Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

On 8/24/2018 at 2:42 PM, petlahk said:

Hello. Universal Storage 2 is listed as on CKAN on spacedock, however it never shows up in the CKAN listing. I have deleted and reinstalled CKAN several times, used the atuo-updater, even going so far as to completely reinstall KSP. It appears that it's just not in the list, but the old Universal Storage is.

Could you help me with this?

Please don't bother mod authors with CKAN questions. Ask here instead:

In this case, the mod is marked as compatible only with KSP 1.4.5 (CKAN uses SpaceDock's version info). My guess is you have a different version.

15 minutes ago, commanderbunbun said:

Has anyone been having issues with the Batteries? I don't see the charger on the batteries.

Can you give me more detail of the problem?

I haven't found any issues with using the batteries to power things or charging the batteries with a fuel cell.

Also if you are using any other mods please list them.

23 hours ago, StevieC said:

Small suggestion on wedge modules: N-height storage modules should have capacity slightly more than that of N single-height units storing the same resource, reflecting how some of the space in that many single-height modules is filled by the tank walls, and therefore not free to hold more of the resource being stored?

I thought about that, and Universal Storage 1 took that approach.  But I didn't want game mechanics to prevent choice of craft design, so as much as possible everything balances linearly. This applies to UvSII parts vs Stock parts, cost, mass and capacity are an exact match.  It's also much easier to balance as there isn't any broken configuration.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, H0FF1 said:

Great Mod, but can you Add the MiniAVC into the Mod?

If you subscribe to the mod on Space Dock you will be notified (email) every time a new version is published.  That's much easier for us to manage than having a separate step to keep AVC up to date.

36 minutes ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Can you give me more detail of the problem?

I haven't found any issues with using the batteries to power things or charging the batteries with a fuel cell. 

Also if you are using any other mods please list them.

Well, the batteries in single, double, triple and quad don't seem to have a any power to them. However when you are in VAB, it shows a charger on them.

Here is a list of the mods 

KSP: 1.4.5 (Win64) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Windows 7  (6.1.7600) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.6
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.6.7
Toolbar - 1.7.17.11
USI Tools - 
ToolbarControl - 0.1.6.10
Airplane Plus - 23.0
AoA Tech - 
Aviation Lights - 4.0.5
B9 Animation Modules - 1.2.3
B9 Part Switch - 2.3.3
B9 Aerospace - 6.5.1
B9 Aerospace HX Parts - 6.5.1
B9 Aerospace Legacy Parts - 6.5.1
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.50
BD Animation Modules - 0.6.5.4
BDArmory - 1.2.2.2
BDModularMissileParts - 
Chatterer Extended - 0.6.2
Chatterer - 0.9.95.2110
Community Category Kit - 3.0
Community Resource Pack - 0.10
CommunityTechTree - 3.3.2
Connected Living Space - 1.2.6.2
Contract Configurator - 1.25
CorrectCOL - 1.6.4.1
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.12
Contract Parser - 1.0.7
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.1
Progress Parser - 1.0.8
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.8.6767.274
Firespitter - 7.9
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 3.6.4.1
JSIPartUtilities - 0.4.2
RasterPropMonitor - 0.30.5
KAS-1.0 - 1.0.6722.1282
Kerbal Foundries - 
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.4
KerbalKonstructs - 1.4.5.4
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.14.6773.33741
Kopernicus
KronalVesselViewer - 0.0.9.2
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.2.0.2
KSPWheel - 0.11.9.27
M-ISPx2 - 0.0.3
Infernal Robotics - 3.0
Infernal Robotics ActiveStruts - 3.0
Infernal Robotics Sequencer - 3.0
Mk1-Cabin-Hatch - 0.2
MOARdV's Avionics Systems - 0.21.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.5
NearFutureProps - 0.3.3
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.12
NEBULA_DecalsContinued - 0.1.1.6
OPT Legacy Spaceplane Parts - 1.1.1
OPT Reconfig - 1.2.3
Part Angle Display - 0.3.3.5
PatchManager - 0.0.16
PEBKAC Launch Escape - 1.4
PhysicsRangeExtender - 1.7
Procedural Parts - 1.3.15
QuizTechAeroPackContinued - 1.3.13
RetractableLiftingSurface - 0.1.5.2
SCANsat - 1.1.8.7
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 1.0.5
SXTContinued - 0.3.23.7
TextureReplacer - 3.2
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.5.2.1
ToadicusToolsContinued - 0.22.3.1
TweakableEverything - 0.1.24.2
TweakScale - 2.3.12
USI-LS - 0.9
Universal Storage - 1.4
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.15.2
VesselViewerContinued - 0.8.7
World Stabilizer - 0.9.2

9 hours ago, commanderbunbun said:

Well, the batteries in single, double, triple and quad don't seem to have a any power to them. However when you are in VAB, it shows a charger on them.

Here is a list of the mods...

