Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which one, there are two?  And are you in career or sandbox mode?  For both of them , the techRequired is advConstruction

It was a joke I used to pull Daishi's leg on for like 2 years. :D 

16 hours ago, Starseeker said:

Sorry to bug ya about this, but I can't seem to find the "Micro-Dawn Electric Drive" mentioned in the release notes in the parts list. I poked around in the mod files to double-check, and there doesn't seem to be any engine part added by USII?

I was actually about to post this myself. I suspected I was being colossally stupid and missing something obvious, but it's a little comforting that I'm not alone

I searched in game, looked through manually. I checked parts lists with Cornucopia, then did a search for 'dawn' inside the Universal Storage folder, and got nothing in any of those attempts. It seems like it might not be in the files?

Also missing the Micro-Dawn. I see the MicroDawn.cfg config and it looks ok to my inexperienced eye. There is no miniIonEngine listed under Database/Parts in debug console. It looks like MM does pick it up, as MMPatch.log says:

[LOG 14:31:44.128] Applying copy UniversalStorage2/Patches/MicroDawn/+PART[ionEngine] to Squad/Parts/Engine/ionEngine/ionEngine.cfg/PART[ionEngine]

I've also spotted that ReStock (which I have installed) does a lot of things to ionEngine. So tested without ReStock, and Micro-Dawn is there. Which means, that if you edit first line of  GameData\UniversalStorage2\Patches\MicroDawn.cfg to read

+PART[ionEngine]:After[ReStock]

then you will have Micro Dawn. However, my understanding of MM syntax is that with this patch if you DON'T have Restock, you won't get the engine. So no idea how to express "if you have ReStock, apply this patch after Restock". The only solution I can think of is to copy-paste the whole block, and have one with :NEEDS[ReStock]:After[ReStock], the other with :NEEDS[!ReStock]. Seems ugly though, which is why I haven't done a github patch.  If it's rubbish, it won't get merged, if it's ok, I saved you some typing: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/pull/1

Anyway, @linuxgurugamerhope this helps solving.

Edited by Yaar Podshipnik
Add link to pull request.

2 hours ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

Also missing the Micro-Dawn. I see the MicroDawn.cfg config and it looks ok to my inexperienced eye. There is no miniIonEngine listed under Database/Parts in debug console. It looks like MM does pick it up, as MMPatch.log says:

[LOG 14:31:44.128] Applying copy UniversalStorage2/Patches/MicroDawn/+PART[ionEngine] to Squad/Parts/Engine/ionEngine/ionEngine.cfg/PART[ionEngine]

I've also spotted that ReStock (which I have installed) does a lot of things to ionEngine. So tested without ReStock, and Micro-Dawn is there. Which means, that if you edit first line of  GameData\UniversalStorage2\Patches\MicroDawn.cfg to read

+PART[ionEngine]:After[ReStock]

then you will have Micro Dawn. However, my understanding of MM syntax is that with this patch if you DON'T have Restock, you won't get the engine. So no idea how to express "if you have ReStock, apply this patch after Restock". The only solution I can think of is to copy-paste the whole block, and have one with :NEEDS[ReStock]:After[ReStock], the other with :NEEDS[!ReStock]. Seems ugly though, which is why I haven't done a github patch.  If it's rubbish, it won't get merged, if it's ok, I saved you some typing: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/pull/1

Anyway, @linuxgurugamerhope this helps solving.

Definitely helps, thanks.  Try :FINAL, should work for both.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, Starseeker said:

Sorry to bug ya about this, but I can't seem to find the "Micro-Dawn Electric Drive" mentioned in the release notes in the parts list. I poked around in the mod files to double-check, and there doesn't seem to be any engine part added by USII?

Are you running ReStock?

On 1/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, myste_rae said:

I was actually about to post this myself. I suspected I was being colossally stupid and missing something obvious, but it's a little comforting that I'm not alone

I searched in game, looked through manually. I checked parts lists with Cornucopia, then did a search for 'dawn' inside the Universal Storage folder, and got nothing in any of those attempts. It seems like it might not be in the files?

Are you running ReStock?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

To fix the missing Microdawn until the next release, replace the file UniversalStorage2/Patches/Microdawn.cfg with this (only first line is changed):

+PART[ionEngine]:FINAL
{
    @name = miniIonEngine

@rescaleFactor  = 0.25

@title = IX-631 Micro "Dawn" Electric Propulsion System
    @description = A tiny version of the Dawn engine, used for tiny probes

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
        // Doubles the thrust of the copied engine.
        @maxThrust /= 8
        @PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
        {
            @ratio /= 32
        }
        @PROPELLANT[XenonGas]
        {
            @ratio /= 8
        }
    }
    -EFFECTS {}
    EFFECTS
	{		
		IonPlume
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_IonEngine
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.05 0.20
				volume = 1.0 0.25
				pitch = 0.0 0.2
				pitch = 1.0 0.8
				loop = true
			}
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = Squad/FX/IonPlume
				transformName = thrustTransform
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.25 0.5			
				//emission = 1.0 1.0
				//speed = 0.0 0.0
				//speed = 1.0 1.0
				localPosition = 0, 0, 0.03
			}
		}
	}

}

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

To fix the missing Microdawn until the next release, replace the file UniversalStorage2/Patches/Microdawn.cfg with this (only first line is changed):

Can confirm this works! Thanks a bunch

Just a heads up, I also use Filter Extensions, and the Micro Dawn shows up under Squad, rather than Universal Storage. I'm not sure if that's an oversight or a limitation based on the fact it's a rescaled Dawn, but I thought I'd let you know :)

EDIT: ...oh and it has the same mass, dry mass,  volume, etc

Edited by myste_rae

5 hours ago, myste_rae said:

Just a heads up, I also use Filter Extensions, and the Micro Dawn shows up under Squad, rather than Universal Storage. I'm not sure if that's an oversight or a limitation based on the fact it's a rescaled Dawn, but I thought I'd let you know :)

It's a limitation of the fact that the part is a clone of an existing stock part.  Nothing I can do about that, unless I get an entirely new part

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's a limitation of the fact that the part is a clone of an existing stock part.  Nothing I can do about that, unless I get an entirely new part

Gotcha, figured as much! Got no problem with that, just thought I'd bring it up. I look forward to playing with it, thanks for all the amazing work you do :D

4 hours ago, myste_rae said:

Gotcha, figured as much! Got no problem with that, just thought I'd bring it up. I look forward to playing with it, thanks for all the amazing work you do :D

The part is a stopgap anyway.  @Daisai is working on an integrated motor (or two, depending on the tech level)

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

These steps will lead to a flood of nullrefs:

1. place a wedge
  2. add Advanced Sub-Satellite from science category
  3. use PAW to extend antenna
  4. use PAW to retract antenna

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NzqNIS0Y8wM_6UB_ONWHbKi-AU2sCsjG?usp=sharing

Are you extending the antenna while it's still attached?  And was this in the editor or in flight?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

There are still some interactions going on between some of the Sub-Sat's PAW items. Here are steps to show an example:

1. start new vehicle in VAB, place wedge center and then attach Advanced Sub-Sat
  2. Using PAW, click Extend Radiator
  3. Notice there are no Extend or Retract Radiator items now
  4. Pick Deploy Primary Bays, followed by Retract Primary Bays
  5. Now Retract Radiator returns
  6. Click Retract Radiator and nullref flood

In the flight scene this same part will show similar behavior, without the nullrefs. In general the PAW items seem to be pretty confused with each other, meaning that the Primary Bay items and the Radiator items seem to affect each other, resulting in some confused boolean states

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.