Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

After doing a search of the topic and reading a a few pages I haven't seen anyone explain how the Laser Altimeter works/is supposed to be manned.  Did I miss an earlier explanation or is it non-functional in its current state?

I've also found that if I transfer the first experiment result from an advanced materials bay or the double mystery goo experiment using the Ship Manifest mod it will no longer allow me to reset the 2nd experiment or transfer it using the manifest mod.  I have no idea if this an issue with this mod or the ship manifest mod, or if making them compatible is even a priority, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Jcklemme

On 1/27/2022 at 3:25 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, it _is_ a normal temperature scan, with less science than the stock one

I've been able to duplicate the problem, not sure what's going on yet.  It actually has nothing to do with the Extended Information mod

I'm having this issue too, and couldn't find a comment about it later in the topic. Were you able to fix this?

On 1/25/2022 at 10:48 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

A release (finally!!!)

• Changes from last beta:
  • Fixed bulkheadProfiles for many parts
  • Added three new parts:
  • Basic Sub-satellite
    • Contains two small science experiments, temperature and pressure
  • Advanced Sub-Satellite
    • Contains the following experiments
      • Magnometer
      • Camera, for low altitude photos
      • Solar panels, fixed
      • Radiators, deployable
      • Xenon gas tank
    • Antenna, deployable
  • Micro-Dawn Electric Drive
    • Designed to attach to the bottom of the Advanced Sub-Satellite.  Combined with the satellite, it has a bit more than 700 dV available

Please report any issues that you see.  

Universal Storage II installed via ckan, using version 4.0.0.7, KIS 1.29; other mods installed such as those from Nertea (Chris Adderley) or their dependencies probably shouldn't be affecting UvSii?
KSP is 1.12.3.3173
With the exception of the latest version of MechJeb (which I haven't fully unlocked yet) I don't think I'm using any of the other mods that integrate with, or have components for UvSii (such as KOS, Kerbalism, TAClife, etc.), or DMagic which is listed as incompatible with my current version of KSP.
When attempting to make use of the advanced sub-satellite, in VAB all functions appear normal, are named correctly, and toggle correctly; upon release from service bay however it changes to three instances of "primary bay", and even in direct sunlight the solar panels report 0% exposure/zero flow.
Additionally, none of the science experiments onboard can be activated (but "transmit data" functions at least).
I'm not yet convinced that this is an issue with UvSii just yet, and was hoping for ideas to further troubleshoot. 
For instance:
Is there a known incompatibility with some other mod that could be rendering the bay (camera cover, antenna, magnetometer boom, radiators) naming and activation incorrectly, and/or those components inoperable? (If so, that mod is soooo gone, in favor of preserving UvSii functionality)
See screen shot of installed mods (listed below - as a note almost half of those folders made me go "But... I don't remember installing that?" - which makes me think they might be dependencies and I'm just too new to modding to figure that out) and log files (also below) for potentially useful information; it appears from an untrained eye that there are either parts missing (probably my fault?) or simulations? missing (maybe my fault?) and a couple of NullRefs got kicked out... but I don't think those are UvSii related?
Also, again, I have to say thank you for the incredibly understanding and kind first reply!

Screenshot and the logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kg6-o6vB0sLXU3R9yUYcQqAWvRhhcokT/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nWaq3FJ5ycA0dFOAhXLnHysf1-oa-CFC/view?usp=sharing
Additionally, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get a screenshot of the satellite's behavior in orbit in case that also helps to pinpoint anything.
Thank you all again!

Edited by JRedWolf
Okay, thanks to a very kind reply from @Brigadier this should be (hopefully) the last edit!

Welcome to the forums.

As a general rule, you can help your own cause by including a link to your log files when you post a problem.  They're often required when diagnosing a problem, especially when you've done some of your own troubleshooting and failed to resolve it.  See the link in my sig block for more guidance on what to do when asking for help with a modded KSP install.

19 minutes ago, JRedWolf said:

Are there research categories that need to be unlocked as prerequisites to "do" the science after unlocking the module itself?
Is there a known incompatibility with some other mod that could be rendering the bay (camera cover, antenna, magnetometer boom, radiators) naming and activation incorrectly, and/or those components inoperable? (If so, that mod is soooo gone, in favor of preserving UvSii functionality)
Is there a dependency that ckan missed?

