Booots

[1.7.x] Kerbal Wind Tunnel 1.2.1

Recommended Posts

On 11/5/2018 at 2:44 AM, Booots said:

Yep! I made sure to include that fix in the latest release. If you think it's still inaccurate, feel free to double check my math here: https://github.com/DBooots/KerbalWindTunnel/blob/1.2/Wind Tunnel/Wind Tunnel/DataGenerators/EnvelopeSurf.cs#L345

Also, @AeroGav, I love seeing what you're doing with this mod! Thanks, and keep it up!

 

Can you guys post logs when that happens? I couldn't see anything suspicious in the first log @Raiden60 posted, so the more info the better. Because it sounds like it might be related to my threading system, what sort of CPU are you guys running on?

hmmm...I just encountered the 0% hang in 1.4.5 after changing B9 with CKAN and then calso hanging the version of FAR from rsparkyc which is based on 1.3.1 FAR  to a 1.4.5 backport of 1.5 "Lighthill" FAR Continued...

changed back to the rsparkyc FAR 1.4.5 recompile version based on 1.3.1 & reloaded KSP... WindTunnel is calculating again...

is FAR being used by anyone else with the 0% hang issue...if so what version since 1.4.5 does not have an official FAR release?

(ksp.log entries after entering SPH seemed unremarkable...things loaded..mostly just FAR index searches...)

I am not skilled in aero (want to use this and FAR to experiment with/explore effect of wing shapes in KSP...hopefully to learn from these mod models :-)

so not (yet) able to assess if the envelope plots are even reasonable

(the Kranker craft in an earlier post is built in 1.5 so Iit would not load in 1.4.5 to compare with those plots)...

or if the wings are being excluded in the WindTunnel analysis (no lift highlight on wings?...does that require Anti-aliasing to show?) ...here is an example:..Thanks!

Spoiler

q012rFi.png

 

 

Edited by AloE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AloE I don't think this mod is currently compatible with FAR:

On 8/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, Booots said:

Speaking of FAR... It's not currently compatible, but I would like to add that. The challenge is multithreading the FAR calculations. I scratched together enough open-source info on the stock aero stuff to make a threadsafe aero calculator, but FAR's methods are not threadsafe. So I could add it now, but it would take a few minutes to generate a flight envelope (instead of a few seconds). I'm hoping to work with the FAR devs to find a way forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, neistridlar said:

@AloE I don't think this mod is currently compatible with FAR:

Exactly. Until/unless FAR makes improvements to their API that lets me access the data I need (or I recreate their methods inside of this mod, which introduces maintainability, versioning, and potentially licensing issues), FAR unfortunately can't be compatible with this. I would really like to make them work, though.

Good news everyone! I managed to recreate the 0% hang-up. Now I can work on figuring out why it's happening. My debug logs show nothing, which is super... helpful. The bad news is that you'll have to wait for the new axes adjustment feature, which is all ready to go, because I want to include this bug fix in the next release. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Booots said:

I would really like to make them work, though.

I always thought this was just a stock aero version of FAR's analysis tools. If you're thinking of making it compatible with FAR also, would this then supplement the existing FAR analysis tools or outright replace them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I always thought this was just a stock aero version of FAR's analysis tools. If you're thinking of making it compatible with FAR also, would this then supplement the existing FAR analysis tools or outright replace them?

I haven't personally tried FAR (nothing against it, I'm just happy enough with the new stock aero), so I don't know what analysis tools it has. I would never claim to outright replace something another mod provides, so I'd imagine this supplementing FAR's analysis tools with some more comprehensive info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I always thought this was just a stock aero version of FAR's analysis tools. If you're thinking of making it compatible with FAR also, would this then supplement the existing FAR analysis tools or outright replace them?

There is some overlap in the information between the tools in FAR and this mod, but there is a lot of thing this mod does that FAR does not, and vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dkavolis said:

It is definitely in my scope of interest...however making FAR compatible with Kerbal Wind Tunnel should be easier and faster. I'll look into what can be done. Thanks.

I very much hope no major obstacles emerge that would prevent Booots & Dkavolis from enabling/creating some great compatible combination to emerge :-)  Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AloE said:

I very much hope no major obstacles emerge that would prevent Booots & Dkavolis from enabling/creating some great compatible combination to emerge :-)  Thanks all!

