Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

Just now, Kerbal007 said:

Sorry @Daishi its prob just my understanding of construction. It seems I can put stuff in there if i set the snap to the circle option 

Oh yeah, angle snap mucks up smaller part attachment - forgot about that. >.<

12 hours ago, Daishi said:

Thank you! It would be cool, but I want to get the 1.8m shrouds and bulk tanks done first before I start looking at increasing the size of my parts, sorry. 

funny, i tend to ignore the 1.8m because it gets messy integrating Universal storage with them, so that's great too :D

So, I'm back playing KSP after focusing on other games and hobbies for a while. This is nice to see bigger and better than ever and very very pretty.

Skimming the thread looking at some of the feature requests, it struck me that some players might appreciate a half core/half fairing not unlike a bomb bay or equipment bay on aircraft for the Mk1 and Mk2 fuselage sections. A conventional bay with outward opening doors for the Mk1 with a rotary bay not unlike that on the Buccaneer would probably be nice for the Mk2. 

Edit:

Space for 1-3 of the wedges with perhaps the wedge mount for each section extending out to put the payload in the air stream. 

Edited by Montieth

21 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

What other mods do you have installed?

this is the AVC list(114) in ckan thers 127

KSP: 1.6 (Win64) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.6.2
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.6.10
Filter Extensions - 3.2.2.15
Toolbar - 1.7.17.15
UI Core - 1.0.1.3
USI Tools - 0.12
ToolbarControl - 0.1.6.20
AllYAllContinued - 0.11.16.3
Action Group Manager - 2.2.4
Astrogator - 0.9
AutomatedScreenshots - 0.8.4.3
B9 Part Switch - 2.6
Bob's Panic Box - 0.0.1.18
Bon Voyage - 0.14.3
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Community Category Kit - 4.0
Community Resource Pack - 1.0
CommunityTechTree - 3.3.6
Community Trait Icons - 1.0.2
Contract Configurator - 1.27.1
Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor - 1.7.1
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: CommNet Relays - 2.0.2
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.7.1.2
Contract Pack: Grand Tour Contracts - 0.1.10.3
Rover Missions - 0.1.7
Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts - 0.3.27
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.5.2
Contract Reward Modifier - 1.0.2.6
CorrectCOL - 1.6.4.3
CrewRandR - 1.1.9.1
CryoEngines - 0.6.5
CryoTanks - 1.1.1
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.19
DangIt - 0.7.18.2
DatedQuickSaves - 1.2.3.3
Deadly Reentry - 7.7.1
DSCore - 3.0.6
Airline Kuisine - 2.2.2
DeployableEngines - 1.0
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.4.2
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.10
Contract Parser - 1.0.8
Progress Parser - 1.0.10
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.4
EVAFuelContinued - 1.6.5.3
ExperimentTracker - 1.3.4.3
Firespitter - 7.11
Flight Plan - 1.0.6.3
GCMonitor - 1.4.9
GroundConstruction - 2.2
Impact - 1.6.4
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.4.6
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.1.2.4
KAS - 1.1.6876.38030
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.2.9.5
KerbalAtomics - 0.5.5
KerbalChangelog - 1.1.2
KerbalChangelog - 1.1.4
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.5.7
KerbalLaunchFailure - 0.4.10.3
HyperEdit - 1.5.8
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.18.6971.42939
kOS - 1.1.5.2
KRASH - 0.5.29.7
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.2.0.7
KSPRescuePodFix - 1.5.3.13
LoadingTipsPlus - 1.7
MagiCore - 1.3.1.4
ManeuverQueue - 0.4.6.2
MechJebForAll - 1.3.0.5
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.8.2
NearFutureElectrical - 0.10.6
NearFuturePropulsion - 1.0.7
PatchManager - 0.0.16.4
PEBKAC Launch Escape - 1.4.1
Photon Sailor - 1.4.6.3
Portrait Stats - 1.0.17
QuickSearch - 3.2.3
QuickStart - 2.1.6.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.7.4
ResonantOrbitCalculator - 0.0.4
SCANsat - 1.1.8.10
ScienceAlert - 1.9.5.4
ScrapYard - 1.1.1
Oh Scrap - 1.5.1.1
ShowFPS - 0.2.0.3
KerbalSlingShotter - 1.1.6.9
SmartParts - 1.9.13.3
SmartStage - 2.9.11.2
StageRecovery - 1.9.0.7
StationScienceContinued - 2.4.2
Strategia - 1.7.3
Surface Experiment Package - 2.7
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.20
Tracking Station Evolved - 1.0.4.1
Trajectories - 2.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.10
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.3
USI Core - 0.7
Konstruction - 0.5
USI-LS - 0.9
Malemute Rover - 0.6
MKS - 0.55
Universal Storage 2 - 1.5.1.9
Unmanned before Manned - 1.3.0.2
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.16
Waypoint Manager - 2.7.5
IVA Kerbal Identifier - 1.0.6
OSE Workshop - 1.2.4
World Stabilizer - 0.9.3
[x] Science! - 5.17.1

