Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

As I discovered recently, knocking up a MM patch to change contents or duplicate wedges with different resources is really straight forward, even for people like me with zero coding skills.  The files all have detailed comments so it's easy to follow.

11 hours ago, Daishi said:

But then you'd be removing both the O2 and H2 tanks too :|  Reducing the mod to just, what, monoprop, the batteries and LF? You could edit your .cfg files to tweak the mod to suit yourself, it's not too tricky. @Paul Kingtiger might be interested in making a patch if he has some time, but I think those FC's and all the work he's done with them in the past should remain as a cornerstone of this mod. 

How about creating a sabatier reactor + electrolysis reactor, which in the end would produce LF (instead of methane) and Oxidizer (1:1 from O2), taking CO2 from the atmosphere? That would make a much more realistic fuel production process than the stock ISRU from ore. Also, a real sabatier reactor would probably be roughly the same size as the Universal Storage II parts, not the exaggerated stock converters.

16 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

How about creating a sabatier reactor + electrolysis reactor, which in the end would produce LF (instead of methane) and Oxidizer (1:1 from O2), taking CO2 from the atmosphere? That would make a much more realistic fuel production process than the stock ISRU from ore. Also, a real sabatier reactor would probably be roughly the same size as the Universal Storage II parts, not the exaggerated stock converters.

We already have plans in that direction, to allow Mars Direct style resource production.

If you check out the feature requests on our issue tracker (link in my sig) you'll see parts needed for the full cycle.

I don't know when we'll be working on that though.  At some point in the future

image.png

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

8 hours ago, Kastruss said:

@Paul Kingtiger

Hi! I'm from Brazil, and started to translate your mod to pt-br. When finished, can I send to you? To make official.

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely!  Send me a PM and we'll work it out from there.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

I just want to be sure before I screw up my save.  To install the Beta, should it overwrite the release version or should the release version be uninstalled?

Overwrite is fine.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:53 PM, Daishi said:

But then you'd be removing both the O2 and H2 tanks too :|  Reducing the mod to just, what, monoprop, the batteries and LF? You could edit your .cfg files to tweak the mod to suit yourself, it's not too tricky. @Paul Kingtiger might be interested in making a patch if he has some time, but I think those FC's and all the work he's done with them in the past should remain as a cornerstone of this mod. 

On 3/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, aat said:

Uhm I see. Well, this is a bit disappointing for people like me who want to keep a clean stock-alike game. Also, modifying the files is fine for me, but since the mod is still in dev this would mean redoing the changes each time. Unless there's a git repository to fork and sync, which I don't seem to find (is there?).

OK, here is a MM patch to realign USII to stock behaviour:
I basically remove oxygen, water and hydrogen, and bring the PEM and Alkaline cell close to the stock Fuel cell and Fuel cell array, respectively. Using input LFO, as stock.

// Remove non-stockalike Universal Storage II modules
!PART[USWaterWedge]:FINAL
{
}

!PART[USOxygenWedge]:FINAL
{
}

!PART[USHydrogenWedge]:FINAL
{
}

!PART[USElektron]:FINAL
{
}

// Edit radial tank to remove unused resources
@PART[USRadialTanks]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
        @resourceNames = MonoPropellant;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer
		@resourceAmounts = 3.75;1.215,1.485
        @initialResourceAmounts = 3.75;1.215,1.485
        @tankCost = -20;-32.5
        @tankMass = -.01;-0.01481
	}

@MODULE[USSwitchControl]
    {
        @ObjectNames = Monoprop;Liquid Fuel
		@VariantColors = #eb7c10,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999 //#2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999
    }

@MODULE[USMeshSwitch]
    {
        @MeshTransforms = RadialSmallMonoprop;RadialSmallLiquidFuel
    }
}

// Edit PEM cell to match stock Fuel Cell
@PART[USFuelCellSmal]:FINAL
{

@fuelCrossFeed = true
    @cost = 1500
    @mass = 0.075
    @TechRequired = largeElectrics

@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]
	{
        %FillAmount = 0.95

