So, I run into a bug..

Red Thought

Hundreds of hours into this "game"  nearly all of that time running into game breaking bugs and trying to fix them.   I know,. I know.  I should send out logs to community for help after every half hour of play.   And try to fix each bug as I go.   Just spent 20 hours or so in the last week after taking a several month break.   I have played the game for exactly 1 hour of that time.   The rest if trying to make game work.   Now I keep running into a bug right off the bat that,  makes it so I can't recover my vessel.   Is this space program, or Bug Squasher Simulator?   So last 20 hours have been waisted, because this game is still too full of bugs to play.    I spent 60 Dollars on this game with exp and have yet to actually be able to play....   Thanks Squad..

So I can't get past a bug that makes it so I cant recover my vessel after my first flight,,,,  so i go to google and search for this bug.   I find that this has been a bug since 2013....   Wait a min, it's now mid 2018...   hmmm   5 years and you still cant fix this completely game breaking bug?   I want my money back.

Might not be a stock bug.  Might be a mod, there also might be other issues at play.  

Some screen shots would help of the landed vessel you are attempting to recover.

I have found the most common issue for not being able to recover a vessel is that it is slowly sliding across the surface.  Just fast enough to not let me grab it.   Time warping gently can help, or sometimes you just have to wait till it settles down on it's own (ie reaches the bottom of a hill).

Cross posting similar questions in multiple threads will only fracture any answers you get, making it harder for you and others to research the question at hand.

So to keep this one alive, what other bugs do you have?  A lot of common issues have simple work arounds or answers that show it is not a bug, but a feature :D. 

For any kind of real help you must provide some basic information like KSP version, what mods are installed, condition in which the landed vessel is in(i.e. rolling down a hill, standing upright on landing legs, floating in the ocean, etc), OS, and anything else that you might think is relevant to your situation. Possibly include information that may not be relevant. I once fixed a push button start problem on a 2016 model Nissan by unplugging a faulty phone charger. Weird things happen with machines and is pretty much the rule with computers. Considering I have never even heard of the potential bug you are experiencing, let alone experienced it for myself, my first thought is a control sticking slightly (joystick, game pad) causing a control input that prevents recovery. I have a joystick that will give left roll (about 1%) sometimes and that will stop recovery but, that is not a bug, it's a 15 year old wore out controller.

You're not trying to "Recover" after landing on anything other than Kerbin, are ya?

You can't 'Recover' from the surface of the Mun. You gotta get back the old fashioned way - stick out your thumb and hope for the best.

Maybe show a little leg.

Edited by Mahnarch

17 hours ago, Red Thought said:

So I can't get past a bug that makes it so I cant recover my vessel after my first flight...

Recovery can't be done with the landed vessel still in motion, e.g. rolling down a mountain slope. If it's splashed down, the recovery option may not show up immediately, if it's still bouncing -it does however, once the vessel comes to a relative rest.

Which one of these two happened to your ship?

Edited by Atkara

Yeah i know about the inability to recover a vessel if its still in motion or not perfectly still.   

On 8/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I know how you feel. I get a similar feeling when people seem to want help but are really just complaining.

Yes, I am complaining.   Ultra frustrating spending what I have on a game, say 300 hours now...     I have never been able to get past 20 hours in a single game save due to this bug or that one.   Yes I am complaining.   As far as fixing this game for me,   I basically give up.   My negative review on Steam stands, base game is ultra basic, simple and not very fun, especially for 40$ with a 20$ dlc,   and modded games are too plagued with bugs to reliably play.   

On 8/7/2018 at 10:44 AM, Mahnarch said:

You're not trying to "Recover" after landing on anything other than Kerbin, are ya?

You can't 'Recover' from the surface of the Mun. You gotta get back the old fashioned way - stick out your thumb and hope for the best.

Maybe show a little leg.

Nope was about  100 meters from launchpad on kerbin.  

On 8/6/2018 at 9:41 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

Can't recover craft? Probably because of budget cuts. It's a feature!

I think it is, at least.

Bugs do seem to be features in this game,  now only if I enjoyed squashing bugs, this would be my perfect game.

I had the same problem a couple of times. if you wait a minute or so it usually clears itself up. the problem I had occurred after I landed or crashed a craft. The option to return to space center (if crashed) or recover (if landed) wouldn't work. I'd click the button but nothing would happen. If I was patient and clicked it multiple times over a minute or so it would finally work.

It was annoying, but not unplayable and only seemed to happen early on during one or two 1.4.x game  builds. I never discovered why, but with my newest build of 1.4.5 it hasn't happened.

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'm guessing modded game, never seen this bug personally in thousands of hours.

My guess would be to further modify your statement with wrong mod versions, improper installation of mods(dependencies, etc), and/or installation of mods with known conflicts because, I am like you, I have (according to steam) 1931 hours playing KSP and I have never seen this even in heavily modded saves.

@Red Thought screenshots and a list of the mods you have installed might help us to figure out what's causing your problem. Does this same problem occur without mods installed?

I understand the frustration. I myself have experienced many gamebreaking bugs in the years that I've played KSP. Sometimes it was a bug in the stock game. But most of the time (and especially since 0.25 onwards) it has been because of some mod I had installed.

Complain if you must, but nobody can help you if they don't have a good idea of what exactly happening (eg: have a screenshot, gif, or video of the issue as it is happening)* and what mods are installed. And we want to help.

*words can only go so far

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Sounds frustrating! But how is that game-breaking? Surely recovery comes at the END of the mission, when everything is completed? There must be a work around for that. Perhaps exit to space center and recover from there?

It sounds to me like a problem with mods, as others say. I have never heard of this problem before. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for you, of course, but it could well be that the blame isn't where you think it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.