"Rokkit Syense" in CW's "The 100"

sevenperforce

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

How do these stations even dock? Are they designed specifically to do it? It’s kinda unrealistic unless they were initially placed into almost the same orbit with precisely equal inclination and longitude of ascending node. Otherwise we’re in the territory of OP thrusters and fuels, and I don’t buy it.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.........  

4 hours ago, tater said:

Harvest eggs/sperm, then execute them.

There just might be some morale (and moral) issues with that. :) 

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I have read somewhere, and I forget where, that an entire population can be restored from 23 individuals.  Something like 7 male and 16 females, with very precise planning of who mates with whom, and who their offspring mate with for many generations down the line.   It does require specific offspring to be of a certain sex, but additional individuals in the starting population add margins of error.  So 2,000 people, with proper oversight of mating habits, will allow for the repopulation of earth. 

Interesting, that's surprisingly low. Although I'd imagine you'd need more than that to keep civilization alive. You need lots of specialized knowledge just to keep some kind of knowledge bank running, much less an entire spaceship. 

15 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Interesting, that's surprisingly low. Although I'd imagine you'd need more than that to keep civilization alive. You need lots of specialized knowledge just to keep some kind of knowledge bank running, much less an entire spaceship. 

That's the absolute minimum quoted in the study I read.  It takes very specific matings to occur, and specific offspring gender from those matings, and they are planned out many many generations in advance.  And there will be many various pairings between the population.  I think it was something like each male would have to sire offspring with most if not all of the females the first generation, and then those offspring would each have a certain individuals of the population they would have to mate with and create specific offspring.   It was a study done to revive endangered species,  not humans in particular, so the gene pools in those populations were already notably homogeneous. 

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

How do these stations even dock? Are they designed specifically to do it? It’s kinda unrealistic unless they were initially placed into almost the same orbit with precisely equal inclination and longitude of ascending node. Otherwise we’re in the territory of OP thrusters and fuels, and I don’t buy it.

To be fair you can just raise/lower your orbit by 10 km and wait long enough.

EDIT: ohhh inclination.... I mean its apparent that they were going by *in Soviet Russia, physics follow OUR laws*

Edited by 0something0

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

There just might be some morale (and moral) issues with that. :) 

I'm not changing whatever rules they established in the show, I'm just saying you could still keep their diversity if you care.

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Every time they when throw out somebody, they lose air. And they do this constantly.
And probably some pipe has a hole and when they open the airlock blows with such pressure that even things deorbit.

Also, this is how they deorbited the station.

I KNEW IT!

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ah yes, The 100. There was science involved in that show?

The worst of it is, there could so easily have been science involved in the show. It just would have taken someone who knows a handful of basic things:

Spoiler

"Had the missiles launched even a decade earlier, it would have been the end for humanity. Of course, there is no 'good time' for a nuclear holocaust. But a serendipitous coincidence gave the species one last chance. High above the now-scorched Earth, a cluster of giant ships had been making the final preparations to launch the second manned Mars mission, carrying everything that would be needed for a colony. An unmanned lunar-station supply ship, intended for a planned moon base, was slowly raising its orbit in order to make the lunar transfer. And a zero-gee manufacturing station, funded by a small group of billionaire capitalists, had just begun processing materials from a captured asteroid.

"There were those on the Martian ship which voted to leave for the red planet, but they were overruled. With no possibility of resupply from Earth, their chances at forging a permanent settlement were barely greater than zero. Instead, both the Martian ship and the resupply ship used their transfer propellant to rendezvous with the manufacturing station and lower it to just beneath the radioactive Van Allen belts. The derelict ISS 1 and ISS 2, which had been pushed out to a graveyard orbit decades earlier, were retrieved by a robotic grappler and stripped down for whatever bare essentials they could provide. 

"When Earth's survivors made their way to what few capsules remained and launched, they found a home waiting for them in orbit. An Ark."

See, was that so hard?

They appeared to land in the Pacific NW, sure, but they didn't seem to be all that far from "Ton DC." The main problem on the Ark appeared to be running out of oxygen, which should have been relatively easy to regenerate, especially if they could manage orbit-to-surface-to-orbit (but I don't recall them specifically having that capability).

I don't think they had that capability. In the first season, anyway. They can go down to the ground easily enough but they don't appear to have any return rockets.

As for asteroid resources, I think that was pure conjecture from the OP; I don't recall that ever being mentioned in the show.

Oh, there was no mention of asteroid mining on the show. I was just saying that stitching together multiple space stations isn't too far-fetched if you imagine that perhaps asteroid manufacturing capabilities would be operating a century from now.

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

... with a crew capacity of 100?

Nah, they have a couple of large dropships. The capsule was more of a hackjob.

