Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

The quad core part for 1.25m does not have autostrut. Is this intentional, and if not is there a chance it can be fixed in the next release? I've also noticed some strange yellow lines on the 2.5m cylindrical fairing, similar to what appears in the aerodynamic overlay.

Is anyone else seeing flickering yellow lines in the US2 fairings?  The 1.25 & 0.625 cylinders are ok, but the 2.5m cylinder & the 1.25 to 0.625 tapered fairing both have it.  I haven't checked the other tapered fairings, but I feel like its related to the solar panel option on the fairing doors.  This was in both RC5 & RC6 with KSP 1.8.1, not sure of any other build & I did not see this in 1.7.3.  The lines are visible in both VAB & on an active craft.   I'm going to try it in a fresh save with just US2 & dependencies, hopefully tomorrow & I'll post a log from that if it continues in the fresh save.

Probe landed on Minmus at night, with the 1.25 to 0.625 taper fairing opened - it had the solar panels option on.  The red lines are also new - I haven't seen them anywhere else before this. 

TMILZJ0.png

VAB with solar panel option turned on - yellow lines follow the doors

Sjoi12B.png

VAB with solar panel option turned off - yellow lines still present, but stay pointing inward

wljf8Wf.png

2.5m fairing in the VAB.  I only took one image, but IIRC it follows the same behavior as the taper fairing.

sMkpgQF.png

Edited by Cavscout74

2 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Is anyone else seeing flickering yellow lines in the US2 fairings?  The 1.25 & 0.625 cylinders are ok, but the 2.5m cylinder & the 1.25 to 0.625 tapered fairing both have it.  I haven't checked the other tapered fairings, but I feel like its related to the solar panel option on the fairing doors.  This was in both RC5 & RC6 with KSP 1.8.1, not sure of any other build & I did not see this in 1.7.3.  The lines are visible in both VAB & on an active craft.   I'm going to try it in a fresh save with just US2 & dependencies, hopefully tomorrow & I'll post a log from that if it continues in the fresh save.

<snippage>

Yeah, I have the same thing.  I just haven't said anything about it because it doesn't really bother me.  It's not actually affecting the gameplay so... meh.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:07 AM, Pell said:

The quad core part for 1.25m does not have autostrut. Is this intentional, and if not is there a chance it can be fixed in the next release? I've also noticed some strange yellow lines on the 2.5m cylindrical fairing, similar to what appears in the aerodynamic overlay.

The quadcore got some really bad oscillation with autostrut turned on, so we removed it a while back to stop peoples craft exploding under stress. 

3 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Probe landed on Minmus at night, with the 1.25 to 0.625 taper fairing opened - it had the solar panels option on.  The red lines are also new - I haven't seen them anywhere else before this. 

VAB with solar panel option turned on - yellow lines follow the doors

Sjoi12B.png

VAB with solar panel option turned off - yellow lines still present, but stay pointing inward

2.5m fairing in the VAB.  I only took one image, but IIRC it follows the same behavior as the taper fairing.

1 hour ago, MaxxQ said:

Yeah, I have the same thing.  I just haven't said anything about it because it doesn't really bother me.  It's not actually affecting the gameplay so... meh.

Sooo you guys seem to have a current dev build instead of an early release build :sticktongue: Solar isn't ready yet, so the development tools are still turned on in the configs. In each parts corresponding .cfg file there is a USSolarSwitch module, with a DebugMode set to true. Setting it to false will turn off the directional indicator lines. 

On 11/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, arkolis said:

Would it be possible to add a Tantares Green skin to this? If you don't have time I could help and send it to you, just need something to work off.

Thank you for all the work on this mod!!
~Ark

Coming soon! 

6 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Make sure you're using the latest version of the beta (currently RC7) you shouldn't be seeing the yellow lines.

is there an RC7 for 1.8+? because i'm not seeing one on the beta download page. just RC6, and there's an RC7 for 1.7+

21 hours ago, Daishi said:

Sooo you guys seem to have a current dev build instead of an early release build :sticktongue: Solar isn't ready yet, so the development tools are still turned on in the configs. In each parts corresponding .cfg file there is a USSolarSwitch module, with a DebugMode set to true. Setting it to false will turn off the directional indicator lines. 

Honestly, I wasn't aware of the built-in solar panels, so haven't used them.  I've only noticed the lines on the 2.5m part.

Anyway, as I said earlier, it's not a big deal to me, so I'll just leave things be until the full release is... well, released.

I'm having a bit of a problem with RC7 on 1.8.1. Both the advanced goo unit and advanced materials bay are saying "cannot run experiment; science module full" when i hit the observe button. The only options are to close it and observe. I tried bringing it back from the Mun but still got no science points from it. The only other mods are KIS, KAS, Mechjeb, Kerntrotter's Feline Utility Rover, NavyFish's Docking Port Alignment Indicator, ScanSat, Triggertech's Kerbal alarm clock and transfer window planer, And the one i suspect is causing the conflict Automated Science Sampler. The temp/pressure wedge works just fine though.

