Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

UvSii Sabatier Reactror(TacLS) produce oxygen? not water..? is it correct?

Previous UvS version Sabatier was produce water(use hydrogen+CO2), but now consumes water. This change makes us cannot cycling resource using UvSii converters.

Edited by NOPE!

On 9/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, Cratzz said:

@Paul Kingtiger Universal Storage 1 supported RealFuels, will we see support for that in this version in the future? Thank you for a beautiful and incredibly detailed mod! :wub:

Very likely.  There are some new fuel parts coming soon so we'll probably wait for them before adding RF integration.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, NOPE! said:

UvSii Sabatier Reactror(TacLS) produce oxygen? not water..? is it correct?

Previous UvS version Sabatier was produce water(use hydrogen+CO2), but now consumes water. This change makes us cannot cycling resource using UvSii converters.

The file was set up to mimic the TAC LS Sabatier, but I agree it's not the best solution with Hydrogen being available in UvSii (It's not a resource in TAC LS).  The next release will contain the same system as US1 but with processor rates to match the CO2 input of the TAC LS version.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Really great Add-on! Meet the need for both aesthetics and utility.

But I noticed there are two parts called Alkaline Fuel Cell and Elektron, which utilize O2, H2, electricity and water.

I don't know the exact usage of them because it seems no other parts use such resources, just Alkaline Fuel Cell and Elektro.

I suppose it's a alternative way for storing energy, in place of battery?

1 hour ago, OME said:

Really great Add-on! Meet the need for both aesthetics and utility.

But I noticed there are two parts called Alkaline Fuel Cell and Elektron, which utilize O2, H2, electricity and water.

I don't know the exact usage of them because it seems no other parts use such resources, just Alkaline Fuel Cell and Elektro.

I suppose it's a alternative way for storing energy, in place of battery?

If you keep looking through the parts catalog, you'll find water, oxygen, and hydrogen storage tanks that are used to store the resources used, as well as an electrolysis module to convert water back into H2 and Oxygen when you have surplus power.

EDIT: Okay, you already found the electrolyzer. There's also a lower-efficiency fuel cell that arrives earlier in the tech tree, but if you're in sandbox or have unlocked the alkaline fuel cell, it's kinda not needed.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

4 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

I like this. The "look" is beautiful.

Just a thing. Whenever I use the goo or the material science wedges, I get ""the goo is not safe to observe in this environment". Is this because they're DMagic components?

Yeah, they're not functioning properly at present.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:18 PM, SmarterThanMe said:

I like this. The "look" is beautiful.

Just a thing. Whenever I use the goo or the material science wedges, I get ""the goo is not safe to observe in this environment". Is this because they're DMagic components?

Orbital Science is not currently compatible with Universal Storage 2.  The next OS release will be.

Okay, gotta admit to a bit of a facepalm moment... I was making a cargo lander with US II parts, and somehow, I thought that the control wedge was more than just an SAS module... So you can imagine my dismay when I decoupled the lander from the transfer stage and it won't activate and maneuver. lol.gif 

That said, an actual probe core unit with reaction wheels would be pretty cool, as it would open up some interesting design avenues.

EDIT: Oooh, and possibly a high-gain or relay antenna. That could be cool, too. :) 

Also, possible bug report: I was using the KIS modules at quad length, and after reverting from flight to the VAB, they had lost half their inventory... specifically, the lower half. Also, using Ctrl+Z will trigger this. It's basically making the KIS modules useless at any lengths other than double.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

I'm abit confused because I noticed I can install both aside. Does UVS 2 include all  UVS 1 parts but upgraded?

EDIT: gaaahh .. I just saw your website and kept reading. I assume UVS 2 is a complete rework and UVS 1 are possibly the future depreciated part pack, right?

Edited by LatiMacciato

6 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

I'm abit confused because I noticed I can install both aside. Does UVS 2 include all  UVS 1 parts but upgraded?

EDIT: gaaahh .. I just saw your website and kept reading. I assume UVS 2 is a complete rework and UVS 1 are possibly the future depreciated part pack, right?

Correct! :D

We didn't want to overwrite the old one and screw up peoples active crafts they have in their saves (tons of new changes, so that wouldn't have really worked anyway), so yeah US1 is quietly being depreciated :)

On 10/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, MaverickSawyer said:

Also, possible bug report: I was using the KIS modules at quad length, and after reverting from flight to the VAB, they had lost half their inventory... specifically, the lower half. Also, using Ctrl+Z will trigger this. It's basically making the KIS modules useless at any lengths other than double.

