Help! Ship swallowed by Asteroid.

I captured an asteroid with the advanced grabbing unit.  It was fine, until suddenly, my ship was embedded in the asteroid, as in the screen capture below.

So now I'm stuck.  I can't reach the grabbing unit to release the ship.  I can't even get to the lander can to get the pilot out and abandon the vessel!

fjvz7E6.png

10 minutes ago, davidpsummers said:

I captured an asteroid with the advanced grabbing unit.  It was fine, until suddenly, my ship was embedded in the asteroid, as in the screen capture below.

So now I'm stuck.  I can't reach the grabbing unit to release the ship.  I can't even get to the lander can to get the pilot out and abandon the vessel!

OK.  Slight update.  If I scroll _into_ the asteroid I can do actions for the parts inside the asteroid.  That means I can dock another ship and recover the crew at least.  

OTOH, I still can't recover the ship, as releasing the grappling unit (or undocking the module it is in) causes and explosion with destroys the part of the ship inside the asteroid.

16 minutes ago, davidpsummers said:

as releasing the grappling unit (or undocking the module it is in) causes and explosion with destroys the part of the ship inside the asteroid.

You can try to activate 'no crash damage' in the debug menu before releasing the claw, this should prevent the explosion :)

This was a bug in an older version of KSP. I don't quite remember which one, or which version fixed it, off the top of my head.

I see you are playing modded, which means it's likely that you are playing an older version.

In any case -- the point was that every time you switch focus away from the ship/asteroid and then switch back your asteroid will be a different shape.

If you want to get it so that you can undock safely, all you have to do is do that process enough times that the ship is outside of the asteroid and then you will be able to undock.

7 hours ago, FireKerb said:

When did your ship get embedded?

IIRC, was trying to move it while keeping the heading constant and when I switched out of map mode, it was like that.  But I might be misremembering and it was like that when I switched back to it from another vessel.

12 minutes ago, davidpsummers said:

...the ship was thrown clear intact

Glad to hear you managed to escape!  I hadn't (knowingly) hit this bug before, but it probably explains the RUD of one of my ships that was moving an asteroid back around 1.3.1 days.  Something weird happened, certainly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.