Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

On 11/8/2021 at 10:11 AM, panarchist said:

Not sure much if anything needs to happen to "keep it going", since it works already with the final version of KSP 1. It's more that there were a few outstanding items that Daishi and Kingtiger originally stated they had planned, and which got back-burnered. I think we're all aware this is 100% volunteer, and I think we're all very appreciative of all the work over the years. I know I am. No one has made a modular storage system to compare to this one, and it's always one of the first mods I install (and keep installed) on any KSP installation I spin up. Modding's a thankless job, and I'm surprised more of the KSP modding community hasn't burned out, or burned out quicker. If they both choose to leave it permanently, I hope they'll be amenable to granting permission for someone to distribute the mod in the event that the current repositories go away.

I've been in touch with @Paul Kingtiger about this mod, and have reached out to @Daishi about getting permission to package/distribute the models in an adopted version.

What I intend to do is to consolidate all the patches listed above, and fix any open bugs, will also provide it on Github along with an Issues list where things can be tracked.

Won't happen for a little bit, I'm busy with my life support mod, but I can get started once I hear from @Daishi (assuming it's good news)

On 12/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been in touch with @Paul Kingtiger about this mod, and have reached out to @Daishi about getting permission to package/distribute the models in an adopted version.

What I intend to do is to consolidate all the patches listed above, and fix any open bugs, will also provide it on Github along with an Issues list where things can be tracked.

Won't happen for a little bit, I'm busy with my life support mod, but I can get started once I hear from @Daishi (assuming it's good news)

Let me know if you need any help with testing fixes / changes. I use this mod in every save, I've done QA work before and can write a decent bug report, (been doing tech / SaaS work for almost 25 years) and I'm highly interested in this mod continuing on. If I had more direct modding experience I'd have reached out myself. (someone's gotta keep you from adopting ALL the mods) :wink:

58 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Let me know if you need any help with testing fixes / changes. I use this mod in every save, I've done QA work before and can write a decent bug report, (been doing tech / SaaS work for almost 25 years) and I'm highly interested in this mod continuing on. If I had more direct modding experience I'd have reached out myself. (someone's gotta keep you from adopting ALL the mods) :wink:

I have the following unofficial patches which I've gleaned from the past year or so in the thread:

• Most important, from @610yesnolovely, the fix for the NRE
  • A zip file from @Gordon Dry with a bunch of Kerbalism fixes
  • A list of errors from @grylliade with some errors listed in various config files
  • A fix from @jefferyharrell with a fix for the TACLS 
  • A patch from @Sandriell which expands fuel optoins and support to the fuel tank wedge for some resources added by Cryotanks
  • From @Starseeker, a description of errors on some issues with localization strings for some parts

Except for the first one, I haven't done anything with the others yet, waiting to hear back from @Daishi before investing any more time.  When I do, assuming it's good news, I will definitely be asking for testers

If there are any other patches, cfgs, etc, which you think should be included, please let me know so I can add it to my collection of unofficial patches (for now)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I kept hoping @linuxgurugamerwould come along and organize us. Very happy to hear that this may hopefully happen. I'm happy to help!

Note that I've personally not tested the changes I proposed, I got lazy and just used @NicolaSixversion which from what I saw in GitHub has my suggested fix in it. I did not however check if there were other fixes/changes, but that worked great, so I got distracted again actually playing.

5 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

I kept hoping @linuxgurugamerwould come along and organize us. Very happy to hear that this may hopefully happen. I'm happy to help!

Note that I've personally not tested the changes I proposed, I got lazy and just used @NicolaSixversion which from what I saw in GitHub has my suggested fix in it. I did not however check if there were other fixes/changes, but that worked great, so I got distracted again actually playing.

He only had your changes in it (I went through all his code line by line, what a pain since he had reformatted it extensively).

