Craft name group

They're part of space exploration. 

You could say "yeah but water transport may be a sort of exploration too" but the humanity haven't sent too many submarines into space, right? Maybe because there is not much liquid. And rovers are all over the place (okay well mostly on the red planet but I think you get the point)

And finally - yes, probably it's possible to put a boat on top of a rocket, but that's a bit unconventional and probably not the main point. As in, not the point the majority of users would go for.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

They're part of space exploration. 

You could say "yeah but water transport may be a sort of exploration too" but the humanity haven't sent too many submarines into space, right? Maybe because there is not much liquid. And rovers are all over the place (okay well mostly on the red planet but I think you get the point)

And finally - yes, probably it's possible to put a boat on top of a rocket, but that's a bit unconventional and probably not the main point. As in, not the point the majority of users would go for.

It is only name group if you don't like it don't use it.
Same as with rovers, we need then for exploration and in KSP we have planets with lots of water, so there is a reason why you would want to put boat on top of rocket.

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

It is only name group if you don't like it don't use it.
Same as with rovers, we need then for exploration and in KSP we have planets with lots of water, so there is a reason why you would want to put boat on top of rocket.

I think a better option would be to include 2-3 custom vessel designations, but have like a list of 10-20 different Icons the player could set them too. 

I have no need for a boat icon, nor a submarine icon.  But I really could use a Mothership icon, a Miner Icon, a fuel depot icon,  and a few other things.  So I could assign my 3 types to the 3 I want, and Cassel could assign his 3 to types of boats, etc.   

Making the types of icons a mod-able asset would also be nice, so players could just use a simple icon editor to create a new type. 

10 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Maybe that's because it's not a game about boats and submarines, but about spaceships and planes.

But....Naval Battles Thread......

Although yes, most people never try to make submarines and boats. Unfortunately. Might be why the aforementioned thread went dead :D

I concur with @The Aziz and @Gargamel's sentiments.

As per the title of the game, this is Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Vehicle Simulator, so naturally, the default Vessel type designations available in the stock game would be ones most commonly associated with contemporary space exploration (i.e. no boats or submarines).

I definitely like the idea of reworking the Vessel type designations to be defined via CFGs and icon images, so that modders and players can customize and extend the available options as desired.

5 hours ago, KerbalChamp2006 said:

What about drone ships to land boosters on? Arent those boats?

Yes, drone ships used as landing pads for reusable boosters are boats.

However, using boats to recover boosters is completely optional to the typical gameplay experience, and they do not play an active role in the actual exploration phase of a space mission (being ancillary support contraptions). So excluding them from the default vessel type filters makes sense.

20 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Well, they should add propellers for plane. And we use it for boats.

Aircraft and ship propellers are fundamentally different due to the different densities of the working fluids involved (air and water respectively).

I suspect the reason we haven't seen any stock propeller parts is because at the end of the day, this is Kerbal Space Program, and while jet engines for spaceplanes are understandable, rotary-wing or turboprop engines aren't, and so propellers are usually the domain of third-party mods.

[MOD - And now, a friendly reminder - let's please stay on topic regarding which new craft categories should be added to the vessel types filter. Thanks!]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.