Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

It would be really awesome if this was scaled up to the 3.75 - 7.5m form factors and that each of the modular wedges were actual pods that kerbals could live and work in. It would be even more awesome if that worked with USI or Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

3 hours ago, ljcolasanto said:

It would be really awesome if this was scaled up to the 3.75 - 7.5m form factors and that each of the modular wedges were actual pods that kerbals could live and work in. It would be even more awesome if that worked with USI or Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

There might be another mod that could fill that niche for you; doing all of that would be an insane amount of work. It has taken me well over three years to make all this stuff so far, I'd rather not take another three :)

I'm scribbling together a mm patch to add support for TAC LS "combined supply resources wedge" and "combined waste resources wedge", mirroring TAC's own objects, useful for short to medium duration missions where space is at a premium.  Before I go too far ( it's a learning process for me), has anyone done this already?

16 hours ago, Mystique said:

US II 1.6.0.9 from CKAN, KSP 1.6.1.2401.

BTW, seems like version file both in space dock and in CKAN is not updated with "1.6.0.9" version number.

I recommend trying the beta release (see first post for download details) 

Let me know if you're having the same issues.

7 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

I recommend trying the beta release (see first post for download details) 

Let me know if you're having the same issues.

Tried beta, dry mass seem to be in order; no resource amount is shown in description in part list (maybe it's due to several available sizes of each part, where each contains different amount of resource).

@Paul Kingtiger Ref my post above - I can't claim to have made anything new but your fully commented code is very easy to follow, which is really helpful for a novice in the field like me.  I've done a copy/paste job that adds two new wedges with combined Life Support and Waste for TAC LS, balanced roughly against TAC LS and the regular Wedges in terms of capacity and cost. They work apart from the titles (I still don't understand the autoloc thing).  Are you happy for me to post them up here for others or would you prefer I send them to you for vetting first?

Edited by Friznit

11 hours ago, Friznit said:

@Paul Kingtiger Ref my post above - I can't claim to have made anything new but your fully commented code is very easy to follow, which is really helpful for a novice in the field like me.  I've done a copy/paste job that adds two new wedges with combined Life Support and Waste for TAC LS, balanced roughly against TAC LS and the regular Wedges in terms of capacity and cost. They work apart from the titles (I still don't understand the autoloc thing).  Are you happy for me to post them up here for others or would you prefer I send them to you for vetting first?

Feel free to post them!

On 3/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, Daishi said:

There might be another mod that could fill that niche for you; doing all of that would be an insane amount of work. It has taken me well over three years to make all this stuff so far, I'd rather not take another three :)

Haha got it. Let me just say then that I love your work so far. It adds some flexibility to the game that I'm really appreciative of.

OK, this is my first time attempt to script kiddie some code so go easy on me - I've simply copied the code from existing wedges, tweaked a couple of settings and removed some redundant bits.  As mentioned above, the titles in the VAB don't work so any pointers for what I'm missing would be welcome.

These configs add TAC LS combined Life Support Wedge and combined Waste Wedge, so you can have a single wedge covering all three types of Life Support mirroring the capabilities of the equivalent TAC LS parts.  The main use case is for small, short range craft (e.g. Minmus trips) where a single food bag is too much but crew capsules hold too little.  Content, mass and costs are balanced (very roughly) against the existing US2 resources wedges and TAC LS parts.  Use at your own risk or until a grown up validates they won't break everything!

TAC LS Combined Life Support Wedge

TAC LS Combined Waste Wedge

@Friznit What are you trying to do? Add multiple resources to a few different wedges?

If you want to change the part's title you'll either have to add it directly to the part config, change the title in the localization file, or add new localization tags.

@Mystique I don't think the system currently shows the available resource amounts for each variant. It just shows which resources are available. That information can probably be added.

There is also a problem with the VAB part tooltips showing the wrong mass and cost for the different variants. I think that those values are a lot of trouble to edit, but I might be able to add that information to the side panel where all of the other info is shown for each module.

Edited by DMagic

Essentially just adding (duplicating) a new part with multiple resources using the USFuelSwitch syntax.  I understand now - the US2 parts reference a separate US2 localization file, which obviously won't have the new name so I'll need to hard code the names in these part configs or add a MM bit to append something to the US2 Localization file (is that actually something that MM can do?)  Edit: nope!

Edited by Friznit

13 hours ago, Friznit said:

Essentially just adding (duplicating) a new part with multiple resources using the USFuelSwitch syntax.  I understand now - the US2 parts reference a separate US2 localization file, which obviously won't have the new name so I'll need to hard code the names in these part configs or add a MM bit to append something to the US2 Localization file (is that actually something that MM can do?)  Edit: nope!

You can create your own localization file, as long as you copy the correct syntax there's not limit to the number of localization files or requirement for the file names to match.  But if you're not planing to support multiple languages then it's simpler to remove the autoLOC code and just use standard text.

14 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Another small issue with the new parts, the probe core doesn't seem to be controllable.

Can you add a reaction wheel to your design? I noticed that I had control in my small amount of testing, but you did need additional hardware to orient the craft. We could always add a small reaction wheel to the probe core if it's too frustrating. 

Edited by Daishi

14 hours ago, Daishi said:

Can you add a reaction wheel to your design? I noticed that I had control in my small amount of testing, but you did need additional hardware to orient the craft. We could always add a small reaction wheel to the probe core if it's too frustrating. 

it had a reaction wheel, but the game just didn't seem to recognize that it was a controlled part, maybe it didn't see the built in antenna for some reason.  I'll try it again to see if I can replicate the issue.

Don't know exactly what was affected, but installing Comunity Parts titles made several parts from this mod disappear. I was unable too of finding any universal storage parts by putting universal in the search bar.

In particular, the ones I noticed were the food, water and oxygen wedges. I am also using kerbalism.

Removing the mod solved the problem.

Is there away to disable displaying useless resources when not having installed any life support mod?

For example, the radial tank part for example displays two resources, oxygen or hydrogen, which are just clutter if I don't have any mod that uses them

Just now, aat said:

Is there away to disable displaying useless resources when not having installed any life support mod?

For example, the radial tank part for example displays two resources, oxygen or hydrogen, which are just clutter if I don't have any mod that uses them

The fuel cells use them! Mainly because the stock ones didn't exist at the time of development and we thought running them on LF was a little lazy. I dunno. 

4 minutes ago, Daishi said:

The fuel cells use them! Mainly because the stock ones didn't exist at the time of development and we thought running them on LF was a little lazy. I dunno. 

Ok, I see. Well, now the stock fuel cell exists and runs with liquid fuel and oxydizer (https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Fuel_Cell)

Is a bit strange to have the stock one working with LF and the USII one using a different set of resources? Any chance of removing the duplicate?

Just now, aat said:

Ok, I see. Well, now the stock fuel cell exists and runs with liquid fuel and oxydizer (https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Fuel_Cell)

Is a bit strange to have the stock one working with LF and the USII one using a different set of resources? Any chance of removing the duplicate?

But then you'd be removing both the O2 and H2 tanks too :|  Reducing the mod to just, what, monoprop, the batteries and LF? You could edit your .cfg files to tweak the mod to suit yourself, it's not too tricky. @Paul Kingtiger might be interested in making a patch if he has some time, but I think those FC's and all the work he's done with them in the past should remain as a cornerstone of this mod. 

Uhm I see. Well, this is a bit disappointing for people like me who want to keep a clean stock-alike game. Also, modifying the files is fine for me, but since the mod is still in dev this would mean redoing the changes each time. Unless there's a git repository to fork and sync, which I don't seem to find (is there?).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.