11 hours ago, Gargamel said:

That's the absolute minimum quoted in the study I read.  It takes very specific matings to occur, and specific offspring gender from those matings, and they are planned out many many generations in advance.  And there will be many various pairings between the population.  I think it was something like each male would have to sire offspring with most if not all of the females the first generation, and then those offspring would each have a certain individuals of the population they would have to mate with and create specific offspring.   It was a study done to revive endangered species,  not humans in particular, so the gene pools in those populations were already notably homogeneous. 

Hmmmm....I have to wonder whether men or women did that particular study.

14 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Ascending node can be mostly handwaved on the assumption that all orbits would be roughly circular, but yeah, inclination has gotta hurt.

The stations end up being connected with a thin little tube running unreasonably long distances between each one. The station is then rotated around the long axis to produce artificial gravity. The buckling moment on that little tube would be immense....also there's no reason for it to be, like, hundreds of meters long between each "station".

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

There would be much time, and little to do...

a ratio of say, 10 females to each male...

Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, tater said:

Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Oh, how convenient.

Don't get me started on The 100. I enjoy the show, though I couldn't tell you why, but absolutely everything involving any kind of science makes me cringe. Pointing a rocket towards the ground and firing the engines is not how you make it re-enter... That's probably the biggest and earliest cringe, which they've done multiple times afterwards. But it just does not get better.

I don't normally complain about things like this, but the show is obviously trying to be hard sci-fi. And it does it completely and utterly wrong.

44 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Don't get me started on The 100. I enjoy the show, though I couldn't tell you why, but absolutely everything involving any kind of science makes me cringe. Pointing a rocket towards the ground and firing the engines is not how you make it re-enter... That's probably the biggest and earliest cringe, which they've done multiple times afterwards. But it just does not get better.

I don't normally complain about things like this, but the show is obviously trying to be hard sci-fi. And it does it completely and utterly wrong.

Here's that deplorable re-entry capsule scene....

Spoiler

First, let's put a pithy label on the gigantic lever to fire the retrorocket pack. Which makes no sense, because if this thing runs on hydrazine, then you'd just use the regular thrusters to do a deorbit burn:

retro_lever.png

Raven is instantly pressed back into her seat with at least 3 gees of force. So evidently the deorbit engine is also the unused LES? I dunno.

Gout of fire coming out of the back of the capsule, pointing straight up into space:

retros_fire.png

And then, before the "retro" engines have even stopped firing, we hit the atmosphere:

fire_again.png

And this is the view THROUGH the freaking heat shield:

thru.png

So......yeah.

Spoiler
38 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

There are no less than seven (7) Robin Hood movies in various stages of production in Hollywood right now.

...and one Snow White.

33 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

So evidently the deorbit engine is also the unused LES?

Why not, this is a "Soviet era capsule", and TKS VA deorbit engine is used as a part of LES.

(So, probably Khrunichev center's design).

33 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

a pithy label on the gigantic lever to fire the retrorocket pack. Which makes no sense, because if this thing runs on hydrazine, then you'd just use the regular thrusters to do a deorbit burn:

The same. Probably they can't read captions in Russian, so made a sticker.

Btw not that pithy. It's popular.
Did you see to whom it's addressed?
Those two idiots flying in midair during the deorbit?
A stupid girl jumping into the unknown river?
Usually Freddy or Jason solve this problem, but this movie is too realistic for immortal maniacs performing a students' natural selection.
Happily this pack of lemmings had Raven. Otherwise the Ark would never know if the planet is safe.

Btw nobody of them ever left corridors.
Where is their claustrophobia?
Looks like they even haven't realized that there is no comfy ceiling and walls around.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I read just another example of how creatively bankrupt Hollywood is today: There are no less than seven (7) Robin Hood movies in various stages of production in Hollywood right now.

What are the chances even one shows that Robin Hood robbed the tax collectors...

23 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

@sevenperforce Its funny that they didn’t even need to hire a rocket scientist to get it all right. Average KSP player would be enough to polish most if not all of these ridiculous moments.

*snort* I can already picture a space-themed sci-fi show that hired a bunch of KSP players to consult, none of whom have any other science/industry experience. Asparagus stages and drop tanks. Struts everywhere.

I think I want to watch that.

5 hours ago, K^2 said:

*snort* I can already picture a space-themed sci-fi show that hired a bunch of KSP players to consult, none of whom have any other science/industry experience. Asparagus stages and drop tanks. Struts everywhere.

I think I want to watch that.

Also "Ops, something blew up, but we seem to be alive and the rocket keeps going. Mission status: Within parameters." 

7 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Also "Ops, something blew up, but we seem to be alive and the rocket keeps going. Mission status: Within parameters." 

Eh. That's basically Apollo XIII in a nutshell, so I let that slide.

The story used to be a novel ?

I'm guessing this is one of those stories that are better told as novels rather than moving images. Quite possibly the tech was a distraction from the key intricacies of the plays as is made in the book.

Why I'm often wary of labeling anything science fiction !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.