How to build real small rocket?

martyns1234

You cant find cheap vodka?

I havnt heard of a vodka rocket before, so stop me if Im wrong, but a 60% water solution doesnt sound like it will make a rocket work.

12 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Some political content has been removed from this thread. Please keep political content away from the forums.

Someone managed to shoehorn politics into this tiny thread? Thats some dedicated work!

You need to get above 100 proof to burn in air so you'd probably want something closer to 150-190 proof.

The Walter HWK 109-509 rocket engine used in the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet interceptor burned a hypergolic mixture of hydrazine, alcohol, and HTP. At full throttle, burning 177 pounds of propellant per second, it could develop 14.7 kN of thrust, so that's a specific impulse of around 185, give or take.

A homemade alcohol-peroxide rocket would be a horrible, horrible idea, because you will very likely blow yourself up, but it could probably break 120 seconds of specific impulse.

21 hours ago, martyns1234 said:

I want to build a real small vodka rocket using like a 1 liter of vodka,

first how to build the rocket 

Where to get cheap vodka

how to launch it

Cant believe I forgot to put this in my original response!:

Welcome to the KSP forums!

Heres a link to an excellent book that answers a lot of questions that are common on this site, its a link that is shared very often amongst us:

https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

If you're interested in the construction of any kind of liquid-fuelled rocket, it is required reading (dont worry, its not an academic textbook, its a good read).

It might give you some insight into how good an idea it is to build a rocket from scratch without industrial support and a great deal of expertise.

**edit**

I tried googling for pictures of injuries recieved whilst experimenting with rocket fuels and/or explosives.

Hint: do not google this if you want your stomach to feel ok today. Saw some stuff I really didnt need to see, and I was looking for something gross.

Edited by p1t1o

If you want to build your own rocket, there are quite a few safety concerns. I'm not an expert (never built a liquid engine, but researched it since I want to), but this is the safety basics:

Don't use frangible materials (such as steel) for your chamber. Copper is good.

Treat the firing engine like a grenade. Don't let anything that you don't want hit by shrapnel be within line of sight of the engine. Especially not humans. Protect your fuel + oxidizer tanks with a metal plate. Stay far away and behind an earth berm or shrapnel proof shield while firing it. Observe the test fire with a mirror or remote cameras.

Make sure there's nothing flammable nearby, and probably check with the fire department.

Make sure there's no way someone not part of the project could get anywhere near the test firing. Use airhorns, etc.

Don't take this as any kind of comprehensive list, there are many more ways untested high pressure devices can injure or kill you.

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

If you want to build your own rocket, there are quite a few safety concerns. I'm not an expert (never built a liquid engine, but researched it since I want to), but this is the safety basics:

Don't use frangible materials (such as steel) for your chamber. Copper is good.

Treat the firing engine like a grenade. Don't let anything that you don't want hit by shrapnel be within line of sight of the engine. Especially not humans. Protect your fuel + oxidizer tanks with a metal plate. Stay far away and behind an earth berm or shrapnel proof shield while firing it. Observe the test fire with a mirror or remote cameras.

Make sure there's nothing flammable nearby, and probably check with the fire department.

Make sure there's no way someone not part of the project could get anywhere near the test firing. Use airhorns, etc.

Don't take this as any kind of comprehensive list, there are many more ways untested high pressure devices can injure or kill you.

Ya think that thing will fly to space, i don't need oxidizer

ok aluminium

thx ill buy a grenade from local gun store

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Cant believe I forgot to put this in my original response!:

Welcome to the KSP forums!

Heres a link to an excellent book that answers a lot of questions that are common on this site, its a link that is shared very often amongst us:

https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

If you're interested in the construction of any kind of liquid-fuelled rocket, it is required reading (dont worry, its not an academic textbook, its a good read).

It might give you some insight into how good an idea it is to build a rocket from scratch without industrial support and a great deal of expertise.

**edit**

I tried googling for pictures of injuries recieved whilst experimenting with rocket fuels and/or explosives.

Hint: do not google this if you want your stomach to feel ok today. Saw some stuff I really didnt need to see, and I was looking for something gross.

Hey, i'm not new to forums ok

Is this some kind of self advertising?

i want to be next elon musk lol

3 hours ago, martyns1234 said:

Ya think that thing will fly to space, i don't need oxidizer

Air is almost never a good enough oxidizer for rocket engines. If you want your fuel to burn at any appreciable rate, you'll need an oxidizer.

Actually, if you're interested, I'm sure you can modify a burner first and see whether you got killed doing that. Then maybe you can get more confident.

PS. do not drink rocket fuel. :wink:

Well, it's the initiation test. If you're sure a burner won't kill you in any shape or form while modifying, working and testing on it, then the next task is to direct the flaming power so it actually produces thrust and not just pretty flame.

I've never done that though. I don't even trust myself with gas tank and regulator for stove.