Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

11 hours ago, Jognt said:

If you mean the orbital Science mod parts, they work fine for me. 

Are you using a mod to activate the experiments like [x] Science? Because that mod has problems with them that the maintainer for some reason doesnt feel like responding to. 

Using the regular part action menu should work fine. 

Are you using a mod to activate them?

When I activate the parts, the animations work fine, but they say "shrouded." If they work fine for you, this may be related to Kerbalism. I'm running 1.7.3 if that matters.

2 hours ago, Bloodbunny said:

When I activate the parts, the animations work fine, but they say "shrouded." If they work fine for you, this may be related to Kerbalism. I'm running 1.7.3 if that matters.

Now that you mention it, I had that once with the 1.25m shroud and the Atmospheric Fluid Spectrometer. 

Do you get this with every DM experiment and with every shroud?

15 hours ago, Jognt said:

Now that you mention it, I had that once with the 1.25m shroud and the Atmospheric Fluid Spectrometer. 

Do you get this with every DM experiment and with every shroud?

Haven't tried the other shrouds, but it was definitely with the 1.25m shroud, and happened with any experiment (magnetometer, telescope, solar collector)

20 minutes ago, Homozygote said:

I'm getting a bug with just this mod installed, where switching fuels in any of the tanks doesn't remove the old fuel, meaning both fuel types are in the tank at once. I'm guessing this is a known bug? Can't find anyone talking about it on here.

Here's m'log

It’s a purely graphical glitch due to recent changes to the Part Action Window. 

If you click outside of the window and select that part again it’ll show the right values/type. 

4 hours ago, Jognt said:

It’s a purely graphical glitch due to recent changes to the Part Action Window. 

If you click outside of the window and select that part again it’ll show the right values/type. 

I can reliably recreate this.  I've added it to the issue tracker, we'll probably need @DMagic to take a look as I think it's an issue with the plugin.
https://bitbucket.org/uvs2/universalstorage2/issues/33/part-right-click-ui-does-not-remove-old

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

8 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

I can reliably recreate this.  I've added it to the issue tracker, we'll probably need @DMagic to take a look as I think it's an issue with the plugin.
https://bitbucket.org/uvs2/universalstorage2/issues/33/part-right-click-ui-does-not-remove-old

Most mods had it, you can check out SimpleFuelSwitch or other mods for how they fixed it. 

Edit: @Paul Kingtiger while using US II I've come across some quirks and oddities here and there. Mostly minor nitpicks regarding part weights, resource transfer, and slight inconsistencies vs Stock.
Would you like me to list those here/add them to the tracker? I ask because it's not a small amount, I fully understand some of them being personal balance preference vs actual bugs, and I don't wish to flood you or the tracker ;). (and because I'm lazy, and it's easier to motivate myself to list them if I know the recipient would appreciate it :P

Edited by Jognt

On 8/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Jognt said:

Most mods had it, you can check out SimpleFuelSwitch or other mods for how they fixed it. 

Edit: @Paul Kingtiger while using US II I've come across some quirks and oddities here and there. Mostly minor nitpicks regarding part weights, resource transfer, and slight inconsistencies vs Stock.
Would you like me to list those here/add them to the tracker? I ask because it's not a small amount, I fully understand some of them being personal balance preference vs actual bugs, and I don't wish to flood you or the tracker ;). (and because I'm lazy, and it's easier to motivate myself to list them if I know the recipient would appreciate it :P

If you want to add them to the tracker that would be great.  I can't guarantee we'll make all your suggested changes, but we'll do our best to address the bugs / errors!

8 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

If you want to add them to the tracker that would be great.  I can't guarantee we'll make all your suggested changes, but we'll do our best to address the bugs / errors!

Ask and you shall receive. :D

I've added the biggest ones (the ones I made local MM patches for).

Others are related to part weight vs stock which isn't really something you can solve without making them useless when you consider adding a US core and shroud.
For example, the US2 battery has an insane charge vs. mass ratio on its own. But it normalizes when you consider the mass of the added core/shroud. The only way to balance this would be to make the core/shroud mass-less, which is suboptimal in its own way. So I'll consider these to be "Just the way it is".

Sidenote, US2 fuel wedges without core/shroud are amazing for small probes.. The low dry mass, though not really 'stockalike', really shows there.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:15 PM, Jognt said:

...But it normalizes when you consider the mass of the added core/shroud....

Yep, they were deliberately designed that way.  The goal was to minimize any mechanics reason for choosing one part over the other, but to make it an entirely looks / design choice.  It's one of those things where there are as many solutions as there are people, balance is hard!

It appears that the log-in to bitbucket is being blocked by my iPhones safari contentblocking, so i’ll Report 2 bugs here before I forget:

1. Minor - The 2.5m core generates a slight thrust torque when every side is occupied by the same part. (Place all LF wedges, still torque) it’s only 0.01Kn, but it bugged me. 

2. Major - when Resource Transfer Obeys Crossfeed Rules is enabled, parts below a US core cannot Crossfeed back up IF the bottom node of the core was populated in an earlier session. Build a craft from a probecore -> tank -> US core -> tank. Launch it, Crossfeed works fine. Revert to assembly, launch it, Crossfeed does not work. I checked the craft files and noticed that the bottom node loses its assignment, so whatever is below it is seemingly attached to nothing. 

Edit: both issues tested in a clean up to date install with just US2 and KER (for the torque readout)

Remembered to properly do this once I got home this time. Bugs have been added to the tracker.

Edited by Jognt

5 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Is that for another mod?

