Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

19 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Looks good now!  Two quick followup things:

• The small probe core's reaction wheel is stronger on the pitch axis (0.25) than on yaw and roll (0.15).  (I don't know whether that's intentional.)
  • The double probe core's title and description are in English in it-it.cfg, de-de.cfg, and es-es.cfg.  (I noticed because the "conveniant" misspelling is still present in those copies of the string, but that doesn't really matter; the real fix is to translate the text.)

Prob just a slipup keying in the numbers, shouldn't cause too much of an issue. And yep the translation cfgs for the other languages are going to be out of date until people want to tackle them again :) 

14 hours ago, panarchist said:

@Daishi - Combination Lifesupport bag variant 2 displays correctly in the editor but not the flight scene:

..what a strange bug. I'll have a look!

2 hours ago, Aivech said:

The double height probe core in the latest versions available on CKAN is nonfunctional - it seems to simply not provide a valid control module.

CKAN currently hosts an out of date file, those bugs should be fixed in this upcoming release. We just want to stamp out the current bugs before we push it to the public properly :)

4 hours ago, Daishi said:

CKAN currently hosts an out of date file, those bugs should be fixed in this upcoming release. We just want to stamp out the current bugs before we push it to the public properly :)

Yay!

19 hours ago, panarchist said:

@Daishi - Combination Lifesupport bag variant 2 displays correctly in the editor but not the flight scene:

All fixed! The "ComboLifesupportWedge.mu" file in the Standalone Beta Five has been updated, redownload and overwrite that one and you should be set :) There's a bit of a weird delay with closing it but at least you can see it now lol

Edited by Daishi

2 minutes ago, Daishi said:

All fixed! The "ComboLifesupportWedge.mu" file in the Standalone Beta Five has been updated, redownload and overwrite that one and you should be set :) 

That really was a weird issue - what was the cause? It was almost like the front of the "pocket" was outside the rendering range or something.

1 minute ago, Aivech said:

Are the Beta versions mostly safe to use? I'm considering manually installing it.

Yes, but as always with KSP and betas, back up your save game first, to be safe.

7 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Yes, but as always with KSP and betas, back up your save game first, to be safe.

Thanks! Which beta folder should I be downloading?

Edited by Aivech

8 minutes ago, panarchist said:

That really was a weird issue - what was the cause? It was almost like the front of the "pocket" was outside the rendering range or something.

Yeah, the bag was duplicated from the same mesh as Variant 1 and totally identical, but just refused to render in the world. No idea what it was, maybe Unity can't handle two nested blendshapes on the same part? Ended up splitting the bag off separately and having it as a single consistent element, with the two mesh variants switching around it. 

9 minutes ago, Aivech said:

Are the Beta versions mostly safe to use? I'm considering manually installing it.

I think so! Please if you're not sure, try it on a fresh install of KSP first, or deorbit crafts with US2 parts in them before updating. I'd hate to break anyone's save games :(  This build here is what you'd want. https://1drv.ms/f/s!As-w_rlhH66Hl7QLCNdqc4h37igUJg

Edited by Daishi

1 minute ago, Daishi said:

Yeah, the bag was duplicated from the same mesh as Variant 1 and totally identical, but just refused to render in the world. No idea what it was, maybe Unity can't handle two nested blendshapes on the same part? Ended up splitting the bag off separately and having it as a single consistent element, with the two mesh variants switching around it. 

Nice work - and that's a level of Unity skill I definitely don't have yet. All the little tricky bits added with sliding pockets, opening subpanels, exposed hard drives and the like are amazing - I loved the mod when you guys released the first one, but the detail work on the current iteration of US2 is definitely a new level of work. And the new Roscosmos-inspired parts look incredible. I want to find more excuses to use them. :-D

5 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Nice work - and that's a level of Unity skill I definitely don't have yet. All the little tricky bits added with sliding pockets, opening subpanels, exposed hard drives and the like are amazing - I loved the mod when you guys released the first one, but the detail work on the current iteration of US2 is definitely a new level of work. And the new Roscosmos-inspired parts look incredible. I want to find more excuses to use them. :-D

Thanks so much! I do want to try and make the mod more useful outside service modules, especially when they're designed to fit against other mods that some people might not have installed. Might see if size profile adaptors or something will be easy to make going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Thanks so much! I do want to try and make the mod more useful outside service modules, especially when they're designed to fit against other mods that some people might not have installed. Might see if size profile adaptors or something will be easy to make going forward. 