Update: removed all other mods. The ones on my ship at the mun still don't work. They work when i make a new craft. Maybe a bug with save/quick save?

Edited by Rasip
Updated.

1 hour ago, juanml82 said:

Question, are the wedge goo and material bays only supposed to be able to be run only a limited amount of times, even with a scientist restoring them?

From my playing, they seem to have something go wrong if the animations and science modules don't go at the same time. Running an experiment through [x]Science, especially without the experiment deployed, seems to cause them to lock up, with the "science module full" or whatever the warning is, and the only way I have been able to fix it so far is just restore a save point. As long as I manually run the experiment, I can keep resetting with a scientist.

1 hour ago, Krakatoa said:

Running an experiment through [x]Science, especially without the experiment deployed, seems to cause them to lock up, with the "science module full"

I've noticed this too, though I didn't realize it was caused by [x]Science.  But yeah: experiment won't run (even from the PAW), says the module is full, but an EVA scientist has no "take data" or "restore" option..

On 12/10/2019 at 3:27 AM, Wyzard said:

I've noticed this too, though I didn't realize it was caused by [x]Science.  But yeah: experiment won't run (even from the PAW), says the module is full, but an EVA scientist has no "take data" or "restore" option..

I've seen this as well, I think it might be connected to how [x]Science doesn't run the animations, or something like that. The way in which it runs them is definitely breaking them somehow.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:23 AM, juanml82 said:

Question, are the wedge goo and material bays only supposed to be able to be run only a limited amount of times, even with a scientist restoring them?

On 12/10/2019 at 2:51 AM, Krakatoa said:

From my playing, they seem to have something go wrong if the animations and science modules don't go at the same time. Running an experiment through [x]Science, especially without the experiment deployed, seems to cause them to lock up, with the "science module full" or whatever the warning is, and the only way I have been able to fix it so far is just restore a save point. As long as I manually run the experiment, I can keep resetting with a scientist.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:27 AM, Wyzard said:

1 hour ago, GJdude said:

I've seen this as well, I think it might be connected to how [x]Science doesn't run the animations, or something like that. The way in which it runs them is definitely breaking them somehow.

It’s a known incompatibility with X Science. X Science (according to its OP) is not planning compatibility with science modules beyond stock so I recommend doing these experiments manually to prevent issues. 

Edited by Jognt

On 11/7/2019 at 3:58 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Note this doesn't fix the issue with resource amounts resetting (to full) when reverting to the VAB, we're still working on that.

Is this still an outstanding issue?  I noticed it when using v1.7.0.10 on CKAN.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, moguy16 said:

@Paul Kingtiger any idea when the update will officially come out? and what is it's version number and where can i find the beta? thx

Beta for this update isn't out yet, there's a lot to check and balance and I want to fix everything I know about before I hand a beta over for you to find the stuff I missed.
I'll announce the beta here once it's ready.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Jognt said:

It’s a known incompatibility with X Science. X Science (according to its OP) is not planning compatibility with science modules beyond stock so I recommend doing these experiments manually to prevent issues. 

I have had the problem with science experiments locking up and refusing to work when I have xscience installed, even if i try and do the experiments manually, even with the xscience window closed. It doesn't happen every time, just randomly, but it seems even just having the xscience mod installed can become a ticking time bomb for experiments. I can't say for sure if that's xscience alone, or interacting with some other science based mod I was running at the time, mind, but I have seen it.

When I attach the tapered fairing adapter 0.625 (USAdaptorShroud0625) to the stock 1.25 m heat shield, it gets overheated quickly during the reentry and burns up (even though I still have lots of ablator). It doesn't happen to the similar stock adapter (which, by the way, also has a higher maxTemp). Perhaps the adapter is a little bit exposed from behind the heat shield or for some reason it believes that it's deployed when it's not. I haven't tested the other US2 shrouds yet.

4 hours ago, garwel said:

When I attach the tapered fairing adapter 0.625 (USAdaptorShroud0625) to the stock 1.25 m heat shield, it gets overheated quickly during the reentry and burns up (even though I still have lots of ablator). It doesn't happen to the similar stock adapter (which, by the way, also has a higher maxTemp). Perhaps the adapter is a little bit exposed from behind the heat shield or for some reason it believes that it's deployed when it's not. I haven't tested the other US2 shrouds yet.

It could be slightly exposed, yeah. Most of our parts are a smidgen larger than the stated diameters (due to clipping issues with wedges poking through the doors, and having the walls and collision meshes thick enough to ensure they seal around the wedges themselves) so it's probably what's happening. I'll check if i can tighten that 0.625m adaptor up.