1.  Generally, no.
  2. I'm not sure I'm the best to answer this question but having a look at a list of your installed mods might help.  This can be as simple as posting a screen shot of your GameData folder.
  3. Unlikely.  There have been so many successful installs of US2 via CKAN for this to have slipped through.  You could manually install US2 to find out but I wouldn't bother.

Further troubleshooting step you might pursue is to create a new, clean KSP install and add only US2 and its dependencies to see if you can recreate the problem.  If you don't see it, start adding your mods back in a few at a time until you do and then narrow the culprit down.

12 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Welcome to the forums.

As a general rule, you can help your own cause by including a link to your log files when you post a problem.  They're often required when diagnosing a problem, especially when you've done some of your own troubleshooting and failed to resolve it.  See the link in my sig block for more guidance on what to do when asking for help with a modded KSP install.

1.  Generally, no.
  2. I'm not sure I'm the best to answer this question but having a look at a list of your installed mods might help.  This can be as simple as posting a screen shot of your GameData folder.
  3. Unlikely.  There have been so many successful installs of US2 via CKAN for this to have slipped through.  You could manually install US2 to find out but I wouldn't bother.

Further troubleshooting step you might pursue is to create a new, clean KSP install and add only US2 and its dependencies to see if you can recreate the problem.  If you don't see it, start adding your mods back in a few at a time until you do and then narrow the culprit down.

Thank you for your response!
The log files are quite insanely huge (and had wrongly assumed they'd only be useful in the instance of a crash) but towards the bottom half of them I see quite a few error messages, so I can definitely see how they'd be useful now.  I'm going to go back and edit the original message to include a screenshot of installed mods (I'm still exceptionally new to modding, but I'm guessing all the "huh, I don't remember installing that" folders would be dependencies), and link to the amazingly verbose logfile.
Thanks again!

3 hours ago, JRedWolf said:

Thank you for your response!
The log files are quite insanely huge (and had wrongly assumed they'd only be useful in the instance of a crash) but towards the bottom half of them I see quite a few error messages, so I can definitely see how they'd be useful now.  I'm going to go back and edit the original message to include a screenshot of installed mods (I'm still exceptionally new to modding, but I'm guessing all the "huh, I don't remember installing that" folders would be dependencies), and link to the amazingly verbose logfile.
Thanks again!

You're welcome.  This is what the KSP community does.

You can reduce the size of the log files by running KSP for the minimum time to exhibit the error you're describing, then quitting the game and copying the log files somewhere else since they'll be overwritten next time you start.  This also helps those diagnosing the issue by limiting extraneous noise in the log.

General tips

1. I would highly recommend that you play on a copy of KSP.  Download it once from Steam, copy the entire KSP folder elsewhere, then mod and play that copied version.  This is legal and gives you a local, pristine copy of the game which you can duplicate to your hearts content.  It's a good backup and if you ever what to play incompatible setups, particularly planet packs or different rescales, you have a source. 
  2. You can always use CKAN to check for a mod's dependencies by clicking on the mod in the left panel and then the Relationships tab in the right panel.  CKAN can also manage your mods for each instance of KSP you create.

I can't see much wrong in the player.log.  There's clearly a lot going on and I'm surprised at the quantity of some of the messages from US2.  Could you please post a link to your KSP.log file, which is located in the KSP root folder and which may be of more help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, James Fire said:

I'm having this issue too, and couldn't find a comment about it later in the topic. Were you able to fix this?

Same.  Noticed this issue I think after upgrading from USii 1.9.x to 4.x.  These science contracts showed up that wasn't there before.

Simple Atmospheric Pressure Scan
Simple Temperature Scan
High Atmosphere Analysis
Visual Camera Observation

Absolutely loving this mod.  So great for making compact and nice to look at satellite bus assemblies.

One very minor issue I've had with it is that on the basic and advanced satellite parts, disabling/enabling decoupler staging doesn't actually do anything. Regardless of how it is set, the decoupler remains staged. Not a huge deal as I can just drag their decouplers to the very top of the staging order so they don't get staged automatically, but perhaps something to look into when you have time.

C5TIoLp.png

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

I love this fantastic mod! So many nice parts to store all the science experiments and life support in much more convenient ways.

I stumbled upon a small little typo, @Paul Kingtiger: When the Primary Bays of the Universal Storage: Tapered Fairing (0.625m to 1.25m) are extended, the Retract option calls them now Brimary Bays.

