[1.10.1] Dodo Labs - v1.3.1 - Stockalike Electron

tygoo7

36 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

By tank size I mean length, not width.  Sorry if I was unclear.  The whole point is this particular width that allows the matching of the electron platform.

Any other width would be smaller to match any accompanying probe equipment.

Ah I see. I'll look into adding some.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

It turns out that if you strap on 6 Electron First stages, you can get an entire Electron to orbit, but you do need to use the first stage for orbital insertion, but it still has half the tank full!

Now, the real question is, how many Electrons do you need to launch a Proton :confused:.

20 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

-Added Kick Stage Part

Tried this out today. I'll probably take a balance pass on this one as well. As it is now, it is waay more capable than the real thing, at least from what I can tell.

This is what I could do with a tiny relay probe on top in a 2.5x stock system:

EaUhBtq.png

The Probe

KpilAi9.png

From what I have been able to gather, the real thing uses an unknown "green" monoprop for the curie engine, and based on the size of the tanks and stuff, it probably has a Delta-V of around 100-200m/s with 150kg payload. The one you see in the picture there has more like 1000m/s of Delta-V. Also the the thrust is way higher on this, at 2kN, compared to 120N on the real thing. Now for gameplay purpouses, I think it is perfectly fine to have more than 120N of thrust, on the kick-stage, otherwise the burns will just take for ever. Part of the purpose of the kick stage though is to be able to put payloads in to very accurate orbits, so it makes sense to me at least to have it with a low thrust. Also The real thing allegedly uses cold gas RCS thrusters, and is able to be controlled, so that it can de-orbit it self after payload deployment, so it would be nice if there was either a set of teeny tiny RCS thrusters to go with this, and also give the kickstage a very rudimentary probe core.

Also, a part suggestion: a realay antena similar to the stock HG-5, but without the long stem, so that it better fits with the small probes this thing likes to launch.

6 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Tried this out today. I'll probably take a balance pass on this one as well. As it is now, it is waay more capable than the real thing, at least from what I can tell.

This is what I could do with a tiny relay probe on top in a 2.5x stock system:

From what I have been able to gather, the real thing uses an unknown "green" monoprop for the curie engine, and based on the size of the tanks and stuff, it probably has a Delta-V of around 100-200m/s with 150kg payload. The one you see in the picture there has more like 1000m/s of Delta-V. Also the the thrust is way higher on this, at 2kN, compared to 120N on the real thing. Now for gameplay purpouses, I think it is perfectly fine to have more than 120N of thrust, on the kick-stage, otherwise the burns will just take for ever. Part of the purpose of the kick stage though is to be able to put payloads in to very accurate orbits, so it makes sense to me at least to have it with a low thrust. Also The real thing allegedly uses cold gas RCS thrusters, and is able to be controlled, so that it can de-orbit it self after payload deployment, so it would be nice if there was either a set of teeny tiny RCS thrusters to go with this, and also give the kickstage a very rudimentary probe core.

Also, a part suggestion: a realay antena similar to the stock HG-5, but without the long stem, so that it better fits with the small probes this thing likes to launch.

Interesting, I did indeed rush the balancing on the kick stage, I'll admit that. Just wanted to get this update out ASAP.

I could add some tiny little RCS thrusters and a probe core to it, that seems easy enough.

Nice antenna suggestion, I'll keep that in mind for when I add some payload parts for this.

3 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Just rememebered. The kick stage decoupler doesn't show up in the staging menu, and it decouples the top, instead of the bottom.

It doesn't show up in the staging menu because if it did, when you activate the engine in the staging menu, you also activate the decoupler at the same time. I also made it decoupler from the top on purpose because that's where the satellites go. I may add another decoupler for the bottom portion but I'm not sure if I could differentiate that in the right-click menu.

7 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

It turns out that if you strap on 6 Electron First stages, you can get an entire Electron to orbit, but you do need to use the first stage for orbital insertion, but it still has half the tank full!

This is good info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, Barzon Kerman said:

Maybe, it looks pretty similar to the electron rocket though.

Edited by tygoo7

• 3 weeks later...

@tygoo7 Almost forgot about this, but here you go. Re-balanced kick-stage, no with similar performance to the real thing for 2.5x solarsystem. It is now a monoprop engine, and has a fuel capacity that makes sense for it's size. Also commented out the decoupler module, because it causes some minor issues. KSP seems to refuse to calculate Delta-V for the engine when there is a decoupler module on it, seems that it gets triggered when the engine is staged together with a different decoupler, even though the decoupler function is disabled in the VAB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k65xo0d8j73qh0/kicker.cfg?dl=0

Hey all! Apologies for slacking on this mod a bit, been busy with my game. I'm taking a break from it this week though so I'm looking forward to make some new stuff for this mod, maybe that Tycho Brahe @Bill the Kerbal mentioned.

11 hours ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

@tygoo7 could you add Heat 1X/Tycho Brahe? It would be nice to have other early game crew options instead of just the mk1 and reentry pods.

I forgot all about that rocket, but I love the look. I might actually make it.

4 hours ago, neistridlar said:

@tygoo7 Almost forgot about this, but here you go. Re-balanced kick-stage, no with similar performance to the real thing for 2.5x solarsystem. It is now a monoprop engine, and has a fuel capacity that makes sense for it's size. Also commented out the decoupler module, because it causes some minor issues. KSP seems to refuse to calculate Delta-V for the engine when there is a decoupler module on it, seems that it gets triggered when the engine is staged together with a different decoupler, even though the decoupler function is disabled in the VAB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k65xo0d8j73qh0/kicker.cfg?dl=0

Thanks! Will put this in the next update!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This mod ain't dead, not yet. Electron revamp coming soon(and by soon I mean like couple weeks or so).

Planned features for this next update:

• Electron revamp featuring texture switching and other cool things!
  • Parafoil thing so you can land the first stage and save on funds!
  • Maybe some more things, idk.

dWbddsi.png

10 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

This mod ain't dead, not yet. Electron revamp coming soon(and by soon I mean like couple weeks or so).

Planned features for this next update:

• Electron revamp featuring texture switching and other cool things!
  • Parafoil thing so you can land the first stage and save on funds!
  • Maybe some more things, idk.

Is this how you're relaxing now that The Deer is done? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.