ipad

scouseyank

Not to mention all of the hullabaloo you have to go through to get an app workable and approved on the app store. Although it'd be very cool to see, even if it was only the VAB or something rudimentary. Long story short, it's not going to happen in the forseeable future.

• 2 years later...

it would only take as much development time as a full (scratch-to-finish) release to pull that off! yay!

plus -- them apple-folk is CRAZEY to boot!! with their "must-comply" policies on xcode and ICONS (of all things... priorities, eh?!) -- as an unwittingly-made iOS developer, I must say:

THEM APPL-PPL ARE NUTS!

fzzzzzzzz.......

rant complete...

I feel better now :rolleyes:

it would only take as much development time as a full (scratch-to-finish) release to pull that off! yay!

Pfsht... peanuts... :sticktongue:

plus -- them apple-folk is CRAZEY to boot!! with their "must-comply" policies on xcode and ICONS (of all things... priorities, eh?!) -- as an unwittingly-made iOS developer, I must say:

THEM APPL-PPL ARE NUTS!

No argument there... :D

I believe the viable approach would be a streaming app that runs the game on a desktop and streams it to a pad over the net. Although the controls could be a problem, even for VAB - I often find myself struggling with fingers on 3 keys at once, while manipulating the mouse...

Well, as KSP stores all its data in textfiles it is technically possible to write apps like a craft-creator. With integrated KER one can set up some test crafts, checking stats like delta-v or TWR on the go.

Maybe a export system can generte the .craft files for using with stock KSP.

The editor does not need to look like KSP's, it can be very simple.

Hm, the longer I think of it, looks like a cool project. I wanted to do some Android stuff for a long time.

However, it would take a lot time to get a working lpha-version, and time to spare is something I don't have much :-(

There's no way KSP can run on the iPad. If you really want to play on a tablet and if you can afford it you can probably run it just fine on the MS Surface Pro 3...

As for having a VAB iOS/android app. There was a thread on that a long time ago... That idea would be awesome and I wouldn't mind paying €10 for it! The only problem would have it include models from mods. But I guess that could be done by manually uploading the models to the app folder.

SQUAD IF YOU READ THIS... I BET A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY FOR A VAB/SPH APP FOR iOS/ANDROID!!!!!!

Sorry for getting carried away... :(

Keep in mind that many of the limitations of the editor are not enforced in the craft files. Additionally, they contain floating point values, which might end up slightly different on processors with different architectures. I am no expert but I suspect tablets do not use X86 based processors?

If more than one program for creating these files would exist, much care would need to be taken to keep the files compatible and consistent. If you cannot trust that the craft files from the tablet app work and are the same when transferred to PC, what is the appeal?

Sounds like asking for trouble for not much benefit tbh...

If you cannot trust that the craft files from the tablet app work and are the same when transferred to PC, what is the appeal?

Moar fireworks! :D And "a lot of trouble for not much benefit" is pretty much how I run my space program... Efficiency is over-rated. Ask any civil servant :sticktongue:

I cannot possibly comment on the technical feasability of such an undertaking, however.

As far as I know mobile processors use the ARM instruction set which is in fact, different, from x86/x64. But considering the fact that it's so """easy""" to port unity applications to android/iOS I don't know how hard it could be to port the VAB. I mean... That's the point of using SDKs and APIs... To not have to talk with the CPU yourself.

An iPad would run KSP just as well as my toaster would lol

Agree with marce that a real tablet like the Surface has a much better chance at running it decently. Especially once U5 version is working.

My personal opinion? While this might be fun, considering the amount of work still needing to be done in standard KSP, the bugs to be fixed, the features that would be welcome - if Squad was to divert any production powers to that iPad project, at cost of the standard game, let me say NO, THANKS. If iPad VAB means slower development of the KSP, then I'm wholeheartedly against it.

An iPad would run KSP just as well as my toaster would lol

Agree with marce that a real tablet like the Surface has a much better chance at running it decently. Especially once U5 version is working.

real tablet
real tablet
real tablet

And an iPad isn't a real tablet?

Someone else mentioned it was a toy and I agree. They're easy to use and locked down so that it's easier for kids and old people to use them. Heck I'd even take an android tablet over an iPad. At least android is more customizable and has more apps for real productivity and isn't always behind the curve. First choice is definitely a Surface Pro though. Hard to beat a full blown OS tablet.

Regarding the required specs for this topic no... No it's not.

On the other hand the surface is so massively overpowered that maybe the surface is the one that's not a "real" tablet...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.