Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

10 hours ago, Starseeker said:

Ooooo, what's this?? Looks really cool!

One of a few new parts, the basic wedge-housed subsatellite (styled a bit off sputnik, or a fallout eyebot). There's an advanced one too, kinda to match the real life one they ejected from the CSM on Apollo 15 and 16. Ideally you'd launch them in orbit around a moon\planet while you're in the SOI, and they return new science experiment data until the batteries run out :)

27 minutes ago, Daishi said:

One of a few new parts, the basic wedge-housed subsatellite (styled a bit off sputnik, or a fallout eyebot). There's an advanced one too, kinda to match the real life one they ejected from the CSM on Apollo 15 and 16. Ideally you'd launch them in orbit around a moon\planet while you're in the SOI, and they return new science experiment data until the batteries run out :)

I definitely see the fallout eyebot influence :cool:

Hey - firstly fantastic mod - I couldn't imagine playing without it in any life support game, both increases and decreases the need for head canoning - perfect!

A quick question though, when doing resupply missions and transferring fertilizer/supplies from a KIS container to a USII wedge bay is there a way to transfer them across as 4 height wedges rather than individuals? No worries if not - it just means 8 click drags rather than 32. I haven't tried transferring from one USII part to another not using KIS so maybe that's what I need to do?

So I made the rookie mistake of using [x] Science! Continued to run the materials study in the Universal Storage: Advanced Material Bay.   I'm now headed towards Duna on a 3 year round trip with a bugged out experiment I can't use.

Is there any way to reset this so I don't get the "Science Module Full" error?  Am I really going to have to relaunch everything?  

8 hours ago, GoldenHornet said:

So I made the rookie mistake of using [x] Science! Continued to run the materials study in the Universal Storage: Advanced Material Bay.   I'm now headed towards Duna on a 3 year round trip with a bugged out experiment I can't use.

Is there any way to reset this so I don't get the "Science Module Full" error?  Am I really going to have to relaunch everything?  

The save file is a text file. Research what needs to be deleted a and you can do it what a text editor. Or look for a ksp save editor, I found one a long time ago don't know if it's maintened  or wear I found it

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of errors in config files I’ve noticed (for the 1.9.1 beta, if it makes a difference):

• Control/ACDMedium.cfg: missing a closing brace for ModuleTestSubject.
  • Electrical/GuidanceComputer.cfg: has a “//-” instead of “/-” on line 147; basically acts like a missing closing brace.
  • Lifesupport/WaterWedge.cfg: Two EXTRA closing braces after the TAC Life Support section.
  • Processors/WaterPurifier.cfg: Missing closing brace after the USI Life Support section.
  • Radials/RadialTanks.cfg: “/0/category” instead of “//category” under Kerbalism section; also, “techRequired” and “cost” aren’t commented out (shouldn’t break anything AFAICT, but should still be fixed). Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to fix the “VariantColors” to “@VariantColors” in the edits, either.

Might have more later; I can’t figure out why the “#autoLOC_*” tags are still showing up, even though I have patches to replace titles and definitions (among other things, e.g. “1.25m” instead of “1.25 m” drives me absolutely insane). I saw that’s a known bug, but my patches should be overwriting that, and I’ll have to see if it was one of these issues or if there’s still something I’m not seeing.

hey, quick q! is there a 1.875m fairing? I have unlocked the 1.875m core but I don't see a matching fairing. so wanted to check if the issue's on my end. thanks.

EDIT: looking in the Universal Storage/Parts/Shrouds folder, I don't see a 1.875m shroud .cfg file, so looks like there isn't one. This confused me because the mod description says there is?

Edited by dresoccer4

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

hey, quick q! is there a 1.875m fairing? I have unlocked the 1.875m core but I don't see a matching fairing. so wanted to check if the issue's on my end. thanks.

EDIT: looking in the Universal Storage/Parts/Shrouds folder, I don't see a 1.875m shroud .cfg file, so looks like there isn't one. This confused me because the mod description says there is?

There's a 2.5m->1.875m conical fairing, a 1.875m->1.5m conical fairing, and a 1.875m->1.25m conical fairing, but not yet any 1.875m cylindrical fairing. It's a planned feature, though!

