[1.12.3] Kerbal Wind Tunnel 1.3.1.1

Booots

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 7:42 AM, dxeh said:

trying to run this in 1.7 but Flight Envelope remains at: 

"Calcualting... (100.0%)"

Any idea's? AoA Curves etc seem to work normal, the graph just wont generate

That happens for me when the craft can't take off with the engines that are enabled in the first stage.

Speaking of engine switching, @Booots, it would be even nicer if the optimal ascent calculation also let you pick the starting conditions, for planning the flight of spaceplanes after switching engines or engine modes.

Also, should the new axis settings work to calculate the flight envelope over a wider range of conditions? I'd really like to be able to plot spaceplane performance all the way up to the top of the atmosphere and orbital speed.

Edited by Johould

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, AloE said:

at least for version 1.2.2 @Booots indicated in the release "Still no FAR support, just a little more work to do."

Yeah... I got real close, but was running into threading issues (which are always a huge pain to sort out) and then got distracted with other projects because stock aero was good enough for me (since I don't personally use FAR). When I have more time for modding I'll take another crack at it. Probably in the fall or early winter when I'm less inclined to be hanging out outdoors or doing house renovations.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:07 AM, Johould said:

It seems to work in 1.7. The flight envelope only gets stuck at 100% if the craft can't lift off with the active first-stage engines.

This is true. I still mean to build a mode for gliders (to help with EDL), but that will involve a significant amount of work since the level-flight assumption is, by definition of gliding, no longer accurate.

Thanks everyone for your patience!

4 hours ago, Booots said:

fall or early winter when I'm less inclined to be hanging out outdoors

I totally endorse the being outdoors (whether doorstep or open spaces :-)  Thanks very much for the update on your effort investigating it & even considering taking another look at it in the winter! 

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 12:42 AM, dxeh said:

trying to run this in 1.7 but Flight Envelope remains at: 

"Calcualting... (100.0%)"

Any idea's? AoA Curves etc seem to work normal, the graph just wont generate

Would you mind to check if you have basic deltaV mod installed? I solved this issue and display panther & rapier flight envelope correctly by uninstall it.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:52 AM, Bla Bla said:

Hi,

I just created an account to report a bug for this mod :

I've got the grey box bug too. The mods I was using were : Kerbal Engineer Redux, RCS Build Aid (extremely useful mod !), ClickThroughBlocker, Toolbar Controller.

At some point I also had FAR, Module Manager and Modular Flight Integrator.

Originally I thought it was due to conflict with some other mod, so I uninstalled them all (using CKAN) and started a new save.

Still got the grey box bug, so I did some testing :

Everything works fine with most engines, but whenever the craft includes one or more engines with two modes (Panther or RAPIER), the flight enveloppe is not displayed : It's either the GUI is displayed properly and the loading goes all the way to 100% and stays at 100% without displaying the graphs (but in the other tabs like AOA the graphs are displayed), or if it has not been loaded before the (expanded) GUI is not displayed at all and remain as a grey box (and then there is no button to even access the AOA tab). Something seems to be happening on computer side however as the game slows down while the grey box is opened.

For these reasons I believe it is more an issue happening with the display than the actual calculations. Hope that it somehow helped to solve the bug !

Same as above, would you mind to check if you have basic deltaV mod installed? I solved this issue and display panther & rapier flight envelope correctly by uninstall it.

This is a great mod and when I switch to FAR I simply can't stand without it.

Edited by ioulaum

• 1 month later...

Can someone inform me on how to export the data to a .csv file? I see a small button near the graph but pressing it seemingly does nothing. Related: is there a way to export data varying both altitude and velocity? I’m holding to do so in order to build a complete drag profile of my ships if possible. Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 1:17 AM, BobTheRocketeer said:

Can someone inform me on how to export the data to a .csv file? I see a small button near the graph but pressing it seemingly does nothing. Related: is there a way to export data varying both altitude and velocity? I’m holding to do so in order to build a complete drag profile of my ships if possible. Thanks in advance

I'm also having difficulty with exporting csvs. After pushing the export button I tried searching my computer with a wildcard (*.csv), but didn't find anything.

17 minutes ago, MotherFox said:

I'm also having difficulty with exporting csvs. After pushing the export button I tried searching my computer with a wildcard (*.csv), but didn't find anything.

I don't use this, but is it possible that you need to specify ".csv" as the suffix to the file name?  Try searching for the exact filename you entered and see what happens

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't use this, but is it possible that you need to specify ".csv" as the suffix to the file name?  Try searching for the exact filename you entered and see what happens

Unfortunately, the mod doesn't let you specify an exact filename. When I conducted my wildcard search I did get a list of 10 csv files I knew were on my computer, so I suspect that either the feature isn't working or I'm not using it correctly in some fashion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey folks, sorry that work stalled on this. I'll try to get around to getting FAR support - with the update to .Net 4.6.1, threading things should become somewhat easier. I'll also look into the CSV output problems - last time I tested the export feature it worked for me.

