Electrics (photovoltanic panel) problem in new satellite

So I just launched a new satellite into low orbit, electrics were fine, 1x6 solar panels were extended. And then when I tried to transmit seismic data and temperature data the power got sucked out immidietly out of the batteries, and the main problem is they dont recharge. I cheked the solar panels and they dont produce power even though they are almost pointing directly at the sun.

Theres two 1x6 non retractible solar panels (small update - its OX-4L 1x6) and four small (I believe that these are the smallest static panels availible in the vanilla game - update - its OX-STAT), and one of these panels is pointing directly at the sun and produces no power.

Now I dont know what to do and Idk if I should just launch another satellite or wait for.... a miracle?!

solarprob.jpg

Also how do I get the satellite to point at earth with its anteni without using SAS and not going for a geostationary orbit?

UPDATE!!! - I ADDED MORE SCREENSHOTS WHICH SHOW THE PANEL ALLIGNED TO THE SUN. STILL NO BATTERY FLOW

8A2987C830227C7B939FC1941C1AE2812F0B3303131864855B0F625D20962EC056B7CB07115097E467C2BA93F0CDE878494C1EF26A5FD659A6BEF741

Edited by Astrowixa102
Found more screenshots, they will help in...helping

This should be moved to game discussions.

But yeah, this is an odd bug. For the record, the satellite doesn't need to point toward Earth with its antennae; all comms in Kerbal are omnidirectional despite appearances.

Don't know why it wouldn't charge. Do you have more screenshots?

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

Moving this question about how to play the game to Gameplay Questions.

1 hour ago, Astrowixa102 said:

one of these panels is pointing directly at the sun and produces no power.

1. What mods do you have installed?  And is Kopernicus one of them, and if so, what version?
  2. If you right-click on the panel to bring up its menu, what does it say next to where it shows the power output?  (Sometimes it'll show an explanation, such as "blocked by terrain" or whatever).

Also how do I get the satellite to point at earth with its anteni

You don't need to.  Antennas in KSP don't care at all what direction they're physically pointed; they're omnidirectional.  Yes, they're designed to look like they care, e.g. they have parabolic dishes and such, but that's just cosmetic.  So you don't need to worry about which way the spaceship is pointing in order to have communications.

4 hours ago, Astrowixa102 said:

And then when I tried to transmit seismic data and temperature data the power got sucked out immidietly out of the batteries

It's unlikely that it was a seismic reading -- those don't work in space? Perhaps it was a gravioli reading?

In any case yes, transmitting science readings can cost nearly a thousand EC with a cheap antenna, and a resource scan with an expensive antenna can easily cost 4000 EC. Looks like your antenna is an HG55? (A little hard to see from the pic.) That should be on the low end.

My initial guess is that you set the antenna to "partial transmission", and it's still trying to transmit your science experiment. Once it generates enough power to transmit the whole thing, then it'll stop sucking all the juice out of your satellite and you'll be back in control again.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:32 AM, Snark said:

1.What mods do you have installed?  And is Kopernicus one of them, and if so, what version?

Yes I do have Kopernicus 1.4.3 and other mods which do not work. Im playing on version 1.4.5 which is now the latest KSP version available, I cant find any graphics mod for 1.4.5 so just use mods for 1.4.3

I will send you guys some more screenshots and ill check if the panels are not blocked.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:29 AM, bewing said:

It's unlikely that it was a seismic reading -- those don't work in space? Perhaps it was a gravioli reading?

In any case yes, transmitting science readings can cost nearly a thousand EC with a cheap antenna, and a resource scan with an expensive antenna can easily cost 4000 EC. Looks like your antenna is an HG55? (A little hard to see from the pic.) That should be on the low end.

My initial guess is that you set the antenna to "partial transmission", and it's still trying to transmit your science experiment. Once it generates enough power to transmit the whole thing, then it'll stop sucking all the juice out of your satellite and you'll be back in control again.

Forget about the seismic readings, ill often forget what that metal can is supposed to do and its a error all kerbals do...Temperature and I think barometer or the gravioli thing.

Also i think its just dead because if it would want to transmit there would be a text saying that its transmiting to kerbin.

Thanks for the reply

On 8/4/2018 at 12:09 AM, sevenperforce said:

This should be moved to game discussions.

But yeah, this is an odd bug. For the record, the satellite doesn't need to point toward Earth with its antennae; all comms in Kerbal are omnidirectional despite appearances.

Don't know why it wouldn't charge. Do you have more screenshots?

Ill send some more screenshots. So I wasted like 8 hours building satellites so they point earth with thier antennae....kerbals always mess stuff up.

I even thought communitron 16 has to be pointed in a weird fashion because there are "dead zones" on top an under a real antennae

That looks like a modded solar panel. Stock panels are alot more blue:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:OX-STAT.png

Also the static panel (or any panel, I think) should not have tracking body. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

Edited by FireKerb
One of these days I'll find out how pictures really work

On 8/7/2018 at 9:15 PM, Mahnarch said:

I agree that it's probably still transmitting Science™.

Does the electrical resource bar in the upper right flutter between 0.0 and 0.1?

On 8/8/2018 at 12:05 PM, FireKerb said:

It can't be Science because the panel itself is at 0.

Again, I still think it's a mod bug or something.

I think it a bug, i dont see a stutter between 0.0 and 0.1

On 8/6/2018 at 9:41 AM, FireKerb said:

That looks like a modded solar panel. Stock panels are alot more blue:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:OX-STAT.png

Also the static panel (or any panel, I think) should not have tracking body. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

Its a stock panel but with changes textures (thats what I think), I dont know hwta mod changes the look of stuff but nearly every part looks more realistic.

Save deleted - It was probably just a bug because it said *Aborting transmission not enough power*

Nevermind, it was probably just a bug or something else. Save has been deleted

I think it a bug, i dont see a stutter between 0.0 and 0.1

Its a stock panel but with changes textures (thats what I think), I dont know hwta mod changes the look of stuff but nearly every part looks more realistic.

Save deleted - It was probably just a bug because it said *Aborting transmission not enough power*

Nevermind, it was probably just a bug or something else. Save has been deleted

It is not a bug. It is because you do not have enough electric charge. You consume too much charge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.