Sorry, I can't recreate that problem, I'm able to use the batteries as normal (Universal Storage II and Hyper edit are the only mods I'm running to test).

I'm not sure what a charger is though, it doesn't sound like something in stock, which makes me think one of the other mods is changing the way batteries work.

Awesome work @Paul Kingtiger & Co, looking great!

Having a couple of minor issues/questions though with trying to recreate a NEOS-compatible experiment storage wedge using UV2.

Firstly, the original (UV[1]) wedge uses MM to :REQUIRES[UniversalStorage]. Unfortuantely UV2 has the same  name, so the old wedge tries to get instantiated but fails because obviously the actual model file isn't installed, and leaves error spam in the log file. Any particular reason the UV2 DLL / internal name wasn't changed to "UniversalStorage2" as well?

Mostly, my question is about creating a new UV2 compatible wedge. I'd like to base it off the water wedge (USWaterWedge) but not sure how I  can copy the part and lock it to a single height variant as well as removing the actual  water resource. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

1 hour ago, micha said:

Any particular reason the UV2 DLL / internal name wasn't changed to "UniversalStorage2" as well?

Not paying enough attention, basically, :sticktongue:.

The next update will change the name of the assembly to UniversalStorage2.dll (along with support for the updated Orbital Science parts), so that MM won't get the two confused. Maybe next week, as everyone is a little busy this week.

1 hour ago, micha said:

I'd like to base it off the water wedge (USWaterWedge) but not sure how I  can copy the part and lock it to a single height variant as well as removing the actual  water resource. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

You mean that you want to create a new part that points to the WaterWedge mu file? Locking it to the single height variant would take some specific setup with the modules, I would have to look into it, but I think you might be able to get away with only adding a USMeshSwitch module that specifies the single height variant:

MODEL
	{
		model = UniversalStorage2/Parts/Lifesupport/WaterWedge
		scale = 1, 1, 1
	}

NODE
	{
		name = attach
		transform = attach
		size = 0
		method = HINGE_JOINT
	}

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		cube = A0, 0.3431,0.7578,0.6327, 0.3432,0.8309,0.4578, 0.2848,0.9538,0.4575, 0.2848,0.9559,0.4198, 0.242,0.6476,0.4997, 0.2427,0.6366,0.5973, 0.01869,0.188,0, 0.5435,0.4862,0.7954
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USMeshSwitch
		SwitchID = 0
		MeshTransforms = WaterWedgeSingle
		AffectColliders = True
		DeleteUnused = True
	}

The MODEL node points to the .mu file, and the drag cube is needed so that it has the right drag values for only the single height variant.

Without any other US modules that should make the part start out in the single height variant and not allow any changes (USMeshSwitch doesn't contain any user-end functions by itself; SwitchID won't do anything in this case, but it has to be included in the config or the module wont work right). Then you can setup the rest of the part config like any other part.

13 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Without any other US modules that should make the part start out in the single height variant and not allow any changes (USMeshSwitch doesn't contain any user-end functions by itself; SwitchID won't do anything in this case, but it has to be included in the config or the module wont work right). Then you can setup the rest of the part config like any other part.

Awesome, thanks! I just needed an example as I wasn't sure how I could strip out the other variants.  Presumably I can use the 'A1' drag cube and 'WaterWedgeDouble' instead if I want it to be double-height?

6 minutes ago, micha said:

Presumably I can use the 'A1' drag cube and 'WaterWedgeDouble' instead if I want it to be double-height?

Yes, though the editor part icon will always only show the single height variant. The others are tagged with Icon_Hidden which prevents them from being shown in the icons.

5 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Yes, though the editor part icon will always only show the single height variant. The others are tagged with Icon_Hidden which prevents them from being shown in the icons.

Hmm, that's not quite working - it's always the 4-height variant irrespective of what 'MeshTransforms' is set to.

Actually, on  closer inspection, it's displaying all 4 variants at the same time.

9 minutes ago, micha said:

Hmm, that's not quite working - it's always the 4-height variant irrespective of what 'MeshTransforms' is set to.

Oh, duh, that's because it doesn't know which meshes to turn off.

You have to set the line to:

MeshTransforms = WaterWedgeSingle;WaterWedgeDouble;WaterWedgeTriple;WaterWedgeQuad

then set:

CurrentSelection = 0

Change the selection to whichever height you want, starting from 0.

You could use USDragSwitch to specify which of the included drag cubes to use (using the same CurrentSelection line to specify which variant), but it would accomplish the same thing as just deleting all of the unused drag cubes. If you were to delete all of the drag cubes from the part config then they would be automatically generated by KSP and you would end up with the drag cube for the four-high variant.

The basic structure is that the USSwitchControl module provides the UI for all of the variant switching and triggers all of the other modules. It has a SwitchID field which is used to identify it.

Then you have the US***Switch modules. These also have SwitchID fields which are used to register which USSwitchControl they are controlled by.

