air speed record

so i challenge you to a air speed record challenge.  you have to be in the atmosphere of kerbin, to check your speed hit f3 at the end of your run, list your maximum speed over land

you cant use mods but you can use modified .cfgs for stock thrusters, no other modifications allowed  (they cant be  over 1000 thrust )

you can use infinite fuel and ignore max temp

my recording

Edited by anytarseir67
i dun goofed

Do we have to stay within the atmosphere? Because if not, just accelerating to any absurd speed you like in space and then aiming for a 69 km Kerbin periapsis seems like a winning strategy.

If we do have to stay within the atmosphere, I suspect the winning strategy is instead a powered orbit (i.e. thrusting nearly straight up in order to stay at a constant altitude while moving faster than normal orbital velocity) just below 70 km.

Edited by vyznev

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Infinite fuel and ignore max temp?

I mean....how fast do you want to go?

I can do double solar escape velocity within sight of KSC

I'm assuming he wants us to do it without cheating.

3 hours ago, vyznev said:

Do we have to stay within the atmosphere? Because if not, just accelerating to any absurd speed you like in space and then aiming for a 69 km Kerbin periapsis seems like a winning strategy.

If we do have to stay within the atmosphere, I suspect the winning strategy is instead a powered orbit (i.e. thrusting nearly straight up in order to stay at a constant altitude while moving faster than normal orbital velocity) just below 70 km.

it says you have to stay in the atmosphere

@TheTripleAce3  ran a similar challenge a while back ago. @Stratzenblitz75 pulled off over 2000 mps at 988 meters of altitude. That's a pretty high bar.  I managed 1700 before my craft disintegrated.  In this challenge, heat was THE factor, so it will be interesting to see what happens in your challenge.

Edited by Klapaucius

21 hours ago, anytarseir67 said:

dude if you would read it it says you can use them

That makes it soo not fun and not fair. I give this thread 1 star.

37 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

@TheTripleAce3  ran a similar challenge a while back ago. @Stratzenblitz75 pulled off over 2000 mps at 988 meters of altitude. That's a pretty high bar.  I managed 1700 before my craft disintegrated.  In this challenge, heat was THE factor, so it will be interesting to see what happens in your challenge.

just wanna say speeds will be significantly higher i managed 39,906 mph in atmosphere

6 hours ago, anytarseir67 said:

how is that not fair , you still have to deal with drag and weight, besides it is fair because EVERYONE CAN USE THE CHEATS

<Sigh>... Basically, ALL challenges(99%)ban cheats because it makes it unfair. @Dman979/ @Vanamonde, can you explain what I mean to him?

On 8/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, anytarseir67 said:

[snip]

And is anyone gonna stop discussing cheats and actually make a post about their attempt?

This. ^^^

The challenge maker sets the challenge rules. If you dislike them, don't participate in the challenge. 

A number of posts have been either removed from this thread or edited to get the discussion back on-track. 

From the stock speed challenge experimental science I participated in... cheating heat and infinite fuel means absurd speeds, because infinite fuel cheat means infinite intake air. I think I'll break my needleflyer back out and see how it does under the challenge conditions.

Edit: wait... no need for airbreathing engines, per rules... All that matters is TWR... oh dear.

Edited by Jarin

3 hours ago, anytarseir67 said:

Actually the real trick I using a Dawn thruster with 1000 thrust and a probe core and reaching 17,000 mps in like 30 seconds

Ik from experience

Yeah, I just wanted to see what I could manage with "stock" first. Just stuck 8 mainsails on a rough framework. 

On 8/17/2018 at 1:00 AM, Jarin said:

Yeah, I just wanted to see what I could manage with "stock" first. Just stuck 8 mainsails on a rough framework. 

Hang on, didn't the OP indicate that the engines can't exceed 1000 "thrust"? I'm assuming by that they meant nothing above 1000 kN. 

I was going to post first by saying that these challenges always devolve into a huge engine attached to a tiny probe core and then it boils down to squeaking 0.1 m/s more than the last entry. But then I realized that I had never participating in one yet. So I'm getting to it right now! 0.1 m/s faster HERE I COME!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.