ipad

scouseyank

Can you get an iPad to calculate the physics of multiple objects on one object whilst simulating areo-forces and re-entry effects, and drawing orbits in the map view, drawing high quality planets like Kerbin and others, whilst calculating and presenting velocity and height values and rendering screaming kerbals?

Ah-hah, I don't think so.

Can you get an iPad to calculate the physics of multiple objects on one object whilst simulating areo-forces and re-entry effects, and drawing orbits in the map view, drawing high quality planets like Kerbin and others, whilst calculating and presenting velocity and height values and rendering screaming kerbals?

I have the NatGeo atlas showing a 3D representation of earth that can be rotated in realtime without any visual delays. I also have Real Racing 3 drawing highly detailed circuits at an acceptable framerate including cars kicking up dust when they go off-track, knocked off bumpers dangling around and the surroundings being reflected (as far as I can tell, realistically) on the curved surfaces of the car. So, to be honest, I'd answer that with a optimistic and admittedly speculative "yes."

Now, do I envision those clowns Squad hired to do the ports being able to pull that off? That is an entirely different question.

You can compare them. It might not be like for like but you can compare. For example I can compare the ancient hardware in a wii u to Intel skylake and say skylake is much more powerful despite a different architecture. It works because we are measuring the end result, in this example instructions over a given period or compute performance. We don't care how they achieve it we care about the measured results.

No, you can't. Results will depend on what you are testing : some architectures are optimised for some operations, other architectures for other operations.

Some operations will get a huge boost in performance with a large cache, others wont, etc...

This is why comparing the results on just ONE benchmark is meaningless : you have proven that A is better than B for this particular test, nothing more.

Can you get a cheap laptop to? I don't think so.

Keep in mind that many of the limitations of the editor are not enforced in the craft files. Additionally, they contain floating point values, which might end up slightly different on processors with different architectures. I am no expert but I suspect tablets do not use X86 based processors?

Surface tablets do (Intel i3/i5/i7), and I assume there are some cheapo Android tablets out there that do. Apple tablets do not. Luckily, everyone implements IEEE floating point math the same, so you don't need to worry about how that works across different platforms.

iPad Pro would probably be fine, I imagine it sits somewhere around the same performance level as a high-i5 to i7 surface, which runs KSP 'okay'.

- - - Updated - - -

Be realistic, you most probably could. The new ones are effectively surface tablets which run the game.

Coming from a non-apple consumer, just somebody who reads device specifications.

iPad Pro would probably be fine, I imagine it sits somewhere around the same performance level as a high-i5 to i7 surface, which runs KSP 'okay'.

Coming from a non-apple consumer, just somebody who reads device specifications.

It's an ARM processor, and therefore, performance compared to 'i5 to i7' is subject to extreme skepticism. We don't know yet, but we can probably guess.

It's an ARM processor, and therefore, performance compared to 'i5 to i7' is subject to extreme skepticism. We don't know yet, but we can probably guess.

Previous generations haven't been a million miles away, and the a9x is a good improvement upon their own hardware so I don't see why it would be far off, the 'shop display was impressive, yet their price point is still too high.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.