The Dessert Derby 2018 setup

13 minutes ago, Triop said:

Yes, BFKT is allowed.

(I have no idea what that is, but okay...:lol:)

Of course you do ... @Azimech came up with the tech a few years ago, used it in the Dakar :wink:

But then I created a mod that automatically controls the boost flaps, closing them if your rover goes airborne cutting off the thrust :cool:

(might need a recompile)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Starting trials, and looking good with a 13:19 time for the driving part (starting from the Dessert runway spawn, not the official start) with a few stops on the way to quicksave (and quickload because I still can't drive this thing without flipping it). That's an average of about 100 km/h over the whole course!

I already know I won't be attempting to beat records in the flight categories since it is too big to fit in a Mk3 bay, so I won't be able to shield it from drag. And since I don't like to spam engines, it will be a nice slow cruise to the starting point.

Spoiler

gEf7EoR.png

Edited by Gaarst

Don't go building cars going faster then 30 m/s, you will only crash and gain no time.

Definitely not the 59 I've been designing my cars to handle.
BUT....I'm a speed junky, so I have to go to therapy for that. ^_^

The vehicle I'm working has a good top end speed on the flat, but has some problems with spinning around, I plan to make this a stock run, so no steering sensitivity adjustment available, but If I can keep the spinning to the minimum I think I'm on for a good time. I've been testing my vehicle at the site and laid out some marker flags for the route I want to follow. Just need to build a vehicle to ship the rover there.

Going quite well so far, but had a few mishaps.

VXHujuM.png

Ah so close.

Edited by purpleivan

The vehicle I'm working has a good top end speed on the flat, but has some problems with spinning around, I plan to make this a stock run, so no steering sensitivity adjustment available, but If I can keep the spinning to the minimum I think I'm on for a good time. I've been testing my vehicle at the site and laid out some marker flags for the route I want to follow.

Going quite well so far, but had a few mishaps.

VXHujuM.png

Ah so close.

Started testing out my delivery vehicle today and it looks like I'll be getting a time for that in the 18-19 minutes range, so not quick, but I think I'll catch up time on the rover part.

Now where's that airfield?

5AGO3Xz.png

Taking the plane for a spin after dropping off the Velocirover at the airfield. I'll have to sort out my landing to be on the actual runway for the challenge run.

iia5EwV.png

Just did a proper end to end run of the delivery vehicle and got a wheel stop time of 17:43 with a night landing. There were a couple of mishaps along the way that probably cost me about 30 seconds, so with some better flying and removing some excess fuel, I'm hoping for a time of close to 17 minutes.

0zGaxTC.png

Edited by purpleivan

Let's see... 13:43 minutes and about 16 flips later, I think my first attempt at driving went well!

p5GLqf9.png

By the way @Triop, your save file includes an F-12 in the Spaceplane Hanger. Is that intentional?

Edited by Mjp1050
Paging Triop...

6 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

By the way @Triop, your save file includes an F-12 in the Spaceplane Hanger. Is that intentional?

No, it was used to place the flags and I guess I left it in.

It's a great jet thow, flies and lands easy. &)

Great work all you guys, I'm working on the last details right now.

42 minutes ago, Wrench Head said:

May I ask why we are building transports? When we can launch from hanger to Desert runway by tap?

Sure, The reason you build a transport is to make it more difficult.

(and it's Dessert Airfield btw, just trolling :P). No serious, it's Dessert Airfield. <_< . . .

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Dessert_Airfield

But seriously, the challenge has changed.

Dessert Airfield is no longer the starting point since some people don't have the DLC.

We will now use a savefile that has 2 flags: start and finish.

Updates will follow.

Does anybody have a good way of clamping the vehicles in the cargo bay? I've tried docking ports, booster decouplers, ramps to wedge the vehicle in, etc.

Locking the vehicles brakes doesn't work. The vehicle just slides to the back of the loading ramp.

2 hours ago, GDJ said:

Does anybody have a good way of clamping the vehicles in the cargo bay? I've tried docking ports, booster decouplers, ramps to wedge the vehicle in, etc.

Locking the vehicles brakes doesn't work. The vehicle just slides to the back of the loading ramp.

I'm using a decoupler (left attached to the aircraft on separation) plus a few struts to hold my rover in place. Seems to work fine.

Delivery vehicle is now tweaked and brings the Velocirover to the Dessert Airfield in a little over 14 minutes.

lgOKDgE.png

I had some issues lining up with the runway on approach, even with a flag planted at the South end of the runway and another about 20km North of it as guides. This is partly due to the view of the airfield on approach from the North, being blocked by low rise in the landscape. So unless I wanted to try a really steep descent (my flying skills aren't up to that), then I needed something in the landscape to line up with.

This was my solution, which is now parked about 3km North of the end of the runway. Seen here having a wheel fixed by Bill.

Pm26D8W.png

Big enough for me to see it from a distance and dark enough to contrast well with the sand.

WGynhOK.png

Nothing like preparaton.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:28 AM, GDJ said:

I use docking ports, backing up the car into the cargo bay is the hardest part...

Make sure the docking ports are at the same height and you will be fine.

The claw might be a better solution I think, depends on the shape of the rover I guess.

Decouplers are the easiest way, but only for a one way trip.

Impressive machine @purpleivan :cool:

4 hours ago, Wrench Head said:

Ah now locking or docking to lifter is issue, I use airbrakes on the inside to block down my truck.

Cool, any pictures ?  Very creative.

23 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

So I made a rover, and it seems to work rather well!

Nice design, I did the same once and it works.

eycc8BF.png

On 8/26/2018 at 5:05 PM, Triop said:

Dessert Airfield is no longer the starting point since some people don't have the DLC.

I'm curious... is there a big difference between the flag and the Dessert Airfield? Because I have the DLC, I would prefer to use it.

I have KER and can relay the exact coordinates of that airfield in a few hours, if needed.

Edited by Dark Lion

On 8/30/2018 at 7:00 AM, Dark Lion said:

I'm curious... is there a big difference between the flag and the Dessert Airfield? Because I have the DLC, I would prefer to use it.

I have KER and can relay the exact coordinates of that airfield in a few hours, if needed.

In addition to this questions, what point on the airfield should we be starting from if I have the DLC?

All the test runs of my rover have been done from the spawn point at the southern end of the runway, but I don't know if that's going to be the actual start point on Saturday.

Ignore the question, I download the save file with the flags, so now I know where the start is.

Edited by purpleivan