Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

41 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Oh, another small, relatively simple part that would be handy would be a modular 'tray'. Something like a simple empty module that I could stack a bunch of stuff (like science experiments) on, save it as a subassembly, then click it into place when I need it. I've been cramming a bunch of science modules into a bay, then when I decide to swap to a different size I manually move them all. Kinda a pain.

Now THAT's a good idea. :D

23 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Some suggestions:

• take CRP densities into account, actually Hydrogen and Oxygen have the same amount in their respective 1.25m wedges. I assume that's the same with all other parts.
    I don't know where to start to just do it and provide the numbers, because I don't know the calculation base - how much volume does a wedge have?

We did exactly that with Universal Storage 1, I researched the storage systems for space programs form the 60's until today and worked out everything based on the volumes of the models.  Problem was the parts were totally unbalanced against anything except Realism overhaul.  Great for the RO players but not so much use for everyone else.  With Universal Storage 2 we decided to balance against stock parts or the mod the part was being created for.  That way out parts would be well balanced against the other parts available to the player.

You can find the balance information for Universal Storage in my public onedrive folder, link in my sig.

You can find the balance information for UvSii on my website http://www.kingtiger.online/balancing-universal-storage-ii/ (that sheet is still work in progress).

5 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Oh, another small, relatively simple part that would be handy would be a modular 'tray'. Something like a simple empty module that I could stack a bunch of stuff (like science experiments) on, save it as a subassembly, then click it into place when I need it. I've been cramming a bunch of science modules into a bay, then when I decide to swap to a different size I manually move them all. Kinda a pain.

Fair enough suggestion, we did have that in US1 after all. I'll look into it :)

21 hours ago, avarice167 said:

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for dumb question, but i cant attach/equip EVA X. May someone explain me how to equip it? 

US@, KIS and KAS are latest versions.

Thanks in advance

You should be able to use the grab key, and pull it off its attached part and into the opened inventory of a kerbal. It'll attach itself to its backpack slot. 

On 11/1/2018 at 8:57 PM, Gordon Dry said:

• Add a few adapter parts, for example the cylindrical fairing 1.25m does not really fit below a Bluedog DB Gemini pod - but it can have a Gemini-like look. These parts also should have a texture switch.
  • How about IndicatorLights compatiblity? Add some lights to the wedges. Perhaps also to the fairings.

Adaptors are in the works, not sure about lights. They're performance hogs in KSP,  so i might have to get around it with emissive maps instead. I'll try something with this probe core part i'm making. 

Hi,

I couldnt find couple parts to unlock in my game, went to files to check and saw this. Is this normal?

QWfjnph.png

Also, I dont have this folder "UniversalStorage" in my game data, i do have "UniversalStorage2"

Edited by PNine
+ Info

5 hours ago, PNine said:

Is this normal?

Yes. Those parts are from Orbital Science, not Universal Storage 2, which they don't support.

There are new variants included in the latest version of Orbital Science that support Universal Storage 2.

Good day, in file ACD1500.cfg, no writed #autoLOC.

// Base attributes
		title = #autoLOC_US_USACD1500_Title //Universal Storage: ACD (1.5m)
		category = Coupling
		tags = #autoLOC_US_USACD1500_Tags //Universal Storage Decoupler Stack Separator Reaction Wheel Gemini BDB Bluedog Design
		description = #autoLOC_US_USACD1500_Description //The Attitude Control Decoupler combines a stack separator and in-line stabilizer to provide staging and reaction wheel systems in a single, low weight package with an access void for crew transfer. Designed to interface with the 1.5m BDB Gemini, or similar attachment profiles.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:51 PM, PNine said:

Hi,

I couldnt find couple parts to unlock in my game, went to files to check and saw this. Is this normal?

QWfjnph.png

Also, I dont have this folder "UniversalStorage" in my game data, i do have "UniversalStorage2"

Quite often you'll see that with depreciated parts too. That way the part can be left in the game for existing craft, without being able to be used in new craft.

13 hours ago, desolaris said:

Good day, in file ACD1500.cfg, no writed #autoLOC.

// Base attributes
		title = #autoLOC_US_USACD1500_Title //Universal Storage: ACD (1.5m)
		category = Coupling
		tags = #autoLOC_US_USACD1500_Tags //Universal Storage Decoupler Stack Separator Reaction Wheel Gemini BDB Bluedog Design
		description = #autoLOC_US_USACD1500_Description //The Attitude Control Decoupler combines a stack separator and in-line stabilizer to provide staging and reaction wheel systems in a single, low weight package with an access void for crew transfer. Designed to interface with the 1.5m BDB Gemini, or similar attachment profiles.

We don't currently have German or Italian translation for the new parts, but you should be seeing the information in English?

