Planets Mods That Adds New Planets Without Altering Stock Planets

As a part of another group, I'm asking if there's any known planet mods which adds new planets, without altering the core planets.

If none exist, I may be interested in learning how to make my own planet mod, though I would need help in learning and getting that underway.

Thanks for the help, and thanks again various mod makers out there in making, maintaining and reviving fantastic content which we players can enjoy :D !

GPP (Galileo's Planet Pack) + GPP_Secondary should be fine though. GPP_Secondary will move the GPP system far outside of the stock system, basically you will get two complete planet systems, with their own star. You can add even more planets with GEP (Grannus Expansion Pack). Grannus is a second star implemented by GPP which does not have any planets by default.

In total, these mods will add 2 stars, 15 planets and 20 moons...additional to the stock system. A lot to explore :)

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

GPP (Galileo's Planet Pack) + GPP_Secondary should be fine though. GPP_Secondary will move the GPP system far outside of the stock system, basically you will get two complete planet systems, with their own star. You can add even more planets with GEP (Grannus Expansion Pack). Grannus is a second star implemented by GPP which does not have any planets by default.

In total, these mods will add 2 stars, 15 planets and 20 moons...additional to the stock system. A lot to explore :)

Hm, but are all the new planets around the new star?

The group's activity is such that we can't reach 1c travel and run with the game at about a 2 week-1 game year timestep. So it'd take real life decades to get to these other stars.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Hm, but are all the new planets around the new star?

Yes all of them are around the new star. Traveling from Kerbin to Ciro (center star of the GPP system) takes ~100 in-game years, so yeah...this might not be helpful for your group.

Since you already asked for help to create a planet pack on your own if there is nothing that fits for the requirements: It would be easier to take an existing planet pack and edit the orbits of the planets. This can be done with module manager and you don't need to learn how to create new planets ;)

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Yes all of them are around the new star. Traveling from Kerbin to Ciro (center star of the GPP system) takes ~100 in-game years, so yeah...this might not be helpful for your group.

Since you already asked for help to create a planet pack on your own if there is nothing that fits for the requirements: It would be easier to take an existing planet pack and edit the orbits of the planets. This can be done with module manager and you don't need to learn how to create new planets ;)

Maybe it would be easier to just edit new planets but still need to learn MM :sealed:

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Maybe it would be easier to just edit new planets but still need to learn MM :sealed:

Well, luckily there are many people here in the forum who can help with MM patches :)

I'm still learning as well, but moving a planet cannot be that hard...let's try:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[GPP_Secondary]
{
	@Body[Icarus]
		{
		@Orbit
			{
			@referenceBody = Sun
			//color = 0.4,1,0.4,1
			//inclination = 6
			//eccentricity = 0.1
			@semiMajorAxis = 120496090000
			//longitudeOfAscendingNode = 50
			//argumentOfPeriapsis = 340
			//meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 4.7
			//epoch = 0
			}
		}
}

This will move the planet Icarus from GPP into an orbit beyond Eloo. This example picks up the confiuration from my first post but GPP_Secondary is not necessary for this to work...it is not even useful to install it^^

How to do this with other planets?

Basically, you can copy & paste my patch and adjust it for every planet you want to move. If you don't install GPP_Secondary (which you don't need since you move the planets anyway), you have to change the first line to '@Kopernicus:AFTER[GPP]'. Then change the planet name in the Body node from [Icarus] to any other planet.
Now it starts to become interesting:
'referenceBody = Sun' defines the center of the orbit. All planets got the Sun as their reference body, all moons got their planet as a reference body. I.e. The reference body of Kerbin is the Sun, the reference body of the Mun is Kerbin. So if you move a planet, be sure the reference Body is the Sun. If the planet got any moons, they will follow the planet without any changes!
Now you can change orbital parameters like inclination, eccentricity and so on but the main value which is required to change is the semi major axis which is basically the orbital altitude above the reference body (not exactly but this is not topic of the post^^).
If you want to change other orbital parameter, remove the '//' and place an '@' instead in front of the parameter. If you don't change the values, they will stay the same as in the configuration in the planet pack.

