[1.12.5] CRE - Stockalike British Rocketry [2.2][02/03/2021]

Beale

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 5:39 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

I think Beale is putting this mod on ice

On 9/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, Cdodders said:

Anything planned for the future?

That's right for now, I could have a mood to add a few bits in future, but the feeling comes and goes yknow?

4 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

@Beale ,is there a build guide for these rockets?

Unfortunately right now, just the pictures on the main page.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Beale said:

Should also be on CKAN soon - not sure why it didn't go before.

Version 2.1 of this mod was added to CKAN on August 29, 2020:

If someone had trouble finding it, it's possible that they weren't using KSP 1.10.

Edited by HebaruSan
too many ones and zeroes

Europa F-7 + STV (1968-70)

Been thinking where to put this - CRE or KNES (since both mods are essential for this rocket). One coin toss later, here we go.

PelrYOq.png

Europa was the first (and the only) space launcher developed by European Launcher Development Organisation and became one of the least successful programs in history of spaceflight - all four operational launches failed to reach orbit. All except one were launched from Woomera Test Range, the last one was launched from Kourou.

UV5tHzr.png

First stage, the Blue Streak, was developed by United Kingdom and was based on earlier IRBM. It was a Kerolox stage, powered by two Rolls-Royce RZ.2 engines.

UxRtE8r.png

ZzO0ttc.jpg

PyGyaey.png

Glorious RealPlumes.

8scJWws.png

Second stage, the Coralie, was developed by France. It was powered by a cluster of four LRBA Vexin engines and used UDMH\N2O4.

And now, as you can see, things are getting more interesting.

KNES Coralie has some details depicted incorrectly or omitted. First of these is interstage skirt. KNES depicts it as jettisonable, while IRL it remained attached to the stage. The second detail is a small separation motor with a square-shaped heat shield, located in the middle of Vexin cluster. Fortunately, the first two can be easily fixed:

p2sF2EQ.png

1) Build Coralie (C-H125 tank + Penelope engine), disable engine shroud (both halves).

2) Attach BDB's Sergeant  motor at the bottom, disable its shroud.

3) You can try to replicate the heat shield if you have the right part for it. Unfortunately, I don't - things I have are a) wrong size, or b) too heavy, or c) silly-looking.

4) Use Move tool to align the black ring on Sergeant with Vexin throats.

5) Attach K-125 "Kiss" adapter (which is, ironically, shares model and texture with aforementioned shroud) to the Sergeant.

6) Use Move tool to align adapter's top with raceway port on the tank, like on screenshot.

7) To avoid potential separation problems, stack two hollow decouplers (disable the lower one) or use a taller one, for example BDB Gemini decoupler.

8) Enable autostrut and rigid attachment for all parts.

9) I also recommend limiting Vexin thrust to about 60% - default 115 kN is too much for this rocket.

w3llrG3.png

SmvbTdD.png

Some more Coralie shots.

7ZJAfeB.png

Enter the cause of failure of three of four operational launches: Astris, developed by Germany. It was powered by a single main engine (also named Astris) and two small verniers which burned hypergolic propellants. Like Coralie, it flew with part of interstage attached.

vulnRXV.png

Unfortunately, there is no available mod that features Astris stage. Which means we'll have to build it from scratch. Here's how:

2fR0aYi.png

1) Start with CRE Black Arrow Size 1 fuel tank A, then add Restock+ 1.25m hemispherical fuel tank (upside down).

2) Attach BDB Lunar Orbiter probe core, then attach BDB AJ10-118F engine (or other suitable vacuum engine that uses LF+Ox)

3) Use Move tool to aligh AJ10's throat with probe's lower ring.

4) Attach two LV-1R verniers and two Tantares large spherical fuel tanks (or any suitable tanks) on the lower ring in 2x symmetry, as shown above. Use Move to fit them inside the interstage if needed.

5) Attach BDB Juno IV interstage (Short configuration, staging disabled).

GqpnCXL.png

6) Move the probe core up, until the upper plate and all the things attached to it are inside the tank. Small tanks should NOT touch it.

