Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

On 3/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, Jognt said:

Might be an idea to switch to DMagic's DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric? Personally I'm using a CFG that replaces DMModuleScienceAnimate in Orbital Science parts with the Generic variant since the generic variant works with X Science whereas the non-generic does not.

Of course I have no idea on whether or not DMagic's module has the required functionality to slot into US2 parts, but that guy is a wizard, so maybe? :)

Dmagic wrote both the US2 science .dll modules and DMOS in parallel, and they share an awful lot of code. I'm sure if X-Science can target one they should be able to target the other. Dmagic's wizardry is why US2 exists, after all :P

11 hours ago, Daishi said:

Dmagic wrote both the US2 science .dll modules and DMOS in parallel, and they share an awful lot of code. I'm sure if X-Science can target one they should be able to target the other. Dmagic's wizardry is why US2 exists, after all :P

Good to know, thanks. 

I don’t see X Science adding compatibility for anything any time soon though. Considering the fact that DM’s Generic module works but his non-generic does not and that it has repeatedly been stated that compatibility Isn’t planned. 

It may be possible to slot in DM’s generic module into US2 experiments clientside similar to my DMOS patch. Once I have the time to play or tinker, I’ll have a look. 

Universal Storage Pioneer Update for KSP 1.9.1 Beta release!!!

Usual beta rules apply.  They will be bugs, all content is subject to change.

If you find any issues please let us know here, or even better via the issue tracker (link in my sig)

The beta will be updated as a when, I'll let you know about any new updates here.
Can be downloaded via OneDrive

Beta release here

Naked link for the security conscious. 
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2Fa%2Fs!BPmqbLkW8UIH2aQj6fH4vTH7ojl9sw%3Fe%3D-w8F5itOdEqfGXq1RQvuCw%26at%3D9&data=02|01||c03b30a39e1243a236fb08d7ce3afdac|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637204625067143359&sdata=V1rQg2gx7G4hkaAR7duj66VveMX9%2FVeiLG78XpcS6Yw%3D&reserved=0

Are there any backward-compatibility concerns with the upcoming release?  I'm about to launch my first spacecraft using US2 parts in my current career game, so I want to make sure I'm not using anything that's about to be deprecated or removed.

Nothing will become unavailable, some parts will have balance changes to their cost, mass or the resources they carry.

If in doubt make a copy of your KSP folder, install the update in the copy and play it, if you don't like the results you have the original to carry on with.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Universal Storage Pioneer Update for KSP 1.9.1 Beta release!!!

This beta doesn't appear to contain the Soyuz SM and other new modules. Will they be included later on?

Since I was already using the earlier beta built for 1.8 anyway, I decided to just upgrade to the 1.9 beta in my career game.

Some initial observations:

• Some parts have changed tech nodes, so the game treats them as locked even though the tech tree still shows them as "owned" in the old nodes.  Not really a US2 bug, just an unavoidable side effect of changing a part's TechRequired in an existing save.  (It's OK, I know how to edit my save to move the unlocks to the new nodes without paying the fee again.)
  • A bunch of decoupler parts have "module" misspelled as "modle" in the description.
  • The generalConstruction tech node has some parts that show localization tag names in-game, instead of titles and descriptions: #autoLOC_USAdaptorShroud1250_Title, #autoLOC_USAdaptorShroud1250Soyuz_Title, #autoLOC_USAdaptorShroud1250Vostok_Title.
  • The battery wedge had its TechRequired changed from "electrics" to "basicElectrics", which doesn't exist.  Probably meant to be "basicScience", since that's one step down from "electrics".
Edited by Wyzard

8 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Since I was already using the earlier beta built for 1.8 anyway, I decided to just upgrade to the 1.9 beta in my career game.

• Some parts have changed tech nodes, so the game treats them as locked even though the tech tree still shows them as "owned" in the old nodes.  Not really a US2 bug, just an unavoidable side effect of changing a part's TechRequired in an existing save.  (It's OK, I know how to edit my save to move the unlocks to the new nodes without paying the fee again.)
  • A bunch of decoupler parts have "module" misspelled as "modle" in the description.
  • The generalConstruction tech node has some parts that show localization tag names in-game, instead of titles and descriptions: #autoLOC_USAdaptorShroud1250_Title, #autoLOC_USAdaptorShroud1250Soyuz_Title, #autoLOC_USAdaptorShroud1250Vostok_Title.
  • The battery wedge had its TechRequired changed from "electrics" to "basicElectrics", which doesn't exist.  Probably meant to be "basicScience", since that's one step down from "electrics".

