Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

16 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

There are still some interactions going on between some of the Sub-Sat's PAW items. Here are steps to show an example:

1. start new vehicle in VAB, place wedge center and then attach Advanced Sub-Sat
  2. Using PAW, click Extend Radiator
  3. Notice there are no Extend or Retract Radiator items now
  4. Pick Deploy Primary Bays, followed by Retract Primary Bays
  5. Now Retract Radiator returns
  6. Click Retract Radiator and nullref flood

In the flight scene this same part will show similar behavior, without the nullrefs. In general the PAW items seem to be pretty confused with each other, meaning that the Primary Bay items and the Radiator items seem to affect each other, resulting in some confused boolean states

The US2 code has some replacements for stock modules.  I was using the stock ones where appropriate, but there seems to be an odd interaction between the US2 parts and stock, I'll be working on replacing the stock modules with the US2 ones.  Will take a day or so

Not sure if posted, but my builds aren't recognizing the battery part.  Playing 1.12.1 and can't find that update on CKAN or Spacedock, only 1.12.3.

Also, is the goo and material bay still not refreshable even with a scientist?

Edited by Fr8monkey

New release, 4.0.0.5

• Fixed microsats generating more nullrefs
  • Made all microsat animations available in the editor

Note:  I noticed that the camera isn't available for the advanced microsat in flight.  I'm trying to get a UI for it, so you can point the camera to something to take a picture

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Some progress! Been chugging away at proper iterations of the Advanced Microsat engines, in the lineup we have basic LF\O (central), mid-tier monoprop (left) and end-game xenon (right). As you progress through the tech tree, we're hoping to allow you to upgrade, and make this part more useful as time goes on :)

(Ignore all the lines, something screwy happened with the test renderer)

Xqg8Ifz.png

Edited by Daishi

Not sure if I'm missing something or if this us a bug, but I'm running into problems with the laser-altimeter / map-cam wedge. Mainly that I am unable to take any laser altimeter readings because the part "needs to be manned" (probably due to usageReqMaskInternal = 5) - is this intended? How do I "man" the wedge?

Other problem is that I can not recover the picture taken with the wide-field camera, nor am I able to reset the camera. The same is true for both advanced amterials bays on my current craft, which are now throwing the "cannot run experiment; science module full" error. Any help would be appreciated. Edited by krautbernd12

Hi @linuxgurugamer (and everyone involved in the development!), I was looking at the code in order to translate some sections and I've found something I don't understand exactly. 

Edit: Whoops, I didn't get your Covid line in the previous comment. I hope you're well!

In order to localize the PAW Buttons (and other things), in many PartModule classes there is this pattern (only relevant bits shown for a single string, example taken from https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/blob/master/USSourceDev/UniversalStorage/SwitchModules/USFuelSwitch.cs#L43):

[KSPField]
public string DisplayCostName = "Dry Cost";
// ...
private string _localizedDryCostString = "Dry Cost";
// ...
public override void OnStart(PartModule.StartState state)
{	// ...
	_localizedDryCostString = Localizer.Format(DisplayCostName);
    Fields["addedCost"].guiName = _localizedDryCostString;
}

However I can't get my head around it since it seems that:

1. It doesn't really use a localizable string ("Dry Cost" is not a translation token, furthermore it's not present in the localization files)
  2. Since they're not static tokens, can we replace it with something simpler in the following way?
Fields["addedCost"].guiName = Localizer.Format("#autoLOC_US_DryCost");

I'm pretty new to KSP modding, so please don't take my words as a complaint, I'm pretty sure there is something I'm missing here.
In case it's doable anyway I'd be happy to do a Pull Request to update the tokens (updating localization files too).
Thank you!

Edited by leonardfactory

3 hours ago, leonardfactory said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer (and everyone involved in the development!), I was looking at the code in order to translate some sections and I've found something I don't understand exactly. 

Edit: Whoops, I didn't get your Covid line in the previous comment. I hope you're well!

In order to localize the PAW Buttons (and other things), in many PartModule classes there is this pattern (only relevant bits shown for a single string, example taken from https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/blob/master/USSourceDev/UniversalStorage/SwitchModules/USFuelSwitch.cs#L43):

[KSPField]
public string DisplayCostName = "Dry Cost";
// ...
private string _localizedDryCostString = "Dry Cost";
// ...
public override void OnStart(PartModule.StartState state)
{	// ...
	_localizedDryCostString = Localizer.Format(DisplayCostName);
    Fields["addedCost"].guiName = _localizedDryCostString;
}

However I can't get my head around it since it seems that:

1. It doesn't really use a localizable string ("Dry Cost" is not a translation token, furthermore it's not present in the localization files)
  2. Since they're not static tokens, can we replace it with something simpler in the following way?
Fields["addedCost"].guiName = Localizer.Format("#autoLOC_US_DryCost");

I'm pretty new to KSP modding, so please don't take my words as a complaint, I'm pretty sure there is something I'm missing here.
In case it's doable anyway I'd be happy to do a Pull Request to update the tokens (updating localization files too).
Thank you!

Looks like that is something that needs to be localized.

