Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

You could also have a craft where the command module separates, rotates 108 degrees and docks with a service module, similar to how the Apollo CM docked with the LEM.
I think they were mostly made passable because the model has a hole in the middle and it might be used as such.

In other news, we're close to having the next content update released, it's currently undergoing testing.
The new update will include some UI changes and new parts.  Teaser images to follow.

BTW, I've noticed that the US cylindrical fairings seem a little "squishy" when force is applied to them.  If I have a service core and payload fairing in the middle of my ship, it compresses a little when I turn the engine on, and returns to normal when the engine is off.  It doesn't happen with the probe core alone, only when it's in the fairing.

(On an unrelated note: when the 2.5m cylindrical fairing is in "payload bay" mode, its inside ceiling has a ring of missing faces, and some additional missing faces near the hinges.  The 1.25m one has some missing faces on the inside of the doors in "payload bay" mode, near the corners of the corrugated panels.)

Looking forward to new parts!  :)

I'm using... whatever part of this mod that made it into Kerbalism and it's having issues with drag.

I build a very aerodynamic electric rover that reaches about 54 m/s on the runway using batteries. If I swap the batteries out for 2 Universal Storage Quadcores containing 4xH, 2xO, and 2 fuel cells, the top speed is drops to about 40 m/s by the end of the runway, even though it fits seamlessly with the rest of the body of the rover. That's a pretty significant 25% drag induced drop. Opening or closing the farings in the Universal Storage modules has no effect.

Adding a small fairing around the Universal Storage parts makes the rover pick up higher speeds again, so I think this is pretty conclusive.

Edited by Tricky14

@tricky14  If you are using DMagic Orbital Science with Kerbalism but not Universal Storage the Dmagic US wedges will show up (unless you delete the US folder) but will not have proper support in  the game.   That could be your drag problem.

21 hours ago, Wyzard said:

BTW, I've noticed that the US cylindrical fairings seem a little "squishy" when force is applied to them.  If I have a service core and payload fairing in the middle of my ship, it compresses a little when I turn the engine on, and returns to normal when the engine is off.  It doesn't happen with the probe core alone, only when it's in the fairing.

(On an unrelated note: when the 2.5m cylindrical fairing is in "payload bay" mode, its inside ceiling has a ring of missing faces, and some additional missing faces near the hinges.  The 1.25m one has some missing faces on the inside of the doors in "payload bay" mode, near the corners of the corrugated panels.)

Looking forward to new parts!  :)

It's the nature of the beast i'm afraid - if this was the old version every single wedge would compress upwards under stress and clip into each other.

I think it's node sizes vs what it should be for the diameter of the parts, we just need them smaller because everything else is a little more granular. Having expandable cores and wedges to reduce that vertical stacking we used to have to do should have reduced that compression, but the game isn't a super perfect simulator :) A few struts should help, i hope. 

Urgh so many holes in my old parts, the whole lot needs going over with a fine toothed comb! I'll have a look soon :confused:

3 hours ago, jpkerman said:

@tricky14  If you are using DMagic Orbital Science with Kerbalism but not Universal Storage the Dmagic US wedges will show up (unless you delete the US folder) but will not have proper support in  the game.   That could be your drag problem.

I'm not. I'm presently not even sure how Universal Storage got onto my computer. Folks at the Kerbalism thread are claiming US isn't part of Kerbalism. I have like 3 mods installed, so it must have been an accidental click in CKAN.

9 minutes ago, Tricky14 said:

I'm not. I'm presently not even sure how Universal Storage got onto my computer. Folks at the Kerbalism thread are claiming US isn't part of Kerbalism. I have like 3 mods installed, so it must have been an accidental click in CKAN.

Could you provide a craft file, if it's only US2 and stock? I'll see what's happening on my end. 

Just realized something - are you using the old version? Wedges with black and white stripes on the outside? They are sized to the 1.25m radius but are terrible with the drag system. 

Sorry, I've already removed it. It's a cool mod, but I never intended to install it it, I just assumed it was part of Kerbalism. I'm reinstalling things now to see where it went wrong. Yeah it seems to be the old version. Again, NO idea how I got hold of this. User error.

Edited by Tricky14

45 minutes ago, commanderbunbun said:

Well, I did a clean install modulemanager with this mod, the batteries don't seem to hold a charge. Once I reinstall US2 on a clean KSP without the modulemanager, the batteries will hold a charge.