@dkavolis and I are chatting in DMs right now, and it's looking promising. :)

23 hours ago, neistridlar said:

There is some overlap in the information between the tools in FAR and this mod, but there is a lot of thing this mod does that FAR does not, and vice versa.

Is there any other tools you think would be a good fit to add to the Wind Tunnel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright! Good news! I think I found and squashed the "Stuck at 0%" bug. Try out the newest version (1.2.1) and let me know if it persists.

This version also includes the much-asked-for feature of adjusting graph axes at will. Just click the settings button to the bottom left of the graph. The save data button has moved to the right side to accommodate the new button. Once you click 'Apply', the graph will show the new range. Be patient, because if the old data doesn't cover the new range, the graphs will refresh once the new data has been calculated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 7:03 PM, Booots said:

Is there any other tools you think would be a good fit to add to the Wind Tunnel?

I use CorrectCOL to get my aircraft close. It's pretty useful. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Edited by GDJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@neistridlar I tried making some stability envelope plots tonight. I managed to get it plotting stability range (range of stable AoAs around equilibrium), pitch torque coefficient derivative around AoA_level, and what I called stability score (the integral of the restoring force coefficient within the bounds of the stability range).

Unfortunately, It ended up making the computing time longer than what I think is acceptable. I think I might just leave it disabled in the code for now unless I can figure out how to speed it up. After all, users can use the AoA plots to try speed/altitude combinations that are relevant to them for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 2:30 AM, Booots said:

@neistridlar I tried making some stability envelope plots tonight. I managed to get it plotting stability range (range of stable AoAs around equilibrium), pitch torque coefficient derivative around AoA_level, and what I called stability score (the integral of the restoring force coefficient within the bounds of the stability range).

Unfortunately, It ended up making the computing time longer than what I think is acceptable. I think I might just leave it disabled in the code for now unless I can figure out how to speed it up. After all, users can use the AoA plots to try speed/altitude combinations that are relevant to them for now.

Yeah I wouldn't fret over this too much.  This is already a very useful mod - CorrectCoL has the stability analysis if you want that (actually,  almost everyone does, they just don't realise it).     Though if you ever get this to work it will save me having to install 3 other mods - CorrectCoL,  and it's dependencies Toolbarcontroller and Clickthrough blocker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Boots I have played around with 1.2.1 now. I like the way you did the axes settings. I found a little bug with it though. The little popup window that appears when you right click parts becomes "click through" and does not respond to mouse clicks when the axes window is open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 11:18 AM, neistridlar said:

@Boots I have played around with 1.2.1 now. I like the way you did the axes settings. I found a little bug with it though. The little popup window that appears when you right click parts becomes "click through" and does not respond to mouse clicks when the axes window is open.

Right, that's because I'm trying to use the stock PopupDialog for that window (because it's apparently better?) and it has a very aggressive input lock. I don't think there's anything I can do unless I migrate that window back to the old OnGUI style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2018 at 10:12 PM, GDJ said:

I use CorrectCOL to get my aircraft close. It's pretty useful. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Correct COL kind of graphs with simple stability indication would be usefull for me also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I just created an account to report a bug for this mod :

I've got the grey box bug too. The mods I was using were : Kerbal Engineer Redux, RCS Build Aid (extremely useful mod !), ClickThroughBlocker, Toolbar Controller.

At some point I also had FAR, Module Manager and Modular Flight Integrator.

Originally I thought it was due to conflict with some other mod, so I uninstalled them all (using CKAN) and started a new save.

Still got the grey box bug, so I did some testing :

Everything works fine with most engines, but whenever the craft includes one or more engines with two modes (Panther or RAPIER), the flight enveloppe is not displayed : It's either the GUI is displayed properly and the loading goes all the way to 100% and stays at 100% without displaying the graphs (but in the other tabs like AOA the graphs are displayed), or if it has not been loaded before the (expanded) GUI is not displayed at all and remain as a grey box (and then there is no button to even access the AOA tab). Something seems to be happening on computer side however as the game slows down while the grey box is opened.

