[1.10.1] Dodo Labs - v1.3.1 - Stockalike Electron

tygoo7

On 9/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Couple of minutes, but well. I do it and when it's okay I send you the package via PM.
Using good ol' https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP/releases for it.

Thanks for the PM, I will check this out later and bundle it in an update. :) 

Edit:

I found the issue that the staging order of any of the parts is weird, when I attach them under a tank the staging icon appears on top in stage 0 or 1, when the amount of stages is already 4 or more.
I have seen that with other mods as well over the years but I don't know what the reason is.
Update:
One of the parts is the reason, because ANY part that I attach gets its staging icon placed in stage 0.
I assume that it could be the Pretorian Bus which triggers this behaviour, but not for sure.
But I remember that I have read some time ago that KSP becomes confused when the upmost stage got an engine in it.
And this setup is so that the Pretorian Bus got an engine within.

I feel like this is more of a KSP issue than a mod issue since I have no idea how I could've caused it.

Last but not least:
I had to stack two long lower stage tanks to have a proper rocket with less than 2.5 TWR (sigh) ... but then the engine fires for such a long time that it needs too much EC ... and the upper stage is without EC then.

21 hours ago, FatherOfGold said:

Is Electron's TWR supposed to be 3 at liftoff?

On my end the rocket has a TWR of 1.41 with the LEO Photon and a TWR of 1.29 with the Interplanetary Photon. :P

21 hours ago, FatherOfGold said:

Also the interplanetary photon doesn't fit in the fairing. And the 9 rutherfords can't induce a rotation on Electron. Can you fix that?

There's 2 options here, I could either remove the side tanks which are seen on the real photon or you could just widen the fairing. This part was a little tricky for that reason so I'm not sure if I'll keep the side tanks in the future to be quite honest. As for rotation, I'll look into it. :) 

On 9/19/2020 at 12:59 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I use a stock atmosphere with FAR.

I also tested it with RealisticAtmospheres (+ FAR), but the TWR stays high. > 2.5 with one long tank on the first stage.

I’ve got the same TWR problem. Stock aero, default JNSQ atmosphere, only mods JNSQ, all the visuals, other parts mods, and the dependencies. Interestingly, it’s exactly twice as thrusty as it should be. 

Dropped update 1.3.1 which should clear up some issues. I haven't the idea why, but both of my installs had some weird config that changed every engine thrust so that's why I thought the TWR was low and buffed it. I have reverted it back to a normal 1.28.

Download available in OP.

Full changelog:

Spoiler
  • Reverted engine cluster thrust, TWR should be normal now
  • Removed cylindrical tanks on interplanetary photon so it would easily fit in fairing
  • Converted all textures to .dds thanks to @Gordon Dry

7 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I'm not sure that's the same issue. It never shows any delta V, even when I put a command module with a parachute on top of it.

I've seen this with other mod parts in my modded save so I'm leaning on its a squad issue.

When i place the Aerodynamic fairing it i can't actually make the fairing appear, i'm pretty sure that its a mod i have installed, (or am i missing something) does anyone know what it its (its not restock btw) or do have to post my mod list?

Edited by Specia1
added information

@Specia1 Could be because already in the part config the ModuleProceduralFairing is used?

As it seems the ModuleProceduralFairing is part of stock KSP nowadays - somehow. @SQUAD how is that?

How can that be - even with exactly the same module name as the module of the mod ProceduralFairings? @pap1723

This also confuses MechJeb @sarbian btw - assuming that it's the "real" ModuleProceduralFairing it finds but then it's the "stockish derivate" and the automatically fairing deployment does not work.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Specia1 Could be because already in the part config the ModuleProceduralFairing is used?

As it seems the ModuleProceduralFairing is part of stock KSP nowadays - somehow. @SQUAD how is that?

How can that be - even with exactly the same module name as the module of the mod ProceduralFairings? @pap1723

This also confuses MechJeb @sarbian btw - assuming that it's the "real" ModuleProceduralFairing it finds but then it's the "stockish derivate" and the automatically fairing deployment does not work.

I don't have Procedual fairings

1 hour ago, Specia1 said:

When i place the Aerodynamic fairing it i can't actually make the fairing appear, i'm pretty sure that its a mod i have installed, (or am i missing something) does anyone know what it its (its not restock btw) or do have to post my mod list?

Are you on 1.10 (not 1.10.1)? There was a bug in that version, fixed in 1.10.1, that caused modded fairings to not work. The easy solution is just to upgrade to 1.10.1.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, The Everyday Kerbonaut said:

Sorry for the bump, But what are the fuel sizes? I am trying to put a Mk1, Mk2, Or Mk1-3 Command Pod, And the pods are bigger then the tanks

0.9375 metres, about halfway between size 0 and size 1. The OKTO and HECS probe cores should fit nicely there, and the mod also adds the Pretorian probe core (irl Rocket Lab's Photon).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.