Only other changes I've done is a bit of formatting and commenting out some unused code

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have the following unofficial patches which I've gleaned from the past year or so in the thread:

• Most important, from @610yesnolovely, the fix for the NRE
  • A zip file from @Gordon Dry with a bunch of Kerbalism fixes
  • A list of errors from @grylliade with some errors listed in various config files
  • A fix from @jefferyharrell with a fix for the TACLS 
  • A patch from @Sandriell which expands fuel optoins and support to the fuel tank wedge for some resources added by Cryotanks
  • From @Starseeker, a description of errors on some issues with localization strings for some parts

Except for the first one, I haven't done anything with the others yet, waiting to hear back from @Daishi before investing any more time.  When I do, assuming it's good news, I will definitely be asking for testers

If there are any other patches, cfgs, etc, which you think should be included, please let me know so I can add it to my collection of unofficial patches (for now)

I can't think of any outside of that list, unless you can somehow convince Daishi to create a re-skin of an existing tank for Nitrogen. (it was on Daishi's to-do list at one point, I and others requested it to support Kerbalism and other mods using N2 as a resource.

new art is not likely to happen

On 1/22/2021 at 6:28 AM, Daishi said:

i just lost my PC hard drive to a bootloader corruption issue. Data is still there but it means i need to rebuild all my unity projects in a fresh install of Windows 10 and reinstall everything. Not really feeling it on top of global & personal stuff.

Edited by danielboro

18 hours ago, panarchist said:

I can't think of any outside of that list, unless you can somehow convince Daishi to create a re-skin of an existing tank for Nitrogen. (it was on Daishi's to-do list at one point, I and others requested it to support Kerbalism and other mods using N2 as a resource.

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Probably not, but you never know.

OTOH, I might be able to get another modder to do  a reskin

I feel like you could make a copy of one of the existing tanks (the H2 tank comes to mind) and put some sort of nitrogen label on a copy of the texture - though, might not be possible to do things in "reverse" from the mod files like that, and it would also most likely require getting permission to redistribute modified assets from the mod.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

He only had your changes in it (I went through all his code line by line, what a pain since he had reformatted it extensively).

Only other changes I've done is a bit of formatting and commenting out some unused code

She maybe ran the Rider auto-format across the project for the sake of readability, I think I was partially working from a compiled version because the published source was missing files iirc. :P
Didn't really expect it to go anywhere, I did the fix for myself because I use this in most of my playthroughs.
But yes the change is essentially inserting a pair of extra null checks prior to their access in EditorPartIconLister::PartIconSpawn ln54 to 63

if (!icon.isPart)
return;

if (icon.partInfo == null)
return;

if (icon.partInfo.partPrefab == null)
return;

if (icon.partInfo.moduleInfo == null)
return;

var flag = false;

I would have preferred to have committed the original, changed as needed then committed to show the patch clearly but I couldn't or didn't, can't rightly remember.

2 hours ago, NicolaSix said:

She maybe ran the Rider auto-format across the project for the sake of readability, I think I was partially working from a compiled version because the published source was missing files iirc. :P
Didn't really expect it to go anywhere, I did the fix for myself because I use this in most of my playthroughs.
But yes the change is essentially inserting a pair of extra null checks prior to their access in EditorPartIconLister::PartIconSpawn ln54 to 63

if (!icon.isPart)
return;

if (icon.partInfo == null)
return;

if (icon.partInfo.partPrefab == null)
return;

if (icon.partInfo.moduleInfo == null)
return;

var flag = false;

I would have preferred to have committed the original, changed as needed then committed to show the patch clearly but I couldn't or didn't, can't rightly remember.

Thanks, I did get the original source, and have the fix implemented.  Just waiting to hear about the assets before proceeding

14 hours ago, Starseeker said:

I feel like you could make a copy of one of the existing tanks (the H2 tank comes to mind) and put some sort of nitrogen label on a copy of the texture - though, might not be possible to do things in "reverse" from the mod files like that, and it would also most likely require getting permission to redistribute modified assets from the mod.

Yup

On 12/13/2021 at 4:04 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

You have my blessing, but Dmagic might need a heads up with all the custom plugins he made. Sent you a DM - would love to have someone else on the project with me. Is a bit too much on my own :)

On 12/14/2021 at 4:16 AM, panarchist said:

More the merrier :)

On 12/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, panarchist said:

Kerbalism kinda took off into this massive mod I wasn't really expecting - did have plans to get parts done for all the infrastructure but it just kept piling up. A few tank reskins shouldn't be too bad. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:26 PM, danielboro said:

new art is not likely to happen

I had no data loss and have all my projects rebuilt, so it's not the end of the world. I've dipped completely out of Kerbal so i wouldn't have a clue what's changed - but as long as my old methods of exporting to this janky old version of Unity work, i can get some in-progress stuff pushed over the line.

10 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Wait, I just realized there's no 1.875 straight. There's one for 1.25, 1.5, and 2.5, but no 1.875...

This would be a great way to replace the MH's 1.875 service bay.

