[1.12] CommNet Antennas Extension / Info / Consumptor (2022-03-12)

flart

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Do I really have to install  RemoteTech-redev just to install this mod? I really don't want to completely re-design / overhaul the entire remote comms system.. I just want bigger antennas that reach further and nothing else. 

Edited by kithylin

38 minutes ago, kithylin said:

I really don't want to completely re-design / overhaul the entire remote comms system

RemoteTech-redev is not a RemoteTech, RemoteTech-redev is just an antennas from the RemoteTech, so  remote comms system will not be re-designed with the CAE.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed some balance issues with the consumptor mod, mostly due to the linear scaling of power consumed. It's trivial for anything in the inner solar system, and very expensive for long-range communications, particularly for those using OPM or other mods which add planets unreachable by 100G antennas.

IRL, an omnidirectional antenna would consume power proportional to the square of distance, which is why pretty much everything going outside of Earth's orbit uses a directional dish antenna: the bigger the dish, the more focused the beam. This is part of why the higher-power dishes in the game are heavier: they're representing more mass dedicated to the reflector.

There are three potential solutions, of which I'm trying option #3 (the easiest to implement).

1) Go full on Real Antennas, try to measure the size of the in-game model to figure out the gain, and potentially add a transmitter power value so one can pump more or less power into the same antenna.

2) Assume mass is correlated to the gain, and scale consumption accordingly.

3) Scale all antennas by a fixed power, for which right now I'm trying 0.4.

The modified .cfg is spoilered at the bottom.

On a sidenote, I've also taken the liberty of replacing the first two :LAST[CommNetConsumptor] statements with FOR[CommNetConsumptor] statements; that makes it easier for people to modify your values later.

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitte*]:HAS[#antennaType[RELAY]]]:FOR[CommNetAntennasConsumptor]
{
	tempVarCAC = #$MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitte*]/antennaPower$
    @tempVarCAC *= 0.00000000001
	@tempVarCAC != 0.4
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitte*]:HAS[#antennaType[DIRECT]]]:FOR[CommNetAntennasConsumptor]
{
	tempVarCAC = #$MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitte*]/antennaPower$
    @tempVarCAC *= 0.00000000001
	@tempVarCAC != 0.4
    @tempVarCAC *= 0.4
}

// INTERNAL Antennas Consumption is disabled, because 0.8 EC/year doesn't make a difference.
//@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitte*]:HAS[#antennaType[INTERNAL]]]:FOR[CommNetAntennasConsumptor]
//{
//	  tempVarCAC = #$MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitte*]/antennaPower$
//    @tempVarCAC *= 0.00000000001
//}

@PART[*]:HAS[#tempVarCAC]:LAST[CommNetAntennasConsumptor]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGeneratorAntenna
        isAlwaysActive = false
        INPUT_RESOURCE
        {    
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = #$../../tempVarCAC$
        }
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#tempVarCAC]:LAST[CommNetAntennasConsumptor]
{
     -tempVarCAC = none
}

Edited by Starman4308

On 5/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, Starman4308 said:

Scale all antennas by a fixed power, for which right now I'm trying 0.4.

Nice idea, that makes:

5M → 0.00005^(0.4) = 0.019EC/s
100G → 1EC/s
10T = 100^0.4 = 6.3EC/s

replacing the first two :LAST[CommNetConsumptor] statements with FOR[CommNetConsumptor] statements; that makes it easier for people to modify your values later.

iirc :LAST appeared for a reason,  through idr why. JNSQ doesn't look like it, it has :LAST[JNSQ] so my patches still run before JNSQ ones. 

Edited by flart

• 1 month later...

This mod is throwing an exception when I select or load a vessel with some Antenna:

[TransmitterModule]: Part Module 1 doesn't implement IScalarModule

I installed this mog using 'CKAN', and only installed "CommNet Antennas Info" and "CommNet Antennas Consumptor". With more tests I realize that is the second (CommNet Antennas Consumptor) that is causing this exception!

* Only some antennas cause this, all of that are stock!

** I think that this error only happens with fixed antennas, that not have the 'Deploy' option!

Thanks.

Edited by Dominiquini
More info...

10 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

Only some antennas cause this, all of that are stock!

