Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

On 3/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, pwn said:

the decoupler TD-12 has the same mass as the universal storage decoupler, but with that one i'm reaching a 3x as high altitude, so the universal storage one must have a much higher drag somehow

with the TD-06 it seems to be the opposite. (the universal storage decoupler also stabilizes the craft better, maybe that's why it's better here?)

with bigger parts it seems to be the same story like with the TD-12, but much less severe.

There is a problem with the drag cubes in US2, I've fixed it, but not yet released it.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention

Like a complete Jeb, I've misplaces the location for downloading  Linuxgurugamers most excellent recent works on this mod. The  Links on the first page appear to point to versions published before the adoption and are less then useful. If someone could point to where thay're being hosted, that would be very useful

2 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Like a complete Jeb, I've misplaces the location for downloading  Linuxgurugamers most excellent recent works on this mod. The  Links on the first page appear to point to versions published before the adoption and are less then useful. If someone could point to where thay're being hosted, that would be very useful

Available on GitHub or SpaceDock (or CKAN)

Love the mod and use it all the time.  Can someone please answer why my battery wedge  is showing  a 500 charge in the VAB; but on launch, there is none.

Also, I have looked and no answer... why is the goo and materials bay wedges will not reset even with a scientist?

Thank you in advance.

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It should, but I haven't tested it there

Thanks for the quick reply, I will test it then. 

It should probably be fine since it's just parts, but I thought there might be some significant differences between how the game works with mods in 1.11 and 1.12 (that you are better aware of as a modder). Also I've seen many mods being updated/adopted straight to the 1.12 (with 1.11 skipped) and wonder why, so decided to ask you.

2 hours ago, Miruzuki said:

Thanks for the quick reply, I will test it then. 

It should probably be fine since it's just parts, but I thought there might be some significant differences between how the game works with mods in 1.11 and 1.12 (that you are better aware of as a modder). Also I've seen many mods being updated/adopted straight to the 1.12 (with 1.11 skipped) and wonder why, so decided to ask you.

It's not "just" parts, there is a significant amount of code there as well.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's not "just" parts, there is a significant amount of code there as well.

Yes, I understand that US2 has more complicated stuff inside (like animations, custom resources support, science experiments etc) than hypothetical pack of structural parts.

By the way it seems fine on 1.11.2 so far, but I only checked some basics. Will test more in my career soon.

I have a bug to report: The 0.625m to 1.25m tapered fairing (possibly not the only one, but I haven't checked any other parts) with solar panels added doesn't count as being able to generate power for the purposes of satellite contracts; if it's the only power-generating part on the vessel, the "build a new unmanned probe that has an antenna and can generate power" clause is marked as incomplete on the launchpad. If you slap an OX-STAT on the vessel in addition, it then counts.

Possibly related is a faulty mod interaction where the same tapered fairing is not recognized by Kerbalism as generating power when unloaded (though I suspect this is only fixable on Kerbalism's end).

On 3/14/2022 at 8:54 PM, DaviBones said:

I have a bug to report: The 0.625m to 1.25m tapered fairing (possibly not the only one, but I haven't checked any other parts) with solar panels added doesn't count as being able to generate power for the purposes of satellite contracts; if it's the only power-generating part on the vessel, the "build a new unmanned probe that has an antenna and can generate power" clause is marked as incomplete on the launchpad. If you slap an OX-STAT on the vessel in addition, it then counts.

Did you try to retract and deploy bay doors?

Edited by Vandest

Hi - love this mod - thanks so much to everyone involved in putting it together / maintaining it. I recently upgraded to 1.12 with the two expansions (been away for a while) and I see US2 has a bunch of new parts.

I am a little confused about the use cases of the two microsats, I read back a few pages and realise that this might be a WIP, but I did download from CKAN so I thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something. The smaller lunar sputnik like one - has a very low amount of EC and no control, yet has some science experiments. Is the intended useage to let them go on their own and perhaps control via ground control or something?

The second larger one has an animation that pops out as soon as I load it into the VAB (perhaps a magnetometer?) and I can't work out for the life of me how to retract it. I've tried from the launchpad and in space and same situation holds, so at the moment its not useable as I can't launch it as is.

