The Dessert Derby 2018 setup

So you think summer is over ?

Well, guess again . . .

I'm holding a rally that will turn up the heat !                     

oqdxH2K.png

Objectives:

Design a transport that can take a rover to the Dessert.

UZgYDxm.png

Drive your rover from the Dessert Airfield to the Temple.

s7dI7x4.png

What I need from you is feedback.

Are you interested ?                    Do you have tips ?                          Should it be a timed race ?

Please let me know, the real event will start on September 1st.

UPDATE SAVEFILE START/FINISH FLAGS NOW AVAILABLE FOR V1.4.5. !

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hci71bkvna4pg1/AAAJNnnjdifoS16LQbMGwYnDa?dl=0

Goodluck gentlemen (M/F/whatever the X) ^_^

Spoiler

Worksheet for Derby.

- Fly to the temple/pyramids and plant a flag near the statue (if you don't know where it is, Google is your friend).                        scraped, a save file shows the temple location for you.

- Design a transport that can deliver a car to the designated waypoint (Dessert location, coordinates will be given)

Again, no time score, just presentation, you can show of your jet and if you like go FAST, but no points, only bragging rights (which I love).    Timed flight might be in the challenge . . .

- Set up your car on the location (flag/coordinates) and make a screenshot showing your time, start, drive as fast to the temple statue and make a full stop and screenshot showing your speed is zero and your finish time.

Calculate your travelled time, that will be your score.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(upload savefile + expl)

Test your pilot AND driving skills

Objectives:

- Download the savegame provided and add it to your saved folder (add expl)

- Design a car that can drive 22 km over dunes

- Design a transport that can deliver your car to the Dessert starting point (Savegame)

- Time your flight using screenshots (give example), from here you can pause if you like.

- Unload your car near the starting flag

- Start timing your start using a screenshot (wait for the seconds to be 00 for easier timing) (give example)

This challenge will test your design, driving and strategy skills.

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in a rally.

This rally will be more about braking than going fast.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

Catagories:

-timed flight + timed race

-timed race only

-flight time only

Tip:

Don't go building cars going faster then 30 m/s, you will only crash and gain no time.

Edited by Triop

18 minutes ago, qzgy said:

And........ what if you dont have the DLC? Could you provide some coordinates for an airdrop?

You mean the coordinates for Dessert Airfield ?

Good point, that's why I do this setup thingy ^_^

I can make a starting flag and give the coordinates, sure, no problem.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:53 AM, Triop said:

Are you interested ?

Yep :)

Do you have tips ? 

Nope, but a question: Is it required to take the path shown in your picture or is that just the route which seems to be the best to get through the mountians?

Should it be a timed race ?

Timed in a way 'you have 20 minutes to do it' or 'post your time and I'll set up a leaderboard'

I would say yes to the first case and no to the second case ;)

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Triop - yeah, no DLC here (refuse to buy it) so a marker for the desert airport is probably in order :wink:

I see a lot more people that don't have the DLC, but that's not a problem.

I will change the challenge by placing a flag on the location and give you guys the coordinates, or maybe I'll make a save file like I did with the Dakar challenge.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll place more flags and make it a 5 stage rally or something.

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Is it required to take the path shown in your picture or is that just the route which seems to be the best to get through the mountians?

No, It's just a guideline.

You can choose any route you like.

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Timed in a way 'you have 20 minutes to do it' or 'post your time and I'll set up a leaderboard

I guess we could time it from flag to flag using screenshots.

Thanks for the feedback guys &)

@Triop

It's a great idea, and a  bit different.   I suppose most folks know where the Temple is now, but you might want to put a spoiler alert at the top of your post just in case.

Re your little plane: Funny, I've got a little transport that is almost identical to that, except that it is an amphibious plane and I was trying to transport a mini hydrofoil. It's a work in progress that I have been ignoring for a while.

1 hour ago, dundun93 said:

Cool! Uhhhh... what are the required mods?

I guess I will do 2 catagories, stock and modded.

I will allow all mods, it's all about creativitie, looking forward to see what strange vehicles will come by. :lol:

The only main rule is that you DRIVE, so no hoovercrafts.

What do you guys think btw, should I add more stages or is the derby to the temple good enough ?