On 10/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, grylliade said:

Might have more later; I can’t figure out why the “#autoLOC_*” tags are still showing up, even though I have patches to replace titles and definitions (among other things, e.g. “1.25m” instead of “1.25 m” drives me absolutely insane). I saw that’s a known bug, but my patches should be overwriting that, and I’ll have to see if it was one of these issues or if there’s still something I’m not seeing.

This might help:

On 9/25/2020 at 4:45 PM, Starseeker said:

So, after poking around in the localization & part-config files, I found the root causes of issue #56 on the issue tracker (https://bitbucket.org/uvs2/universalstorage2/issues/56/bug-broken-localization-on-some-parts). The affected shrouds all have "adapter" in the localization tags in the part config, but "adaptor" in the localization file. The other parts all have the # missing from the beginning of the tag in the localization file.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, Starseeker said:

This might help:

On 9/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, Starseeker said:

So, after poking around in the localization & part-config files, I found the root causes of issue #56 on the issue tracker (https://bitbucket.org/uvs2/universalstorage2/issues/56/bug-broken-localization-on-some-parts). The affected shrouds all have "adapter" in the localization tags in the part config, but "adaptor" in the localization file. The other parts all have the # missing from the beginning of the tag in the localization file

Thanks! I’d seen that, and I was pretty sure it wasn’t the problem. Turns out that, while editing my patch file to correct the errors I’d found, I’d deleted a bracket at the end of one of the fuel cell configs, so none of my edits were applied from that point on. After I replaced it, everything was back to normal. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to put Universal Storage parts in my custom tech tree, but I can't seem to find the correct name for the eight-bay core. The file "US_Octo.cfg" lists the part name as "USOctocore", but using this name for the tech tree patch has no result. It is definitely typed correctly and so is the name of the tech node and all of the patch syntax, and I've managed to put other Universal Storage parts into the same exact tech node (as well as my other service module nodes), but for some reason this one doesn't work. The only obvious possibility is that there might be a discrepancy with the part name.

Edited by septemberWaves

57 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

quick q: is there a universal storage folding solar panel module? it's the last thing i need to complete my ship and thought it'd be a very handy addition. 

No, not specifically a USII module.  One can make the equivalent with other parts but nothing that fits the US cores...at least not yet.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

No, not specifically a USII module.  One can make the equivalent with other parts but nothing that fits the US cores...at least not yet.

oh ok thanks for the info. yeah it seems like that'd be a great addition to the collection in the future! 

how would you go about making one with other parts? not following exactly what you mean...

On 11/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, septemberWaves said:

I'm trying to put Universal Storage parts in my custom tech tree, but I can't seem to find the correct name for the eight-bay core. The file "US_Octo.cfg" lists the part name as "USOctocore", but using this name for the tech tree patch has no result. It is definitely typed correctly and so is the name of the tech node and all of the patch syntax, and I've managed to put other Universal Storage parts into the same exact tech node (as well as my other service module nodes), but for some reason this one doesn't work. The only obvious possibility is that there might be a discrepancy with the part name.

I have not had any issues with the USOctocore when moving it to a different node in my tree.  Have you checked the logs to see if another mod is patching the USOctocore after your patch?

6 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

how would you go about making one with other parts? not following exactly what you mean...

I use non-USII parts, such as a service bay, into which I anchor a girder segment, hub or strut (e.g. the Modular Girder Hub), and then attach solar panels (e.g. the OKEB-4R) so that it fits with the doors closed.  I tie the container door "open" and solar panel "extend" actions to an action group.  I also put batteries and experiments in the container where space allows - sort of a science/support systems bay.  Sometimes I put the SP on a telescoping hydraulic cylinder (e.g. the 1P2) to extend the SP beyond the service bay doors.

These suggestions depend on your mod list.  YMMV.

It's a bit of a kludge and definitely not as nice as a USII core and dedicated SP module, but until a SP makes it into the USII collection, this is what I do.  Something like this.

7QDbKz2.jpg

12 hours ago, hemeac said:

I have not had any issues with the USOctocore when moving it to a different node in my tree.  Have you checked the logs to see if another mod is patching the USOctocore after your patch?

FAR is the only other thing that is patching it as far as I can tell. It looks to be doing something to the aerodynamic properties of the part (unsurprisingly); nothing that seems like it should interfere with the tech tree. Removing FAR didn't actually do anything.