I'll take a look at this and see what I can see.  Thanks for the report.

Hi, and thanks for the great mod!

Just a quick PSA for anybody who's using the KRnD mod, you need to add the following line to the GameData/KRnD/blacklist.cfg file:

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = USFuelSwitch

Otherwise, the battery packs won't do anything in flight.  They'll look okay in the editor, KER will report the correct amount of electrical charge, but in flight, they'll be unclickable and they won't count toward the vessel's total EC capacity.  Discovered this during a ground test today.

12 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

Are the single height hydrogen tanks just slightly too big? Or am I crazy?

I'll screenshot when I get my kids to sleep...

Yeah, a few people have mentioned that. Bout time I fixed them I guess! 

4 hours ago, Punslinger said:

Hi, and thanks for the great mod!

Just a quick PSA for anybody who's using the KRnD mod, you need to add the following line to the GameData/KRnD/blacklist.cfg file:

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = USFuelSwitch

Otherwise, the battery packs won't do anything in flight.  They'll look okay in the editor, KER will report the correct amount of electrical charge, but in flight, they'll be unclickable and they won't count toward the vessel's total EC capacity.  Discovered this during a ground test today.

Good catch, cheers :)

On 10/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, MaverickSawyer said:

Yep, I can recreate that bug.  Unless we get it fixed I will disable resizing for the KIS Wedges (they start double height).  I've checked and this won't effect any craft currently in flight.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:48 AM, MaverickSawyer said:

38 minutes ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Yep, I can recreate that bug.  Unless we get it fixed I will disable resizing for the KIS Wedges (they start double height).  I've checked and this won't effect any craft currently in flight.

I'm not seeing this, either by reverting or using undo. What version of KSP is this in?

3 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I'm not seeing this, either by reverting or using undo. What version of KSP is this in?

1. Build a craft with a quad height KIS container and fill it with small parts.
  2. Stick it on the launch pad.
  3. Revert to VAB.
  4. Check the inventory, the bottom two rows of parts should be missing.

7 minutes ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

1. Build a craft with a quad height KIS container and fill it with small parts.
  2. Stick it on the launch pad.
  3. Revert to VAB.
  4. Check the inventory, the bottom two rows of parts should be missing.

suggestion (despite I did not had the chance of experience this):

You could let it "scan" for free item slots in the rest of the inventory on switch button click and move or re-create them in the free slots. Alternately if there is no room for that you could spawn it 1 meter infront of it like it would drop out. Imagine like a box where you put too many stuff in.

.. unsure if it is possible to combine it with the switch option in flight and/or editor (VAB/SPH)

Edited by LatiMacciato

On 9/23/2018 at 4:54 AM, DianonForce said:

What i discoverd today, whenn you install Universalstorage (the clasic) alongside to US2, the Experiments will replaced by the ones from US (clasic) and work again. They are a little to big, so they clip into the Core, but its a workarround i think.

I found that if you delete everything in the entire UniversalStorage folder except for the science part (left nested), everything works just fine.  The part files for the Dmagic parts are only calling on that one model.mu file.  There may be a way to strip the casing, but I can't remember if that's a thing.  It fits just fine in the US2 cores and covers.

Leave only this folder intact, you can freely delete all else:  GameData\UniversalStorage\Parts\US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay

I'm curious if you make an MM script to delete the call for that file in each of the dmagic parts if it will work the same, but without the casing.  It might be a better solution for backwards compatibility when they do update the build.  I think the casing is what gives it collision though and the ability to be interacted - gonna test.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Can someone confirm me that the 2.5m shroud with 8 independent doors does not exist anymore in Universal Storage 2?

With the current 2.5m shroud, I got a warning that the bay doors could not retract because of a fuel tank laterally attached.

16 hours ago, ndiver said:

Can someone confirm me that the 2.5m shroud with 8 independent doors does not exist anymore in Universal Storage 2?

With the current 2.5m shroud, I got a warning that the bay doors could not retract because of a fuel tank laterally attached.

I don't think it ever existed? 

And yep the doors are aware of what's in front of them now. Proper part collision is a requirement for interaction with the new upcoming Dmagic parts. They'll be able to 'see' the bays, and automatically open them when deployed with an action group. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.