Was being worked on, it was the last part that's been missing for years. Time flies 

3 hours ago, Daishi said:

Was being worked on, it was the last part that's been missing for years. Time flies 

And not once did I ever ask about it. :P 

(yeah right, did I?!) :D 

It would be amazing to see US2 get a last stretch 'hurrah!' and good for KSP 1.12. Its one of those pinnacle KSP mods, a cornerstone of the modding scene.

10 hours ago, Daishi said:

You have my blessing, but Dmagic might need a heads up with all the custom plugins he made. Sent you a DM - would love to have someone else on the project with me. Is a bit too much on my own

It will be an honor to adopt this and finish it up for 1.12

I’ll contact  @DMagic, but don’t expect any problems there

I'm looking at the attach node sizes right now.   First off, I see there aren't any for the probe cores, can anyone explain why?

Also, I see that ALL nodes sizes are 1, would there be any objection if I adjusted the sizes for the appropriate part size?

IE:  0.625 would get a node size of 0,

1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 would all remain with a node size of 1

2.5 would get a node size of 2

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm looking at the attach node sizes right now.   First off, I see there aren't any for the probe cores, can anyone explain why?

Also, I see that ALL nodes sizes are 1, would there be any objection if I adjusted the sizes for the appropriate part size?

IE:  0.625 would get a node size of 0,

1.25, 1.5 and 1.875 would all remain with a node size of 1

2.5 would get a node size of 2

In the early days, load bearing nodes for the top and bottom of cores had pretty severe physics problems and glitched out at the 0 size. Not sure if that's still a thing, keep an eye out though :)

3 minutes ago, Daishi said:

In the early days, load bearing nodes for the top and bottom of cores had pretty severe physics problems and glitched out at the 0 size. Not sure if that's still a thing, keep an eye out though :)

That isn't a thing anymore, as far as I know.

I'm still waiting for @DMagic, but have gone ahead and written the missing USScienceContainer module.  Pretty neat animation on the Data Input Terminal

I seem to remember having various fixes lined up for US2 that hadn't been released. I think everything is up on the dev version folder of the repo.

Assuming everything is still working there it should be fine to take over and fix this up for 1.12.

Ok, now that I've gotten approval from all, I'll be working on the adoption.

I have a bunch of fixes implemented as well as a new science module written (USScienceContainer).

I'm very busy with another mod right now, so while I am working on this, it will probably be one or two weeks before a beta.  At that time, I'll be starting a new thread for it.

@linuxgurugamer I have some other personal changes that I made to the mod that include rebalancing the various wedge's weights to make it easier to install them without creating massive amounts of torque. I also did some rebalancing on the TAC life support resource amounts that I felt made things a lot easier to calculate and understand the length of time they will last as well as all wedges providing the same length of life support.

I didn't share them because I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to share such big changes. However, if desired I can share them and you can decide what to do with it.

6 hours ago, Sandriell said:

@linuxgurugamer I have some other personal changes that I made to the mod that include rebalancing the various wedge's weights to make it easier to install them without creating massive amounts of torque. I also did some rebalancing on the TAC life support resource amounts that I felt made things a lot easier to calculate and understand the length of time they will last as well as all wedges providing the same length of life support.

I didn't share them because I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to share such big changes. However, if desired I can share them and you can decide what to do with it.

I'd like to see them.  One of the issues I saw was incorrect attach nodes, I've adjusted them and will be looking for feedback on how it works, seeing your changes will be helpful as well

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'd like to see them.  One of the issues I saw was incorrect attach nodes, I've adjusted them and will be looking for feedback on how it works, seeing your changes will be helpful as well

Here is the changes I made.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////   Rebalance mass and resource amounts to to make craft building easier.
///////////   Sandriell - https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/165509-sandriell/
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

@PART[USMatBayWedge,USGuidanceComputer,USRTGWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.1
}

@PART[USFluidSpectroWedge,USAccelGravWedge,USThermoBaroWedge,USGooBayWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.05
}

@PART[USSabatier,USWaterPurifier,USFuelCellMedium,USElektron]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.2
}

@PART[USOxygenWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.034

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 11104;22208;33312;44416
		@initialResourceAmounts = 11104;22208;33312;44416
		@tankMass = 0;0.045;0.094;0.153
	}
}

@PART[USFoodWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.069

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 110;220;330;440
		@initialResourceAmounts = 110;220;330;440
		@tankMass = 0.000;0.094;0.188;0.282
	}
}