Are you using any other mods? Maybe try just US2 and Module Manager. Maybe another mod is messing with batteries using a config that's enabled by module manager?

49 minutes ago, commanderbunbun said:

Well, I did a clean install modulemanager with this mod, the batteries don't seem to hold a charge. Once I reinstall US2 on a clean KSP without the modulemanager, the batteries will hold a charge.

I think we'll need more information (KSP, MM versions, etc.). Follow this: How To Get Support (READ FIRST) - Technical Support (PC, modded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Well, here is the list of mods installed and my output log so far. I am testing each mod with US2 and MM to see which one is causing the issue.

MM version 3.0.7

KSP(64bit) 1.4.5 with Making History DLC

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3zsvf1kt6umz8j/modlist.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp3rnn1hl3d0ao4/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by commanderbunbun

2 hours ago, commanderbunbun said:

Well, here is the list of mods installed and my output log so far. I am testing each mod with US2 and MM to see which one is causing the issue.

MM version 3.0.7

KSP(64bit) 1.4.5 with Making History DLC

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3zsvf1kt6umz8j/modlist.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp3rnn1hl3d0ao4/output_log.txt?dl=0

You have lots of errors in that log file, including multiple versions of the same mod.  I'm wondering if there's an incompatibility there?

How are you installing your mods; manually or CKAN?  If manually, I suggest starting as you're doing from a clean install of KSP, add US2 and MM, check for errors, but then add half your mods from scratch.  If no error, then remove them and add the second half.  See what happens.

Can you post a screenshot of your GameData directory?

Universal Storage 2 will be very limited without MM installed, I haven't done any testing of the mod without ModuleManager (which is bundled with the download on SpaceDock).

Looking at the log file, you have Universal Storage and Universal Storage 2 installed, which is fine.  You also have DMagic Orbital Science installed, which is compatible with US but not with UvSii (yet, support is coming n the next Orbital Science update).

I can't find any errors for either Universal Storage mod in the log file, so I don't think that is what is causing the problem.  Useful tip:  Load the log file in Notepad++, then use the Find function [ctrl]+[f], search for 'Universal Storage' and select find all in current document.  It will give you every line containing 'Universal Storage' and you can view each line to see what the log output is.

image.png

These mods are throwing errors in the log file.  I don't know enough about them to say if the error is something to worry about, but based on what is being effected I think Interstellar Fuel Switch might be causing your issues.  Fuel switch would need modue manager to change UvSii parts so that might be why you don't see the problem when you remove MM.

• InterstellarFuelSwitch
  • USI Life Support
  • Window Shine

I haven't tested UvSii with Fuel Switch but I'll give it a go with just those 2 mods and see what happens.  I have tested the mod with USI life support so you shouldn't have any issues there.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Looking through the output log, I did find something interesting in it. Line 198277 states the following: 

Line 198277: PartLoader: Part 'UniversalStorage2/Parts/Electrical/BatteryWedge/USBatteryWedge' has no database record. Creating.

Not sure if it is related to my issue, but it is something that I found interesting to note.

Fixed Found:

I think that I have found the fix. It looks like KRnD was the issue. By adding USFuelSwitch to the blacklist. It fixed the issue with the battery. Now, I have to add the rest to the module from US2 to the blacklist. 

Edited by commanderbunbun
Fixed found

• 2 weeks later...

I recognize that the Hydrogene Tank (one height) is a bit to big and clips with its sorundings, it also seems that the node is al little to high.
The other 1 height Tanks (Monoprop) also seems to be a little to big, if you place them in one row above each other they clip into each other.

Edited by DianonForce

Just took this out for a spin with KIS, and found a possible bug...

Using KIS, I installed a single height 1.25m size core rack in an open cargo bay while in orbit, then attached several science instruments to it. It seems to think that it's in atmosphere or landed, despite being 125km above Kerbin's surface. Has anyone encountered this before?

Edited by MaverickSawyer

46 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Just took this out for a spin with KIS, and found a possible bug...

Using KIS, I installed a single height 1.25m size core rack in an open cargo bay while in orbit, then attached several science instruments to it. It seems to think that it's in atmosphere or landed, despite being 125km above Kerbin's surface. Has anyone encountered this before?

See OP.

DMagic Orbital Science Not currently working, Orbital Science will be updated to be compatible soon.