I tried to circumnavigate Kerbin the dry way.

Vít Salava

Decided to try the Elcano challenge, built a mad max-ish rover and set off. After like 3km I rolled of a hill, prior to which i tried to repair my solar panels. Not giving up. Second attempt, rolled it 4km further. REDESIGN NEEDED. After a pause. Pictures are here

Edited by Vít Salava
imgur link not working. Again.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:04 AM, TanDeeJay said:

I found reaction wheels on my rovers greatly improved stability, and setting them to SAS only.  

Thanks for reminding me of that techniqe. I joined the forums a bit after my kerbal zenith. You saved me a lot of anger nontheless. Appreciate it.:D 

Being able to change the reaction wheels to pilot or normal in a hurry can also be useful if you find your rover airborne and the ground below is a significantly different angle to your rover. I've set up a custom action group for this, although I've yet to perfect adjusting my rovers flight to be parallel to the ground I'm about to land on...

I'll say that you're definitely faithful to Mad Max, explosions and all.

When I run rovers, I go as far as to remap the rover wheel controls to the number pad (and use 5 as a secondary brake) while leaving the reaction wheels set to default.  That allows me to control the wheels without also trying to flip anything over, but also leaves me with reaction wheels for levelling while airborne (vacuumborne?).

...Of course, that usually only makes it so that my Kerbals survive, not the rover.

Have you considered widening the wheelbase?  I have some luck with putting the front wheels on a wider stance while leaving the rear wheels closer together--in other words, adding a 1x1 panel (or even an I-beam) to each side of the front.  For me, that keeps it from tipping diagonally when I try to stop and reduces the side-to-side rocking without adding too much to the mass and general wobbliness of the whole.

Edited by Zhetaan

3 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

I'll say that you're definitely faithful to Mad Max, explosions and all.

When I run rovers, I go as far as to remap the rover wheel controls to the number pad (and use 5 as a secondary brake) while leaving the reaction wheels set to default.  That allows me to control the wheels without also trying to flip anything over, but also leaves me with reaction wheels for levelling while airborne (vacuumborne?).

...Of course, that usually only makes it so that my Kerbals survive, not the rover.

Have you considered widening the wheelbase?  I have some luck with putting the front wheels on a wider stance while leaving the rear wheels closer together--in other words, adding a 1x1 panel (or even an I-beam) to each side of the front.  For me, that keeps it from tipping diagonally when I try to stop and reduces the side-to-side rocking without adding too much to the mass and general wobbliness of the whole.

Where's the fun, mad max and explosions in wider wheelbase? :D Yeah, I will make it wider. and the controls are a solid idea, thank you for input.

I'm going to have to look into the controls for my rovers. Might make it easier than a custom action that changes the reaction wheels between 3 different settings with no way of telling what setting they are on without right clicking on a reaction wheel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.