(Don't forget, you also need to design a transport for your car.)

Keep up the feedback, only 11 days left before official start. :cool:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/177707-i-need-a-badge/

Edited by Triop

I'd be interested (mostly since I already have a buggy that I have driven to the temple). If it is timed I think only the driving part should be: it's too easy to just spam Whiplashes on a cargo plane, going fast on rough terrain requires more thought.

More stages would be cool but there aren't really any landmarks close enough to a launch site to make a proper stage. I have driven up the southernmost peak of the mountain range west of the KSC (60-ish km drive, 4900 m climb and you can find paths that are never steeper than 20°); this makes for a more strategic stage as you need both speed and good climbing ability, as well as good range, but terrain seams get a lot more frustrating. And it's easily an hour long drive.

While we're at it, if you have a flat track to take a F1-style car I'd also be interested (mostly since I already have one that I have driven in circles around the KSC for too long).

Edited by Gaarst

Thanks Gaarst, I'll keep this challenge simple, no more stages.

I agree with only timing the driving. Timed screenshots by a flag will do the trick.

I know there is a mod that can time through gates, but sadly nobody wants to use that...

I'd love to see a new mod that could time a drive.

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

While we're at it, if you have a flat track to take a F1-style car I'd also be interested

I'd love that !

I tried it before, but there was no interest, it was called "The Grand K".

A video of my setup, 5 timed laps:

Or this :

Edited by Triop

Update, what I've got so far:

Worksheet for Derby.

- Fly to the temple/pyramids and plant a flag near the statue (if you don't know where it is, Google is your friend).

No time score, just presentation, you can show of your jet and if you like go FAST, but no points, only bragging rights (which I love).

- Design a transport that can deliver a car to the designated waypoint (Dessert location, coordinates will be given)

Again, no time score, just presentation, you can show of your jet and if you like go FAST, but no points, only bragging rights (which I love).

- Set up your car on the location (flag/coordinates) and make a screenshot showing your time, start, drive as fast to the temple statue and make a full stop and screenshot showing your speed is zero and your finish time.

Calculate your travelled time, that will be your score.

Edited by Triop

2 hours ago, Triop said:

The only main rule is that you DRIVE, so no hoovercrafts

*flashback to my previous Dakar entry*

I think airfield coordinates to temple is enough, but if you really want you can include an extended challenge to get to the top of that nearby mountain from the temple. Could make for some interesting strategies

14 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I think airfield coordinates to temple is enough.

I think not many people can drive there using coordinates only, finding the temple is hard enough for some people (which is fun) :lol:

Having a flag as a waypoint near the temple on your navball will make it easier and open to (allmost) everyone.

About the nearby mountain challenge, I suggest you can host it as a separate challenge, I'm in for that. :cool:

EDIT, I forgot, I need to place the coordinates for the starting point (dessert airfield) since not everybody has the DLC.

I will work on this tomorrow, keep giving tips, really helpfull.

^_^

Edited by Triop

6 minutes ago, Wrench Head said:

I'm up for the Semi Mod and Pro Mod Classes.

screenshot38_zpsqmjqxfy5.png

screenshot36_zpsdvmgl9hv.png

Both run on EPUs and Fuel. 

Looks cool, are they up for the job ?

How will you fly them to the starting point ?

35 minutes ago, Triop said:

I think not many people can drive there using coordinates only, finding the temple is hard enough for some people (which is fun) :lol:

Having a flag as a waypoint near the temple on your navball will make it easier and open to (almost) everyone.

About the nearby mountain challenge, I suggest you can host it as a separate challenge, I'm in for that. :cool:

EDIT, I forgot, I need to place the coordinates for the starting point (dessert airfield) since not everybody has the DLC.

I will work on this tomorrow, keep giving tips, really helpfull.

^_^

Oh yeah I totally agree driving there using only coordinates is hard, though I really meant more the edited bit (The Dessert Airfield coordinates)

Also, maybe I will.... We'll see.

You guys think I should make a savegame file with the 2 coordinates flags and use that ?

I guess not everybody knows how to use that savefile, although Kerbal Dakar was based on that...

I'm still not sure on how to do this :confused: 11 days left :lol:

Edited by Vanamonde