To be frank, I am quite happy with what the mod provides right now (planning to do a manual install of the beta, can't wait for the new release .... ). If you guys can iron out all the small bugs and make US2 fully compatible with the life support mods that are out there - what more is there to ask for?  Profile adapters as in 1.25m - 2.5m adapter cones?

Cheers,

Wowa

On 4/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, majNUN said:

US batteries don't seem to have an electric charge out of the VAB in 1.9.1.

BQMA4ih.png

Also seeing this, using the latest beta build. Not sure if another mod could be messing with it as asked earlier, here's my mod list:

[x] Science! Continued (xScienceContinued 5.26)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.9.2)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.9.5)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit 5.0.0.0)
Community Delta-V Maps (CommunityDeltaVMaps v2.6.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.3.0.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.1)
Configurable Containers Core (ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.8.2)
Dated QuickSaves (DatedQuickSaves 1.2.4.3)
Docking Cam (DockingCamKURS 1.3.7.2)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.1)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.15)
Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes (HideEmptyTechNodes 1.1.2)
HullcamVDS Continued (HullcamVDSContinued 0.2.0)
IndicatorLights (IndicatorLights 1.6)
KEI (KEI 1.2.10.2)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.6)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.25)
Kerbal Research & Development (KRnD 1.16.0.7)
Kerbal Reusability Expansion (SpaceXLegs 2.8.5)
Konstruction (Konstruction 1.3.0.0)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.4.1.4)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.2.3)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.9.2.0)
Mk-X Spaceplane Parts (Mk-X 0.1.0)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.3.0)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.0)
Science - Full Reward! (Continued) (Science-Full-Reward v5.1)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.2.3)
Surface Mounted Lights (surfacelights 1.15)
TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.21.5.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
Tracking Station Evolved (TrackingStationEvolved 5.0)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.3.1)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.7.2.0)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.10.0.0)
Universal Storage II (UniversalStorage2 1.7.0.10)
USI Core (USI-Core 1.3.0.0)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 1.3.0.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 1.3.0.0)
USI Tools (USITools 1.3.0.0)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

One other small issue I just noticed (using the latest beta): USFoodWedge and USGreyWaterWedge have a negative dry cost when using USI-LS (where they hold Supplies and Fertilizer, respectively).  I haven't checked the costs with other LS mods.

The unitCost of Supplies is 2.5, and the unitCost of Fertilizer is 2.  The single-height tanks hold 125 units, so the cost of resources in the of full tanks are 312.5 and 250, respectively.  The "cost" attribute should be that plus the desired dry cost.  (I'm not sure how that relates to "tankCost" in the USFuelSwitch module, though ­— that currently has a value of zero for the single-height tank configuration.)

(On a separate note, the .cfg files have comments near the top that say what part name is defined in the file, but some of them are incorrect — e.g. SolidWasteWedge.cfg says "// name = USFoodWedge", and GreyWaterWedge.cfg says "// name = USWaterWedge".  Doesn't actually hurt anything, though, since they're just comments.)

Just wondering before I try and figure out how to make the betas work, will the patches and all be uploaded to CKAN any time soon, or am I better off figuring out the patches? Playing in 1.8.1, I've tried installing the latest beta build from the OneDrive, but it breaks one of my existing stations using the medium ACD. I would like to be able to use the probe core, but am having issues, read before that it was due to unupdated files on CKAN. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

Following up on the negative-cost thing, I tried Snacks instead of USI-LS, and found some bigger bugs with that.  SolidWasteWedge.cfg has configuration for the Snacks mod (storing Soil), however:

• SnacksUtils is missing from the the :NEEDS at the top of the file, so the part doesn't actually get loaded at all when using Snacks.
  • The Snacks-specific @PART block farther down accidentally patches USRadialTanks instead of USSolidWasteWedge.
  • Only the single-height configuration actually holds any resources; the other three are useless.  (That happens because the @resourceAmounts and @initialResourceAmounts lines have the values separated by commas instead of semicolons.)