I did a test base on kerbin, and so far so forth I have encountered a problem with some part from various mods (will cp on their respective therads)

- KAS:

1. pipe texture (hose-d70-1k.dds) on folder, but still getting a message (IG) that texture is missing.
  2. Docking 2 pylons on steroids with 3 gold diggers and a Radioisotope with a joint socket and a Telescopic fixed join works well until I attach something else using Pathfinder piping. Something randomly explodes or the pylon that where attached to the ground get thrown up and detached.
  3. If leaving something unattached to the base (but still bolted on ground) and coming back (back to Space Center and launch a new vessel to continue building) the unlinked unlocked part is nowhere to be found. Don't know which mod is responsible but I think it may be basic KAS behaviour?.

- Universal Storage 2:

1. The Universal Storage Alkaline Cell consumes O2 and H2 and produces H2O as intended, but the Elecktron does not consumes water, nor it transforms it on H2 and O2.
  2. The US2 Battery does not have any charge in it when I launch my vessel (same with the Pathfinder chasis). It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function)
  3. edit : I cannot equip any of the Eva packs either.

- Pathfinder:

1. Batteries on Buffalo chassis does not works as intended. It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function)
  2. Docking 2 pylons on steroids with 3 gold diggers and a Radioisotope with a joint socket and a Telescopic fixed join works well until I attach something else using Pathfinder piping. Something randomly explodes or the pylon that where attached to the ground get thrown up and detached.
  3. If leaving something unattached to the base (but still bolted on ground) and coming back (back to Space Center and launch a new vessel to continue building) the unlinked unlocked part is nowhere to be found. Dont know which mod is responsible but I think it may be basic KAS behaviour?.

Yes, I have reinstalled and checked if everything is where it should be (by comparign CKAN downloaded rar with folders in Game Data). Still, problems persist.

I use nearly 100 mods in total.

Thank you guys for your amazing mods (that totally should be stock).

Edited by Zankastia

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

btw I still don't understand why this is not on Github ... to easily be fixed and improved by PRs.

Parts of the mod are licensed 'all rights reserved' and we don't want to host it on a public repository.

The water issue and others have been fixed and will be be pushed out on the next release.

10 hours ago, Zankastia said:

The US2 Battery does not have any charge in it when I launch my vessel (same with the Pathfinder chasis). It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function)

Someone else had this issue, their fix is in the post below:

Hey everybody I need your input!

There are parts in Universal Storage that are used in an otherwise stock install, namely the Oxygen tank and Hydrogen tank.  They can be balanced against Kerbalism or TAC Life support, which will make a difference as each mod takes a different approach to how resources are stored (compressed gas vs cryogenic).

Currently TAC Life Support is used to calculate default values, but I'd be interested in user feedback.

I've created a strawpoll available at: https://www.strawpoll.me/16830069

11 minutes ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Hey everybody I need your input!

There are parts in Universal Storage that are used in an otherwise stock install, namely the Oxygen tank and Hydrogen tank.  They can be balanced against Kerbalism or TAC Life support, which will make a difference as each mod takes a different approach to how resources are stored (compressed gas vs cryogenic).

Currently TAC Life Support is used to calculate default values, but I'd be interested in user feedback.

I've created a strawpoll available at: https://www.strawpoll.me/16830069

It may be extra work, but in theory you can use MM to balance them against the one mod present (e.g. TAC-LS by default or Kerbalism if present).

1 minute ago, garwel said:

It may be extra work, but in theory you can use MM to balance them against the one mod present (e.g. TAC-LS by default or Kerbalism if present).

That's been done, the question is when only Universal Storage is installed.

An otherwise stock KSP game will still have the Universal Storage Oxygen tank because it's used with the fuel cell.  When TAC LS or Kerbalism is installed the Oxygen Tank will be balanced to match.  But when neither is installed, which should I use as a reference (I can't balance against a stock part because Oxygen storage isn't in the stock game).

4 minutes ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

But when neither is installed, which should I use as a reference (I can't balance against a stock part because Oxygen storage isn't in the stock game).

This may be a dumb question...  By why do you need to balance them when neither Kerbalism nor TC-LS are installed?  Aren't they just dead weight/decorative at that point?

Just now, DerekL1963 said:

This may be a dumb question...  By why do you need to balance them when neither Kerbalism nor TC-LS are installed?  Aren't they just dead weight/decorative at that point?

"An otherwise stock KSP game will still have the Universal Storage Oxygen tank because it's used with the fuel cell"
Universal Storage has parts that use Hydrogen and Oxygen so the tanks for those resources are included in an otherwise stock install.

Universal Storage parts are only loaded if they will be used with the mods present, there shouldn't be any dead weight.

2 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

An otherwise stock KSP game will still have the Universal Storage Oxygen tank because it's used with the fuel cell.  When TAC LS or Kerbalism is installed the Oxygen Tank will be balanced to match.  But when neither is installed, which should I use as a reference (I can't balance against a stock part because Oxygen storage isn't in the stock game).

Why can't you balance against the stock fuel cells, substituting Oxygen for Oxidizer and Hydrogen for LFO?