If you want to remove a planet/moon/star, this will do the job (again, replace the name of the planet):

{
	!Body[Icarus]{}		
}

You can also grap a planet pack which will alter stock planets and undo the changes to stock planets ;) This will remove the restriction to planet packs which does not alter the stock system and you can choose every pack you want. 
If you need any help, just ask for it :) 

The "Additional Planets" section of the Community Mods and Plugins Library I am maintaining was made with this in mind (being able to install/uninstall planet mods without messing up your saves).

Spoiler

To only see this category, click the funnel icon left of the "Comments only" thingy, create a temporary view, then on the small upside-down triangle in the Category cell and uncheck everything but Additional Planets.

4 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

The "Additional Planets" section of the Community Mods and Plugins Library I am maintaining was made with this in mind (being able to install/uninstall planet mods without messing up your saves).

:o Why nobody told me about this beautiful piece of work...have to go, exploring new stuff :D

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

40 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Modifies and moves a lot of the stock planets (eeloo becomes a moon, Jool has new/different moons, etc).

OPM doesn't change any of the stock planets...I believe you're thinking of something else.

6 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, luckily there are many people here in the forum who can help with MM patches :)

I'm still learning as well, but moving a planet cannot be that hard...let's try:

{
	@Body[Icarus]
		{
		@Orbit
			{
			@referenceBody = Sun
			//color = 0.4,1,0.4,1
			//inclination = 6
			//eccentricity = 0.1
			@semiMajorAxis = 120496090000
			//longitudeOfAscendingNode = 50
			//argumentOfPeriapsis = 340
			//meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 4.7
			//epoch = 0
			}
		}
}

This will move the planet Icarus from GPP into an orbit beyond Eloo. This example picks up the confiuration from my first post but GPP_Secondary is not necessary for this to work...it is not even useful to install it^^

How to do this with other planets?

Basically, you can copy & paste my patch and adjust it for every planet you want to move. If you don't install GPP_Secondary (which you don't need since you move the planets anyway), you have to change the first line to '@Kopernicus:AFTER[GPP]'. Then change the planet name in the Body node from [Icarus] to any other planet.
Now it starts to become interesting:
'referenceBody = Sun' defines the center of the orbit. All planets got the Sun as their reference body, all moons got their planet as a reference body. I.e. The reference body of Kerbin is the Sun, the reference body of the Mun is Kerbin. So if you move a planet, be sure the reference Body is the Sun. If the planet got any moons, they will follow the planet without any changes!
Now you can change orbital parameters like inclination, eccentricity and so on but the main value which is required to change is the semi major axis which is basically the orbital altitude above the reference body (not exactly but this is not topic of the post^^).
If you want to change other orbital parameter, remove the '//' and place an '@' instead in front of the parameter. If you don't change the values, they will stay the same as in the configuration in the planet pack.

If you want to remove a planet/moon/star, this will do the job (again, replace the name of the planet):

{
	!Body[Icarus]{}		
}

You can also grap a planet pack which will alter stock planets and undo the changes to stock planets ;) This will remove the restriction to planet packs which does not alter the stock system and you can choose every pack you want. 
If you need any help, just ask for it :) 

This is a start!

If I wanted to revert a planet to it's original stats, I know you mentioned I can edit the settings back, but is there a location that I can copy/paste the original orbit information so I can put a planet/moon back to it's stock orbit?

9 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

is there a location that I can copy/paste the original orbit information so I can put a planet/moon back to it's stock orbit?

Not that I know of. I guess the easiest solution would be to pick up these informations from the wiki. So it's not really copy&paste but the best solution I can think of :)

edit: Oh wait...you can probably patch the patch which moves the planet in the first place so the stock planet doesn't move at all :) I'll take a closer look at this option later on, got no time right now.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Not that I know of. I guess the easiest solution would be to pick up these informations from the wiki. So it's not really copy&paste but the best solution I can think of :)

Darn shame. Gonna be a pain transcribing that all from the wiki. But I guess that's a start.

