Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

11 hours ago, Brigadier said:

@Daishiand @MaverickSawyer, thanks. @Daishi I've said it before but it's worth saying again: Amazing work.  Thanks for the effort and your dedication to improving KSP.

Not a problem, thanks for being a fan :D 

11 hours ago, Friznit said:

Now you're just showing off!  Small yet beautiful.

Edit: I'm referring to the part of course ;)

Y'all know this mod is all about the little things ;)

9 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

That looks beautiful! What experiments are in that part? I'm assuming that fold-out piece is an accelerometer

8 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Looks like the gravioli detector up top, and the accelerometer below.

Yep, spot on. I don't see the point of dedicating a whole wedge bay for such a minuscule piece, so to make it fair we've started merging things like Dmagic did originally. So coming up in the next release, we'll have the combo Gravioli Detector\Seismic Accelerometer, the dual Mystery Goo unit, the combo Thermometer\Barometer unit, and the double-high Advanced Material Science bay. Bit burnt out with these so there won't be a Fluid Spectrograph yet, but there's room on the atlas for it so I might make it later. Still got a bit of work to do on these (mainly the normal maps and getting the spec maps right) so they're not 100% yet!

cvWKczT.png

Edited by Daishi

Hey there!

The 1.875 diameter fairing for the bay storage isn't in my mod pack.
I redownloaded, loaded, and reloaded the mod, but still no fairing. I will keep looking here in case someone has posted the same issue but wanted to get this out there asap.

I hope you can help! Amazing mod!

6 hours ago, Friend Bear said:

Hey there!

The 1.875 diameter fairing for the bay storage isn't in my mod pack.
I redownloaded, loaded, and reloaded the mod, but still no fairing. I will keep looking here in case someone has posted the same issue but wanted to get this out there asap.

I hope you can help! Amazing mod!

There isn't a 1.875 cylindrical fairing available in the current version of the mod, but it is on the to-do list.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:34 AM, Jade_Falcon said:

Has anyone noticed (on Version 1.5.1.8 and KSP 1.5.1) that the PEM Fuel Cell tends to shake craft apart when attached to the 4 core module?

Edit: Fixed the issue, looks like it was the version of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (3.3.5) I was using, switched to Kerbal Joint Reinforcement 3.4.0.4, and it stops the shaking on the pad and in most instances in orbit.

I do not have KJR installed at all, and I am seeing very similar behaviour with the tank module attached to a 4-way core. The tanks appear extremely keen to get out of the bay, so much so that they will fire outwards in a curious spinning dance until the attachment breaks. If autostrutted or otherwise restrained, they cause the entire craft to vibrate.
I did notice that they clip into each other slightly when 4 are installed on such a core, but that doesn't seem to be it as a single tank exhibits the same behaviour with the other 3 slots empty.
All module height variants were tested, but not larger cores, as this is an early career game. Can check other parts in sandbox if required.

I'm not sure if this is simply an instance of the notorious physics bug with heavy parts connected to very light ones or not, but it makes the otherwise phenomenal tank wedge unusable for me.

This is 1.6.0.9 on KSP 1.5.1, logs are clean FWIW.

Edited by steve_v

Thank you for the quick response!

So there isn't a replacement or workaround right? It simply just isn't ready and 1.875 diameter storage isn't an option for the time being? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

-------

Just realized that was a dumb question. I guess I'm just concerned because I started a science mode game and am nervous once 1.875 is added it won't work or something but I bet it will.

Thank you for the amazing mod, and I love the revised version, btw.

Edited by Friend Bear

3 hours ago, Eugene Moreau said:

AVC is showing that US2 has been updated to 1.6.something but ckan still thinks 1.5.something is the newest.  Any plans to update that?  Am I doing something wrong?

I also noticed the UniversalStorage2.version file from the currrent Spacedock download says:

"VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":5,"PATCH":1,"BUILD":9},

The cores that let you attach wedges are super unstable without KJR installed. However as a workaround if you don't use that mod, you can set the core to auto-strut to "Grandparent" and that will fix the problem.

