Instructions for building a space station?

dogeGAMr

Has any on made a thread with step by step instructions on how to make a space station if any one hasn’t can some one do that

Edited by sumghai
Edited thread title for clarity and removed unnecessary tags

Welcome to the forums. You may need to be more specific as to what you're trying to build.

A space station is just a craft in long term orbit around a planet/moon. If you look back on early real life space stations like Salyut or Sky Lab  they were just a single craft sent up in a single launch. Later on other ships carrying crews would dock with them. Larger stations like Mir or ISS were comprised of many modules launched separately and docked together using docking ports.

A good starting point to building stations is to learn how to rendezvous and dock craft together. Once you know how to do that you can build as big or as small as you want.

Here's a very basic tutorial

Here's a more detailed explanation of rendezvous:

Edited by Tyko

There's no right or wrong way to make a station. :D If it's in space, has a control part, and a power source, it's a station. Anything you add beyond that is optional. You could add fuel tanks to serve as a gas station, or science parts for research, or living quarters for residents, or whatever. Get creative with it. 

3 hours ago, dogeGAMr said:

I would like to build a station like then ISS but I’m not that good a building rocket

Do you just mean you'd like to build a station the same way the ISS was made, launching it piece by piece and docking the pieces together, or do you also want the end product to look as similar to the actual ISS as possible?

2 hours ago, FinalFan said:

Do you just mean you'd like to build a station the same way the ISS was made, launching it piece by piece and docking the pieces together, or do you also want the end product to look as similar to the actual ISS as possible?

I’d like it to be as similar to ISS as possible

55 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

If you don't care about how you get it up there, you can use HyperEdit to teleport pieces (or the entire thing) into orbit from the VAB.

Is the a mod or is it stock because I can’t mod I’m playing on ps4

On 8/10/2018 at 3:31 PM, dogeGAMr said:

Has any on made a thread with step by step instructions on how to make a space station if any one hasn’t can some one do that

All depends on size (that’s what she said jaja), The biggest the station, the more planified it must be, for example in a 5 piece station all you need is a electric module, scientific module, crew module and finally a trust module+scape module.

For example this little stations are very good for beginners as if you love up with the orbit you will be able to push the station back in orbit easily with the thrusters and if you need to turn the station the parts will hold up pretty well.

In a 50 part station for example, you will face new problems:

-Moving the station forward too fast or with a miscalculation will probably end up on the station out of control

-turning too fast will make your space station a finger spinner

-turning with the wrong SAS settings will release the kraken!

-Even the minimum bad movement when undocking or docking can destroy the whole station

I've just built my first station in Real Solar System modded KSP.  As it's way more difficult to get to orbit in RSS, I built a complete station on the ground, which included modules for science, habitation, communications and power, and then I broke the station down to parts that could more easily be lifted in to orbit.

Where I separated the parts, I made sure to put docking ports on each side so that the parts could be put back together again in space.  Doing that I ended up with 4 separate modules that would need to be launched and assembled in space.  The first part I launched was the core, which included my science, and some habitation.  My comms and main habitation were added next, followed by my solar energy array and finally the main habitation module.  As the modules were different sizes and weights, I used lifters designed specifically for each module to get them to orbit.

To build a station like this, you need to be comfortable doing rendezvous and docking, which is a useful skill to master in any event. 

The alternative is to build a much simpler station that can be lifted to orbit in a single launch.  Obviously this will be easier to put in to orbit, but it usually means that your station will be more basic.

This is a couple of images to showing a single launch station being put in orbit.

1stat01.jpg

1stat03.jpg

1stat04.jpg

And this is an example of a much more complex station that can be built by breaking it down in to separate modules which are then assembled in orbit, much like the real ISS.

RSSstation.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

My suggestion: Start small. If you have stock crafts enabled, take the stock space station core and get it into space. Deploy the solar arrays, and rotate the station so that the arrays are roughly perpendicular to kerbin orbit (basically straight up and down). There you go, a basic space station.

From there, learn how to dock (absolutely critical, if you're not adverse to mods, get Docking Port Alignment Indicator, it is a godsend with docking), and add on to your station. Maybe add a fuel module, or more habitation, or maybe a science module. Whatever you want. Once you've gotten that down pat, then you can go hogwild on the mods to get the parts needed to actually replicate the ISS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.