7) Move the interstage up and align it with sherical tank's upper ring (see screenshot).

8) Attach another Juno IV short interstage, with staging enabled this time. Place disabled hollow decoupler(s) under it if your engine needs extra height.

Kmtdc8d.png

Every Europa carried a Satellite Test Vehicle - essentially a 250kg mass simulator\telemetry suite, developed by Italy.

5HPJ4kQ.png

Two OKTO cores and four traffic cones Tantares Lepus antennas, which gives 240kg mass.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoy this mod, thanks for all your hard work Beale.

Unfortunately though, the Black Anvil tanks/engine never worked for me.
It was a bug caused by using CRE with RealFuels. The other tanks were automatically converted by RF, as  RF-Stockalike's 'Fuel_Conversions.cfg' recognised the LiquidFuel & Oxidizer combo & converted them. It didn't recognize the different Liquid Hydrogen definitions & Oxidizer combo.

For a quick hack I just changed the Black Anvil fuel tanks to be Liquid Fuel & Oxidizer.  For extra spice you can edit the CRE engines to run on 'HTP' rather than straight up Oxidizer, which RF assumes to be LOx.

This was my first foray into modding KSP, and I'm not sure how _patch.cfg works so I just dumped the following into all of the relevant part folders:
https://pastebin.com/zGcf3rtA

On 3/8/2021 at 11:44 PM, biohazard15 said:

Europa F-7 + STV (1968-70)

Been thinking where to put this - CRE or KNES (since both mods are essential for this rocket). One coin toss later, here we go.

Hide contents

PelrYOq.png

Europa was the first (and the only) space launcher developed by European Launcher Development Organisation and became one of the least successful programs in history of spaceflight - all four operational launches failed to reach orbit. All except one were launched from Woomera Test Range, the last one was launched from Kourou.

UV5tHzr.png

First stage, the Blue Streak, was developed by United Kingdom and was based on earlier IRBM. It was a Kerolox stage, powered by two Rolls-Royce RZ.2 engines.

UxRtE8r.png

ZzO0ttc.jpg

PyGyaey.png

Glorious RealPlumes.

8scJWws.png

Second stage, the Coralie, was developed by France. It was powered by a cluster of four LRBA Vexin engines and used UDMH\N2O4.

And now, as you can see, things are getting more interesting.

KNES Coralie has some details depicted incorrectly or omitted. First of these is interstage skirt. KNES depicts it as jettisonable, while IRL it remained attached to the stage. The second detail is a small separation motor with a square-shaped heat shield, located in the middle of Vexin cluster. Fortunately, the first two can be easily fixed:

p2sF2EQ.png

1) Build Coralie (C-H125 tank + Penelope engine), disable engine shroud (both halves).

2) Attach BDB's Sergeant  motor at the bottom, disable its shroud.

3) You can try to replicate the heat shield if you have the right part for it. Unfortunately, I don't - things I have are a) wrong size, or b) too heavy, or c) silly-looking.

4) Use Move tool to align the black ring on Sergeant with Vexin throats.

5) Attach K-125 "Kiss" adapter (which is, ironically, shares model and texture with aforementioned shroud) to the Sergeant.

6) Use Move tool to align adapter's top with raceway port on the tank, like on screenshot.

7) To avoid potential separation problems, stack two hollow decouplers (disable the lower one) or use a taller one, for example BDB Gemini decoupler.

8) Enable autostrut and rigid attachment for all parts.

9) I also recommend limiting Vexin thrust to about 60% - default 115 kN is too much for this rocket.

w3llrG3.png

SmvbTdD.png

Some more Coralie shots.

7ZJAfeB.png

Enter the cause of failure of three of four operational launches: Astris, developed by Germany. It was powered by a single main engine (also named Astris) and two small verniers which burned hypergolic propellants. Like Coralie, it flew with part of interstage attached.

vulnRXV.png

Unfortunately, there is no available mod that features Astris stage. Which means we'll have to build it from scratch. Here's how:

2fR0aYi.png

1) Start with CRE Black Arrow Size 1 fuel tank A, then add Restock+ 1.25m hemispherical fuel tank (upside down).