I've tried to find other people's example crafts using these parts but haven't been able to find anything, and the US2 site doesn't seem to include these new parts yet either - if there's somewhere I should go to read up about the newer parts could someone point me towards it?

If these aren't known / expected behaviours - I'll come back with my list of mods / logs / screenshots etc.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Andrew Jolly said:

Hi - love this mod - thanks so much to everyone involved in putting it together / maintaining it. I recently upgraded to 1.12 with the two expansions (been away for a while) and I see US2 has a bunch of new parts.

I am a little confused about the use cases of the two microsats, I read back a few pages and realise that this might be a WIP, but I did download from CKAN so I thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something. The smaller lunar sputnik like one - has a very low amount of EC and no control, yet has some science experiments. Is the intended useage to let them go on their own and perhaps control via ground control or something?

The second larger one has an animation that pops out as soon as I load it into the VAB (perhaps a magnetometer?) and I can't work out for the life of me how to retract it. I've tried from the launchpad and in space and same situation holds, so at the moment its not useable as I can't launch it as is.

I've tried to find other people's example crafts using these parts but haven't been able to find anything, and the US2 site doesn't seem to include these new parts yet either - if there's somewhere I should go to read up about the newer parts could someone point me towards it?

If these aren't known / expected behaviours - I'll come back with my list of mods / logs / screenshots etc.

Thanks!

It is a bug, you are the first to report it.

Next time, please post a log, just to save time.

I have been able to replicate it, and have already fixed it locally

I'll be releasing a bugfix release later this morning

On 3/10/2022 at 3:19 PM, Fr8monkey said:

Love the mod and use it all the time.  Can someone please answer why my battery wedge  is showing  a 500 charge in the VAB; but on launch, there is none.

Also, I have looked and no answer... why is the goo and materials bay wedges will not reset even with a scientist?

No logs, no support

On 3/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, DaviBones said:

Possibly related is a faulty mod interaction where the same tapered fairing is not recognized by Kerbalism as generating power when unloaded (though I suspect this is only fixable on Kerbalism's end).

No logs, no support

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 4.0.0.7

• Fixed drag cube for the ACDSmall, ACD1500, ACDLarge decoupler
  • Added Mass to USSolarSwitch
  • Added display of mass & cost of USSolarSwitch to PAW
  • Fixed IndexOutOfRange exception for microsats, due to no _PanelMasses specified (was added for embedded panels)

Thank you so much for keeping US2 going, and even adding some more things! Pretty much every craft has a US2 bay full of science, batteries, tanks, food, etc. It's great!

I've been trying out various US2 stuff as I play, and noticed a few minor things:

• I've been trying out the 1.875m shroud, it's sort of working, but it's actual 50% too tall: so it's great if you put in a three height core for a double height shroud (works fine). I think one of the scales in CylindricalShroud1875.cfg should be 1.0 not 1.4625 - which ever is "up" (sigh, looks at right hand, looks at left, shrugs) the... last one? first? I'd guess same for the 1.5m one, but I don't have BDB so havn't used that. Possibly it'd look squished, I think I read somewhere this might be a temporary model until a proper one is made (no hurry).
  • I've not really worked out how to use the L-ALT Camera thing: it seems to have a camera and a laser altimiter.
    • usageReqMaskInteranl/External suggests something like this, but I can't quite fathom them out.
    • Update: Tried a scienist on EVA: laser reading still not possible, but the picture thing works. "Experiment must be manned" comes up, but vessel is manned (but command pod is in another stage). Anyone got the L in the L-ALT to work?
Edited by 610yesnolovely

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

Sorry for my stupid question, but is there a picture gallery with all the parts in this mod and where can the actual adoption fork or linuxguru be found and downloaded?

The updates are not on the front page, but they're in the threads, so not quite stupid question. Guess most people are probably using CKAN.

There are releases on LGG's github: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/releases/tag/4.0.0.7

As for picture gallery, I don't think there's one other than skimming through this forum. For some reason I'm 50% thinking there is a KSPedia page, but 50% that my brain is thinking about another mod (probably Orbital Science). My way is to use Janitor's Closet to show only a particular mod and drag things into the editor.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

On 3/26/2022 at 2:37 AM, 610yesnolovely said:

I've been trying out various US2 stuff as I play, and noticed a few minor things:

• I've been trying out the 1.875m shroud, it's sort of working, but it's actual 50% too tall: so it's great if you put in a three height core for a double height shroud (works fine). I think one of the scales in CylindricalShroud1875.cfg should be 1.0 not 1.4625 - which ever is "up" (sigh, looks at right hand, looks at left, shrugs) the... last one? first? I'd guess same for the 1.5m one, but I don't have BDB so havn't used that. Possibly it'd look squished, I think I read somewhere this might be a temporary model until a proper one is made (no hurry).

