KSP Weekly: The Orbiters!

SQUAD

I'm going to echo a lot of the other posts. I like the new suits. Nice clean look for the suit, and no more weirdness happening with the RCS pack. Just like everyone else, I don't like the helmet. It needs to be brighter and doesn't look right without the stripes. I don't care which color scheme gets picked, just use the helmet of the old models. Keep it up @SQUAD, liking most of the changes so far.

Having slightly poor color vision I didn't even notice the blue one had red mixed in until I read the text, would have voted for a simple blue without red instantly but ended up voting for red. I don't like mixed color schemes like that, just looks uncoordinated unless the different colors serve a function.

Also I'm so late to the party I won't even ask for a slice of cake but the new helmets; nope. Brighter with a colored accent in the same color as the suit, preferrably switchable between at least three colors. Do this and you can... color me impressed.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The red bands on the helmet are iconic to Kerbal astronauts, at least for me. With the red on the suit, red stripes on the helmet would complement the look. Perhaps a thinner dtripe of red on the helmet would be a reasonable compromise.

That's a pretty good idea there!

15 hours ago, qzgy said:

As many others have mentioned, I like the original white and red helmet. The gray one looks too dingy.

As for the actual suit I feel as if all the webbing trim is a bit too defined. I would keep it to just the red and white though. no point to throw in blue too.

New jetpack is looking nice though.

I hate everything in the model except for the jet pack

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The red bands on the helmet are iconic to Kerbal astronauts, at least for me. With the red on the suit, red stripes on the helmet would complement the look. Perhaps a thinner dtripe of red on the helmet would be a reasonable compromise.

I concur

8 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I'm going to echo a lot of the other posts. I like the new suits. Nice clean look for the suit, and no more weirdness happening with the RCS pack. Just like everyone else, I don't like the helmet. It needs to be brighter and doesn't look right without the stripes. I don't care which color scheme gets picked, just use the helmet of the old models. Keep it up @SQUAD, liking most of the changes so far.

Indeed

14 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Cool. I really like the new suits (preferably red&white variety), although I'd make them more white instead of gray. But this is an improvement over the old design, no question there.

While you're at it, it would be really nice to something about the really ugly skybox and, if it's not too much to ask, Kerbol. It really needs a simple overhaul. No need for lens flares, just something that makes it look better than a crumpled yellow ball up close.

I concur about Kerbol and the skybox

10 hours ago, theJesuit said:

@SQUAD thanks for the update. Maybe a career mode for the suits to upgrade from the old to the new?

Also if you are playing around with the models can you please make that helmet ring part of the helmet itself so that mods that remove the helmet in a breathable atmosphere can remove the ring too.  This could mean we have kerbals in proper tuxedos* at the promotional dinners.

Peace.

*modder dependent.

EDIT looked at the high resolution image. Suit yes.  Helmet NOOOOO!

I also concur

New suits: Look crispy, I like.

New helmets: The new tint for the visor is good, but keep the old white and red please - you might as well have changed the green of their skin.. it's just not a kerbal anymore.

A comment I've seen no one make yet: I am not a fan of the way you've 'tucked in' the sleeves of the suit into the mittens and boots. A space suit is meant to be hermetically sealed... no amount of tucking is going to achieve that. Any chance that could be changed to being some sort of clasp-fit again?

33 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Eh... I prefer the old suits. the actual body looks nice and I like white and blue, but the helmet looks wrong and completely out of place. The red stripes were great, and the old one is clearly more detailed.

But the suit-helmet connection looks nicer now, doesn't it?

7 hours ago, passinglurker said:

hows this? I photoshopped away the rivets and brightened it to match the suit kinda like the real life MMU?

Thanks - that looks better to me.  Though to be fair to @SQUADI was going on the static pictures.  The animation looks a lot better in that regard.

1 hour ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

what happened to the parachute pack?

My guess is that it will still appear behind the shiny new EVA pack (or... perhaps... please, pretty please... instead of it, when the situation is right, or selected by player).

6 minutes ago, Laie said:

Old utilitarian that I am, I wonder why we have to chose a single color scheme. Seems like a good opportunity to make scientists and engineers stick out...

Yeah. Pilots with red, and engineers and scientists with blue or green... Tourists maybe yellow or nothing, although they don't go on EVA I think.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

A comment I've seen no one make yet: I am not a fan of the way you've 'tucked in' the sleeves of the suit into the mittens and boots. A space suit is meant to be hermetically sealed... no amount of tucking is going to achieve that. Any chance that could be changed to being some sort of clasp-fit again?

It's different from the current design, but I don't think there is anything unrealistic here. Apollo suits had boots that went on over the sealed inner boots, and had a collar that extended up from where the gloves attached.

Spoiler

a11det5964suit.jpg

1200px-Apollo_11_space_suit.jpg

I just had this crazy idea while mowing my yard, of all things... Here's hoping you'll forgive my rough scrape'n'buff of the old one in MSPaint :rolleyes:

T0nL9Ou.png?1

How about implementing our chosen mission flags on that big side panel of the EVA pack? Plenty of space there for it.

29 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

I just had this crazy idea while mowing my yard, of all things... Here's hoping you'll forgive my rough scrape'n'buff of the old one in MSPaint :rolleyes:

T0nL9Ou.png?1

How about implementing our chosen mission flags on that big side panel of the EVA pack? Plenty of space there for it.

That was already a thing on the old EVA suit. I reckon they'll keep it for the new one.

I would also like to add that the light on the Making History suits is really nice.  Its a warm yellow light that looks alot better in game (to me) than the current old suit lights which is very white and bright.

Could these suit revamps possibly use the nice new lighting that the MH suits use?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.