For these reasons I believe it is more an issue happening with the display than the actual calculations. Hope that it somehow helped to solve the bug !

 

Edited by Bla Bla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been no response from the mod author, so posting here as well. It looks like this mod is broken and abandoned at this stage. Dunbaratu from the KOS mod narrowed down the exact cause of the problems this mod is causing to all other mods installed with it, and posted here: https://github.com/DBooots/KerbalWindTunnel/issues/5

Just thought everyone else should know before trying this mod, seeing as the author seems to have abandoned it. (Which is a shame, I really like the concept for the mod).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow, @Snoman314, you have an awfully low bar for "abandoned", given that it's been exactly two weeks since you raised that issue. I have the same container of milk in my fridge now as I did then!

Dunbaratu, in fact, has since un-narrowed it down, and the issue was never with "all other mods installed with it", just your report of kOS.

I saw the email alert for this post (because I follow all developments with my work quite diligently) at 5:30 this morning and got so worked up by your misleading and incorrect claims that it is "broken and abandoned" that I couldn't go back to sleep. I kept thinking of all the ranting things I wanted to say, but I'll restrain myself - this is a thread about my mod, not about why mod-makers often seem so frustrated.

I will look into the issue in case I can do anything to relieve the problem, but until then, use the workaround you've already identified so you can have your kOS and Wind Tunnel too.

Just thought everyone should know before trying this mod: it's really awesome, took hundreds of hours to create, seems to works for 99% of users, and is in no way abandoned.

-Sincerely, the author.

-----

@Bla Bla, I haven't forgotten about your issue, I just haven't been able to recreate it myself to track down the root cause, even with multi-mode engines.

Edited by Booots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Booots said:

 seems to works for 99% of users


This isn't your fault.  Take a deep breath.  Whatever the problem is, it seems to be caused by something Squad changed in KSP 1.7 from underneath you.  But whatever the cause, it's still true that accord.dll isn't loading right now in KSP 1.7.

But this "99% of users" comment makes be think you might have had the misconception that Wind Tunnel only failed when kOS was also installed and so it is working fine for everyone who doesn't use kOS..  I want to help clarify that even without kOS installed, Wind Tunnel causes this message in the log when KSP loads all the DLLs, which for all I know might be causing a lot more problems for your users than just interactions with kOS:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'Accord': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

For all I know maybe a mere recompile against KSP 1.7 DLLs is all it takes to make it work again?  I don't know.

kOS's error *exposed* but did not *cause* the problem where accord.dll isn't loading.

kOS had a fragile reflection walk that would fail if any other mod's DLL didn't load.  I have now made a PR where I inserted protective exception handling to work around this so kOS is protected if its reflection walk comes across someone's broken Assembly that didn't load.  But that doesn't fix whatever the original problem was in the first place that made the other DLL (in this case, the file accord.dll that is included in Wind Tunnel) fail to load.

Edited by Steven Mading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Booots said:

Wow, @Snoman314, you have an awfully low bar for "abandoned", given that it's been exactly two weeks since you raised that issue. I have the same container of milk in my fridge now as I did then!

Dunbaratu, in fact, has since un-narrowed it down, and the issue was never with "all other mods installed with it", just your report of kOS.

I saw the email alert for this post (because I follow all developments with my work quite diligently) at 5:30 this morning and got so worked up by your misleading and incorrect claims that it is "broken and abandoned" that I couldn't go back to sleep. I kept thinking of all the ranting things I wanted to say, but I'll restrain myself - this is a thread about my mod, not about why mod-makers often seem so frustrated.

Awesome to hear from you @Booots. Apologies for offending you with my post. I did legitimately think that this mod was abandoned - as you say, the issue was raised 2 weeks ago, and this is the first time you've acknowledged it. Combine that with no activity on the Github or this forum thread in approximately 4 months, and I thought it was a reasonable conclusion.

 

8 hours ago, Booots said:

I will look into the issue in case I can do anything to relieve the problem, but until then, use the workaround you've already identified so you can have your kOS and Wind Tunnel too.

A small correction here: I have identified no workaround. I found that uninstalling Wind Tunnel fixed all the mod issues I was having, including the one I first raised with the kOS team. That's the only solution I've found.

