Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you get me info I would need to get the new L-Tech mod which I've adopted to work with this?

Sure Linux, what kind of info? Are you aiming to augment the science parts? 

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

More like making the tanks in the mod be able to hold the resources in L-Tech

I'll get a few models made for the next update :)

On 8/13/2020 at 8:36 PM, GoldForest said:

@Daishi I do notice that the icons in the parts menu glitch out sometimes. Not sure what causes this. 

Basically, all the models show up at once inside the part icon.

Yeah that's weird, been an issue for a while. I'm not sure we have a way to fix it :\

Really fantastic mod. The Vostok/Soyuz/etc parts in particular are brilliant.

Just some thoughts re balancing. Have been playing around designing Vostok-style craft, and I'm finding it very hard to find a use for the Bulkhead version of the 1.5m Cylindrical fairing. I think the issue is that it has a 3t (!!!) dry mass (compared to 0.09t for the Quad version). This means you get better Delta-V (and the same, or even a shorter size) even with just an empty fairing with the Toroidal tank than using the Bulkhead. If you use a Triple size fairing, filled with liquid fuel tanks, you still get a craft of the same height, but with far more fuel and far lower weight. As far as I can see, currently there's really no advantage in using the Bulkhead versoin (other than getting the exact visual look of a historical Vostok - but you can achieve that with the Quadruple version and a bit of clipping) and huge drawbacks.

Then just one other thing to note. Parts like the 1.5m Cylindrical Fairing or the Vostok Fairing which have two separate options for fuel tanks (as in fuel tank options in the Toroidal Tankage choice and the Current Variant choice), they only seem to add the fuel from one of the two, while still adding the dry mass from both. Which can make it a bit confusing and very easy for an unsuspecting player to accidentally saddle themselves with some extra weight for no benefit. I don't know if this is a stock issue with the interface that can't be resolved better, but I figured it was worth flagging up.

3 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Really fantastic mod. The Vostok/Soyuz/etc parts in particular are brilliant.

Just some thoughts re balancing. Have been playing around designing Vostok-style craft, and I'm finding it very hard to find a use for the Bulkhead version of the 1.5m Cylindrical fairing. I think the issue is that it has a 3t (!!!) dry mass (compared to 0.09t for the Quad version). This means you get better Delta-V (and the same, or even a shorter size) even with just an empty fairing with the Toroidal tank than using the Bulkhead. If you use a Triple size fairing, filled with liquid fuel tanks, you still get a craft of the same height, but with far more fuel and far lower weight. As far as I can see, currently there's really no advantage in using the Bulkhead versoin (other than getting the exact visual look of a historical Vostok - but you can achieve that with the Quadruple version and a bit of clipping) and huge drawbacks.

Then just one other thing to note. Parts like the 1.5m Cylindrical Fairing or the Vostok Fairing which have two separate options for fuel tanks (as in fuel tank options in the Toroidal Tankage choice and the Current Variant choice), they only seem to add the fuel from one of the two, while still adding the dry mass from both. Which can make it a bit confusing and very easy for an unsuspecting player to accidentally saddle themselves with some extra weight for no benefit. I don't know if this is a stock issue with the interface that can't be resolved better, but I figured it was worth flagging up.

The multiple-fuel-tanks issue is a known one, and iirc DMagic's the only person involved who can fix the bug, so it's waiting on them coming back from a break.

The new vostok/soyuz parts are fantastic, as is the solar panel toggle.

My only gripe is with the fuel tanks dry mass which is way too high. This is an issue with the toroidal tanks and 5/6/8 core tanks both.

I would suggest setting it in line with the regular tanks dry masses.

On 8/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, Muetdhiver said:

The new vostok/soyuz parts are fantastic, as is the solar panel toggle.

My only gripe is with the fuel tanks dry mass which is way too high. This is an issue with the toroidal tanks and 5/6/8 core tanks both.

I would suggest setting it in line with the regular tanks dry masses.