I usually do that to both the core and the fairing and it is quite stable after that.

18 hours ago, steve_v said:

I do not have KJR installed at all, and I am seeing very similar behaviour with the tank module attached to a 4-way core. The tanks appear extremely keen to get out of the bay, so much so that they will fire outwards in a curious spinning dance until the attachment breaks. If autostrutted or otherwise restrained, they cause the entire craft to vibrate.
I did notice that they clip into each other slightly when 4 are installed on such a core, but that doesn't seem to be it as a single tank exhibits the same behaviour with the other 3 slots empty.
All module height variants were tested, but not larger cores, as this is an early career game. Can check other parts in sandbox if required.

I'm not sure if this is simply an instance of the notorious physics bug with heavy parts connected to very light ones or not, but it makes the otherwise phenomenal tank wedge unusable for me.

This is 1.6.0.9 on KSP 1.5.1, logs are clean FWIW.

I'm looking into this issue at the moment, I think I know what's causing it and hopefully should have it fixed for the next release.

17 hours ago, Friend Bear said:

Thank you for the quick response!

So there isn't a replacement or workaround right? It simply just isn't ready and 1.875 diameter storage isn't an option for the time being? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

There is a 2.5m to 1.875m tapered fairing that will take the 5 bay core, but nothing in that size for cylindrical storage.  We know it is a highly requested part though and will aim to get it released as a high priority.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:14 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

I'm looking into this issue at the moment, I think I know what's causing it and hopefully should have it fixed for the next release.

There is a 2.5m to 1.875m tapered fairing that will take the 5 bay core, but nothing in that size for cylindrical storage.  We know it is a highly requested part though and will aim to get it released as a high priority.

Thank you!

Hey I have another question. I can't figure out how to transfer resources, like water from one tank to another; useful for if I plan on reusing a lander that needs TAC Life support resources through your mod.

Perhaps I forgot how to transfer things generally in Kerbal and it's as simple as that but I think I'm lost.

Thanks again!

---------------

I tested it. It is still selecting with Alt, but I found the problem.

I can transfer to/from the radial tanks, but not the US interior tanks (neither between those tanks or to/from those tanks to a radial).

Edited by Friend Bear
New Question

On 1/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, Friend Bear said:

Hey I have another question. I can't figure out how to transfer resources, like water from one tank to another; useful for if I plan on reusing a lander that needs TAC Life support resources through your mod.

Perhaps I forgot how to transfer things generally in Kerbal and it's as simple as that but I think I'm lost.

You can transfer resource using the stock KSP method.  Right click the first part, then hold [alt] and right click the second part, the UI will then include buttons to pump fuel in or out.

People having the quad core structure issue, can you try using an 1.25m Attitude Control Decoupler above the quad core?

I've found it fixes the issue, which is at least a work around until we fix the bug properly. 

Universal-Storage-ACD-1.25m.png

The Attitude Control Decoupler combines a stack separator and in-line stabilizer to provide staging and reaction wheel systems in a single, low weight package. Available in Apollo, Gemini and Portkjet inspired color schemes.
  • Cost: 1200
  • Mass: 0.05
  • Node attach: Yes
  • Surface attach: No
  • Tech level: Advanced Flight Control
  • Research cost: 3600
  • Category: Payload
  • Tags: Universal Storage Decoupler Stack Separator Reaction Wheel

10 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

You can transfer resource using the stock KSP method.  Right click the first part, then hold [alt] and right click the second part, the UI will then include buttons to pump fuel in or out.

I re-tested. Looks like my game is glitched. It works for monopro but no liquid fuel/oxy. Gotta figure out how to submit that bug... Ugh

Sorry for the trouble.

--------

Solved. A selection the game mode settings prevented manual fuel transfer. In case someone comes across the issue, I want to post the link to that forum post here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/181552-cannot-transfer-fuel/

I hope that doesn't violate rules. Thank you, again!