On 2/3/2019 at 11:44 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

What other mods do you have installed?

i did  test using only US2 (new download from spacedock)

mod list

F50Yedx.png

but it still wont work

nMH4jM3.png

log

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZl7AK7ZSk6J4mXqJUyIBSXsJvB1o07NRv3k

itresting part in log

[RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BaseConverter.GetBestDeltaTime (Double deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseConverter.GetDeltaTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by danielboro

Awesome mod, the animations of version 2 are perfect!

Just a small thing that happens when applying force to the service core, I guess; it sinks into the lower parts like this (I recall it was a thing back in version 1 in 2014, so maybe I'm missing something) :

Spoiler

No time warp

0UbRb49.jpg

Physical x 2

PCOhSDu.jpg

Physical x 3

6iDqd0V.jpg

Something related to node strength, I guess. Not too much of an issue, but it seems silly to add struts next to the sturdy looking service core.

In terms of physics altering mods, I use FAR and DR, but it also happens in vacuum, so I guess that it is not related.

4 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

Awesome mod, the animations of version 2 are perfect!

Just a small thing that happens when applying force to the service core, I guess; it sinks into the lower parts like this (I recall it was a thing back in version 1 in 2014, so maybe I'm missing something) :

Yes it's always been a problem, specifically with the quad core / 4 bay service core.  It's fixed in the next release, or you can download the patch using the link below, which should fix the issue for you (drop the GameData folder in your KSP instal as usual, let it overwrite any files it wants to). https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvmqbLkW8UIH2ZZ-0hwS1f0uEcsTTQ

7 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

It's fixed in the next release, or you can download the patch using the link below, which should fix the issue for you

Awesome! That was rather annoying and might have affected aerodynamics... I tested the exact same rocket, it didn't move at all during the whole launching.

By the way, thanks for providing the Notepad++ MM config in your cfg, I didn't know its existence, that's going to be incredibly handy.

Hmm. How odd, AVC is now telling me that my universal storage II is out of date and the newest version is 1.6.0.9 but CKAN says I have that version. Also this wasn't popping up last week and I downloaded USII only like a month ago.

Weird.

51 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

Hmm. How odd, AVC is now telling me that my universal storage II is out of date and the newest version is 1.6.0.9 but CKAN says I have that version. Also this wasn't popping up last week and I downloaded USII only like a month ago.

Weird.

You have the 1.6.0.9 version (most likely). The VERSION file meant for AVC to do its job was not updated for that version, but it will be in the next one. Source : Paul Kingtiger

As for why it didn't show before, that is likely related to your use of either CKAN or AVC, as USii wasn't modified last week as far as I know.

Hey, @Paul Kingtiger, I was playing around with the conical US fairings, and I had an idea.

What do you think of a parachute wedge?  That would slot nicely into the size 1 to size 0 conical fairing.  I know you could just attach a radial parachute, but it's not as clean looking, and besides, you could make that argument about all of the wedge parts.  I think a wedge version of the Mk 16 parachute would be really handy.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Hey, @Paul Kingtiger, I was playing around with the conical US fairings, and I had an idea.

What do you think of a parachute wedge?  That would slot nicely into the size 1 to size 0 conical fairing.  I know you could just attach a radial parachute, but it's not as clean looking, and besides, you could make that argument about all of the wedge parts.  I think a wedge version of the Mk 16 parachute would be really handy.