I'll give that a look, cheers.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:32 AM, baldamundo said:

What engine is the Soyuz service module intended to be used with?

I think a spark engine works well :)

Not sure if only related to 1.10.1, but on the last Beta, control decoupler "ACD" don't decouple at all

(Only the ACD Medium work because he use a custom decouple module labeled correctly)

so from what i've see
Config for decoupler tag "top" node when nodes are labeled on config and model with "InnerNode" "OuterNode"

using the tag "InnerNode" fix them

Using the latest beta (1.9.1.12 B2) on 1.10.1 and it seems several of the localization strings are broken, at least for the English-language configs; the name & description of several parts read #autoLoc_US_<stuff> rather than their proper contents.

The parts I've found are:

• 0.625m conical shroud
  • 1.5m to 1.25m conical shroud
  • 1.875m to 1.5m conical shroud
  • Single and double-height probe cores
  • All non-DMagic Orbital Science science wedges
  • The Breaking Ground-related cargo wedge

There may be more that don't show up without other mods installed that I'm not seeing.

Edited by Starseeker
Moved issue to Bitbucket issue tracker

On 8/14/2020 at 3:28 PM, Daishi said:

I'll get a few models made for the next update :)

Yeah that's weird, been an issue for a while. I'm not sure we have a way to fix it :\

Anecdotal: I noticed last year when I was troubleshooting another problem by removing mods from GameData that the ‘all models show at once’ problem was gone after removing one half of my GameData. (Keeping dependencies present best I could)

I never found out what caused my other problem and quit playing for a while, so unfortunately I never dug further with regards to the model thing, but maybe this can help those currently affected. 

Edited by Jognt

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:57 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Someone did the RF configs for US1 for us and we added it in.  Same story with Community Tech Tree and Modular Fuel tanks.

I'd love to get more compatibility patches in UvSii, but a combination of limited available time and not being a user of some of the mods means it's probably best left to other people.  I'm very happy to include them in the mod, with appropriate credit of course!

I am trying to write RF configs for USII. I am not a developer and I am still learning MM. I started simple with this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[SpaceBoriResources]
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]:HAS[#resourceNames[MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant],!resourceNames[Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine]]
	{
		+resourceNames = Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine
		-resourceNames = MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant
	}
}

And I expected the monopropellant in the Monopropellant Tank (HydrazineWedge.cfg) to be replaced by Hydrazine. It however got replaced by Electric Charge instead (30 for single, 60 for double and no resources for triple and quad).

Can you give me a clue where to look for a solution please?

48 minutes ago, boribori said:

I am trying to write RF configs for USII. I am not a developer and I am still learning MM. I started simple with this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[SpaceBoriResources]
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]:HAS[#resourceNames[MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant],!resourceNames[Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine]]
	{
		+resourceNames = Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine
		-resourceNames = MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant
	}
}

And I expected the monopropellant in the Monopropellant Tank (HydrazineWedge.cfg) to be replaced by Hydrazine. It however got replaced by Electric Charge instead (30 for single, 60 for double and no resources for triple and quad).

Can you give me a clue where to look for a solution please?

@boribori, Given that you are only changing one part, I would just be specific to which part you want to alter.

Spoiler

@PART[USHydrazineWedge]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[SpaceBoriResources]
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine // This replaces the names
	}
}

You can do the same thing for the resource amounts if 1 Hydrazine does not equal 1 MonoPropellant.

Edit: In case this doesn't do anything, try changing FOR[SpaceBoriResources] to AFTER[UniversalStorage2]

Edited by hemeac

@hemeac eventually I want to change all parts. I initially started with a config that searched for Liquidfuel, Oxidizer and Monopropellant and changed them all. When that didn't work I decided to start simple. But I'll try your suggestion first, and if that works I'll build on that. Thanks.

1 minute ago, boribori said:

@hemeac eventually I want to change all parts. I initially started with a config that searched for Liquidfuel, Oxidizer and Monopropellant and changed them all. When that didn't work I decided to start simple. But I'll try your suggestion first, and if that works I'll build on that. Thanks.