@INPUT_RESOURCE,0
        {
            @ResourceName = LiquidFuel
            @Ratio = 0.003375
			@FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW  
        }

@INPUT_RESOURCE,1
		{
            @ResourceName = Oxidizer
			@Ratio = 0.004125
		}

@OUTPUT_RESOURCE,0
		{
			@ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			@Ratio = 3.0
			@DumpExcess = false
		}

!OUTPUT_RESOURCE,1 
        {
        }
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 125
		maxAmount = 125
	}
}

// Edit Alkaline cell to match stock Fuel Cell Array
@PART[USFuelCellMedium]:FINAL
{

@fuelCrossFeed = true
    @cost = 3000
    @mass = 0.12
    @TechRequired = specializedElectrics
    @AutoShutdown = false

@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]
	{
        %FillAmount = 0.95

@INPUT_RESOURCE,0
        {
            @ResourceName = LiquidFuel
            @Ratio = 0.0135
        }

@INPUT_RESOURCE,1
		{
            @ResourceName = Oxidizer
			@Ratio = 0.0165
		}

@OUTPUT_RESOURCE,0
		{
			@ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			@Ratio = 12.0
			@DumpExcess = false
		}

!OUTPUT_RESOURCE,1 
        {
        }
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 250
		maxAmount = 250
	}
}

Hi @Paul Kingtiger

First, thank you for this and the original Universal Storage.

Speaking of which, back when US was one of the few ways to have a fuel cell in game, there was a discussion (that I was a part of) about making it so the fuel cell would stop using input resources if EC was full. So, for example, if you have a ship with solar panels sufficient to keep things powered up in Kerbol's warm embrace, your trusty fuel cell wouldn't use any hydrogen or oxygen. As I recall this was discussed in a few places on a few forums, with questions about realism being brought up as well as the point being made that early fuel cells couldn't be stopped and restarted (but KSP ones can), etc. IIRC, you made it possible to use the US Fuel Cell only when EC was in demand, and that resource usage would stop otherwise. Assuming I'm not totally senile, is this something that could be done with the US II Fuel Cells?

Thank you!

BTW - If that is the behavior I should be seeing, I am obviously not, and would welcome some suggestions. :)

Edited by eightiesboi
Clarification

KSP v1.6.1, UI 2 latest beta, MKS v1.1.0.0

I placed the Recycling Module on a craft but it a) doesn't have an effect on the MKS/LS numbers (nothing under Parts/Recycler) and b) it doesn't react to part menu button clicks (i.e. I cannot change the recipe).  What am I doing wrong/missing?

KSP Log file

UW7jSYA.png

9 hours ago, eightiesboi said:

Hi @Paul Kingtiger

Speaking of which, back when US was one of the few ways to have a fuel cell in game, there was a discussion (that I was a part of) about making it so the fuel cell would stop using input resources if EC was full..

It should already be working that way (and was last time I tested).  I'll check again and get back to you.

8 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I placed the Recycling Module on a craft but it a) doesn't have an effect on the MKS/LS numbers (nothing under Parts/Recycler) and b) it doesn't react to part menu button clicks (i.e. I cannot change the recipe).  What am I doing wrong/missing?

I'm not a heavy user of USI/LS so I'll have to look into this and get back to you.

10 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I think it doesn't mention USI-LS recycling capabilities even in its part info tooltip. I guess there is either no USI-LS PartModule or it's configured incorrectly.

3 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Pushed an update to the beta build which should fix the USI LS function for the Recycling Module.

It now works for me. Thanks.

Is the "Recipe: ???" entry on the PAW yours?  And, did you deliberately remove the Install, Next and Previous actions since, perhaps, they're just for TAC-LS?  I ask because I'm not sure what to expect with your parts and MKS.

Edited by Brigadier
More info/questions

9 hours ago, Brigadier said:

It now works for me. Thanks.

Is the "Recipe: ???" entry on the PAW yours?  And, did you deliberately remove the Install, Next and Previous actions since, perhaps, they're just for TAC-LS?  I ask because I'm not sure what to expect with your parts and MKS.

Ok, looks like I'll be sending the weekend learning how USI LS works!