It is the undeployable antennas with the ModuleCargoPart defined in the parts itself,
and error appears because DeployFxModules = 1 need to know exact index of ModuleAntennaToggler in a Part, and new defined ModuleCargoPart in the stock antennas changed that index.
So it will be fixed in the next version.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, flart said:

replacing the first two :LAST[] statements with FOR[] statements; that makes it easier for people to modify your values later.

iirc :LAST appeared for a reason,  through idr why.

found it, it's CA Extension, it modifies powers in :AFTER[RemoteTech-Antennas],
so these patches need to be after that, and after any patch, that modify power, so that why it was :LAST.
 It should work with the :FOR[zzzCommNetAntennasConsumptor]

CommNet Antennas Consumptor 3.5.0
Changes since 3.0.3:

• ksp 1.12
  • Fix a bug with unrectactable antennas with ModuleCargoPart
  • Fix wrong consumption for CAE antennas (patch order problem introduce in v3.1.0)
  • Scale consumption for a power of 0.4 (thanks to @Starman4308 for an idea)
    By default, RELAY Consumption is:
    5M   → 0.00005 ^ 0.4 = 0.019 EC/s
    2G   → 0.02    ^ 0.4 = 0.2 EC/s
    100G → 1       ^ 0.4 = 1 EC/s
    10T  → 100     ^ 0.4 = 6.3 EC/s

Edited by flart

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CommNet Antennas Info 3.1.0

• add Vessel Antenna Rating and Vessel Relay Rating
    • a button in the PAW of Internal Antenna (probes, pods) in the Editor and Flight 
    • support NF:Exploration
  • optimizations
  • MM 4.2.1

zyUIQ5d.jpeg

CommNet Antennas Consumptor 3.5.2

• ksp 1.12.2
  • MM 4.2.1

CommNet Antennas Extension 2.1.5

• lower volumes based on bounding box
  • MM 4.2.1

Edited by flart

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Info 3.1.2

• fix KSPCommunityFixes incompatibility

Consumptor 3.5.5

• fix info strings in the editor
  • make ModuleAntennaToggler patch more flexible
    if you want to test this on your hardmoded install, check for errors on taking parts with ModuleDataTransmitter in the VAB
    Errors (if any) will be like: [ERR 15:17:01.258] [TransmitterModule]: Part Module # doesn't implement IScalarModule
  • fix KSPCommunityFixes incompatibility

Extension 2.1.7

• added Chinese translation (github.com/Aebestach)

Edited by flart

• 2 months later...

I'm using CNA Consumptor, AmpYear, and Kerbalism together.  Although the EC consumption is visible in the Kerbalism windows both in the VAB and in-flight, they're NOT visible in the usage or calculations for AmpYear.  I'm not sure if this has to do with how the consumption is exposed to other mods - is this something that might require a change to CNA Consumptor and/or AmpYear in order to work together?

8 hours ago, Strych74 said:

I'm using CNA Consumptor, AmpYear, and Kerbalism together. 

Kerbalism by itself replace the info panel as it want it to be, and it includes CommNetAntennaConsumptor functionality,
so CAInfo/CAConsumptor is not recommended for the Kerbalism.
I will add Kerbalism to conflicts in the CKAN for them.

8 hours ago, Strych74 said:

is this something that might require a change to CNA Consumptor and/or AmpYear in order to work together?

I'm not familar with the AmpYear, but looks like it need some work for supporting  Commnet Antennas Consumptor, @JPLRepo

2 minutes ago, flart said:

Kerbalism by itself replace the info panel as it want it to be, and it includes CommNetAntennaConsumptor functionality,

Hey @flart,

Is "CommNet Antennas Extension" compatible with Kerbalism?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 5:32 AM, flart said:

I'm not familar with the AmpYear, but looks like it need some work for supporting  Commnet Antennas Consumptor, @JPLRepo

No doubt it does. A request can be made to add support. I have to say it's going to be terribly low on my list though. ie. Probably never happen.

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, Evolution_Gaming said:

help, kerbalism is conflicting with commnet. i use CKAN to download mods and it is NOT allowing me to download kerbalism with commnet mods.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:32 PM, flart said:

so CAInfo/CAConsumptor is not recommended for the Kerbalism

If you want to install Kerbalism on CKAN, you need to remove CAI/CAC first

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.