If you are looking to generalize, one option may be to try some regular expressions.  I am just learning about them in the context of MM patching, but you could try this as an alternative and this may help you.  I think this may not work well from a gameplay balancing point of view if the Real Fuels equivalent has different densities.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:AFTER[UniversalStorager2]
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames ^= :Hydrazine:MonoPropellant: // This should change any instance of Hydrazine for MonoPropellant in any part that has a USFuelSwitch
	}
}

1 minute ago, hemeac said:

If you are looking to generalize, one option may be to try some regular expressions.  I am just learning about them in the context of MM patching, but you could try this as an alternative and this may help you.  I think this may not work well from a gameplay balancing point of view if the Real Fuels equivalent has different densities.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:AFTER[UniversalStorager2]
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames ^= :Hydrazine:MonoPropellant: // This should change any instance of Hydrazine for MonoPropellant in any part that has a USFuelSwitch
	}
}

I think that is what I was looking for, thanks! My next step would be to then change the amounts to match RF. I hoped I could just use some generic multiplier, but if that would be very difficult to combine with regular expressions I might be better off using your first suggestion. That worked btw! I just don't understand why my approach changed it into electric charge.

7 hours ago, boribori said:

I think that is what I was looking for, thanks! My next step would be to then change the amounts to match RF. I hoped I could just use some generic multiplier, but if that would be very difficult to combine with regular expressions I might be better off using your first suggestion. That worked btw! I just don't understand why my approach changed it into electric charge.

Glad it worked.  I believe the issue was in the syntax and the ordering.  If you want to add a new variable that doesn't exist (abc), you can just write abc = value. If you want to add it, but it might exist, you would write %abc = value.  If you know it exists and want to change the value, @abc = value. Lastly if you want to remove abc, you would do !abc = value or -abc = value. Here's the best reference I have found: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Syntax

Seeing as a few modules (barely) fit inside the 0.625m bay, are there plans to add mounting nodes? If not, I would like to at least request options to extend it up to quad size as with other service bays.

Spoiler

Totally not because I'm planning on stuffing Kerbonauts in there for ultra-cheap crew launches.

So, after poking around in the localization & part-config files, I found the root causes of issue #56 on the issue tracker (https://bitbucket.org/uvs2/universalstorage2/issues/56/bug-broken-localization-on-some-parts). The affected shrouds all have "adapter" in the localization tags in the part config, but "adaptor" in the localization file. The other parts all have the # missing from the beginning of the tag in the localization file.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:55 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I'm astonished that i haven't seen this earlier. Does it support Tweakscale? Or nah?

Not sure, but if it did it'd be through somebody else's patch. Could ask around on their thread :)

On 9/21/2020 at 8:17 PM, Angstinator said:

Seeing as a few modules (barely) fit inside the 0.625m bay, are there plans to add mounting nodes? If not, I would like to at least request options to extend it up to quad size as with other service bays.

Reveal hidden contents

Totally not because I'm planning on stuffing Kerbonauts in there for ultra-cheap crew launches.

I could put a node in there for ya, not sure about extending it out with size options sorry.

14 hours ago, Starseeker said:

So, after poking around in the localization & part-config files, I found the root causes of issue #56 on the issue tracker (https://bitbucket.org/uvs2/universalstorage2/issues/56/bug-broken-localization-on-some-parts). The affected shrouds all have "adapter" in the localization tags in the part config, but "adaptor" in the localization file. The other parts all have the # missing from the beginning of the tag in the localization file.

Argh i thought i fixed those. I'll have another look. Cheers for having a look Star :D

Back to it again. Getting the subsats all rigged :)

On 9/26/2020 at 7:00 AM, Daishi said:

Argh i thought i fixed those. I'll have another look. Cheers for having a look Star :D

No problem!

On 9/26/2020 at 7:00 AM, Daishi said:

Back to it again. Getting the subsats all rigged :)

Ooooo, what's this?? Looks really cool!