Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

Thanks for this upgrade to US, guys! I liked the first one, but found it a little clunky (for reasons I don't recall now) This upgrade is real nice.

You might've already addressed this, and I know it's relatively new, but it's missing many of the modules I was expecting, like some of the science experiments (mystery goo and Science Jr, for example), or fuel cells that run from LFO or the liquid hydrogen and oxidizer used in other mods. Perhaps some long range antennas, experimental storage unit, or other fun parts. Any plans to implement more modules? Nuclear reactors maybe? I'm already excited!

Also, a 1.25 to 1.875, or 1.25 to 2.5 tapered fairing would be sweet!

Edit: I just noticed I don't think I have any stock science modules for US2. Is this intentional, or did I miss something?

Edited by AmpCat

2 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Thanks for this upgrade to US, guys! I liked the first one, but found it a little clunky (for reasons I don't recall now) This upgrade is real nice.

You might've already addressed this, and I know it's relatively new, but it's missing many of the modules I was expecting, like some of the science experiments (mystery goo and Science Jr, for example), or fuel cells that run from LFO or the liquid hydrogen and oxidizer used in other mods. Perhaps some long range antennas, experimental storage unit, or other fun parts. Any plans to implement more modules? Nuclear reactors maybe? I'm already excited!

Also, a 1.25 to 1.875, or 1.25 to 2.5 tapered fairing would be sweet!

Edit: I just noticed I don't think I have any stock science modules for US2. Is this intentional, or did I miss something?

Slow down, we're only human :P

Stock science is coming in a later update, but Dmagic Orbital Sciences has now been updated for US2 so you can get your other science fix with those parts. We did really envision this mod as a "framework" for other people to make wedges for, but apart from Dmagic that hasn't really been happening! So yeah i'll be trying to add more features when my short term jobs are done.  Antennae are already on the cards, but new shrouds take the longest amount of time so they're the last things on my mind right now :)

Just now, Daishi said:

Slow down, we're only human :P

Stock science is coming in a later update, but Dmagic Orbital Sciences has now been updated for US2 so you can get your other science fix with those parts. We did really envision this mod as a "framework" for other people to make wedges for, but apart from Dmagic that hasn't really been happening! So yeah i'll be trying to add more features when my short term jobs are done.  Antennae are already on the cards, but new shrouds take the longest amount of time so they're the last things on my mind right now :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound impatient. I'm just excited. This is a real great mod! Thanks for the great work.

Because I cannot apply this using Github - I have to do it this way.

A compatibility patch for GPOSpeedFuelPump, to be placed into
GameData\UniversalStorage2\Patches\GPOSpeedFuelPump.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage2,GPOSpeedFuelPump]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = GPOSpeedPump
	}
}

Edited by Gordon Dry
simplified the patch

1 hour ago, AmpCat said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound impatient. I'm just excited. This is a real great mod! Thanks for the great work.

No worries, thanks for being a fan :D

22 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Because I cannot apply this using Github - I have to do it this way.

A compatibility patch for GPOSpeedFuelPump, to be placed into
GameData\UniversalStorage2\Patches\GPOSpeedFuelPump.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage2,GPOSpeedFuelPump]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = GPOSpeedPump
	}
}

Thanks Gordon, we'll roll that change in :)

I seem to be missing some parts as well. I Have no idea why. I am assuming of course that there is a 1.875 cylindrical fairing just like the 1.25 and 2.5 size parts? A straight one, not a tapered one, right? Im new to universal storage so maybe im lost somehow but there isnt one in the VAB but I see the other 2 sizes I mentioned.

16 hours ago, Daishi said:

No worries, thanks for being a fan :D

Thanks Gordon, we'll roll that change in :)

Thanks Gordon, I've added that to the development version and it'll be included in the next release.

6 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

I seem to be missing some parts as well. I Have no idea why. I am assuming of course that there is a 1.875 cylindrical fairing just like the 1.25 and 2.5 size parts? A straight one, not a tapered one, right? Im new to universal storage so maybe im lost somehow but there isnt one in the VAB but I see the other 2 sizes I mentioned.

Hi Kevin, there isn't a 1.875 cylindrical fairing at the moment, but now we have the 5 bay service core I'm sure one will be added in the future.

I just recognized that the "Elekton" does not want to work - it says "Electrolysis unit: missing water" ...
Stationwide I got 594 of 606 units of water ...

Do I also have to patch the GPOSpeedFuelPump into those parts? Or is it something else?
There is no exception in the log ...

Edit:

Perhaps because the Elektron.cfg got FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW for water and ElectricCharge? Water with lower 'w' ...

