[1.12.x] KerbalGPS Revived

linuxgurugamer

On 10/1/2018 at 2:37 AM, Zah said:

Could this possibly interface with kOS?

Not at this time

On 10/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, Anis Ben Amor said:

First Post so please have mercy. I hope this is the right place because I couldn't find anything elsewhere. I'm trying to finish the "Create a KerbinGlobal Navigation Satellite System" contract and everything works fine until I complete the second satellite. After I return to my Launcher and have to wait two orbits before releasing the third one the 5 hour timer restarts every time I stop time warping. Which makes finishing this contract impossible. It only happens with the third satellite I was able to time warp when releasing the second one. Am I doing something wrong or has that happened to anyone else before?

Thank you!

What "5 hour time"?

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, Anis Ben Amor said:

First Post so please have mercy. I hope this is the right place because I couldn't find anything elsewhere. I'm trying to finish the "Create a KerbinGlobal Navigation Satellite System" contract and everything works fine until I complete the second satellite. After I return to my Launcher and have to wait two orbits before releasing the third one the 5 hour timer restarts every time I stop time warping. Which makes finishing this contract impossible. It only happens with the third satellite I was able to time warp when releasing the second one. Am I doing something wrong or has that happened to anyone else before?

Thank you!

I also had some weirdness with the contracts.  With the first Kerbin launcher, I had the 5-hour countdown reset on me a couple of times, but it eventually marked that contract parameter complete once I got all 3 satellites in a 1588km circular orbit. However one of the 3 was out of position due to me waiting for that 5-hour counter to expire (instead of 3 sats being roughly 120° apart, one of them was about 30° behind the second). I had more trouble with the Mun GPS contract: the target orbits had both periapsis and apoapsis set to -100,000 meters. I realized this after about an hour of trying to get more and more precise with my orbit without it being recognized, and then realizing why the target orbit wasn't showing up in map mode: its within the Mun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 10:32 PM, Lithapofevgon said:

I also had some weirdness with the contracts.  With the first Kerbin launcher, I had the 5-hour countdown reset on me a couple of times, but it eventually marked that contract parameter complete once I got all 3 satellites in a 1588km circular orbit. However one of the 3 was out of position due to me waiting for that 5-hour counter to expire (instead of 3 sats being roughly 120° apart, one of them was about 30° behind the second). I had more trouble with the Mun GPS contract: the target orbits had both periapsis and apoapsis set to -100,000 meters. I realized this after about an hour of trying to get more and more precise with my orbit without it being recognized, and then realizing why the target orbit wasn't showing up in map mode: its within the Mun.

I still haven't resolved the issue read somewhere that it might have to do with FMRS causing issues with contracts. About the Mun Contract I just did it yesterday. The Line Of Sight and the Satellites should be at 200000 km not 100000. At least the parameters of my contract say so and Resonant Orbit Calculator as well. But it was also bugged as hell. There was no Time Counter at all and after deploying the first satellite at the right orbit it would mark the whole sphere (the other two A2 and A3 as well) also as finished. But as a completionist I still did deploy all 3 in all Spheres. Now it's Minmus' turn 

Edited by Anis Ben Amor
Added

On 10/3/2018 at 9:42 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

What "5 hour time"?

If you are on a resonant Orbit on Kerbin 1,558000/1,088000 km your orbit Period is 2 Hours 30 and you need 2 Orbits between satellite deployment so after your first deployed satellit there is a 5 hours countdown in the Contract Tab next to each satellite ?checkmark?.

PS: Sorry I missed your reply and I want to thank you sincerely for all the Lords work you are puting into this community. Danke!

20 minutes ago, kananesgi said:

Does this work with different planet mods (Outer Planets, GPP, ExtraSolar Planets, etc)? Not sure how the coordinates are generated. I ask since there was a mention of a problem with the RSS mod.

As far as I know, it should work. The only problem some aware of all with contracts, not with the mod itself.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

btw does this work when literally using at another planet?

On 8/12/2018 at 2:56 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

contracts will be offered (one per orbited planet)

While never explicitly stated, it is implied by statements in the OP (such as the one above) and following posts.

5 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I just recognized that the module KerbalGPS of the FigaroReceiver has no block for the EC consumption, like the KNGPSantennarecvr.

RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.005
        }

Is this intended?

Yes, because it would be useless.  Once the satellites are in orbit, they will be on rails and won't use ec

39 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

btw does this work when literally using at another planet?

Or is it bound to homeworld?

Any planet

16 hours ago, lextacy said:

Do I really really need the dependencies? Ive read the functions of the dependencies but it says they have no function.

The dependencies have no *individual* function, they exist to provide functions to other mods. So yes, you really need them.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So I tried to be clever and wanted to include the transmitter and receiver into all command module no matter what (you can call it cheating, I call it being sensible my probe cores are advanced enough that they have GPS built in). 

So I wrote this in a little patch:

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[KerbalGPS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = KerbalGPS
		GNSSacronym = NONE
		EnableSBAS = FALSE
		EarthTime = FALSE 

RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.005
		}
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[KerbalGPS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGPSTransmitter
		gpsRange = 2500000
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.05
		}
	}
}

I have a feeling that it doesn't work properly though. I have the option for "Turn off GPS" and "Turn off receiver" showing when I right-click a command module but it doesn't say that any satellites are in range. I currently have 4 satellites in KEO for RemoteTech up alongside 3 other satellites I made for Kerbal GPS (in the suggest GPS orbit). 

Is there something I'm maybe missing to get it to work? Any help would be great :) Can provide a log and list of mods if required. 

@madindehead I guess that having both modules on the same part is creating issues. Did you check the logs for errors?

And btw you could have put both modules into the parts with one patch.

My suggestion, if you really want this:

Put the transmitter in non-crewable parts with command.
Put the receiver in crewable parts with command.

Or even put the transmitter in parts which are an omni antenna.

Edited by Gordon Dry

wait... why would you need the transmitter module *at all on your crewed vessles?*

That module is for parts that are actually *on the GPS sats*, that form your constellation...

Also, you dont need the :FINAL in the patch

Yeah I checked the log and nothing seems to be showing up. 

This error crops up a lot despite the icon being in the specified folder. I'll have a try with some of those suggestions. I like the idea of adding it to an antenna or unmanned parts :D

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

wait... why would you need the transmitter module *at all on your crewed vessles?*

That module is for parts that are actually *on the GPS sats*, that form your constellation...

Also, you dont need the :FINAL in the patch

Yeah I didn't think about that bit when I was doing it. I just sort of did it. I knew what the outcome would be (that all commands would have both parts) but I wasn't sure how to make it only go on unmanned or manned. I'm kind of new at doing this and only worked out what I needed to write from reading other patches :D 

OK. I was just basing the syntax on syntax used for the kOS for all and MechJeb and KER patches that I have installed :) 

Edited by madindehead

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hey for GPS and scan sat do i need an direct antenna ore relay antenna ore no antenna to use it with maned and unmanned vessels?

and combine the sat ore use the GPS satellites separate of the scan sat satellite

thx in advance

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For gps, you need a gps receiver on the vessel

i know but will the unmanned probe without a direct ore relay antenna not be disabled? 

so i can communicate with other vessels... and edit the orbit of the satellite

Edited by Ancalagon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.