Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

On 5/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, kraden said:

If anyone cares for my two cents on this, I'd prefer that it stay how it is.  I intentionally lock bays occasionally if they don't have anything that I need to access in flight, like batteries.  I like the aesthetic and it's nice to only have the correct bays available to open.

I completely agree that the way it works is perfectly sensible. I jut didn't interpret the dialogue in the VAB to mean that 'locked' meant it couldn't be unlocked in flight. It's one of those things that when you know what it means it seems obvious, but coming to it cold, a little pointer in the documentation can save some embarrassment.

Personally I like to be able to open EVERYTHING because I run with Dangit, and it's always nice to be able to patch a leak. That's fine of course, because so long as I leave stuff unlocked I can do that. 

There appears to be a problem with one of the textures.  It's a bit... Transparent.

download

I haven't done an exhaustive test, but I only really notice it on one side (though some of the hinges are missing as well) on the 2.5m 2x shroud, in the one color variant.

Opening the bay it's solid from the other side, but remains invisible from the 'outside'.

17 hours ago, meeware said:

I completely agree that the way it works is perfectly sensible. I jut didn't interpret the dialogue in the VAB to mean that 'locked' meant it couldn't be unlocked in flight. It's one of those things that when you know what it means it seems obvious, but coming to it cold, a little pointer in the documentation can save some embarrassment.

Personally I like to be able to open EVERYTHING because I run with Dangit, and it's always nice to be able to patch a leak. That's fine of course, because so long as I leave stuff unlocked I can do that. 

I'd suggest looking up something like "Part Commander" or "Ship Manifest" so you can access the parts that are hidden behind other parts without having to do the camera clipping limbo to get inside shrouds. I can't vouch for how well they work, since they haven't been updated to 1.7.0, but from the threads people are indicating that it still seems to work.

As an alternate suggestion for Kingtiger, perhaps unlocking the bays could be an EVA action? That would make some sense.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, TBenz said:

I have to ask, is it intentional that the LF/Ox wedge tanks have an ever-so-slightly incorrect ratio of LF to Ox? They hold multiples of 11 LF to 14 Ox (8.8/11.2) when engines burn using 11.25 LF to 13.75 Ox (9/11). What you have now are cleaner, whole numbers, and the total volume does match the stock tank volume, but it will forever bother me that I have slightly too much oxidizer left over. This only affects the wedge tanks (in all sizes), the radial tank has the correct ratio. Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I noted the same, and submitted an Issue.

EDIT: Ignore my issue on 3 July 19.  Went back further and saw it brought up In April, with note that it was to be addressed in version X.X.X.11

Edited by KSPrynk

15 hours ago, Erzengel said:

I'd suggest looking up something like "Part Commander" or "Ship Manifest" so you can access the parts that are hidden behind other parts without having to do the camera clipping limbo to get inside shrouds. I can't vouch for how well they work, since they haven't been updated to 1.7.0, but from the threads people are indicating that it still seems to work.

As an alternate suggestion for Kingtiger, perhaps unlocking the bays could be an EVA action? That would make some sense.

Part commander continued is what you want, I use it myself although I haven't tried it with DangIt!

5 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Part commander continued is what you want, I use it myself although I haven't tried it with DangIt!

Most mods will work fine in 1.7.2.  That bein said, Im in the middle of updating all my mods for 1.7.2, look for this in the next week or so

Hi,

can anyone confirm that the animation of the goo container does´t work. It starts off being extended out of the wedge and can´t be retracted. Im playing on KSP 1.7.2 and USII 1.7.0.11 (beta from OneDrive). If needed, I can provide more info.

Are there any plans to add a 1.875 straight shroud? Either my tech tree is acting up or they aren't a thing yet. I do have a 1.875-1.5 (BDB) adapter, but the inline shrouds are 2.5 and 1.25 :/

1 hour ago, Koprolith said:

Hi,

can anyone confirm that the animation of the goo container does´t work. It starts off being extended out of the wedge and can´t be retracted. Im playing on KSP 1.7.2 and USII 1.7.0.11 (beta from OneDrive). If needed, I can provide more info.