Edited by Friend Bear

I've been doing some further work on the shaky quad core bug and have a solution I'm currently testing, if anyway wants to implement the fix themselves and test it that would be a big help.  The people who have reported this problem above, @MechBFP, @steve_v, @Jade_Falcon, @PhantomC3PO, @Space Cowboy Bob if you're interested in testing the fix:

You need to add the line: PhysicsSignificance = 1 to US_Quad.cfg

That will make the part physicsless which resolved the compression issue and the shaky wedge issue.  This part used to be physicsless way back in the early days of Universal Storage 1, but we changed it due to limitations with the shroud.  Now the shroud / fairing is a separate part the problem is no longer relevant.

Let me know how you get on and I'll carry on testing this end.

image.png

10 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

I've been doing some further work on the shaky quad core bug and have a solution I'm currently testing, if anyway wants to implement the fix themselves and test it that would be a big help.  The people who have reported this problem above, @MechBFP, @steve_v, @Jade_Falcon, @PhantomC3PO, @Space Cowboy Bob if you're interested in testing the fix:

You need to add the line: PhysicsSignificance = 1 to US_Quad.cfg

That will make the part physicsless which resolved the compression issue and the shaky wedge issue.  This part used to be physicsless way back in the early days of Universal Storage 1, but we changed it due to limitations with the shroud.  Now the shroud / fairing is a separate part the problem is no longer relevant.

Let me know how you get on and I'll carry on testing this end.

image.png

That seems to fix it, thanks @Paul Kingtiger, I tested it on a craft that used to have the problem and no Kraken strike :) 

Has anyone else seen the MM complain about TacGenericConverter when it runs through US2?

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage2/Parts/Processors/Sabatier/USSabatier'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'TacGenericConverter'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

PartLoader: Part 'UniversalStorage2/Parts/Processors/Sabatier/USSabatier' has no database record. Creating.

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage2/Parts/Processors/WaterPurifier/USWaterPurifier'

Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'TacGenericConverter'

PartLoader: Part 'UniversalStorage2/Parts/Processors/WaterPurifier/USWaterPurifier' has no database record. Creating.

I also threw the PhysicsSignificance into my cfg, I'll let you know how it works.

2 hours ago, _Zee said:

Has anyone else seen the MM complain about TacGenericConverter when it runs through US2?

Hmm, those two parts, Sabatier and Water Purifier should only load if TAC LS, Kerbalism or USI LS are installed and include code to remove TacGenericConverter if USI or Kerbalism are being used but I guess it isn't working correctly.  I'll look into it.

What other mods do you have installed? 

Kerbalism is installed, but TACLS is not.
From what I can tell, the code is telling Kerbalism to remove the TacGenericConverter but doesn't check to see if TACLS is actually installed. So when it goes to remove the module it throws an error because it doesn't exist.

ZqBMXt4.png

I'm having a slight issue, with the wedges while trying to attach them to the 4-wedge core while on EVA.

It's mostly working fine, once I figured out that while you can drop the wedges on the ground they'll maintain their size, the core itself does not.

Anyway, that's not the main issue.  The problem I'm having is that it's a little picky about which wedges will attach.  The Food Bag(x2), Oxygen Tank(x2), and Water Tanks(x1) all attached ok.  The RTG and Greywater(x1) tank would not.  The game would give me a message that "This part is not allowed on the mount!"

screenshot113.png

249screenshot114.png

However they do attach to other nodes fine.

b62screenshot115.png

Is this a bug, or is it somehow intentional?  I am fairly heavily modded otherwise.  I'm off to bed now, but I can test a barebones environment tomorrow.

GameData:

Spoiler

Screenshotat20190122.png

KSP.log : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eGf6R4slECh6DaBSqVAxIoGHEBfq36xR

11 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

It's a bug, but it should be a quick fix.  I'll take a look after work tonight and get you a patch out.

@Geonovast Use the link below and drop in your KSP folder, it'll overwrite the core parts and should fix your issues.  Let me know how you get on.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvmqbLkW8UIH2ZZ-0hwS1f0uEcsTTQ