Ok, so the Recycling module looks and works as intended.

image.png

image.png

Notice how the supply increases when the module is turned on.

image.png

The fuel cells are also throttling to demand.  I have noticed that the display can be sticky, but the numbers are correct.

image.png

This should be the last update for the beta, unless we find any new bugs.  Once KSP 1.7 is released we'll test this version against it and all being well push out Universal Storage II 1.7.0.10!

Hmm Kingtiger's one drive reports the last modified date of the beta release as the 10th of March, yet there are mentions of new beta releases today and yesterday. Can anyone point me to the correct direction to obtain a beta download please?

Nevermind, it turns out it's just one drive being annoying, the contents of the download are different than what I had previously downloaded and includes the recently mentioned changes.

Edited by canisin

I'm having a very odd problem with the four wedge section. I have a single with two monoprop wedges, one life support wedge, and a battery wedge. Basically, when the stage the core is attached to is fired, the wedges start vibrating uncontrollably and tear the ship to shreds. The ship operates 100% normally up until this point. I've used USII for quite a long time and have never seen this before.

I downloaded it from CKAN if that matters.

EDIT: OK, after further troubleshooting it appears to be some kind of problem with the life support wedge. If I replace it with anything else the problem doesn't appear. However, the addition of a one-height (didn't try it with larger) life support wedge will cause the death vibrations. Curious.

EDIT 2: Ok, the vibrations are still there even when I eliminate the life support wedge, they are just very fine. Also, when I stick four life support wedges next to each other I don't have to wait at all for the problem, the ship is ripped apart in seconds.

It looks like perhaps the parts are clipping? Is there any good way of fixing this? It wouldn't surprise me if it's some kind of issue on my end. My game is heavily modded and not all my mods have been updated for 1.6.

Edited by captainradish

3 hours ago, captainradish said:

I'm having a very odd problem with the four wedge section. I have a single with two monoprop wedges, one life support wedge, and a battery wedge. Basically, when the stage the core is attached to is fired, the wedges start vibrating uncontrollably and tear the ship to shreds. The ship operates 100% normally up until this point. I've used USII for quite a long time and have never seen this before.

I downloaded it from CKAN if that matters.

EDIT: OK, after further troubleshooting it appears to be some kind of problem with the life support wedge. If I replace it with anything else the problem doesn't appear. However, the addition of a one-height (didn't try it with larger) life support wedge will cause the death vibrations. Curious.

EDIT 2: Ok, the vibrations are still there even when I eliminate the life support wedge, they are just very fine. Also, when I stick four life support wedges next to each other I don't have to wait at all for the problem, the ship is ripped apart in seconds.

It looks like perhaps the parts are clipping? Is there any good way of fixing this? It wouldn't surprise me if it's some kind of issue on my end. My game is heavily modded and not all my mods have been updated for 1.6.

That issue is fixed in the current beta, download instructions in the first post.

Minor update to the beta release

• Part icons now appear correctly in the tech tree
  • Rebalanced tech tree stats for the goo and material bay wedges
  • Balanced EVA-x data transmission
  • Part catalog on website updated with new parts and balance changes
    http://www.kingtiger.online/uvsii/ 

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Question/suggestion/feature request: could the cores contain monoprop instead of LFO if they aren't set for crew passage? With a few mods, I may not necessarily be using LFO to propel the ship, but it may still be nice to have a bit more of monoprop in a convenient storage for RCS in that case

51 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Question/suggestion/feature request: could the cores contain monoprop instead of LFO if they aren't set for crew passage? With a few mods, I may not necessarily be using LFO to propel the ship, but it may still be nice to have a bit more of monoprop in a convenient storage for RCS in that case

Monoprop is already available as an option (along with Xenon).  Just use the Central payload variants (at the bottom of the window) to select between Crew transfer tunnen, Fuel, Monopro, or Xenon.
[EDIT] I've just noticed that the KSPedia page is out of date and shows the right click UI for an earlier version where only LF+O was an option.  I've added it to the issue tracker and we'll get it updated.

image.png

Edited by Paul Kingtiger