I have no experience with the beta, but I don't recall having problems with the regular release though I haven't checked under 1.7.2. Maybe try the regular release to see if it works there?

31 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Are there any plans to add a 1.875 straight shroud? Either my tech tree is acting up or they aren't a thing yet. I do have a 1.875-1.5 (BDB) adapter, but the inline shrouds are 2.5 and 1.25 :/

On 7/3/2019 at 12:12 PM, Erzengel said:

I don't think this would help @meeware's problem.  IIRC, if something breaks with Dangit! and you need to fix it, you have to go EVA and select the part to repair.  I'm pretty sure there's a setting to not have to go EVA, but if you're looking for that bit of realism then I understand not wanting to use something like that setting, Ship Manifest, or Part Commander.  As a recommendation, you could put the bay doors on action groups or just leave them unlocked and open them manually as you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

I have no experience with the beta, but I don't recall having problems with the regular release though I haven't checked under 1.7.2. Maybe try the regular release to see if it works there?

Yep i'm slowly working my way through a new set of shrouds. They'll be in the next update. 

1 hour ago, Daishi said:

Yep i'm slowly working my way through a new set of shrouds. They'll be in the next update. 

Thank you very much! My apologies for asking a question that was answered a couple of pages back :blush:

2 hours ago, kraden said:

I don't think this would help @meeware's problem.  IIRC, if something breaks with Dangit! and you need to fix it, you have to go EVA and select the part to repair.  I'm pretty sure there's a setting to not have to go EVA, but if you're looking for that bit of realism then I understand not wanting to use something like that setting, Ship Manifest, or Part Commander.  As a recommendation, you could put the bay doors on action groups or just leave them unlocked and open them manually as you mentioned.

Ah, OK, that would make sense. Then the idea of being able to unlock/lock from EVA (which I see TBenz had before I did) would actually be perfect for this situation. It would probably be the simplest solution to just enable the "unlock" action when on EVA, though a more interesting solution would be that if it's locked in VAB, then it can only be *opened* and closed via EVA since "locking" it probably means taking out the motors.

10 hours ago, Erzengel said:

Ah, OK, that would make sense. Then the idea of being able to unlock/lock from EVA (which I see TBenz had before I did) would actually be perfect for this situation. It would probably be the simplest solution to just enable the "unlock" action when on EVA, though a more interesting solution would be that if it's locked in VAB, then it can only be *opened* and closed via EVA since "locking" it probably means taking out the motors.

By that logic, if you're taking out the motors, remove the hinges, latches, handles, locks, actuators, and wiring while you're at it to save mass.  Locked is locked :P, but I understand your point.  "Locked" might not be the best word if the intent was to make it unusable in flight because a lock can be unlocked.  Disabled, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

By that logic, if you're taking out the motors, remove the hinges, latches, handles, locks, actuators, and wiring while you're at it to save mass.  Locked is locked :P, but I understand your point.  "Locked" might not be the best word if the intent was to make it unusable in flight because a lock can be unlocked.  Disabled, perhaps?

Sure, but I'm just trying to come up with something that preserves the "locked in flight" while also handling the "I need to remove this panel in EVA so that the kerbal can operate on the thing behind it" scenario that's added by DangIt. If you removed hinges, actuators, etc, you'd still leave the bolts for the panel accessible so that you can remove it and operate on it in space. Hubble didn't have hinges on its panels, yet astronauts opened it up to fix it. Since making the "locked" door removable would be a significant amount of work (especially since the actual bay is inline and so can't be removed with KAS), I would think it would be easier, while still interesting, to be able to open it from EVA.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:17 PM, Koprolith said:

Hi,

22 hours ago, Jognt said:

I reverted to the .10 version and it works as intended unless I add Kerbalism 3.0 into the mix. So perhaps there is an issue with the way Kerbalism 3.0 modifies how science works...

@Paul Kingtiger Just as a sort of FYI, the Universal Storage combo material bay and mystery goo units have a strange interaction with the x science mod, in that the x science mod will register the units and give you the option to run the experiments, but clicking the button doesn't seem to actually gather science, but confuses the modules to think they've been run. I get a message that says can not run experiment, science module is full. However, right clicking on the modules does not show any stored reports, and there is no option to reset the modules. 