@PART[USWaterWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.077

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 72.5;145;217.5;290
		@initialResourceAmounts = 72.5;145;217.5;290
		@tankMass = 0;0.103;0.205;0.308
	}
}

@PART[USSolidWasteWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.05

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 20;40;60;80
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0
		@tankMass = 0;0.1;0.2;0.3
	}
}

@PART[USGreyWaterWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.075

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 185;370;555;740
	}
}

@PART[USCarbonDioxideWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.025

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 19182.5;38365;57547.5;76730
	}
}

@PART[USComboLifesupportWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.015

%RESOURCE[Food]
	{
		@name = Food
		@amount = 55
		@maxAmount = 55
	}

%RESOURCE[Oxygen]
	{
		@name = Oxygen
		@amount = 5552
		@maxAmount = 5552
	}

%RESOURCE[Water]
	{
		@name = Water
		@amount = 36.25
		@maxAmount = 36.25
	}
}

@PART[USHydrazineWedge]:FINAL
{
	@mass = 0.015

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 27.5;55;82.5;110
		@initialResourceAmounts = 27.5;55;82.5;110
		@tankMass = 0;0.015;0.030;0.045
	}
}

Additionally the patch I shared earlier to add cryo-support also has mass changes to rebalance the fuel wedge. Here is the updated version with those changes.

///////////   Expand fuel options and add support to the fuel tank wedge for LqdHydrogen and LqdMethane added by CryoTanks
///////////   Sandriell - https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/165509-sandriell/

@PART[USAerozineWedge]:NEEDS[CryoTanks]
{
	@title = Universal Storage: Fuel Tank
	@description = Fuel tank built in wedge format to be mounted to Universal Storage cores. Capable of holding Liquid Fuel as well as cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Methane, all with or without Oxidizer. Cryogenic fuels will require a small amount of electric charge to prevent boil-off. Fuel may be refueled via lines, or the entire wedge can be removed on EVA and replaced with new equipment or storage.  Four size variants are available.
	@mass = 0.015

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@SwitchID = 0;1
		@resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer|LiquidFuel;LiquidFuel;LiquidFuel;LiquidFuel|LqdHydrogen,Oxidizer;LqdHydrogen,Oxidizer;LqdHydrogen,Oxidizer;LqdHydrogen,Oxidizer|LqdHydrogen;LqdHydrogen;LqdHydrogen;LqdHydrogen|LqdMethane,Oxidizer;LqdMethane,Oxidizer;LqdMethane,Oxidizer;LqdMethane,Oxidizer|LqdMethane;LqdMethane;LqdMethane;LqdMethane
		@resourceAmounts = 10,12;20,24;30,36;40,48|22;44;66;88|105,7;225,15;345,23;450,30|165;330;495;660|40,8;90,18;130,26;165,33|110;220;330;440
		@initialResourceAmounts = 10,12;20,24;30,36;40,48|22;44;66;88|105,7;225,15;345,23;450,30|165;330;495;660|40,8;90,18;130,26;165,33|110;220;330;440
		@tankCost = 0;35;70;105|0;35;70;105|0;35;70;105|0;35;70;105|0;35;70;105|0;35;70;105
		@tankMass = 0;0.015;0.030;0.045|0;0.015;0.030;0.045|0;0.015;0.030;0.045|0;0.015;0.030;0.045|0;0.015;0.030;0.045|0;0.015;0.030;0.045
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USSwitchControl
		SwitchID = 1
		ButtonName = #autoLOC_US_FuelVariants
		CurrentVariantTitle = #autoLOC_US_FuelVariants
		ShowPreviousButton = False
		ObjectNames = #LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_lfox;#LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_lf;#LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_lh2ox;#LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_lh2;#LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_methalox;#LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_methane
		FuelSwitchModeTwo = True
		ModuleDisplayName = #autoLOC_US_TankOptions
		VariantColors = #bfa760,#3399cc;#bfa760,#bfa760;#99ccff,#3399cc;#99ccff,#99ccff;#00bf8f,#3399cc;#00bf8f,#00bf8f
	}

MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		CoolingEnabled = False
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdHydrogen
			// in % per hr
			BoiloffRate = 0.05
			CoolingCost = 0.09
		}
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdMethane
			// in % per hr
			BoiloffRate = 0.005
			CoolingCost = 0.045
		}
	}
}

Edited by Sandriell
Fixed boiloff for methane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.