air speed record

This is absolutely the fastest I've ever gone at low altitude with a manned craft. It IS cheating, as I'm using an autopilot mod. Max speed = Mach 8.75, or 3062 m/s.

aloLKn2.png

I'm going to give an unmanned craft a go. My first few attempts got to around 8,000 m/s but kept flinging off into space. I have not the faintest clue how people are getting 17,000 m/s.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:30 PM, doggonemess said:

This is absolutely the fastest I've ever gone at low altitude with a manned craft. It IS cheating, as I'm using an autopilot mod. Max speed = Mach 8.75, or 3062 m/s.

aloLKn2.png

I'm going to give an unmanned craft a go. My first few attempts got to around 8,000 m/s but kept flinging off into space. I have not the faintest clue how people are getting 17,000 m/s.

im ok with autopilot the mods i was referring to was parts and changes to things like drag

and to get 17,000 mps most people are probably going for a power orbit style 

Edited by anytarseir67
idk

On 8/18/2018 at 7:30 PM, doggonemess said:

aloLKn2.png

Are you using only air breathing engines? WOW!

16 hours ago, IMLL1 said:

Are you using only air breathing engines? WOW!

Yep, the Rapier is silly fast. Its thrust rating gives you the impression that it's not very powerful, but it gets more powerful the faster you go. Plus, not having to worry about fuel means you can make it really light. There's also a 'sweet spot' with number of engines vs. speed. At some point, adding more engines just seems to add more mass.

13 hours ago, doggonemess said:

Yep, the Rapier is silly fast. Its thrust rating gives you the impression that it's not very powerful, but it gets more powerful the faster you go. Plus, not having to worry about fuel means you can make it really light. There's also a 'sweet spot' with number of engines vs. speed. At some point, adding more engines just seems to add more mass.

Wait where are your intakes? And is that in 1.4? Cause I had next to no drag and couldn't exceed 2,060 m/s. I could probable shave off some more drag to get it to 2100, but 3 km/s is a ton of speed!

On 8/25/2018 at 11:06 PM, IMLL1 said:

Wait where are your intakes? And is that in 1.4? Cause I had next to no drag and couldn't exceed 2,060 m/s. I could probable shave off some more drag to get it to 2100, but 3 km/s is a ton of speed!

My apologies, that's not my Rapier craft - that's the Vector engine. I'll try it with a Rapier and see if my result matches yours. 

I'm on the latest version, 1.4.5. 

is anyone actually raising the thrust on any engines to 1,000   (reminder you can use engines that already are over 1,000 thrust (if they exist stock i'm not sure if they do) you just cant edit them to over 1,000 thrust)

and if anyone is interested in my discord server im making a vc and a text Chanel for this whoever has the current highest speed achieved will get pinned and who ever has the highest speed by November first will get a fancy little role all to them self

https://discord.gg/CMRtubA                   to get access to them just type !ksp          to get rid of the role type !ksp-

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 10:31 AM, anytarseir67 said:

is anyone actually raising the thrust on any engines to 1,000   (reminder you can use engines that already are over 1,000 thrust (if they exist stock i'm not sure if they do) you just cant edit them to over 1,000 thrust)

and if anyone is interested in my discord server im making a vc and a text Chanel for this whoever has the current highest speed achieved will get pinned and who ever has the highest speed by November first will get a fancy little role all to them self

https://discord.gg/CMRtubA                  to get access to them just type !ksp          to get rid of the role type !ksp-

nvm my server got breached (not like anyone joined) all of the text channels got deleted

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 1:11 PM, Geoplex_Official said:

I'll break mach 200 for you

easy just get a spark engine set it to 1000kn and then spam twitches set to 1000 kn add a nose cone for good luck and there you have it DONE!!

Or just get a probe core any way to many sepratrons then your PC can handle

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.