Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

Bug: Storage tank slider levels don't persist in craft file.

To re-create:

1 - Attach a Radial Storage tank to the vessel in the VAB, on any resource type.  The example pictured here uses Oxygen.

2 - Use the slider to reduce the storage to less than 100%.  (See first image linked to below).

3 - Save vessel design.

4 - Launch Vessel.  Notice the slider seems correct HERE - the reduced resource is rememebered (see second image linked to below).

5 - Recover Vessel. Go back to VAB.

6 - Click "new" vessel button.  Click "Load" Vessel button. reload the same vessel design.

7 - The slider is back to 100% again.  The .craft file seems to have no memory (or it does but it doesn't load properly) of the the slider's position, so it resets to default.

The slider positions should probably persist in the craft file, just like the stock game does for reduced fuel levels.

Screenshot In VAB originally:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593401713

Screenshot launched from VAB:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593401744

Screenshot back in VAB again, reloaded from craft file:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593401763

With Kerbalism installed, the values for Oxygen and Hydrogen wedges are all messed up , and don't reflect the values in the spreadsheet you linked. All sizes of Hydrogen wedge are holding 21350 units, and the Oxygen values are 6100;1300;21350;21350. I've taken a look in the configs for those wedges, and it just looks like you forgot to put in proper values for the MM patch for Kerbalism. Should be an easy fix.

The fuel cells seem to be massively underpowered compared to the (Kerbalism-ified) stock fuel cell, especially considering their mass. The Kerbalism-modded stock fuel cell produces about 4.7 EC per unit of Oxygen, whereas the two UvSii power cells produce only give 0.94 EC/ox. There is also no difference in terms of their efficiency, despite their descriptions. In order to bring them into line with stock, I suggest that you bump the EC output for the two power cells (when Kerbalism is installed, at least) to 12 EC (50% efficiency) and 33.6 EC (70% efficiency), respectively (assuming the stock cell has an efficiency in the region of 47%). Efficiency is the most important thing with fuel cells, not raw output.

The other thing that seems odd is the very high mass of the cores as fuel tanks. Why does a dry LFO 8-core weigh 1.45 tonnes, when a structural core weighs only 0.225?

Ref my question above, there doesn't actually appear to be a Fertiliser wedge in UvSII - the website suggests there is one but it's not in the code.  I may have missed a post about it somewhere.  In the meantime, USI fertiliser boxes actually fit quite neatly inside a UvSII faring.

I had a poke in the configs and can see where UvSII Greywater tank is set to contain fertilizer if USI is installed.  For some reason this isn't happening in my game - think something else is overriding it.  I'm not an expert at reading logs but these may shed some light on where the problem lies. If anyone is able to help me interpret them I would be most grateful.

Logs here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cyCA9xH5LPs11mR95Qg-FTXoL9F19C_o

New Update Released

Universal Storage II 

1.6.0.9 released (1.3.1.9 for KSP 1.3.1)

This is a bug fix and compatibility check for KSP 1.6

Change log

• Fixed missing USI Fertilizer part
  • Oxygen and Hydrogen wedges now have correct values when Kerbalism is installed
  • Added 3rd part mod part variations to the website part catalog (required as Oxygen wedges have different capacity depending on which life support mod is installed).
  • Replaced Cost and Mass values in part catalog with Wet cost and Wet mass where part includes resources by default.
  • Updated Module Manager
  • Updated community resource pack

Known issues

• USI Life Support Life Support bag has negative dry cost (this is an issue with the USI part and ours has been balanced to match)
  • Some parts are missing Italian and German localization.
  • Some configurable parts are not maintaining correct values when using sub assemblies.

Download from SpaceDock

Make sure you download the correct version. 

On 12/17/2018 at 7:11 AM, Steven Mading said:

Bug: Storage tank slider levels don't persist in craft file.

We've found a few issues like this, obviously not an easy fix, but it's being worked on.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, Daedalus451 said:

The other thing that seems odd is the very high mass of the cores as fuel tanks. Why does a dry LFO 8-core weigh 1.45 tonnes, when a structural core weighs only 0.225?

I'm getting a dry mass of 0.413t which seems reasonable.

image.png 

On 12/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, Daedalus451 said:

The fuel cells seem to be massively underpowered compared to the (Kerbalism-ified) stock fuel cell, especially considering their mass. The Kerbalism-modded stock fuel cell produces about 4.7 EC per unit of Oxygen, whereas the two UvSii power cells produce only give 0.94 EC/ox. There is also no difference in terms of their efficiency, despite their descriptions. In order to bring them into line with stock, I suggest that you bump the EC output for the two power cells (when Kerbalism is installed, at least) to 12 EC (50% efficiency) and 33.6 EC (70% efficiency), respectively (assuming the stock cell has an efficiency in the region of 47%). Efficiency is the most important thing with fuel cells, not raw output.

Processor balance is on the to-do list, however @Daishi is creating new models for some of the processors which will effect how they are balanced.  I'm going to rebalance these parts once those new models are available. 

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Not sure if there's something wrong in the .version file for AVC.