If I delete their entry, will they revert to default

This one ;) The default kopernicus konfiguration doesn't contain many paramaters, basically just the name and the reference body. If you want to change any parameters of a stock planet, you have to add all these informations (like SMA, inclination, or even science values) via module manager and this is exactly, what a planet pack does. So, to revert it to default, it should be possible to undo the MM patch of a planet pack and nothing will be changes.

If you want to try it on your own: pick up a planet pack like OPM which moves Eloo, search for the config file which contains the new Eeloo parameters, and try to write a patch which removes all the new parameters. I'm quiet unexpierenced with these types of patches, but I guess it must be something like this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[OPM]
{
	!Body[Eeloo]{}
	%Body
	{
		%name = Eeloo
		%Orbit
        {
            %referenceBody = Sun
        }
        %Template
        {
            %name = Eeloo
            %removeProgressTree = false
        }
        %Properties
        {
            %ScienceValues
            {

}
        }
        %ScaledVersion
        {

}
        %PQS
        {

}
	}
}

This is untested and probably wrong, but it is the shortest and easiest idea I can think of right now. Basically, this patch would remove all added informations from OPM with '!Body[Eeloo]' and restores the kopernicus default settings below. If copy&pasted some stuff so maybe there is a '}' too much or missing xD I guess it is fine to show the idea.

2 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

This one ;) The default kopernicus konfiguration doesn't contain many paramaters, basically just the name and the reference body. If you want to change any parameters of a stock planet, you have to add all these informations (like SMA, inclination, or even science values) via module manager and this is exactly, what a planet pack does. So, to revert it to default, it should be possible to undo the MM patch of a planet pack and nothing will be changes.

If you want to try it on your own: pick up a planet pack like OPM which moves Eloo, search for the config file which contains the new Eeloo parameters, and try to write a patch which removes all the new parameters. I'm quiet unexpierenced with these types of patches, but I guess it must be something like this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[OPM]
{
	!Body[Eeloo]{}
	%Body
	{
		%name = Eeloo
		%Orbit
        {
            %referenceBody = Sun
        }
        %Template
        {
            %name = Eeloo
            %removeProgressTree = false
        }
        %Properties
        {
            %ScienceValues
            {

}
        }
        %ScaledVersion
        {

}
        %PQS
        {

}
	}
}

This is untested and probably wrong, but it is the shortest and easiest idea I can think of right now. Basically, this patch would remove all added informations from OPM with '!Body[Eeloo]' and restores the kopernicus default settings below. If copy&pasted some stuff so maybe there is a '}' too much or missing xD I guess it is fine to show the idea.

Well I'll have to give this a shot Friday (very business Thursday), but when I try Friday, I will likely contact you or anyone else more with questions :) .

Well I'll have to give this a shot Friday (very business Thursday), but when I try Friday, I will likely contact you or anyone else more with questions :) .

I'm not at home from friday to sunday (maybe even monday...depends on my hangover after the bachelor party^^) but I'm sure there are enough other people around to help you ;)

Btw. a cheap trick would be to delete the config files of the planet pack which messes up the stock planets but depending on how many planets you want/need to do this and if you want to be able to update the original planet pack, the MM variant is way better :)

• 5 months later...

Hi...

Rebooting this ofc lol.

Currently working on a small planet pack (more like a moon pack). Will be focussed on Kerbin SOI. and add 2 or 3 extra moons orbitting Kerbin without altering they stock system.
Idea started to rise as i rather like stocking close to home and expand bases, rather than doing the interstellar things.

A early build will be released shortly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw this post a while ago and finally came around to test all my downloaded planet packs.
Those images bellow show (mostly) all planet packs I found, which also still load in 1.6.1 (and images because to many to link them all at once)
Some may alter parts of the stock system (I know cyran deletes dres) but none of those are system replacements..
If you may desire to have links, then I would happily supply those as well.
unknown.png
Some Star systems (I forgot to add KSS and TWB or TBG)
unknown.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to install the Kargantua mod, could you explain what files I'd need from that zip file to put into my game data folder to make all the shaders etc work correctly? I've downloaded all the newest versions of EVE and scatterer, but I'm unsure about the other folders in that pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.