J2xvc95.png

But maybe that's just the Kerbal spelling :D .

Another tiny issue I encountered for the same Universal Storage: Tapered Fairing (0.625m to 1.25m): Enabling the solar panels only works if I select the  Structural Configuration. Any other configuration (Crew Transfer Tunn, Wedge Bracket) and clicking the Toggle Solar Panel button does nothing. Is this intended or a bug, @Paul Kingtiger?

Edited by FasterThanFlourite

On 8/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, birdog357 said:

I'm getting a error with the material bay saying "cannot run experiment; science module full" what's that all about?

On 8/24/2019 at 4:25 AM, crimsonbinome22 said:

I'm getting this one as well, but so far only the "Advanced Materials Bay" and "Advanced Goo Unit" modules, weirdly the "Atmospheric Science Unit" is fine. In case it helps. 

• I'm having the issue landed on Minmus (landed/inflight) but am yet to test anywhere besides the launchpad. 
  • I tested the same vehicle, and some test vehicles with different combinations of science modules and cannot recreate the issue on the launchpad.
  • I'm on 1.7.3. 
  • Running lots of parts mods but not much that is science related, only "[x] Science Continued".
On 8/26/2019 at 12:57 PM, Arcurador said:

I'm having the same issue. I am unable to run experiments with the materials bay or the mystery goo. I keep getting a message that says the science module is full, but I haven't run any experiments. But it does work if I bring more than one. For example: One module of goo gives me the message that it can't run the experiments, but the rest work just fine. Same with the materials bay. I'm also using X science.

I'm loving this mod and thank you for all the work you put into it. US has been one of my favorite mods since the first US. So thank you for a great mod! 

3 years later I am having the exact same error. I am on 1.12.9. Ckan mark all my mod as up to date. I searched everywhere and it seems nobody ever responded to this bug.

Does anyone have a solution please ?

On 4/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, FasterThanFlourite said:

I love this fantastic mod! So many nice parts to store all the science experiments and life support in much more convenient ways.

Another tiny issue I encountered for the same Universal Storage: Tapered Fairing (0.625m to 1.25m): Enabling the solar panels only works if I select the  Structural Configuration. Any other configuration (Crew Transfer Tunn, Wedge Bracket) and clicking the Toggle Solar Panel button does nothing. Is this intended or a bug, ?

Thank you! I love my greebles :D Btw Paul has stepped away from the mod, and Dmagic is on hiatus, so it's only LGG and myself for the time being. I'll have a look to see if there are any typos in the config preventing the solars from working. 

On 4/30/2022 at 2:54 AM, Lide said:

3 years later I am having the exact same error. I am on 1.12.9. Ckan mark all my mod as up to date. I searched everywhere and it seems nobody ever responded to this bug.

US2 has its own science system, it kinda doesn't play well with anything unfortunately. If you updated to LGG's version of xScience it might run better if he's added cross-compatibility to it, not sure. He'll pop in here sometime and let you know :) 

On 4/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, Lide said:

That does sound like a problem.  Can you be a bit more specific, as in, exact steps needed to reproduce it?

Hey! I've been using this mod for years and put it on my save again after coming back to KSP recently.

Unofortunately, I've tried to use the Advanced Sub-Satellite part and despite my best efforts I cannot get the solar panels to work. I've tried messing with every in flight part setting but they will not generate electricity, even though every other part of it works fine. See below how the sun exposure is 0% even though I am in direct sunlight

ybqwsab.png

So glad this mod is being maintained again! By the way, the USI fuel tank masses have always been about 10x heavier than the standard fuel tanks in Kerbal, which can result in major dV losses. Is this intended?

Here is an example from Parts\Fuels\AerozineWedge.cfg:

// Special
    // Contains any special functionality for this part
    /+
        // Universal Storage Part Switch Config
        // Used to set resources, cost and mass or different versions of the part
            MODULE
            {
                name = USFuelSwitch
                SwitchID = 0
                resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer
                resourceAmounts = 10,12;20,24;30,36;40,48
                initialResourceAmounts = 10,12;20,24;30,36;40,48
                tankCost = 0;35;70;105
                tankMass = 0;0.014;0.028;0.042
                hasGUI = False
                availableInEditor = False
                displayCurrentTankCost = True
                ShowInfo = False
            }

Normally tank mass is the LiquidFuel divided by 7200, which in this case would yield a tank mass of 0.0014, not 0.014.

