Plane Balancing issues

I created my own wing with a mishmash of stock parts, but when I fly a plane using that wing, it tilts to the right for some reason.

I use symmetry, so I have no idea what's causing the tilt.

Is it just a bug? Or something else?

I resorted to using a small hardpoint on the left wing to balance the plane, but it's really hard to calibrate, and the plane still tilts.

It's hard to say Coldie without being able to load your craft file, it looks to me that you have tilted the wingtips slightly, so my guess is that airflow over the wings is making one wing twist slightly more than the other, generating slightly more lift.

Maybe try adding some struts to the wings? I can't see from those tiny images if you have struts or not, I suggest you upload the images to Imgur and replace those thumbnails with links to the images in image tags :)

I've also noticed in .16 that my aircraft tend to very slowly roll to the right, and I think there was at least one other person who reported this as well. Happens on radically different designs, at varying altitudes and headings. Avionics mode slows it but doesn't stop it. But it's such a slight thing that it's hard to reproduce consistently, which is why I haven't submitted it as a bug report.

I've seen it mentioned that there is a bug related to this but some of it is also down to design factors. A narrow wheelbase or wheels mounted on parts that flex easily can cause it to be unstable while on the ground. I've found wheels widely spaced and attached directly to the heaviest and stiffest parts of the machine work best.

Machines that are badly balanced back to front also seem to suffer from this behaviour more than others so it's worth testing for that by using an air launch (i.e. held up with launch clamps).

Wheels are visually asymmetric but I don't know if that influences this.

This used to happen a lot on 0.15, as there were ongoing collisions between parts on the aircraft when those parts overlapped, this should have been fixed though as now parts are not tested for collision if they are part of the same vehicle :)

Maybe this is still going on due to other mechanisms though, so what you could try to do is make sure no parts are clipping through other parts.

Bigger pictures, just in case.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5136/learjetii.pgn

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/434/airlineriv.png

(How do you embed them?)

Wheels used to be on the wings, but that appeared to be making the plane tilt wildly while on the runway, so I changed those.

These planes are (In my opinion, at least) very well balanced, they would fly by themselves if it weren't for the rolling...

Well, I'm making a bigger mishmash-style wing, going to see if the issue persists.

Edited by Coldie

I couldn't try your big plane because it requires a mod I don't have. But when I tried your smaller one I got a strong and extremely consistent roll to the left. That's less common than the right roll, but I have seen it in my planes occasionally. That's a very odd and interesting wing you put on that thing. :) It seems to work well, but it does have A LOT of overlapping parts, and that might be contributing to the problem. (Incidentally, I think you'll find that plane easier to control if you remove the outer pair of ailerons. KSP planes roll very easily, so those are making the plane flip around kind of violently.)

I tried the learjet and it took off fine for me. It was twitchy on the runway but not overly so and it does lean when you get it up in the air as well (and absolutely refuses to yaw) so I suspect something in your funky wing design is causing that. That was manually, using ASAS it's so smooth I didn't even realise it had taken off the first time I tried it.

Are you giving it full throttle on takeoff?

I couldn't try the other one, you appear to be using modded wheels on it.

Is it tilting during takeoff or during flight?

If the craft is tilting during takeoff, the angle of attack might be too great. If it is tilting during flight, the aerodynamic symetry might be off or the center of thrust might be off.

Thanks for all the help you've been giving me :D

Sorry, that was an updated version I put out, if you want to, the stock-version is here, but it's basically the same.

The whole tilted-wing placement was to contribute to stability (and discourage yawing), and the actual wing itself was mainly built for aesthetic purposes.

The issue I'm talking about is what happens when you leave the plane flying unattended.

When you leave it flying (as I like to do, especially without SAS) the plane gradually rolls to the side.

As for the strong left roll, that's an over-calibration of the hard-point I stuck there.

Thanks again :D

EDIT: So, my other mish-mash wing was finished, and it has the same problem, only towards the left.

It probably is some weird thing with the parts meshing, but I s'pose I'll just trim every time, and hope the next update fixes it.

Edited by Coldie