Also, I haven't localized any of the work I've done recently.  This is known and will be addressed once the majority of the work is done (almost there)

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like that is something that needs to be localized.

Also, I haven't localized any of the work I've done recently.  This is known and will be addressed once the majority of the work is done (almost there)

I can begin working on it if you want, maybe if there is some module you're heavily touching you can tell me so I leave it aside for now. Is it okay for you?

17 minutes ago, leonardfactory said:

I can begin working on it if you want, maybe if there is some module you're heavily touching you can tell me so I leave it aside for now. Is it okay for you?

Feel free, and thanks.  Not planning on changing that much which is there, so any PRs you submit will be fine.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Feel free, and thanks.  Not planning on changing that much which is there, so any PRs you submit will be fine.

Done! I've got the PR here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/pull/4/files , let me know if it sounds right to you.

Regarding my previous comment, I've found the "strange pattern" I didn't get at first was needed in order to allow gui name customization directly from .cfg patches. Now it completely makes sense! 
I left it as it is, while just adding missing localization strings and some defaults.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:17 AM, SirLazenby said:

I can no longer load my game without it removing ships due to missing “USGuidanceComputer” since updating this MOD.

Same here,

Just edit the file "GuidanceComputer.cfg" in "GameData/UniversalStorage2/Parts/Electrical/"

and modify line 9 like this :

PART:NEEDS[kOS|MechJeb2]

Apologies if this was asked already, but didn't find it in a search of the thread. Should the solar panels in the payload shrouds still generate power when they are closed? In the PAW, I still see it receiving sun exposure and generating EC even when the doors are retracted. 

I'm so glad to see this mod finally getting finalized. I would like to ask for one thing - a balancing pass on mass. Most of the US2 parts are *heavy*. VERY VERY heavy. As a basic example is the simple 1.875m fairing. The KSP Making History 1.875 service bay weighs 150kg, while a double-height 1.875 US2 fairing clocks in at 179kg - and that doesn't even include a further 150kg for the core while the "core" of the MH service bay is already built in. A basic 4-core+fairing 'fuel tank' configuration holds 40/48 LF/O and tips the scales at 596kg, while the FL-12-100, the first LFO tank available, is 45/55 and only weighs 563kg. Adjusting the fuel volume down to match the US2 configuration (same footprint) it weighs 502kg. 

Okay, yes, logically you have a lot more 'metal' in the US2 core configuration, but KSP isn't really about that when it comes to other parts, even in other mods, for the most part everything tries to maintain a sense of scale except for very special parts with unique properties. If that is the argument, it's not even consistent. The humble US2 Monoprop tank has the exact same weight ratios as the standard radial monoprop tank, albeit in a slightly smaller form factor, but you still need the weight of the core (fairings are technically optional, I suppose).

I don't know, options just feel a little unfairly hobbled when it comes to some US2 parts that limits my creativity a bit, because why use radial fuel cans to power a probe when even a non-cheat Oscar-B tank provides an immense weight savings?

I may eventually begin tinkering with my own balancing pass. As-is some of the really heavy US2 items are kind of a result of unknown decision-making that doesn't add much enhancement, only limitations. Even if we want to keep the overall efficiency a little 'less', there's still some pretty overboard weight penalties, like the weight of the cores and fairings themselves were never factored into the balance. In the case of the 4-core LFO, the fairing alone adds a whopping 50kg, which is alone a 10% overhead over the standard FL-100, and the core is another 50kg. I go from a delta-V, with a spark engine, of 3674m/s down to 3254m/s for a 4-LFO US2 configuration WITHOUT the fairing. The exact same volume of fuel. The exact same dimensional footprint. There's absolutely no advantages to using US2 like this. But I'm losing 425 delta-v! That's an enormous difference.

The 'fuelable' fairings like the Soyuz are utterly TERRIBLE if you use the fuel options, with the weight skyrocketing for almost no gain at all. You were basically worse-off using them in every regard. I made US2 landers using some of them, and then would make a stock lander with identical capabilities, but the stock lander was vastly more efficient. The Vostok fairing in the 'structural' configuration  goes from 100kg to 445kg, just to add 40 units of Monoprop! Slapping on two radial monoprop tanks gives me 40 units, but at only 300kg. God help you if you use the LFO - you get 40/48 but your weight is a whopping 1046 kg! That's insane! An FL-12-200 tank takes me to 1,225 but my delta-V efficiency is increased FOUR FOLD.

Edited by Frostiken

You right, totally agree with a rebalancing on mass of this great mod.

Like I said, it's a great mod but it need some of tweak to be in real final version.

Personally, I waiting for @linuxgurugamer merge the PR of @leonardfactory to propose a french translation (that is finish).

Also, I've made some fix to categories and resized parts (1.875).

20 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Some of the science parts allow double experiments, such as the Mystery Goo and Science Jr. So the masses are modified slightly to reflect that.

The masses (and costs) of those 2 parts are doubled:

Stock Science Jr 200kg. US2 Advanced Material Bay 400kg.

Stock Goo 50kg. US2 Advanced Goo Unit 100kg.

If you have a scientist on your vessel to reset experiments, or just need one copy on a probe, the US2 parts are a cost and mass penalty.