2) Attach BDB Lunar Orbiter probe core, then attach BDB AJ10-118F engine (or other suitable vacuum engine that uses LF+Ox)

3) Use Move tool to aligh AJ10's throat with probe's lower ring.

4) Attach two LV-1R verniers and two Tantares large spherical fuel tanks (or any suitable tanks) on the lower ring in 2x symmetry, as shown above. Use Move to fit them inside the interstage if needed.

5) Attach BDB Juno IV interstage (Short configuration, staging disabled).

GqpnCXL.png

6) Move the probe core up, until the upper plate and all the things attached to it are inside the tank. Small tanks should NOT touch it.

7) Move the interstage up and align it with sherical tank's upper ring (see screenshot).

8) Attach another Juno IV short interstage, with staging enabled this time. Place disabled hollow decoupler(s) under it if your engine needs extra height.

Kmtdc8d.png

Every Europa carried a Satellite Test Vehicle - essentially a 250kg mass simulator\telemetry suite, developed by Italy.

5HPJ4kQ.png

Two OKTO cores and four traffic cones Tantares Lepus antennas, which gives 240kg mass.

I actually saw a real Astris in a museum, it looks kinda like a small LR-91 xD

• 1 month later...

Prospero (aka X-3)

Prospero, the first and only British-built satellite launched on a British-built rocket, was launched from Woomera at 28 October 1971. 

qEW1yqr.png

Interesting bit of trivia: the Black Arrow program was officially cancelled several months before launch. However, permission was given to launch this particular rocket, since it was already shipped to Australia and ready to fly.

uFnrdG1.png

1st stage was powered by a cluster of eight Gamma engines, called Gamma 8 (such imagination, wow). It used RP-1 (fuel) and HTP (oxidizer).

GYI87iM.png

7tg8TL7.jpg

2nd stage ignition.

It should be noted that this particular interstage is greatly simplified in CRE. The actual Black Arrow interstage was made out of 3 parts:

- Lower ring - this stayed attached to 1st stage

- Middle ring, with four Siskin separatrons - separated with 2nd stage and then dropped, just like interstage ring on Saturn V

- Upper ring - this stayed attached to the 2nd stage

Unfortunately, I was unable to remake this due to need of custom-sized parts.

GlXp74r.png

2nd stage used two Gamma engines, called Gamma 2 (such imagination again, double wow).

Xu0Nb2r.png

of69isH.png

Jettisoning fairing during coast period.

1OGbWyG.png

Deploying 3rd solid stage, called Waxwing, with Prospero satellite.

KbCPMX6.png

LJlrvmJ.png

Deploying Prospero.

L6o8oVO.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, i'm currently making configs for european rockets to make them work well in Realisme overhaul/RSS , can you tell me if you used a specific scaling factor for these for size, mass and thrust in order to get them as close as possible to the real thing ?

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, Ludo66X said:

Hello, i'm currently making configs for european rockets to make them work well in Realisme overhaul/RSS , can you tell me if you used a specific scaling factor for these for size, mass and thrust in order to get them as close as possible to the real thing ?

they are roughly 62.5% IRL scale.

The masses will be completely off though, due to the fuel types.

Edited by Beale

• 11 months later...

Hey, I know this thread hasn't been touched in a hot minute. But I wanted to ask if it was ok to post my builds of the launch vehicles from this parts pack? I just thought since there aren't any build instructions or prebuilt craft with this mod, I'd provide downloadable craft on KerbalX so that people can play around with the "stock" rockets from this mod.

I hope that question was worded correctly. I'm tired and my only real weekend for the next 2-3 weeks has become the opposite of a weekend. Again, I'd only do this if I had your permission Mr. @Beale.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ranchoth said:

I can't imagine there'd be any objection—the craft files aren't redistributing any of the mod's assets, and AFAIK, none of the craft on KerbalX have explicit permission from the makers of the mod that created them. (That'd clog the works up, I'd imagine)

In that case, stay tuned folks...

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.