Found and fixed. Thanks for the keen eye :)

10 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

This beta doesn't appear to contain the Soyuz SM and other new modules. Will they be included later on?

They only seem to be in the 1.9 folder in Onedrive. Backwards compatibility should be coming soon. 

Changelog (initial Pioneer update)
-------------------------------------------

* This update is themed around interfacing with Beale's Tantares revamp, focused around the Russian segment of 50's to 70's space exploration.
* New Vostok 1.25 -> 1.5m service module, with integrated monopropellant spheres, and an optional toridial fuel tank. This includes a socketed top to interface with a 0.625m acd\decoupler, and his equivalent Vostok crew capsule. Four bay, early tech tree. Integrated quadcore. Includes optional radiator module.
* New Soyuz 1.25 -> 1.5m service module, adjustable to 1 - 4 high. Heights 2,3,4 have solar panels integrated into the doors. This also features the toroidal fuel tank, with fuel options. Four bay. Olive, white, grey, black themes. 
* New 1.25 -> 1.875m mini gemini service module, designed with an inset socket to house an 1.25m ACD\decoupler and the Restock MK1 capsule. Five bay. Two colour variants, two interior variants. 
* New variants to most of the ACDs to match their corresponding shroud. Olive, tan, silver, black, grey, etc.
* New 1.5m cylindrical shroud, made to emulate the Vostok transfer stage\SM. Adjustable. Five bay, with toroidal tankage. Could include radiator modules. Olive, tan, silver, grey. Solar panels in the main bay doors.
* New rounded domes on the 0.625 adaptor shrouds, designed to appear when the bottom node is used.
* New Olive, white, grey, black skins on most existing shrouds. 0.625 adaptor shroud, 1.25m cylindrical, 2.5m cylindrical, 2.5m ACD. The 2.5m Olive and Tan variants are based off the Mir space station core body, and the Zvesta (ISS) core body. Both have modelled radiators.
* New solar panels built into large bay doors on most shrouds. 
* New single high advanced probe core
* New single high combo food and water bag, for early pioneering flights. Two variants.

Changelog (issues found, to be hotfixed)
-------------------------------------------

* Battery wedge is now set to basic science
* Localization fixes to part descriptions, missing fields, etc.
* 1.5m Bulkhead variant does not fill with fuel, and clashes with toroidal fuelswitching. 
* Some lag when switching solars on and off in the VAB. Be mindful and do this when the doors have finished deploying, and check that they're active and loaded in before launch. 

Tech tree rebalancing, misc fixes. Most of the shrouds were far too clumped up, and most electrics were far too late in the tech tree. Fuel cells are designed to be early alternatives before solar becomes affordable.

* Shuffled a few things around in the tech tree , the Russian parts were originally placed with the original ones when they should have been a bit earlier.
* Separated the cores and ACDs out to match the shrouds that fit them. Spread out the 1.25 & 2.5 sizes to a few nodes apart.
* Moved the Vostok SM to be closer to the starting point
* Moved the fuel cells to far earlier in the tree - at the placement they were, they had no window of usefulness when people could just grab solar.
* Found that the octocore had no tech tree node defined.
* Moved food and water to advanced exploration to match the larger manned processing lab, where long term crewed flight is expected.
* Moved combo food\water bag to survivability, to bring it closer to earlier flights.
* Moved battery to basic science
* Moved H2 and O2 parallel to the fuel cell tech node in space exploration

Edited by Daishi

10 hours ago, razmachaz_69 said:

The Octo core doesnt show up for me. Even on a clean install with only US2 latest beta and contained MM, its doesnt appear on the tech tree anywhere?

We found it was missing a tech tree node, that's been patched and a hotfix will be available soon :)

2 hours ago, moguy16 said:

wait the beta is released? finally!
will the new parts work with 1.8.1? 

They should do, you could chuck em in a fresh install and give em a test for us :)

3 hours ago, Daishi said:

They should do, you could chuck em in a fresh install and give em a test for us :)

Downloaded it a bit ago, can confirm the parts work in 1.8.1 @moguy16 :D
However, a few minor bug reports:

• 1.5m cylindrical shroud is labelled as another 1.25m shroud
  • Vostok-style shroud has the secondary-bay interactions available even when not in the radiators configuration (side note: how do those radiators work?)
  • Soyuz-style shroud has secondary-bay options, despite not having secondary bays

All together though, this is a really fantastic update! The two different 1.25m -> 1.5m shrouds are especially nice, as I can now play around with some 1.5m parts without needing to grab BDB or Tantares (which both seem like excellent part packs, don't get me wrong; I just prefer to make stuff unrelated to real history, and the parts in those seem a bit too specialized for me to work with ^^;), and the details on the new parts are all amazing!