7 minutes ago, Booots said:

Hey folks, sorry that work stalled on this. I'll try to get around to getting FAR support - with the update to .Net 4.6.1, threading things should become somewhat easier. I'll also look into the CSV output problems - last time I tested the export feature it worked for me.

I love you, and can't wait to be able to use this tool with FAR. Amazing work!

37 minutes ago, DownHereInChile said:

I love you, and can't wait to be able to use this tool with FAR. Amazing work!

Ditto on this! Glad to see an update, and thanks for your hard work @Booots

Just tried this in 1.8.1 on the off chance it works, but got a crash:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q19uC2N4zmzUqEkKXZCCPSvXjtyV0kz6/view?usp=sharing

I loaded up a previously made craft, and pressed the KWT button, and the calculating % stayed at 0. Then I pressed the drag overlay, and it seemed to work with some parts glowing red, but it crashed shortly after that.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, Booots said:

I'm not using FAR, so I would love an update of this whether or not it has FAR support.

in 1.9.1 I am having the same error:

[LOG 23:18:36.084] System.OverflowException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_array_new_2(intptr,intptr,intptr)
  at KerbalWindTunnel.DataGenerators.EnvelopeSurf.GetOptimalPath (KerbalWindTunnel.AeroPredictor vessel, KerbalWindTunnel.DataGenerators.EnvelopeSurf+Conditions conditions, System.Single exitSpeed, System.Single exitAlt, System.Single initialSpeed, System.Single initialAlt, KerbalWindTunnel.DataGenerators.EnvelopeSurf+CostIncreaseFunction costIncreaseFunc, System.Predicate`1[T] neighborPredicate, System.Single[,] predicateData, KerbalWindTunnel.DataGenerators.EnvelopeSurf+CostIncreaseFunction timeFunc) [0x000ba] in <c79c2577fc6c47ad8b3f39475acfaf61>:0 
  at KerbalWindTunnel.DataGenerators.EnvelopeSurf.OptimalLineTask (System.Object obj) [0x00007] in <c79c2577fc6c47ad8b3f39475acfaf61>:0 
  at KerbalWindTunnel.Threading.ThreadPool.ThreadTask (System.Object idObj) [0x00029] in <c79c2577fc6c47ad8b3f39475acfaf61>:0 

• 1 month later...

Just want to say what an amazing mod this is.

I dont know how anyone can design atmospheric aircraft without this, the curves show so many things about the flight envelope it would be such a pain(and inconsistent) to find out by trial-and-error.  Maybe it is just that people dont understand this mod and why its useful?  That their aircraft can maybe perform a lot better/differently if they use a different ascent profile, what the ceiling will be, what the top speed will be. 

Basially this mod shows : HOW AN AIRCRAFT AUGHT TO BE FLOWN TO GET THE MOST OUT OF IT.  If folks understood that, I would bet it would be a massively more popular mod.

And there are many ways to fly, and most people are guessing or never reaching their aircraft's potential.  Use this mod, then you will with 100% consistency.

Amazing, critical information.

For me this is a mission-critical mod, and I sincerely thank you for creating and updating it.

Gavin786

The new version of .Net supported by the recent updates opens up some new opportunities for multi-threading and makes some of my earlier hacky workarounds unnecessary. In and around some IRL renovations to my house, I'm going to be re-attacking this mod to make use of those and hopefully solve some of the bugs you've encountered.

I'm still not making any guarantees about FAR support. I was running into some cross-threading issues last time using their API. These are always tricky to isolate to a specific method but maybe I'll get lucky this time around!

Booots,

Thank you for the mod! It looks great from the screen caps. I can't wait to use it!

I'm having similar issues to those reported above (flight envelope stuck at 0.0%, running KSP 1.9.1, KER, RCS Build Aid Continued, Editor Extensions Redux, Click Through Blocker, Toolbar Controller, Zero MiniAVC on a Mac), and I noticed something odd. If I clicked on a point on one of the other charts (AoA, etc), it will display the data for that point.  I went back to the flight envelope chart, I saw the same detail display, except now it was showing the flight envelope iterating through different altitudes.  What was strange was that the altitudes looked negative.

Is it possible that the overflow error reported by Rauko (and the error I'm observing) is from the calculation attempting to calculate values to the negative limit of whatever variable type you're using for the altitude?  If allowed to continue, perhaps it eventually ends with an overflow?

Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.