When you switch to a different variant in the editor each US**Switch module with the matching SwitchID has its respective CurrentSelection field set and updates whatever it controls (active mesh, part cost, mass, attach nodes, resource setup, drag cubes, etc...).

Then when you move to the flight scene each US**Switch module updates to its selected version using the CurrentSelection field, which is persistent.

Minor issue: it seems that SMURFF does not affect the mass of tanks. As a result (while using SMURFF) stock tanks have much better fuel- mass fractions than beautiful tanks from USII ... Would compatibility with SMURFF be possible? Or should I post this in SMURFF thread?

Edited by Walker

Small suggestion:

The 'lock bays' option (or however it's written) doesn't make it clear that this serves to seal the bays and can't be unlocked in-flight.

I kinda guessed what this meant, but I did just create a test ship to make sure this was the function and it wasn't doing something else.

Maybe something clearer, if a little more verbose, might be in order?

Something like "Seal payload bay during flight" as an on / off toggle?

11 hours ago, H0FF1 said:

Really nice mod. But why exactly did you Released a Second Version of Universal Storage? Why not Updating the Original Mod?

Considering how much we changed, and how much other mods relied on the older version, we thought it was a better idea to keep them separate. The last thing we wanted to do is corrupt everyone's saves, break Dmagic's mods, and make people read through an old forum post that was four years old for info that isn't relevant anymore. Starting fresh was the best way for everyone :)

16 hours ago, Cooper42 said:

Small suggestion: The 'lock bays' option (or however it's written) doesn't make it clear that this serves to seal the bays and can't be unlocked in-flight. I kinda guessed what this meant, but I did just create a test ship to make sure this was the function and it wasn't doing something else.

Maybe something clearer, if a little more verbose, might be in order? Something like "Seal payload bay during flight" as an on / off toggle?

Thanks for the feedback, we'll look into making it clearer. 

On 9/1/2018 at 12:55 AM, Walker said:

Minor issue: it seems that SMURFF does not affect the mass of tanks. As a result (while using SMURFF) stock tanks have much better fuel- mass fractions than beautiful tanks from USII ... Would compatibility with SMURFF be possible? Or should I post this in SMURFF thread?

Probably the SMURFF thread for starters, see what they think :)

Out of curiosity, what's the intended use-case for the Attitude Control Decouplers having a crew passage in the middle?  They're configured as passable with ConnectedLivingSpace so it seems like they're intended to be used that way, but it's hard to think of a spacecraft design where I'd want to jettison part of the crew space, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.  (The only case I can think of is to detach a habitation module and cram everyone into the command capsule for re-entry, but that would also need a CLS-passable heatshield, which I don't have.)

On a related note, Nertea's Near Future Spacecraft mod has a 2.5m monopropellant engine cluster with a crew tube in the middle, and it looks like it's designed for putting a docking port there, but I've always had a hard time coming up with a good way for kerbals to reach the docking port since the engine usually has a fuel tank on top that blocks crew from passing through.  A Universal Storage rack, with its crew tube in the middle and monopropellant tanks in the wedges, fits that need nicely.  :)

6 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Out of curiosity, what's the intended use-case for the Attitude Control Decouplers having a crew passage in the middle?  They're configured as passable with ConnectedLivingSpace so it seems like they're intended to be used that way, but it's hard to think of a spacecraft design where I'd want to jettison part of the crew space, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.  (The only case I can think of is to detach a habitation module and cram everyone into the command capsule for re-entry, but that would also need a CLS-passable heatshield, which I don't have.)

On a related note, Nertea's Near Future Spacecraft mod has a 2.5m monopropellant engine cluster with a crew tube in the middle, and it looks like it's designed for putting a docking port there, but I've always had a hard time coming up with a good way for kerbals to reach the docking port since the engine usually has a fuel tank on top that blocks crew from passing through.  A Universal Storage rack, with its crew tube in the middle and monopropellant tanks in the wedges, fits that need nicely.  :)

Think of something like TKS where the crew can move back through the heatshield into the orbital module. :)

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Think of something like TKS where the crew can move back through the heatshield into the orbital module. :)

I haven't heard of TKS, and Google just finds an old thread from an unfinished mod that looks like it was abandoned 5 years ago.  Is there something that adds CLS-passable heatshields?  They'd go great with the ACDs from Universal Storage, but I don't know of any.

8 hours ago, Wyzard said:

I haven't heard of TKS, and Google just finds an old thread from an unfinished mod that looks like it was abandoned 5 years ago.  Is there something that adds CLS-passable heatshields?  They'd go great with the ACDs from Universal Storage, but I don't know of any.

Sorry, I was referring to the TKS spacecraft, which put a combined habitation/service module behind the reentry capsule and docked at the rear. Incidentally, Tantares has made a KSP version of the TKS but I don't know if the CLS configs are set up. That's easy enough to do through your own MM patch though. :)

640px-TKS_cutaway.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.