I second this.

Having played with TACLS + US2, I noticed that there's a bit of a gap in the resource recycling wedge selection: there's no CO2 -> O2 converter. It's rather unfortunate, since the US2 resource wedges look so much better than the TACLS parts. Is this a planned part?

Also, it would be really interesting & maybe even useful to have solar panel and/or antenna wedges. They'd definitely look better than the stock options, judging by the models so far!

7 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Having played with TACLS + US2, I noticed that there's a bit of a gap in the resource recycling wedge selection: there's no CO2 -> O2 converter. It's rather unfortunate, since the US2 resource wedges look so much better than the TACLS parts. Is this a planned part?

Also, it would be really interesting & maybe even useful to have solar panel and/or antenna wedges. They'd definitely look better than the stock options, judging by the models so far!

You need to use the Sabatier reactor to process CO2 and H2 into water, then split the water into O2 and H2 using the Elektron.

Back at KSP after a bit of break, at that time US-II was still in development and I'm delighted to see the full release as I started a new GPP game. I usually play with USI life support but all the US-II parts for TAC LS made me try that out instead.

Just want to say thank you for the fantastic work to the devs!

I think theres already been some discussion about RCS options but I've found some workarounds for good looking Apollo craft.

a 3 segment core together with a compact CSM from BDB makes a very proportionate craft with more delta V than a 4 segment US-II only design and with RCS mounting position on the body.

0cbgVmNl.png

Compact CSM from BDB combined with 4 segment USII Core also makes for a very nicely proportioned (modified) AARDVARK

W81YhIll.png

BUQLYkul.png

Surprise that the small stock radiator fit without clipping, decided to shove one in to pair with the sabatier.

LFAF0lol.png

Suffice to say I'm thoroughly enjoying this!

Edited by Zorg

One more post from me on US2 and BDB synergy. I wanted to build a Gemini with extended life support mission endurance to occasionally send a Gemini out to the moons instead of an Apollo.

The tapered fairing is perfect for this of course. I managed to load it up with quite a bit of LS and Monoprop (though I would normally limit qtys to about 2 months for missions). I wanted RCS points so that meant configuring it and locking the bays down. Nothing deployable in there. The cylindrical 0.625m CSM is great for a nose extension for science instruments.

3NtSHsPh.png

Of course the problem is the lack of an orbital maneuvering engine... Coatl/Probes Plus came to the rescue with the "Jib" monoprop engine. Unfortunately 2 engines didnt give me enough oomph so I sacrificed historical accuracy and used 4 of them.

Note: The PentaCore makes it a bit hard to balance out the loads to avoid torque which can be annoying especially on a low TWR craft like this. RCS Build aid is quite helpful to eliminate this issue when loading out.

skgZSClh.png

Locked down the bays and added the RCS in the proper positions. As configured its about a ton heavier than the BDB csm but only about 100m/s less Delta V (center core is also Monoprop). Not bad given the additional life support supplies and batteries. 

BdL622eh.png

The US2 tapered fairing looks pretty awesome in action! Also always upgrade your Geminis to X-wings.The Titan II can get this into orbit but I guess a Titan III will be needed for moon missions.

8CzGxjkh.png

pIP6wUNh.png

Unlike the Apollo size cylindrical fairing the Gemini fairing doesnt seem to detect obstructions so you can actually clip through the solar panels and RCS but I consider this cheating so I keep the bays locked down :P

7CUrGYbt.png

16 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I wanted RCS points so that meant configuring it and locking the bays down.

It would be interesting and I've never tried, but I can imagine an insane contraption with RCS on the bay doors, opening up to face backwards for maneuvering/thrusting. This only works if the surface attach works, but I imagine it likely doesn't quite work as imagined...

If anyone using USI LS has noticed that the Universal Storage: Recycling Module part doesn't appear to be working, I've put up a gist with a modified config that appears to resolve the issue, the file that you want to modify is "KSPRoot\GameData\UniversalStorage2\Parts\Processors\WaterPurifier.cfg": https://gist.github.com/w3bward/30f281b50234b747dc5d3bdabef82bdc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.