Superior Galaxy background

Do you agree with what I said  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with what I said

Im not a fan of this the Galaxy background we see the in Kerbal system its dull. It feels repeatative, When I am doing a mission I do not just want to see a repeated background but Maby 1 star that stands out kind of like our North Star nor galaxies and such then when you zoom in a differant than the others. I'm not suggesting a full redo but just changing certain areas to have constellations Maby a Kerbal face or a mk3 capsule hidden in their and a bright star near the North Pole. Lastly I just One a little not in excess but a little of the northern and southern lights on Kerbin. This would give us the view to just not timewarp everything but actually enjoy it for a few minutes. It should feel real and mesmerising like real space not like a child's ceiling stars. 

This would be done when the art team has time not as a main feature

Edited by Cheif Operations Director

Our real life skybox is the same as in game, just a different scene.   I certainly do not want a bunch of drawn in easter eggs.    It just happens that the Kerbol system is in a different location in their galaxy than we are in ours, so what they can see in the night sky is different. 

Some one will definetely correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe you should already be able to use the skybox for navigation, at least for a N/S orientation.  There should be, while on kerbin at least, some body that lies above the poles. 

Aurora probably can't be done in a skybox.  It'd work from a ground view or low altitude, but as soon as you gained orbit, or higher, the Aurora would be out of place.   As soon as you left LKO, the Aurora would still be 'above' you.  Landing on the mun would give the Mun an aurora, not Kerbin. 

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Our real life skybox is the same as in game, just a different scene.   I certainly do not want a bunch of drawn in easter eggs.    It just happens that the Kerbol system is in a different location in their galaxy than we are in ours, so what they can see in the night sky is different. 

Some one will definetely correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe you should already be able to use the skybox for navigation, at least for a N/S orientation.  There should be, while on kerbin at least, some body that lies above the poles. 

Aurora probably can't be done in a skybox.  It'd work from a ground view or low altitude, but as soon as you gained orbit, or higher, the Aurora would be out of place.   As soon as you left LKO, the Aurora would still be 'above' you.  Landing on the mun would give the Mun an aurora, not Kerbin. 

Nothing stands out you can use it for navigation but it's not really useful. I mean just a few stars and such that stand out and a better galaxy. It does not feel individual but very copy paste. Sure the layout may be random and not copy paste but the textures are copy paste. Just look at the "galaxies" we have almost if not identical

I feel like I'm looking at the star space themed floor of chuck e cheese sure it's "random" and differant but the textures are not individual. Or it's like I said a kids bedroom sure the formations of stars may show something and their might be a brightest "star" but in the end it's a glow in the dark 5 point star. 

I want some form if individual nature to it. 

I do not by the way want them to re do it all that is a massive under taking but just to make 10-25% indivudal

Is their a "skybox mod" I'm looking now but you may find it first

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrEwVp96Wdb83AAsRaKnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIycGFrMTEyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANiOTgzY2U5N2FjNWY1ZWI0ODBjMGQ2MzQxN2YwZmVmYgRncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&amp;back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DKsp%2BSkybox%26fr%3Dipad%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&amp;w=1366&amp;h=768&amp;imgurl=media-curse.cursecdn.com%2Fattachments%2F176%2F323%2F5b29333b9105bf818a97c3251262f86f.png&amp;rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmods.curse.com%2Fksp-mods%2Fkerbal%2F241900-vaporos-blue-galaxy-skybox&amp;size=788.7KB&amp;name=Vaporo%26%2339%3Bs+Blue+Galaxy+<b>Skybox<%2Fb>+-+Miscellaneous+-+Kerbal+Space+...&amp;p=Ksp+Skybox&amp;oid=b983ce97ac5f5eb480c0d63417f0fefb&amp;fr2=&amp;fr=ipad&amp;tt=Vaporo%26%2339%3Bs+Blue+Galaxy+<b>Skybox<%2Fb>+-+Miscellaneous+-+Kerbal+Space+...&amp;b=0&amp;ni=108&amp;no=2&amp;ts=&amp;tab=organic&amp;sigr=127odlh1r&amp;sigb=12jp6qogr&amp;sigi=12he4e4ti&amp;sigt=1292uqna2&amp;sign=1292uqna2&amp;.crumb=0sQN5ahmzm8&amp;fr=ipad