{
"NAME":"Universal Storage 2","URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=591",
"DOWNLOAD":"https://spacedock.info/mod/1933/Universal%20Storage%20II/download/1.5.1.8",
"CHANGE_LOG_URL":"https://spacedock.info/mod/1933/Universal%20Storage%20II",
"VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":5,"PATCH":1,"BUILD":9},
"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":6,"PATCH":0},
"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":4,"PATCH":5},
"KSP_VERSION_MAX":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":6,"PATCH":99}
}

Shouldn't the version be 1.6.0.9?

I have started uploading some Universal Storage II sample craft to Steam workshop.  
Currently an Apollo CSM for Kerbalism and TAC Life Support, with more to follow (plus matching LM for each)

https://steamcommunity.com/id/paul_kt/myworkshopfiles/?appid=220200

(find the link in my sig if you need it in the future).

None of the more basic science experiments show up unless I filter by manufacture. Misery Goo and Materials Bay work fine but I cant click on the temperature/pressure sensor once placing its wedge.

Update- I did some digging as noticed that dmagic isn't compatible yet. Is there any idea when the dmagic parts might get fixed?

Has anyone come up with a unofficial MM patch to make them work?

Edited by Tirello
Found more info

v1.4
- Update for Universal Storage II
    - New versions of Orbital Science parts for Universal Storage
    - Stock science parts no longer available for US (will be added by US at a later date)

Apparently I am out of luck according to DMgic's change log.

I tried reinstalling both Orbital Science and Universal Storage II and deleting the MM cache. This broke the other stock science US 2 parts(Thermometer, goo, materials bay) I had and has removed them entirely from the VAB and Research Lab.  If I load the ship with these saved parts it give me the warning they are no longer available but the models are still there so that's something. 

I will have go another route for these parts till they come available

Has anyone noticed (on Version 1.5.1.8 and KSP 1.5.1) that the PEM Fuel Cell tends to shake craft apart when attached to the 4 core module? I had issues with craft shaking themselves to pieces after I deployed fairings. (They were fine while fairings were in place, but would start oscillating after the fairings were deployed) Initially I thought it was the 4 core module itself, until it happened on the pad.  The craft stopped shaking after the connection between the PEM and the core failed and the PEM was thrown free.

Edit: Fixed the issue, looks like it was the version of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (3.3.5) I was using, switched to Kerbal Joint Reinforcement 3.4.0.4, and it stops the shaking on the pad and in most instances in orbit.  I say most instances,  because occasionally there are some oscillations when craft are under automated control (i.e. Gravity Turn, if it uses warp).

Edit: Maybe not, fixed on pad, the shock of decoupling can still cause craft to go out of control.

Edited by Jade_Falcon
Fixed some instances, but still issues remain

3 hours ago, Jade_Falcon said:

Has anyone noticed (on Version 1.5.1.8 and KSP 1.5.1) that the PEM Fuel Cell tends to shake craft apart when attached to the 4 core module? I had issues with craft shaking themselves to pieces after I deployed fairings. (They were fine while fairings were in place, but would start oscillating after the fairings were deployed) Initially I thought it was the 4 core module itself, until it happened on the pad.  The craft stopped shaking after the connection between the PEM and the core failed and the PEM was thrown free.

Edit: Fixed the issue, looks like it was the version of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (3.3.5) I was using, switched to Kerbal Joint Reinforcement 3.4.0.4, and it stops the shaking on the pad and in most instances in orbit.  I say most instances,  because occasionally there are some oscillations when craft are under automated control (i.e. Gravity Turn, if it uses warp).

Edit: Maybe not, fixed on pad, the shock of decoupling can still cause craft to go out of control.

Yeah I had a similar experience, I found using auto-strut on all of the wedges to core part fixed the issue for me

On 12/31/2018 at 1:34 PM, Jade_Falcon said:

Can you send me a craft file and list the mods you're using?

On 12/31/2018 at 7:34 AM, Jade_Falcon said:

It's not just the PEM. It's anything that uses the quad core higher than single (double, triple, quad). If you place struts from the fairing to above the core (granted it's a bit difficult) then it doesn't shake your craft apart. 

Edited by Space Cowboy Bob

• 2 weeks later...

KSP v1.5.1, US 2 v1.5.1.8 and US 1 v1.4.0 0

I've just updated to 1.5.1.  The way I understand it from this thread, I can safely remove US 1 in a new game.  DMagic's mod update should have solved the last of the reasons to go fully US 2, right?

55 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I've just updated to 1.5.1.  The way I understand it from this thread, I can safely remove US 1 in a new game.  DMagic's mod update should have solved the last of the reasons to go fully US 2, right?

Yep. There's a few parts still getting updated on US2's end, namely the stock experiments, but they're coming along nicely, if the previews @Daishi keeps posting in the dev thread are anything to go by.

12 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Yep, you should be set. Only issue is that the stock science parts have been omitted for now, while i create them for stock US2. 

11 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Yep. There's a few parts still getting updated on US2's end, namely the stock experiments, but they're coming along nicely, if the previews @Daishi keeps posting in the dev thread are anything to go by.

Yeah they're coming along well! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.