CryoTanks is part of Nertea's Cryogenic Engines and Kerbal Atomics, both of which add engines that run on cryogenic LqdHydrogen propellant.  It provides a partmodule for LqdHydrogen tanks that makes the hydrogen gradually leak away (simulating boiloff) unless the tank is actively cooled (consuming EC).  It includes a generic patch that adds a B9 fuel switcher with LqdHydrogen option to all existing LFO tanks that don't already have a fuel switcher, and also provides some special insulated "zero-boiloff" (ZBO) tanks that have a lower EC cost for cooling.

UniversalStorage fuel tanks have their fuel type defined by a USFuelSwitch module instead of a RESOURCE block, so they're not recognized as fuel tanks by the CryoTanks generic patch, so it can't automatically add LqdHydrogen support to them.  UniversalStorage also uses "Hydrogen", which is described as being stored cryogenically, but is a completely different resource from LqdHydrogen and doesn't have the CryoTanks boiloff mechanic.

So, two main options come to mind for what the relationship between US2 and CryoTanks could be:

• Replace all use of Hydrogen with LqdHydrogen when CryoTanks is present, and add ModuleCryoTank to any tanks that now hold LqdHydrogen.
  • Declare that US2 resource tanks are meant for things like life support and fuel cells, not engine propellant, so the hydrogen is stored under different conditions (temperature/pressure) than in a propellant tank and it's OK for them to be different and incompatible resources.  No changes needed, except maybe remove the "stored cryogenically" bit from the US2 Hydrogen tank part descriptions since those tanks don't suffer from boiloff.

Note that NearFutureLaunchVehicles has an optional patch which makes some engines run on cryogenic LqdMethane instead, and CryoTanks will patch fuel tanks to have LqdMethane as a switcher option alongside LqdHydrogen when that feature is enabled, also with the cyrogenic boiloff mechanic.  If US2 changes any tanks to hold LqdHydrogen, it should also offer LqdMethane as an option, with a :NEEDS[CryoTanksMethalox] condition.

Edited by Wyzard

On 8/11/2019 at 2:44 AM, birdog357 said:

I'm getting a error with the material bay saying "cannot run experiment; science module full" what's that all about?

I'm getting this one as well, but so far only the "Advanced Materials Bay" and "Advanced Goo Unit" modules, weirdly the "Atmospheric Science Unit" is fine. In case it helps. 

• I'm having the issue landed on Minmus (landed/inflight) but am yet to test anywhere besides the launchpad. 
  • I tested the same vehicle, and some test vehicles with different combinations of science modules and cannot recreate the issue on the launchpad.
  • I'm on 1.7.3. 
  • Running lots of parts mods but not much that is science related, only "[x] Science Continued".
Edited by crimsonbinome22
add extra info.

I'm having the same issue. I am unable to run experiments with the materials bay or the mystery goo. I keep getting a message that says the science module is full, but I haven't run any experiments. But it does work if I bring more than one. For example: One module of goo gives me the message that it can't run the experiments, but the rest work just fine. Same with the materials bay. I'm also using X science.

I'm loving this mod and thank you for all the work you put into it. US has been one of my favorite mods since the first US. So thank you for a great mod! 

Hey,

I'm getting this Errors in my logs:

190831T165411.054 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165411.198 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165411.334 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165411.470 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165411.625 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165411.787 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165411.935 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165412.081 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165412.237 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165412.397 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165412.542 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165412.692 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist
190831T165412.836 [ERROR] [PartLoader.CompileModel] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model' as model does not exist

Are they a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

16 hours ago, N3N said:

Hey,

I'm getting this Errors in my logs:

Are they a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

Those errors are pointing to our first mod, Universal Storage 1, that has been depreciated. I think you have an old mod somewhere that is trying to reference it, and according to your logs it's throwing up those errors because you don't have it installed. It might be an older version of Dmagic Orbital Sciences that used to use US1 as a dependency for some of its science parts. If so, that is very out of date, and updating it will hopefully solve the problem, and the errors should go away :)

17 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Those errors are pointing to our first mod, Universal Storage 1, that has been depreciated. I think you have an old mod somewhere that is trying to reference it, and according to your logs it's throwing up those errors because you don't have it installed. It might be an older version of Dmagic Orbital Sciences that used to use US1 as a dependency for some of its science parts. If so, that is very out of date, and updating it will hopefully solve the problem, and the errors should go away :)

Hello,

OK, thank you for your help and thank you for your great work!

Now I just have to find out which mod it is... :huh:

Are there going to be problems in-game with this errors or is there a way to find the culprit mod faster?

52 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hello,

OK, thank you for your help and thank you for your great work!

Now I just have to find out which mod it is... :huh:

Are there going to be problems in-game with this errors or is there a way to find the culprit mod faster?

Pretty sure Dmagic Orbital Sciences was the only mod that referenced the old Science bay, I'd have a look on his thread first and see if there's an update :)

Edited by Daishi

4 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Pretty sure Dmagic Orbitial Sciences was the only mod that referenced the old Science bay, I'd have a look on his thread first and see if there's an update :)

Hello,

I have his newest version.

I will search more in his thread, thank you.

Could it be an problem with this:

https://github.com/DMagic1/Orbital-Science/issues/94

https://github.com/DMagic1/Orbital-Science/issues/92

And this:

@Daishi speaking of Orbital Science- there's a few missions in that mod that require you launch a ship with specific science parts that have equivalents in this mod- but the mission doesn’t recognise said parts.  Would it be possible to fix this on your end, or would it have to be done on Orbital Science's end?

Thanks for the mod, on that note- it's making designing a science probe (and having it look nice :P) much easier!

Edited by horngeek

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.