[SOLVED] UI_Toggle boolean flipping

Can someone else confirm that I haven't lost my mind...

In the partmodule declarations...

[KSPField(guiName = "myToggleButton", guiActiveEditor = true, guiActive = true, isPersistant = true),
        UI_Toggle(controlEnabled = true, disabledText = "Off", enabledText = "On", invertButton = false, scene = UI_Scene.All)]
        public bool myToggle = false;

In the FixedUpdate

FASLog.Writelog("OnUpdate " + myToggle);

The logged output reads all False until I click the toggle and then... I get this

8/14/2018 4:13:58 PM: OnUpdate False
8/14/2018 4:13:58 PM: OnUpdate True

I have searched all of my code and those are the only two places where that variable appears.  I have ripped out the declaration, changed the variable name and smashed a few chairs trying to figure out WHY it's doing this.

Thanks

Edited by Fengist

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

My first guess would be your craft has three parts, or a part has three of your modules.

ya know what....

It's time for me to go to the house.... I should have known that.

I'm getting too old to write code. I'm forgetting more than I"m learning.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

My first guess would be your craft has three parts, or a part has three of your modules.

Well maybe you can  tell me this which is got me off on that stupid wild goose chase.

BaseField field = Fields[nameof(myUIToggle)];
                field.uiControlEditor.onFieldChanged = onGUIChange;

That works as intended in the Editor.  It calls on GUIChange when the toggle is clicked.  But it doesn't work in flight.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Which function contains those lines? Maybe onFieldChanged is only being set in the editor.

That's in the partmodule Start and it's before I check to see if it's editor or flight.  I moved those lines around so they're only called in the editor or called in fight with no difference. Supposedly, it's a callback to a function I named onGUIChange.  When the UI_Toggle is clicked it's supposed to call that function.  I'm trying to use the partmodule UI to open a main UI.  In the editor, it performs the callback just fine. I click on the UI_Toggle and it calls the function.  In flight... it does nothing. I've tried debug logging and it never even gets to the function.  I was trying to track down why or come up with a workaround when I went stupid with the booleans.

Edited by Fengist

9 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Admittedly this is a long shot, but try OnStart instead. I'm seeing conflicting explanations of the difference, but on the whole it sounds like OnStart is a bit safer / more consistent.

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know. Had enough facedesking for one day.

11 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Admittedly this is a long shot, but try OnStart instead. I'm seeing conflicting explanations of the difference, but on the whole it sounds like OnStart is a bit safer / more consistent.

Just checked. It was running in OnStart and not Start.

Stumbled on another way to do this.

Fields[nameof(openUI)].uiControlEditor.onFieldChanged = delegate (BaseField a, System.Object b)
            {
                FASLog.Writelog("OPEN UI");
            };

And again, it works in the editor, but not in flight.

And then... I saw the blatantly obvious answer

field = Fields[nameof(containsBalloonet)];
            field.uiControlFlight.onFieldChanged = onGUIChange;

It was staring me right in the face but I, and another old modder InfiniteDice simply did not see it.

Edited by Fengist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.