3 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Downloaded it a bit ago, can confirm the parts work in 1.8.1 @moguy16 :D
However, a few minor bug reports:

• 1.5m cylindrical shroud is labelled as another 1.25m shroud
  • Vostok-style shroud has the secondary-bay interactions available even when not in the radiators configuration (side note: how do those radiators work?)
  • Soyuz-style shroud has secondary-bay options, despite not having secondary bays

All together though, this is a really fantastic update! The two different 1.25m -> 1.5m shrouds are especially nice, as I can now play around with some 1.5m parts without needing to grab BDB or Tantares (which both seem like excellent part packs, don't get me wrong; I just prefer to make stuff unrelated to real history, and the parts in those seem a bit too specialized for me to work with ^^;), and the details on the new parts are all amazing!

You really should try them.  They're both built with "lego-ability" in mind and there are lots of ahistorical parts included to make whacky rockets.  They go exceptionally well with US2.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:47 AM, Wyzard said:

That's been fixed, but to see the changes you might have to delete the moduleManager cache files

1.9.1 Beta 2 is now available on OneDrive (Link in my sig)

9 hours ago, Friznit said:

You really should try them.  They're both built with "lego-ability" in mind and there are lots of ahistorical parts included to make whacky rockets.  They go exceptionally well with US2.

7 hours ago, moguy16 said:

90% of my craft use BDB and tanteras, yet none of them are replicas, i use mainly use the engines and pods in a 2.5x rescale and kerbalisim, kind of like an easier RO

Ah, alrighty! I'll go ahead and check them out then!

Is it this mod that's responsible for Kerbalism compatibility, or is Kerbalism responsible for USII compatibility? I'm getting some weird interactions and I'm not sure which thread to report them on.

Edited by Alex33212

9 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

That's been fixed, but to see the changes you might have to delete the moduleManager cache files

Looks good now, and I didn't have to manually delete any MM caches.

Edit: …but I just noticed that in "Basic Science", the double probe core is showing #autoLOC tags.

Edited by Wyzard

51 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Looks good now, and I didn't have to manually delete any MM caches.

Edit: …but I just noticed that in "Basic Science", the double probe core is showing #autoLOC tags.

Science parts too? Found and fixed :)
Octocore was still missing so that's been patched again. 

3 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Is it this mod that's responsible for Kerbalism compatibility, or is Kerbalism responsible for USII compatibility? I'm getting some weird interactions and I'm not sure which thread to report them on.

What kind of issues? I guess if they're easy enough to fix and should be in our cfg files, it's on us :)

2 minutes ago, Daishi said:

What kind of issues? I guess if they're easy enough to fix and should be in our cfg files, it's on us :)

Well, there's two major ones:
Firstly, the new food/water/oxygen combo part doesn't have any water storage when using Kerbalism; I haven't tried it with any other life support mods though. Secondly, several of the science modules seem to interact weirdly with Kerbalism in regards to their animations; cover doors can't be toggled on/off on the science wedges that have them. Additionally, some of the deployment animations are either messed up or simply don't happen; the physical and atmospheric science wedges suffer from the latter, and the goo pod wedge has the former (the main goo pod is stuck in the extended position and the second one is missing from the model). This is limited to the base USII wedges though; the DMagic Orbital Science wedges animate fine.

8 minutes ago, Alex33212 said:

Well, there's two major ones:
Firstly, the new food/water/oxygen combo part doesn't have any water storage when using Kerbalism; I haven't tried it with any other life support mods though. Secondly, several of the science modules seem to interact weirdly with Kerbalism in regards to their animations; cover doors can't be toggled on/off on the science wedges that have them. Additionally, some of the deployment animations are either messed up or simply don't happen; the physical and atmospheric science wedges suffer from the latter, and the goo pod wedge has the former (the main goo pod is stuck in the extended position and the second one is missing from the model). This is limited to the base USII wedges though; the DMagic Orbital Science wedges animate fine.

The water one should be easy enough to fix, i'll have a look and see what Kerbalism is doing with the animations.