Lets play KSP, or wel just forget it.

10min for loading screen? yikes! i wait about 2min to load 20 mods and stock loads almost instantly.

what i often do i start the game and hit the 'windows" button and start using the internet until i hear the music start, at least that way you dont stare at the same loading screen which feels longer watching it. kind of like waiting for water to boil.

I had that problem, 5 mins plus to start up with no mods at all.  Then i bought a new PC, by no means top spec, but now KSP (with a few mods) starts up in less than a minute easily.  How does KSP run once opened?

Could be your machine is in need of an upgrade.  A system check and 'purge' (as @Curveball Anders suggested) won't do any harm, and is a good first option.

8 minutes ago, pandaman said:

A system check and 'purge' (as @Curveball Anders suggested) won't do any harm, and is a good first option.

Note that I said check the utilization of cpu and disk _during_ the startup.
As in system monitor or whatever tool applies to your OS.

If the system falls into a coma without hitting either cpu nor disk then it can be that Dear Unity is trying to scan an available but unused interface, and gets stuck there until it times-out.

ps.
Culprits are often unused firewire interfaces or vpns
ds.

Edited by Curveball Anders
forgot

5 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Note that I said check the utilization of cpu and disk _during_ the startup.
As in system monitor or whatever tool applies to your OS.

If the system falls into a coma without hitting either cpu nor disk then it can be that Dear Unity is trying to scan an available but unused interface, and gets stuck there until it times-out.

ps.
Culprits are often unused firewire interfaces or vpns
ds.

Sorry, misunderstood your meaning, thanks for the clarification.

I've got a 4 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, and everything that matters on SSD -- and it still takes just under fifteen minutes to start.  Of course, Realism Overhaul's many mods add a lot of parts, and then there are the 55,856 patches...

Speaking of which, I just launched the game to load in the background while I read the boards.

4 hours ago, PGTART said:

A game that is started frequently but killed often after 10 minutes when i lose all joy due to waiting.

Yeah something's amiss here. I'm running a 2012 Mac Mini and my KSP game has 50 mods installed (3200 patches). From when I double click the KSP icon to playing the game is around 2.75 minutes.

Edited by GDJ

I usually boot up KSP, go cook and eat a meal, do some laundry, walk the dog, and then come back to play KSP. 

Tabbing onto other windows is also an option.  I mean, computers can multitask pretty dang well. 

In fact, as I type this, KSP is loading up right now. 

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I usually boot up KSP, go cook and eat a meal, do some laundry, walk the dog, and then come back to play KSP. 

Tabbing onto other windows is also an option.  I mean, computers can multitask pretty dang well. 

In fact, as I type this, KSP is loading up right now. 

Totally this. ....I mean do you sit there looking at the loading bar for 10 mins? Even if you do surely the wait is worth it.....

5 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

@soulsource That's interesting -- do you know if that bug also applies to Linux?  And how would I tell if that's affecting my load time?  Even at 4 GHz and loading from SSD, my system takes three-plus minutes to load the stock game.  Not a Steam purchase, if that matters; I bought it direct from Squad.

I'll repeat myself, check what's holding the loading back.
Personally I use gkrellm to monitor what's going on on my Ubuntu 18.04.
It'll tell you if it's cpu, disk or something else that's slowing you down.

I had a 2012 HP something-something PC and it used to take upwards of 5-7 minutes.

I bought a new thingy-ma-bopper a couple months ago and 'ZOOM! ZOOM!', less than it takes to get an ice cream and return.

I've only got stock with Kerbal Alarm, MechJeb, KAS and.... Planetary Habitat, or what's-it-called.

[Edit: I also have Waypoints.]

Edited by Mahnarch

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I'll repeat myself, check what's holding the loading back.
Personally I use gkrellm to monitor what's going on on my Ubuntu 18.04.
It'll tell you if it's cpu, disk or something else that's slowing you down.

I don't have gkrellm installed -- and like most other things that come up in Ubuntu, there are fifteen or twenty tools to do a particular thing, several of which won't work in the DTE you use, several more of which won't tell you the exact, specific thing you need to know (even though their description in the package manager makes it seem like they do), and one or two of which actually do what you want -- if you can find them and figure out how to make them dance (at least one of those is a command line utility ported from BSD in the 1990s, and you need extremely cryptic command line arguments to get what you want).

I run Ubuntu Mate 16.04, and use htop most of the time for that sort of thing -- it's preinstalled, text-mode, runs in a terminal window.  It shows CPU load and RAM usage, broken down by process.  I've also got a Conky on my desktop that shows overall load individually for my eight cores, plus disk I/O, and a frequency monitor in my top status bar (individual clock speed for each core).  Problem is, the CPU monitors generally report all cores at 100% because I also run  BOINC tasks (MilkyWay@Home and Einstein@Home).  They're prioritized so they don't (shouldn't) get in the way of any other apps, but they soak up any unused CPU capacity.  That and load balancing (switching process from one CPU to another) makes it hard to see if it's just KSP saturating its one core, or the fact I'm using SATA instead of a direct PCIE connected SSD.  For what it's worth, though, my system gets yellow clock with about 1/10 the vessel Nathan Krell's does in his videos, and starts KSC at about 1/10 the rate as well -- suggesting all I need is a 40 GHz CPU.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:01 AM, maceemiller said:

Totally this. ....I mean do you sit there looking at the loading bar for 10 mins? Even if you do surely the wait is worth it.....

No, never.  Been playing for many years and I still don't recognize all the loading screens. 

7 hours ago, Gargamel said:

No, never.  Been playing for many years and I still don't recognize all the loading screens. 

haha same! when loading I put the kettle on and wait for the theme music to start playing......once youve seen "combobulating discombobulater" once...... :)

I would say your PC is the problem, not KSP.  I load KSP which has 50 mod folders in the Gamedata folder (though some of those contain dependency files for mods, so the actual number of mods should be a bit less than 50), and applies 3775 patches during the load process, in 1 1/2 minutes.  I haven't timed a vanilla install, but it's obviously quicker than that.

I've got a 3+ year old HP Pavilion I3 laptop and when I load KSP with 36 installed mods and 1285 patches it takes about 3 minutes to fire up.

Another tip which may help is to use Janitors Closet to purge unwanted parts.  I also got rid of the KSpedia files.

MM

1 minute ago, Mike Mars said:

I've got a 3+ year old HP Pavilion I3 laptop and when I load KSP with 36 installed mods and 1285 patches it takes about 3 minutes to fire up.

3 Minutes? Congratulations! :)

I'm running KSP on a i5 MacMini with 16GRAM and 2.3GHz. And it takes 10. :D 

Edited by Lisias
(sigh) typo

37 minutes ago, Lisias said:

3 Minutes? Congratulations! :)

I'm running KSP on a i5 MacMini with 16GRAM and 2.3GHz. And it takes 10. :D 

Just timed it and time to fire up was actually 4:36.  I have 8 GRAM and a 2.3 GHz.

For me, pruning unneeded parts with Janitors Closet seems to make a big difference in boot up time.  Would be interested in other player's thoughts.

MM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.