 

8 hours ago, Booots said:

Just thought everyone should know before trying this mod: it's really awesome, took hundreds of hours to create, seems to works for 99% of users, and is in no way abandoned.

-Sincerely, the author.

I agree, it's an awesome mod! I hope it to see an update at some point so I can continue using it :D

Edited by Snoman314

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

Awesome to hear from you @Booots. Apologies for offending you with my post. I did legitimately think that this mod was abandoned - as you say, the issue was raised 2 weeks ago, and this is the first time you've acknowledged it. Combine that with no activity on the Github or this forum thread in approximately 4 months, and I thought it was a reasonable conclusion.

2 weeks really isn't enough time to draw that conclusion when people are just doing the work in their spare time.  When we formed a consortium of users to take over kOS and fork the repo, it was only after a good 4 to 5 months of the original author having "gone dark" without any reply to the pointed question "Do you mind if someone else takes over development?".  The author wasn't just silent about kOS, but also had no more posts of any kind to any of his social media accounts (which had been active before and then just totally stopped).  We literally couldn't reach him at all through any means we tried, for months, and even so still waited 4 or 5 months of dead silence before deciding it was fair to treat it as "abandoned" without the author explicitly saying so.

The point is, 2 weeks is a bit premature to be drawing that kind of conclusion.  People have other lives.  Being gone for a couple of weeks is normal.  Also, you cannot make the assumption, "Oh I posted an issue to github, therefore the author would notice if they were active."  If not a lot of users have previously engaged the author through the github repo's issues page, the author may not be in the habit of using that as a channel of communication and might not be looking there as frequently as they look here at the forum.

Edited by Steven Mading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting! It turns out the Accord Core library never loaded correctly, even on KSP 1.6. But, since the parts of Accord that WindTunnel relies on are in Accord.Math and didn't have any dependencies on Accord Core, the mod worked fine all along.

I investigated exactly which types were not loading by comparing the loaded types vs nulls to the types that Accord contains. It turns out that the only types not loading are ones derived from System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations, which isn't included in the default Unity compilation.

Anyways, since that's not likely to change any time soon, I extracted the needed classes from Accord.Math and published a release. This should fix any issues with this. It comes at the cost of not being able to receive updates to Accord, but compatibility with other mods is more important.

Hopefully everyone's happy now! :D Sorry if I was grouchy the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 4:27 PM, Snoman314 said:

Awesome to hear from you @Booots. Apologies for offending you with my post. I did legitimately think that this mod was abandoned - as you say, the issue was raised 2 weeks ago, and this is the first time you've acknowledged it. Combine that with no activity on the Github or this forum thread in approximately 4 months, and I thought it was a reasonable conclusion.

Plesse keep in mind that mod authors are people who have real lives and jobs which take precedence of modding.  I’ve adopted more than my fair share of mods, and in all cases that I can recall, they were months or years old.  There are some exceptions, usually because i picked up a mod when an author announced their imminent departure.  I also always try to contact the original author as well; I know that so e people disagree with me regarding licenses, but I feel its .courteous to ask first, even if a license doesn't require it.  In all cases where the author  replied, they were very happy to grant permission.  There have been a few who requested that I not proceed, and in all cases i did as they asked.  There is one exception, which I’ll leave unsaid, no need to wake up old issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Steven Mading said:

2 weeks really isn't enough time to draw that conclusion when people are just doing the work in their spare time. 

 

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Plesse keep in mind that mod authors are people who have real lives and jobs which take precedence of modding. 

Consider me corrected. I understand and agree with what you're saying. I guess I figured that if I personally hadn't acknowledged something after 2 weeks, it means I never will, and then applied that here. Apologies again to @Booots.

 

3 hours ago, Booots said:

Anyways, since that's not likely to change any time soon, I extracted the needed classes from Accord.Math and published a release. This should fix any issues with this. It comes at the cost of not being able to receive updates to Accord, but compatibility with other mods is more important.

Hopefully everyone's happy now! :D Sorry if I was grouchy the other day.

Awesome! I'm going to check it out right now! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

trying to run this in 1.7 but Flight Envelope remains at: 

"Calcualting... (100.0%)"

Any idea's? AoA Curves etc seem to work normal, the graph just wont generate

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.