Some suggestions:

• take CRP densities into account, actually Hydrogen and Oxygen have the same amount in their respective 1.25m wedges. I assume that's the same with all other parts.
    I don't know where to start to just do it and provide the numbers, because I don't know the calculation base - how much volume does a wedge have?
  • Add a feature to the gas wedges: adjustable pressurizing - so Hydrogen becomes LiquidHydrogen. The wedge becomes a converter.
    • or you need to add a converter wedge part in single height directly above the (max. triple height) gas wedge.
      • Not a fixed pressure like in a CryoTank (with 200 bar or so), but some pressure that can be changed in VAB in 10 bar steps up to 300 bar (risky) and also in flight mode - when the tank got less than 50% amount - by an engineer level 3 with a wrench.
    • the higher the pressure, the more EC/s the tank needs for pumping flow. But nice values, not crazy numbers like 10 EC/s or so. Let's say at max. a 1.25m (liquid) hydrogen wedge triple height with 300 bar needs 2 EC/s just for holding the pressure. No more EC - the hydrogen goes excess dump until 20 bar, where no EC is needed anymore.
      • The more pressure, the more risk of boiloff (depends the content, should be at least hydrogen ofc but what about other gases?)
        -> either add own dedicated boiloff or make it compatible with CryoTanks boiloff and RealFuels boiloff. Let's say at max. a 1.25m (liquid) hydrogen wedge triple height with 300 bar needs additionally 1 EC/s to cool it down.
  • as already mentioned above, processing parts like electrolysis should have an excess dump valve that can be changed in VAB and in flight mode to choose which of the output resources should be dumped to allow the other resource(s) to fill up.
    • Suggestion: For immersion and to make it a little harder, an engineer level 1 needs to do the change of the dump valve setting in flight mode. Needs just a wrench. Could be an optional difficulty setting.
  • Add a few adapter parts, for example the cylindrical fairing 1.25m does not really fit below a Bluedog DB Gemini pod - but it can have a Gemini-like look. These parts also should have a texture switch.
  • How about IndicatorLights compatiblity? Add some lights to the wedges. Perhaps also to the fairings.

Edited by Gordon Dry

On 10/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, Daishi said:

We did really envision this mod as a "framework" for other people to make wedges for, but apart from Dmagic that hasn't really been happening!

I'll admit I rarely see that happening with KSP mods - *functions* from other mods get supported, but parts seem to be stand-alone.

Also, creating a wedge for this mod would be intimidating - chances are it will look like a piece of cardboard junk next to your models...

GameData\UniversalStorage2\Parts\Fuels\OxygenWedge.cfg
line 204 insert:

+PART[USOxygenWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
    @name = USNitrogenWedge
	@title = Universal Storage: Nitrogen tank
	@tags = Universal Storage Wedge Cryogenic Nitrogen
	@description = Nitrogen resource storage, built in wedge format to be mounted to Universal Storage cores.  Nitrogen is stored cryogenically and this wedge contains insulated storage as well as cryogenic equipment and safety systems.  The nitrogen bottles may be refueled via lines, or the entire wedge can be removed on EVA and placed with new equipment or storage.  Four size variants are available.
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = Nitrogen;Nitrogen;Nitrogen;Nitrogen
	}
}

GameData\UniversalStorage2\Parts\Fuels\HydrogenWedge.cfg
line 208

+PART[USHydrogenWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
    @name = USAmmoniaWedge
	@title = Universal Storage: Ammonia tank
	@tags = Universal Storage Wedge Cryogenic Ammonia
	@description = Ammonia resource storage, built in wedge format to be mounted to Universal Storage cores.  Ammonia is stored cryogenically and this wedge contains insulated storage as well as cryogenic equipment and safety systems.  The ammonia bottles may be refueled via lines, or the entire wedge can be removed on EVA and placed with new equipment or storage.  Four size variants are available.
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = Ammonia;Ammonia;Ammonia;Ammonia
	}
}

A screenshot:
dYCI1HU.png

Edited by Gordon Dry

17 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I just recognized that the "Elekton" does not want to work - it says "Electrolysis unit: missing water" ...
Stationwide I got 594 of 606 units of water ...

Do I also have to patch the GPOSpeedFuelPump into those parts? Or is it something else?
There is no exception in the log ...

Edit:

Perhaps because the Elektron.cfg got FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW for water and ElectricCharge? Water with lower 'w' ...

I was having the same problem with the Elektron (though I didn't see any errors), also my Fuel Cells didn't seem to be producing any water. I thought having an empty water tank would be an interesting way to store energy. Use excess power from solar cells to convert hydrogen and oxygen into water, then when in the shadow of a body, use the fuel cell to generate power. But.. it didn't work. No water produced, and no hydrogen and oxygen produced from the water (if I filled the tanks)

Then I gave up and just dropped in one of Nertea's small nuclear reactors. The 0.625m one fits neatly into a 3 high module bay.

12 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Fuel Cells didn't seem to be producing any water

They work here.

I also used other tanks and the resource Water is produced.
The Elektron had just one character wrong in the config: "water" instead of "Water".

Edited by Gordon Dry

@Gordon Dry Why don't you do a PR, instead of posting changes here, if you have them already done in your install? It's easier and quicker for a mod author to do "just" a PR revision then to find source file, scan through it to find propper place to insert a change etc. And there is also big chance, that the change will not be lost between another posts.

Oh, another small, relatively simple part that would be handy would be a modular 'tray'. Something like a simple empty module that I could stack a bunch of stuff (like science experiments) on, save it as a subassembly, then click it into place when I need it. I've been cramming a bunch of science modules into a bay, then when I decide to swap to a different size I manually move them all. Kinda a pain.