You right, resized 1.875 shrouds don't match with wedge cores height. To fix this you can put a patch named like you want (mine is named "US_Resized.cfg") in GameData folder with this inside :

@PART[USCylindricalShroud125ResizedTo1875-1]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@MODEL
	{		
		@scale = 1.4625, 0.975, 1.4625
	}
}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud1500ResizedTo1875-2]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@MODEL
	{		
		@scale = 1.21875, 0.975, 1.21875
	}
}

You can note you must change values by 0.975 and not 1.0 because all Universal Storage parts get an other resized patch that change its scales to this value.

Effectively, it look a little squished but this duplicated part was made to fill the lack of 1.875 shrouds. I also hope it's a temporary solution but I'm not a 3D designer, so I hope there will be someone like @Daishi would make something for that.

Edited by Vandest

On 3/27/2022 at 9:28 AM, Rakete said:

Sorry for my stupid question, but is there a picture gallery with all the parts in this mod and where can the actual adoption fork or linuxguru be found and downloaded?

The visible part list changes based on what mods you have installed - the biggest one is TAC life support that unlocks several food, water, waste, greywater, recycling tanks, etc. Apart from that I have some banner renders I can relink that gives a good approximation of the partlist scope of US2.

wtfxujt4te111.png

The core mod, after it was rebooted from the original Universal Storage. Radial tanks, batteries, a whole suite of lifesupport generators that tie into TAC or Kerbalism, EVA-Extender backpacks, SAS modules that combine with decouplers, the original shrouds and payload bays, fueled central core trusses that everything snaps into, Kerbal Engineer support, fuel cells, generators, guidance computers. 

tnx5hzofwo841.jpg

A themed russian\tantares\making history set of shroud variants, alongside new size profiles, solar panels on the doors, and early life support parts.

ogstdv15g2s21.jpg

Science parts - mainly combined barometer\thermometer, two kinds of probe cores, accelerometer\ gravioli detectors, compact multi-sample materials bay, compact multi-sample goo bay, and a fluid spectrometer. 

More recently, we have Lunar Mapsat scanners, a science storage box, a large and small subsatellite, plus extra experiments tied in with them. 

On 3/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, 610yesnolovely said:

The updates are not on the front page, but they're in the threads, so not quite stupid question. Guess most people are probably using CKAN.

There are releases on LGG's github: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/universal-storage-2/releases/tag/4.0.0.7

As for picture gallery, I don't think there's one other than skimming through this forum. For some reason I'm 50% thinking there is a KSPedia page, but 50% that my brain is thinking about another mod (probably Orbital Science). My way is to use Janitor's Closet to show only a particular mod and drag things into the editor.

We used to maintain an in-game KSPedia page, but when Squad discontinued that feature it became more tedious to keep it going, so it only really covers the first major release or so. Dmagic did all our original coding and he's the author of Orbital Sciences, so US2 and his mods are almost joined at the hip :)

On 3/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, Vandest said:

You right, resized 1.875 shrouds don't match with wedge cores height. To fix this you can put a patch named like you want (mine is named "US_Resized.cfg") in GameData folder with this inside :

@PART[USCylindricalShroud125ResizedTo1875-1]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@MODEL
	{		
		@scale = 1.4625, 0.975, 1.4625
	}
}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud1500ResizedTo1875-2]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@MODEL
	{		
		@scale = 1.21875, 0.975, 1.21875
	}
}

You can note you must change values by 0.975 and not 1.0 because all Universal Storage parts get an other resized patch that change its scales to this value.

Effectively, it look a little squished but this duplicated part was made to fill the lack of 1.875 shrouds. I also hope it's a temporary solution but I'm not a 3D designer, so I hope there will be someone like @Daishi would make something for that.

Working on it now :)

R0Zi2ES.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.