I'm making some fixes to the cfgs for the tanks and the wedge covers that have added fuel to them, so if anyone is interested let me know.

How do I select parts placed inside a Universal Storage: Cylindrical Fairing / Payload Bay configuration? Once placed it becomes nearly impossible to select the parts again.

4DQlaYo.png

Is there a way to make the fairing bay get out of the way / make it invisible so you can actually place and rearrange parts inside it properly?

On 5/8/2022 at 8:26 PM, MagicCuboid said:

So glad this mod is being maintained again! By the way, the USI fuel tank masses have always been about 10x heavier than the standard fuel tanks in Kerbal, which can result in major dV losses. Is this intended?

Here is an example from Parts\Fuels\AerozineWedge.cfg:

// Special
    // Contains any special functionality for this part
    /+
        // Universal Storage Part Switch Config
        // Used to set resources, cost and mass or different versions of the part
            MODULE
            {
                name = USFuelSwitch
                SwitchID = 0
                resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer
                resourceAmounts = 10,12;20,24;30,36;40,48
                initialResourceAmounts = 10,12;20,24;30,36;40,48
                tankCost = 0;35;70;105
                tankMass = 0;0.014;0.028;0.042
                hasGUI = False
                availableInEditor = False
                displayCurrentTankCost = True
                ShowInfo = False
            }

Normally tank mass is the LiquidFuel divided by 7200, which in this case would yield a tank mass of 0.0014, not 0.014.

I'm making some fixes to the cfgs for the tanks and the wedge covers that have added fuel to them, so if anyone is interested let me know.

A re-balancing is currently in testing.

All parts got its weight and quantity re-balanced compared to stock parts, also some bugs have been fixed.

If you want to test it, you can download it here and install it as a patch.

Feel free to come back here to say what do think about it.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:14 PM, Vandest said:

A re-balancing is currently in testing.

All parts got its weight and quantity re-balanced compared to stock parts, also some bugs have been fixed.

If you want to test it, you can download it here and install it as a patch.

Feel free to come back here to say what do think about it.

PLEASE PLAYTEST THESE PATCHES

I am considering incorporating them in the next release

Not sure yet if it will be as an optional patch or merged with the parts.

I NEED FEEDBACK

Thanks to @Vandest for all this work

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 2:55 PM, HappyOrz said:

Same.  Noticed this issue I think after upgrading from USii 1.9.x to 4.x.  These science contracts showed up that wasn't there before.

Simple Atmospheric Pressure Scan
Simple Temperature Scan
High Atmosphere Analysis
Visual Camera Observation

I ran into this same issue.

The USBasicMicroSatWedge seems to be the right part, but I didn't know what it was in the part editor.

I think this is the "USBasicMicroSatWedge", but it doesn't show that it has "Simple Temperature Scan" or "Simple Atmospheric Scan." I also thought it was a probe core, based on its name, which is why I skipped over it before. It's poorly named IMO.

basicmicrosatwedge.png?dl=1

So, I edited the part I did know, the ThermoBaroWedge to use the US experiment instead of the stock one.

In the end, I made a ModuleManager patch to change the "Atmospheric Science Unit" part to use the US science experiments, and that worked. I was able to complete my contract at that point. This is the logical part, since it says "Atmospheric" in it.

@PART[USThermoBaroWedge]
{
	@MODULE[USSimpleScience]:HAS[#experimentID[temperatureScan]]:FINAL
	{
		@experimentID = UStemperatureScan
	}
	@MODULE[USSimpleScience]:HAS[#experimentID[barometerScan]]:FINAL
	{
		@experimentID = USbarometerScan
	}
}

Edited by Phoenix84
typo

Getting massive log spam from the new mass-adjusting code on the fairings with solar panels enabled - drops FPS to incredibly low levels:

{excerpt from log}
USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.521] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.521] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.523] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.540] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.557] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.574] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.617] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.633] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.649] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
[LOG 09:28:30.665] [Universal_Storage] USSolarSwitch.GetModuleMass, SolarCellMass: 0.02
{end excerpt}

Would include link to complete log but...well, it's over 220MB.  If it IS still necessary I can try to get a minimalistic example with just a few seconds of flight time and hope that ends up a managable size...

Also the scale on the current 1.875m fairings is drastically off (though I'm guessing this will be moot once the new model is done?).  And still not seeing that wonderful lander-frame-part progress ;)