An alternative possibility is that it may be being patched into the default node (where I'm putting every part that I haven't specifically configured) after being patched into the service modules node. This hasn't happened with any other part, but I may have to experiment with changing some file structures.

EDIT: My patches are ordered correctly, and are shown being applied in the correct order in the log file, so that possibility seems unlikely.

Edited by septemberWaves

On 9/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, boribori said:

@hemeac eventually I want to change all parts. I initially started with a config that searched for Liquidfuel, Oxidizer and Monopropellant and changed them all. When that didn't work I decided to start simple. But I'll try your suggestion first, and if that works I'll build on that. Thanks.

I know it's been 2 months since this specific post, but is there any progress, or at least some pointers to be able to patch US2 parts to work Real Fuels? 

I've poked around and I think it could be done by making a patch somewhere to add the Real Fuels ModuleFuelTanks module, but I'm not sure how that'll fare with switching the part lengths. Maybe instead of using the Real Fuels module add/replace it to the USFuelSwitch module?

13 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

I know it's been 2 months since this specific post, but is there any progress, or at least some pointers to be able to patch US2 parts to work Real Fuels? 

I've poked around and I think it could be done by making a patch somewhere to add the Real Fuels ModuleFuelTanks module, but I'm not sure how that'll fare with switching the part lengths. Maybe instead of using the Real Fuels module add/replace it to the USFuelSwitch module?

AFAIK it is not possible to combine the different fuel modules on one part. And switching out the USFS module for the RF module proved to complicated for me since the fuel types and amounts all seem to be tied to US Mesh Switch. This is a job for someone more patient than me.
I made some simple patches to change LFO and monoprop to Kerosene, LqdOxygen and Hydrazine though: https://github.com/codebori/RealSolarFiction/blob/master/GameData/RSF/RSF_Compatibility/RSF_USII.cfg It's far from perfect or complete but it is playable I think.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:27 AM, boribori said:

AFAIK it is not possible to combine the different fuel modules on one part. And switching out the USFS module for the RF module proved to complicated for me since the fuel types and amounts all seem to be tied to US Mesh Switch. This is a job for someone more patient than me.
I made some simple patches to change LFO and monoprop to Kerosene, LqdOxygen and Hydrazine though: https://github.com/codebori/RealSolarFiction/blob/master/GameData/RSF/RSF_Compatibility/RSF_USII.cfg It's far from perfect or complete but it is playable I think.

Looking at the structure of the USFuelSwitch module makes me think it could be possible to have multiple different resources per module, separating the lengths by semicolons and resources by pipe characters.

So:

@PART[USHydrazineWedge]:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
	@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		// new is monoprop
		@resourceNames = Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine;Hydrazine|MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant
		@resourceAmounts = 60;120;180;240|30;60;90;120
		@initialResourceAmounts = 60;120;180;240|30;60;90;120
	}
}
// based on the shroud config

Though I haven't the time yet to test it.

Hi all.

Universal storage was always one of my go to mods. I havent played for a few years, and am getting set up again for another playthrough.

Does anyone know if this mod works with the latest version of KSP?

Sorry to have to ask, I tried going back through previous pages but could not find the answer.

Many thanks.

9 hours ago, Remi said:

Hi all.

Universal storage was always one of my go to mods. I havent played for a few years, and am getting set up again for another playthrough.

Does anyone know if this mod works with the latest version of KSP?

Sorry to have to ask, I tried going back through previous pages but could not find the answer.

Many thanks.

It 100% works with 1.10.1

Noticed another bug while looking at the probe cores: the single-height core has some of the data for the double-height core, e.g., the mass, cost, possibly the required tech, and the SAS and ReactionWheel modules. Might be other stuff as well; those are the ones that jumped out at me. I thought it might be a mistake somewhere else, but the double-height core has gyro transforms but no ModuleReactionWheel, and the single core vice versa.

Sorry for the bump, it's apparently just a shallow glitch, it updates correctly the moment i bring to the launchpad.

Is anyone familiar with any specific mods that tends to conflict with US?

Switching between heights or payloads tends to just add more containers, and i don't have a great guess as to what could be the cause of it.

nKcEmOV.png

Edited by lekkimsm2500