The third bug above is present in the blocks for all the LS mods, not just Snacks.

After fixing those bugs in my copy, USSolidWasteWedge seems OK.  But USFoodWedge has a negative dry cost with Snacks.

6 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Following up on the negative-cost thing, I tried Snacks instead of USI-LS, and found some bigger bugs with that.  SolidWasteWedge.cfg has configuration for the Snacks mod (storing Soil), however:

• SnacksUtils is missing from the the :NEEDS at the top of the file, so the part doesn't actually get loaded at all when using Snacks.
  • The Snacks-specific @PART block farther down accidentally patches USRadialTanks instead of USSolidWasteWedge.
  • Only the single-height configuration actually holds any resources; the other three are useless.  (That happens because the @resourceAmounts and @initialResourceAmounts lines have the values separated by commas instead of semicolons.)

The third bug above is present in the blocks for all the LS mods, not just Snacks.

After fixing those bugs in my copy, USSolidWasteWedge seems OK.  But USFoodWedge has a negative dry cost with Snacks.

Apologies for the off-topic, but I keep being amazed by your posts. They’re constantly clear, researched, and to the point, without being snarky. 

That is all. o7

Edited by Jognt

One more bug (or at least, I think it's a bug): the probe-core wedges (both single and double) can't be attached to the service cores "in the field" using KIS.  The service cores each have a ModuleKISPartMount with a list of allowedPartName for things that can be plugged in by kerbals, and USSingleProbeCore and USDoubleProbeCore are missing from the list.  (Other parts might be missing too; I haven't gone through all the wedges to check them all.)

(Even an engineer with a KIS screwdriver can't install a probe-core wedge in a service core: the ModuleKISPartMount turns the attachment nodes into specialized mounting points subject to allowedPartName rules, instead of general-purpose attachment nodes that can accept anything.)

Edit: Adding allowedPartName lines for the probe cores lets kerbals attach them with KIS, but they still can't be detached without a wrench or screwdriver.  That part comes from something in the ModuleKISItem on the wedges themselves, but both probe-core wedges lack that module entirely.  (It's less clear now whether this is a bug, or an intentional limitation.)

Edited by Wyzard

Hi folks, I'm wondering if ya'll can help me confirm the best way to install this on a fresh KSP 1.8.1 game. I really would like to use the new Pioneer update for US II, since I'm going parts heavy with BDB + Tantares. The notes about what this will include are intoxicating! :confused:

So first off, which of the beta releases would be most appropriate for a 1.8.1 KSP install?

6CMd3Ht.png

Next, regarding the Standalone Hotfix #5, does that need to be installed only on the latest beta release? For example, if only the latest beta release should be installed with 1.9.1 and then Hotfix 5 only goes with the latest release, do I need to worry about the hotfix?

Sorry if this is being dense. I'm just really trying to get an optimal 1.8.1 install and being very careful about what I install at the outset.

Appreciate all your help!

24 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Hi folks, I'm wondering if ya'll can help me confirm the best way to install this on a fresh KSP 1.8.1 game. I really would like to use the new Pioneer update for US II, since I'm going parts heavy with BDB + Tantares. The notes about what this will include are intoxicating! :confused:

So first off, which of the beta releases would be most appropriate for a 1.8.1 KSP install?

6CMd3Ht.png

Next, regarding the Standalone Hotfix #5, does that need to be installed only on the latest beta release? For example, if only the latest beta release should be installed with 1.9.1 and then Hotfix 5 only goes with the latest release, do I need to worry about the hotfix?

Sorry if this is being dense. I'm just really trying to get an optimal 1.8.1 install and being very careful about what I install at the outset.

Appreciate all your help!

Just get the latest standalone beta 5 and you done

https://1drv.ms/f/s!As-w_rlhH66Hl7QLCNdqc4h37igUJg

It's quite fun to find ways to use these new parts outside their "intended" use :D

Spoiler

Munar transfer stage carrying a trio of comsats, using the Vostok-style piece as a tank-engine adapter (as well as holding monopropellant, electricity, and control core):

yeay3G3.png