Look at that picture something to actually admire

Look at the differance

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrEwVp96Wdb83AAsRaKnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIycGFrMTEyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANiOTgzY2U5N2FjNWY1ZWI0ODBjMGQ2MzQxN2YwZmVmYgRncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&amp;back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DKsp%2BSkybox%26fr%3Dipad%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&amp;w=1366&amp;h=768&amp;imgurl=media-curse.cursecdn.com%2Fattachments%2F176%2F323%2F5b29333b9105bf818a97c3251262f86f.png&amp;rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmods.curse.com%2Fksp-mods%2Fkerbal%2F241900-vaporos-blue-galaxy-skybox&amp;size=788.7KB&amp;name=Vaporo%26%2339%3Bs+Blue+Galaxy+<b>Skybox<%2Fb>+-+Miscellaneous+-+Kerbal+Space+...&amp;p=Ksp+Skybox&amp;oid=b983ce97ac5f5eb480c0d63417f0fefb&amp;fr2=&amp;fr=ipad&amp;tt=Vaporo%26%2339%3Bs+Blue+Galaxy+<b>Skybox<%2Fb>+-+Miscellaneous+-+Kerbal+Space+...&amp;b=0&amp;ni=108&amp;no=2&amp;ts=&amp;tab=organic&amp;sigr=127odlh1r&amp;sigb=12jp6qogr&amp;sigi=12he4e4ti&amp;sigt=1292uqna2&amp;sign=1292uqna2&amp;.crumb=0sQN5ahmzm8&amp;fr=ipad

I'm done ranting now

25 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

It does not feel individual but very copy paste.

Go outside and look up.  I see a couple planets, a whole lotta stars, and some other dots that I know are neither stars nor planets. and the arms of our galaxy.   But basically, it's just a bunch of dots copy and pasted.     Aside from almost being able to see Andromeda Galaxy, and our galaxy, it's just dots.  Granted, I live in a Dark Sky Zone, but most dark areas should give you a good view of the night sky. 

There are constellations in the KSP skybox, you just need to find them.  Just like in our RL sky.  There aren't lines connecting the constellations.   In my backyard, It's dark enough I can usually easily see the extended constellations, and they are often close enough to each other that sometimes I will puts stars in the wrong constellations.

If you want a different skybox, there are mods it I believe.  But there is no good reason to change the stock one at this time.   

Edited by Gargamel

I don't think we can get quite the same "awe" factor :o on a computer screen that the astronauts got from their 360-degree wrap-around ultra-high-dynamic-range view, no matter how fantastic the skybox images are :/.

Agreed.  IMAX monitor anyone? :D

The current skybox is 'ok', as in, it does it's job of providing a reasonable backdrop and space panorama.  It just feels a little 'lacklustre', and in these days of super graphics i think it lets the game down a bit, especially when new players see it.

Personally i would love to see a better one in stock, it just doesn't bother me enough to want to mod another one in.  I would rate clouds etc as a higher priority, but a new skybox feels like it should be a really easy thing to do.

2 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Agreed.  IMAX monitor anyone? :D

The current skybox is 'ok', as in, it does it's job of providing a reasonable backdrop and space panorama.  It just feels a little 'lacklustre', and in these days of super graphics i think it lets the game down a bit, especially when new players see it.

Personally i would love to see a better one in stock, it just doesn't bother me enough to want to mod another one in.  I would rate clouds etc as a higher priority, but a new skybox feels like it should be a really easy thing to do.

It just does not feel like space but more just a zero-G environment I barely notice the stars until I want to and when I do I'm always disappointed 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.