Posted in both forums because i'm not sure which side would need adjusted to fix, assuming this isn't just a bug on my end.

Edited by vardicd

Notice the Mystery Goo issue as previous poster ... but also noticed the Materials Bay module, I can run the experiment but cannot collect it manually on EVA?

EDIT :  Nevermind ... helps if I'm collecting from the right Material's module :P

Edited by Mordrehl

The science modules really need to be moved down the tech tree one or two tiers. I unlock the barometer and the thermometer in the first and second tiers, but the Universal Storage combined wedge is the fourth tier. There's not really a reason for this. Universal Storage is largely an aesthetic/design mod, and since I could just slap those two science parts on my rocket anywhere it's not really doing anything for me gameplay-wise having them locked behind the 90-science node. 

Or, at least put them on the Miniaturization tree where the goo and the materials bay is so I can have access to the rudimentary basics with just one R&D node (on top of the node I need for the structural basics needed for US2)

That, or DMagic needs to move his science parts around, because they're available on tier 3.

Edited by Frostiken

12 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

The science modules really need to be moved down the tech tree one or two tiers. I unlock the barometer and the thermometer in the first and second tiers, but the Universal Storage combined wedge is the fourth tier. There's not really a reason for this. Universal Storage is largely an aesthetic/design mod, and since I could just slap those two science parts on my rocket anywhere it's not really doing anything for me gameplay-wise having them locked behind the 90-science node. 

Or, at least put them on the Miniaturization tree where the goo and the materials bay is so I can have access to the rudimentary basics with just one R&D node (on top of the node I need for the structural basics needed for US2)

That, or DMagic needs to move his science parts around, because they're available on tier 3.

Honestly, with the amount of tech tree mods out there, I'd just leave them where they are as a default and add a patch that assigns each one the same node as wherever its stock counterpart is. Though the wedges and shrouds do have a more luxurious feel to them that would feel wrong to have access to too early, I do agree that it feels like it takes quite a while to get access to them atm.

Re: [x] science: [x] science states in its OP that it does not plan on supporting mod-added science modules. Though DMagic's ScienceAnimateGeneric seems to be supported. I don't know if a 1:1 switch of USScienceModule -> DMscienceanimategeneric is possible, but that may be worth a try maybe?

3 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Honestly, with the amount of tech tree mods out there, I'd just leave them where they are as a default and add a patch that assigns each one the same node as wherever its stock counterpart is. Though the wedges and shrouds do have a more luxurious feel to them that would feel wrong to have access to too early, I do agree that it feels like it takes quite a while to get access to them atm.

Well I guess the real determining factor is that the US basic core for wedge support isn't available until Adv. Construction on Tier 4, so it doesn't make sense to have science modules for US unlocked before Tier 4.

However, this means DMagic would need to move his modules around, and at the very least the Atmospheric Testing wedge should at least be placed on the Miniaturization tier. Definitely needs to be moved off of Space Exploration. While Space Exploration is obviously a necessary tier, it's usually one of the last Tier 4 nodes I unlock because I simply need stuff in the other tiers first. Having the dumb thermometer locked into that tier is kind of annoying. 

Edited by Frostiken

Beautiful mod.

Small request: a science container wedge. I've been using a 1.25 core as a sample return module for Mun landers but the stock container forces my lander to be mushroom shaped and taller than I would prefer. A wedge would be awesome so I can make the stack shorter.

6 hours ago, birdog357 said:

Beautiful mod.

Small request: a science container wedge. I've been using a 1.25 core as a sample return module for Mun landers but the stock container forces my lander to be mushroom shaped and taller than I would prefer. A wedge would be awesome so I can make the stack shorter.

In the meantime, zer0Kerbal wrote this small MM patch that turns the MechJeb wedge into a science container.  The wedge is redundant now that MJ is added to all cores by default but the small computer model seems appropriate for retasking into a science data storage device.