"Rokkit Syense" in CW's "The 100"

sevenperforce

Compared to Jules Verne's
fictional geography: the polar surfacing of Nautilus... yes, south polar one
fictional zoology: the Nau battles against the spermwhales; giant octopuses attacking the crew;
fictional electricity: Nau circumnavigating around the Earth just with one set of coal batteries; ballon crossing the Africa with water electrolysis and daily needs just with one car-type accumulator;
a moon cannon not smashing the crew inside,

100 has just several minor inaccuracies.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Compared to Jules Verne's
fictional geography: the polar surfacing of Nautilus... yes, south polar one
fictional zoology: the Nau battles against the spermwhales; giant octopuses attacking the crew;
fictional electricity: Nau circumnavigating around the Earth just with one set of coal batteries; ballon crossing the Africa with water electrolysis and daily needs just with one car-type accumulator;
a moon cannon not smashing the crew inside,

100 has just several minor inaccuracies.

Very fair.

To Verne's credit, however, he didn't necessarily have a way of knowing that all of those things were obviously stupid.

12 hours ago, K^2 said:

*snort* I can already picture a space-themed sci-fi show that hired a bunch of KSP players to consult, none of whom have any other science/industry experience. Asparagus stages and drop tanks. Struts everywhere.

I think I want to watch that.

"We're spinning out of control!" "That's okay; just warp for a second and we'll stop spinning."

"We don't have enough fuel to make the transfer!" "No worries; just hop out and use your RCS to push."

"We need to dock, but we are out of monopropellant!" "That's fine. Just turn down the thrust on the nuclear thermal engine."

"This maneuver will take 300 years." "So?"

7 hours ago, YNM said:

The story used to be a novel ?

I'm guessing this is one of those stories that are better told as novels rather than moving images. Quite possibly the tech was a distraction from the key intricacies of the plays as is made in the book.

Why I'm often wary of labeling anything science fiction !

My spouse kept saying the same thing: that they either stuck too closely to the book, or added in a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the book to begin with to stretch it out.

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Science Fiction these days seems to have more fictional science than real science...

Often if you strip the "science fiction" away from many science fiction they sell better in a different genre. That's my concern.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

To Verne's credit, however, he didn't necessarily have a way of knowing that all of those things were obviously stupid.

It's still an epic on the same (or even greater) proportions of Moby Dick, though. If you take the science away it's just Captain Ahab under the sea.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

My spouse kept saying the same thing: that they either stuck too closely to the book, or added in a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the book to begin with to stretch it out.

Yup.

I haven't read or seen the thing though, this is almost cold reading.

Edited by YNM

You know, I've seen far too many threads about any particular sci-fi series or movie being horrendously inaccurate. If it weren't for the fact that rocket scientist =/= expert computer animator =/= person with deep pockets, I'd suggest that the KSP community would try to produce a realistic, entertaining, sci-fi movie.

I did see that Austin McConnel made his own movie, what 10 years ago with a minimal budget using mostly volunteer work. Although he says "it's the worst movie ever" and it was mostly live action. If we used KSP RO with visual mods for the spacey bits, built convincing interiors (we'd only have to computer animate the windows manually) and spread that out with live action on Earth, this could be conceivably feasible. Now we just need a really good plot... No problem, we've got at least a dozen good writers here. We'd have to release it pretty much just to YT though to avoid copyright issues and we would not profit from it, unless we didn't use KSP for the spacey bits, which would drastically increase the amount of computer animation necessary...

The only issue I can see is getting all the right people in the same place to do the live-action bits, the set builders, actors, cameramen, etc...

And we can save money on actors. All the Kerbal characters look same. Only 1 M + 1 F are required.

Like in (WARNING! SPOILER!)  Orphan Black. Two actors, ~20 absolutely different characters. Sometimes up to 4 instances of the same actress/actor on screen at once.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.